View Full Version : Commonwealth State Games of Virginia

miraclegro
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, i just got back from competing at my first Adult Silver level competition. I started off well, fast and really good, had a great sit spin, great spiral sequence, and then, well, i just tap toed out of the lutz, then fell getting ready to do the loop. Did the loop (late) but am not sure about the landing. Did footwork into the flip-loop, and i KNOW i two footed out of that, and that is normally my best jump. My camel spin and other jumps were very good after that, and my camel-sit. The spins were my best ever.

I just wish i knew why i came in fourth. I was sad because i wanted a medal so very badly, because i really think the State Games ones were super looking, and because i had asked special time off work to go, so i wanted to show my boss i came home with something.

I know i must re-work on that lutz, but i still have trouble after being off the ice for some time, to not get that stiff leg feeling. I am home now and my legs are very sore. I take Juice Plus, but don't know about any other tips. I was mostly mad at myself because i know what i am capable of, and i sort of fell apart. I have to shake this off because tomorrow is my Silver freestyle test. Any encouragement and tips will lift my spirits. Thanks.

Terri C
06-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I wasn't planning to do this competition, but after failing Bronze free last month, thought about it until it hit me that I was scheduled to work this weekend (I got called off today, though!). How was the adult attendance otherwise?
As for your test, take your time and don't rush. You can do it!

miraclegro
06-23-2007, 04:55 PM
We had a really good adult attendance, in my opinion. I think there were 5-6 in Bronze and 5 in Silver. One lady in Bronze i think should have been in Silver, and one in Silver was good enough to be in gold but perhaps may not have her axel yet.

I have to remember for myself, though, that until we got our own rink this year, i haven't been able to compete much at all. Maybe the nerves and muscles will get better over time? Where are you from?

Terri C
06-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Where are you from?

I live in Virginia Beach and skate in Chesapeake.

miraclegro
06-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I think we had some from your area--is that Tidewater?

Terri C
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I think we had some from your area--is that Tidewater?

The area yes, but I skate for Hampton Roads FSC

jenlyon60
06-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Remember there's a lot more to placement than just execution of elements.

Skating skills matter (quality, flow, relative speed), as does layout of elements. For example with 2 otherwise identical free skates, if one skater essentially places all their elements more or less along the long axis of the rink (plus or minus a few feet) and skater 2 fills the ice surface (i.e. the elements are placed in different areas of the rink surface), then in my mind I will probably give a bit of an edge to skater 2, especially at Adult Silver.

Also, revolutions in spins matter. If you're doing a spin combination with change of position and/or change of foot, and the guidelines call for 2 revolutions in position before the change of foot or change of position, the judges are going to look for 2 revolutions in position. In position means in the sit position or in the camel position, not on the way down to sit position or on the way into camel position.

For your test tomorrow, the best thing I can suggest is to go into the test with an "I'll show you" attitude, from the start, rather than a "I did lousy yesterday and I'm not really sure I can do this after all."

miraclegro
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Remember there's a lot more to placement than just execution of elements.

Also, revolutions in spins matter. If you're doing a spin combination with change of position and/or change of foot, and the guidelines call for 2 revolutions in position before the change of foot or change of position, the judges are going to look for 2 revolutions in position. In position means in the sit position or in the camel position, not on the way down to sit position or on the way into camel position.

For your test tomorrow, the best thing I can suggest is to go into the test with an "I'll show you" attitude, from the start, rather than a "I did lousy yesterday and I'm not really sure I can do this after all."

I know my spins had plenty of revs, and the placement of stuff good, i think i just did not execute all the required elements, and albeit some of the skaters were somewhat slower and more hesitant, i am fairly certain i just landed my jumps sloppy or didn't quite get them all in. The good news is the Silver test does not require a lutz or the footwork, so that bad memory will not be a part of my program. I just wish we could get feedback from the judges like we do on the tests. But thanks for your input....

jenlyon60
06-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I know my spins had plenty of revs, and the placement of stuff good, i think i just did not execute all the required elements, and albeit some of the skaters were somewhat slower and more hesitant, i am fairly certain i just landed my jumps sloppy or didn't quite get them all in. The good news is the Silver test does not require a lutz or the footwork, so that bad memory will not be a part of my program. I just wish we could get feedback from the judges like we do on the tests. But thanks for your input....

But you can, or your coach can ask if one or two of the judges have time to explain their placements. It may not happen almost immediately, as with a test, though. It will generally depend on which judge you wish to explain their placements, and when the judge(s) have free time on their schedule. Plus normally they will want a bit of time to pull their sheets and review the event. Judges normally take extensive notes during a freeskate as to what they saw, both element identification and quality-wise.

You may not get a definitive critique (i.e. as detailed as a formal critique) but you should get some sort of feedback.

miraclegro
06-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, i finally viewed the video and saw some things that need work. It's funny, but depressing, how video highlights EVERYTHING - even the things you think you did well. My spirals needed to be held longer, i think, but i also need to hold my jumps (checking out) longer to define the landings in case there would be any questions about two footing it or not.

Thanks a lot!

Debbie S
06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
But you can, or your coach can ask if one or two of the judges have time to explain their placements. I did that at NYI last year, with Jenlyon's help. :) What the judge told me was that my elements were OK and I had good speed, but my in-between skating and transitions were awkward. The program was about 2 weeks old, so some awkwardness was to be expected, but after watching the video and comparing myself to the other skaters, I realized the judge was absolutely right. Now, this was Pre-Bronze, and I'm sure that as a Silver skater, awkwardness was not your problem, miraclegro. But given that you fell and had a few other jump errors, it sounds like your program was just lacking a bit technically, as far as what elements were completed. If you fell, and no one else did, then that's likely to be reflected in the placements, b/c a fall does detract from the program. Did anyone in your event do an axel? That makes a difference, too. In Silver, where everyone has a lutz and probably a flip-loop or lutz-loop in their programs, missing those elements can really set you back.

Good luck on your test tomorrow. At least in a test, you don't have to worry about being compared to others, and I'm sure if you have good speed and good spins, and land the jumps, you'll pass with flying colors.