View Full Version : Hoisted on my own petard

kander
06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm suprised this hasn't happened to me before this. I landed a jump today and my toepick stuck in the ice on the landing. I went down like a corkscrew and the heel of my blade went right into my thigh with my full weight on top of it. Man did that hurt! 8O I'm going to have a mega bruise for the next month. Has anybody else ever stabbed themselves?

jazzpants
06-21-2007, 04:17 PM
WOW!!! That HAD to hurt!!! OWWWW OWWW OWWW!!! How did you get your toe pick got stuck in the ice??? That is really weird!!! 8O Did this happened during your lesson?

(And I thought my "click of death" today was bad....) :roll:

Sessy
06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
No, but I went over backwards with my toepick in the ice in february and I'm still trying to get the ankle to heal.
A girl in our class stabbed herself in the back of the leg, was a pretty bloody sight. She was limping for like 1,5 week before she could jump again.

Figureskates
06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
ouch...

Worse injury I had as a kid was when I was attempting pairs and she caught her toepick in the ice and we both went down and the back end of her figure skate sunk into my arm halfway between wrist and elbow....

Mom freaked and that ended my pairs career right then and there (in the emergency room!)

Rusty Blades
06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Haven't got a toe pick stuck in the ice but I managed to stab myself in the back of the calf with one during a fall. I have absolutely no idea how I managed that - the other foots shouldn't have been anywhere near there! 8O Wasn't anybody else around, so I couldn't blame them. Didn't even know I was stabbed until my coach said "You're bleeding!" Ruined a perfectly good pair of tights - there was at least half the foot still without holes!

Bill_S
06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I had a very close call once when my blade sliced my trousers open on my inner thigh, but it didn't cut flesh.

Uncomfortably close!

kander
06-21-2007, 06:52 PM
WOW!!! That HAD to hurt!!! OWWWW OWWW OWWW!!! How did you get your toe pick got stuck in the ice??? That is really weird!!! 8O Did this happened during your lesson?

(And I thought my "click of death" today was bad....) :roll:

I'm not sure why my toepick gets stuck, but it's happened a few times. Probably has something to do with my height and weight and landing straight down on the toe. When I could stand up again Charlie showed me the divot I left in the ice 8O

"Click of Death"??

jazzpants
06-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure why my toepick gets stuck, but it's happened a few times. Probably has something to do with my height and weight and landing straight down on the toe. When I could stand up again Charlie showed me the divot I left in the ice 8O

"Click of Death"??OH MY!!! 8O Too bad Charlie didn't have a camera phone to take the picture!!! (Yeah, that makes sense. I usually land very light, clean or not.)

My "click of death" adventure is written here (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=327143#post327143)!

Clarice
06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
This happened to a friend of mine during the dress rehearsal of a Christmas show we do with the local symphony every year. I was in the orchestra, so I didn't see exactly what happened, but he ended up stabbing himself in the thigh with the back end of his blade. We happened to have a dad who is a doctor present, who sent my friend directly to the hospital. He couldn't skate for weeks - it was quite a deep wound. He was Santa Claus in the show; luckily, the coach who serves as skating director for this show was skating an adagio number with her old pairs partner, so the pairs partner was able to step into the Santa role, too, at the last minute. The pants of the costume were damaged, so he wore black pants of his own with the rest of the outfit. The staff at the arena actually washed the Santa pants immediately and got all the bloodstains out by the end of the show. We mended them, and used the costume a few weeks later for our annual Skate With Santa event. My musician colleagues still ask how he's doing - they were shocked to discover that figure skating could be that dangerous.

double3s
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
I've stabbed myself multiple times with my blades. The worst (as in most humiliating) was working back crossrolls with my coach. He starts hollering "Opa! Opa!" and I think, "Wow, I must be doing great!" Er, no, he's trying to tell me there's someone behind me. I trip over this small person, go down backwards, and land with my skate crossed under my butt. I get up, wince, dust myself off, and continue skating. My coach skates away. And a few minutes later, one of the other skaters comes up to me and says, "I don't mean to be rude, but you have a rip in your pants." Not too thrilled with flashing my panties to the rink, I tie my jacket around my waist and continue skating. Coach comes to resume my lesson.

When I got home and examined the damage, I found my blade had sliced clean through both my pants and my panties, leaving my entire a** crack exposed, plus, a nice bloody gouge on one butt cheek. I still have the scars - physical and emotional!

