View Full Version : help...

ic3ang3l
06-22-2007, 09:48 AM
about 4 months ago i had a really bad knee injury from dancing. i dislocated it and tore some ligaments. now today is going to be my first time back on the ice. the doctors and therapists finally said i was ready. do you think that i will be able to skate? like is it lie riding a bike and itll all come back? i think im just worried that it will happen again. what should i do???

blackmanskating
06-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I am sorry to hear about your injury. I'm not too familiar with major injury (Praise be unto God) but I would definitely take it easy for a while. Your skating skills should come back to you. This may benefit you because it might be easier to unlearn some bad habits. Make sure your coach nurtures your confidence. Best wishes to you. Happy Skating 8-)

BlackManSkating

herniated
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
I hope your skate went well today. And, I agree to take it easy. Work on stroking, maybe MIF for the first couple of sessions and see how you feel. It will all eventually come back!! :)

Morgail
06-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I had a similar injury last year. I got back on the ice after about 6 weeks, and it hurt. I didn't do much the first time - no jumps and nothing that involved putting too much weight on my injured knee. It took a couple of weeks of skating and rebuilding my strength before the pain went away. The move that hurt the most was crossovers. I could my jumps again before I could do good crossovers again. The only jump I had lost was the loop, but I had only started landing it consistently about a month before I hurt my knee. It took a month or so to get that jump back.

I hope your first time back went well. It helps to ice your knee afterward. Do you have a knee brace? Getting a good one of those helped me with getting my confidence back. Good luck, and don't push too hard.