3turn
The Great Skate Experiment (http://3turn.livejournal.com/)

dbny
06-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I can't remember where I saw this, and I can't remember if it was the triple flip or the triple lutz, but Kurt Browning slashed his leg on it three times badly enough to need stitches and doesn't do it anymore for that reason.

fsk8r
06-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I saw a girl once slash her own wrist in practice after LTS class. we never worked out how she did that when she fell. But thankfully it was more a scratch than a gash (trainer blades are good for something), she's lived on the story for years.

jazzpants
06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I have a nasty slash cut mark on my right knee from a very nasty fall I took trying to dodge a kiddie skater who just fell RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and I didn't have enough time to stop. Banged up my knee pretty bad and slashed it. Luckily the would is not deep enough to need stitches... just needed butterfly strips. (I'm not trying to make it into a big thing in case WeirFan06 reads this -- given she was trying to console me when she was bandaging me up from that particular fall by saying "Oh, geez! You big baby!!!" :roll: :P :lol: )

Still have that nasty scar too!!! It's my "war scar!!!" :P :lol:

kander
06-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Still have that nasty scar too!!! It's my "war scar!!!" :P :lol:

Yeah, skaters are the only people I know who carry around injuries like trophies :)

I just got a look at my own trophy and OMG...it looks like I've been shot. It's got that raw meat look to it 8O Can't wait to see what it looks like in a few more days.

chowskates
06-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm suprised this hasn't happened to me before this. I landed a jump today and my toepick stuck in the ice on the landing. I went down like a corkscrew and the heel of my blade went right into my thigh with my full weight on top of it. Man did that hurt! 8O I'm going to have a mega bruise for the next month. Has anybody else ever stabbed themselves?

Many years ago, I went for stroking session even though I felt like I was coming down with a cold. Just took some medicine and went on...

During the session, I kicked my blade on backward crossovers, sat down with my L leg under my R, and slid all the way to the far end of the rink. My L blade stabbed into my R thigh, and I still have a scar there - it is now already quite faint, but can still be seen...

What did I learn from that? Do not take medication before skating!

Now that I'm a few years wiser, perhaps that lesson should have been - do not skate when you are ill! :roll:

Sessy
06-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Whenever I have a cold, I'll go to the ice rink and do a double duty training (if an ice rink is available anyway) with LOTS of crossovers, jumping and other sweat factors. Clears right through a cold. If it doesn't, the cold lasts 2 days - not 2 weeks like usual.

Thin-Ice
06-22-2007, 03:49 AM
When I first started learning forward crossovers (you know, the pick your foot way up and step it over your skating leg kind?) I managed to stab myself with the heel of my right blade into and through my left boot and into my ankle just under that really knobby bone above the arch of my foot. I was the only one on the ice since it was a mid-week session during the middle of the day on a rink that never did any advertising. I had no idea I had done it (must not have hurt much or I was REALLY focused that day), until I was on my second time around the rink and noticed all these tiny little red dots near the wall (where I was skating). I couldn't figure out what they were and I was not looking at my feet (which at that point was a major victory). But I did notice the next time around there were twice as many red dots. It was just about time for the session to end, so the zamboni driver was headed to the zam.. and he pointed to my foot and said "Hey, you're bleeding" I looked down, and sure enough, those little red dots were coming from my boot. When I took the boot off there was a small amount of blood in the boot. I went to the doctor who said if I had stabbed myself anywhere else in that area I would have hit a bone or muscle or ligament or something.. but I managed to find the only place that it was just skin damage. No stitches, wore a butterfly bandage for a couple days and still have the lovely little scar to show for it. It was my only "war wound" for years, until I managed to get my "skater's tattoo" after falling right on my chin! So now I have skating scars on my head and foot!

Sonic
06-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Touch wood, no really nasty injuries yet, but one of my favourite habbits is kicking myself in my right shin with the tail of my left blade - mainly on flips and attempts at Lutzes or backspins. I usually have at least one scar there every week lol!

I even did it in competition, though didn't notice there was a hole in my tights and blood until about 20 minutes after I'd skated.

S xxx

Sessy
06-22-2007, 04:41 AM
Touch wood, no really nasty injuries yet, but one of my favourite habbits is kicking myself in my right shin with the tail of my left blade - mainly on flips and attempts at Lutzes or backspins. I usually have at least one scar there every week lol!

I used to do that too, fortunately I kicked a little lower and stabbed my boot each time. Had to stitch up my bootcovers about weekly till I learned to cross properly. Backspins on the spin trainer helped.

SynchroSk8r114
06-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Never stabbed myself...yet, although I have had my share of facial injuries, hahaha! :lol:

1. A few years ago, I was literally just standing on the ice and suddenly fell forward. The result: a huge black eye and a black & blue cheekbone. Lovely, I know...stand-still falls are by far the worst.

2. Fell teaching backward crossovers in a group lesson about three years ago. Yeah, that hurt. I felt okay and made it through the rest of the lesson, but by the time I got home an hour or so later, I had double vision, a mega headache, felt nauseous, and could not focus. Concussion #2.

3. When I was 10 or so and learning loop jumps, I somehow went down on the entrance edge into the jump, smacked my face off the ice, and had a nice cherry-sized, red scrape in the center of my chin. Don't ask how it happened...I have no idea! All I kept thinking was 'Did I lose any teeth?' I was okay aside from that little bruise, but I think it scared me more than anything.

4. When I was 8 years old, I was skating in a studio rink at my old rink, which for those who don't know, is an extremely small sheet of ice (about from the blue line to the end of the rink on a standard collegiate size surface). I was working on stroking, not paying attention or something, and accidently skated into a girl who was doing a layback spin. Her free leg sliced my left leg on the outside and just below my kneecap leaving a nasty scar. It didn't require stiches or anything...there was just a lot of blood pouring out of my leg. The best part: I didn't even know! I guess it just didn't hurt that bad or my embarassment was masking the pain. But before I knew it, my coach was like, "You're bleeding everywhere! We need to get you off the ice now!" A couple wads of gauze and some band-aids and I was back on the ice.

But by far, my worst skating accident ever:

When I was 11, I was finishing up the last five minutes of my private lesson and working on a two-foot spin. I don't know what happened - if I blacked out, lost my balance, what - but the next thing I knew I was sitting on a bench off the ice with what seemed like 20 people surrounding my about two inches from my face. Somehow when I fell, I managed to split my chin open and knock myself unconscious. My mom and coach ended up having to take me up the hill to a hospital about 3 minutes away from the rink; they thought I'd just need a few stiches, no biggie. Boy, were they wrong!

By the time I got off the ice and to the hospital, I had no idea what day it was, what had happened, anything! It was freaky. I do remember feeling extremely frustrated because when the doctors or my mom would ask me what day it was, I kept telling them Tuesday, even though it was actually a Saturday. I felt so bad because I knew how scared my mom was. The doctors took me for a CAT scan because they initially thought I had internal bleeding in my brain, stiched me up, and made me hang around a bit before releasing me. I had chipped a back molar, recieved 7 stiches in the left side of my chin (right on that bone - ow!), and had a really nasty concusssion.

Let's just say I must really love the sport to stick with it after all those injuries. To this day, however, I still don't like to spin...;)

flo
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Yup - and usually my first thought (after OWW is "are my thights/leggings ripped?"

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I haven't stabbed myself, as far as I know, but I've been stabbed, by the Husband! And have a pretty scar to prove it - the silly thing was, it was only a graze, so I've no idea why it scarred!

He has also stabbed another person he was dancing with, kicked her nicely on the knee. Again, it didn't hurt, particularly, she didn't double up or anything, but she bled like a stuck pig....

peanutskates
06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
When I got home and examined the damage, I found my blade had sliced clean through both my pants and my panties, leaving my entire a** crack exposed, plus, a nice bloody gouge on one butt cheek. I still have the scars - physical and emotional!

ROFLMAO!!!! that is of course really bad, but hilarious...

jazzpants
06-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Yup - and usually my first thought (after OWW is "are my thights/leggings ripped?"The whole irony in my injury is... the knee part of my pants were still in ONE PIECE!!! Nary a thread got cut on the knee!!! I'm still wearing those pants to this day!!! Very weird!!! 8O

Yeah, skaters are the only people I know who carry around injuries like trophies :)

I just got a look at my own trophy and OMG...it looks like I've been shot. It's got that raw meat look to it 8O Can't wait to see what it looks like in a few more days.Let's put it this way, my "trophy" isn't something I like to have during the summer months with wearing shorts and stuff. I'll have to settle for capri pants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capri_pants) to covers up the "trophy" but still be comfortable in warm weather. :roll:

blackmanskating
06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah I stabbed myself with my blade right in my shin. It was when I tried my first unassisted double flip. I completed the rotation but I messed up the landing. I fell with my legs still crossed so I tried to sit on the ice "Indian Style" but my left skate slammed into my right shin as I fell. I tore my pants and I broke skin so there was a little bit of blood. I was so mad that I tried it 2 more times that day. Landed it clean on the third attempt. The scar on my leg is a reminder of what I can do when I'm angry. LOL :halo:

BlackManSkating

southernsk8er
06-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Touch wood, no really nasty injuries yet, but one of my favourite habbits is kicking myself in my right shin with the tail of my left blade - mainly on flips and attempts at Lutzes or backspins. S xxx

I did the same thing on a flip attempt when I was first learning it. It kind of made a hole in my leg, and it left a nice big bump, too!

peanutskates
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I keep hitting my skate with the back of the other blade on the flip...

war trophies are only good when you were doing something impressive. like, "yeah, i got that big gash doing a triple axel... y'know how it is...". and NOT "i got the horrific looking scar doing ummmmm *ahem* standing still *ahem* yeah...."

sue123
06-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I was around 14 or so, and visiting my friend in NJ. We went ice skating and took her little sister with us. I'm skating around with her little sister, when we both went flying. She ended up landing on top of me somehow, and her blade kind of got stuck in the back of my boot, between my leg and the boot. We got ourselves untangled, and when we sat down, I took my skates off and saw I was bleeding a bit. Still have the scar.

I've never actually stabbed myself, I've certainly kicked myself a fair number of times. Once, I kicked myself and kicked hte leg I was on out from under me.