View Full Version : Lake Placid June Adult Week--Reviewed

DallasSkater
06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
What an awesome experience! I thought others might like to hear about it! (I am also secretly hoping others will want to go next year!)

There were about 35 participants total. I was told this is a lighter turn out than previous years. Many of the participants had come for many years during the same month. There were four newbies...I was one of them. I guess due to this fact, orientation did not offer much orientation! But after a day or two I felt old hat in getting myself from rink to rink and navigating the Olympic Center.

There were 17 hours per day of available ice for Adults alone! The USA rink was totally dedicated to us with many classes offered also on Lussi and 1932. It was unfortunate that the 1980's rink was taken to concrete during this off season. They said prior to our arrival, they took all rinks down for 6 weeks. The local skaters were naturally delighted to see us! giggle.

The classes started at 11 each morning and went through 6 at night. The available ice started at 7 am and you could skate most nights until 10! Despite warnings from the returning participants of overdoing it early in the week, my excitement about all that was offered afforded me a sore 2nd day there! I learned quickly to pace myself better. Classes ranged from all kinds of jumps and spins, doubles, dances, foot work, endurance stroking, patch from beginners on, MIF and even my favorite class which was creative movement...aspects of choreography and specific classes on IJS. The coaches were eager to schedule private lessons daily as well. There were off ice classes of fitness, Trampoline, ballet, stretch and even daily ball room dance classes.

The coaches are mostly national or even Olympic level athletes from USA and Canada mostly...but even Swiss and Italian. I felt rather cocky scheduling private lessons with an Olympic athlete but now love the pictures! giggle. (Sent those to my mother). They were all gracious, not shy to demonstrate their 'stuff" which is always nice and most expressed their excitement about working with us in a sincere manner.

They had little gatherings on several of the evenings. On evenings not officially scheduled there were participants holding get togethers in their condos...it was a friendly party crowd.

The last day we did an adult exhibition on the 1932 rink. This was open to anyone who wanted to perform. Most everyone had prepared a funny and entertaining number and several (including me..gulp!..did our actual programs). They did a group number too but it was a dance so I was not able to participate in that. Everyone was so supportive and it was a fun evening. It was my first time to perform a program outside of my rink ....my butt cheeks were shaking in my opening pose..I wondered if they could tell..giggle...with even my first jump..that is just a waltz jump...the crowd went wild....as if I had just landed a quad! From there I breezed through the rest!

Skill levels were quite varied. There were several that are basic in skills and could mostly skate just forward. Most were about bronze level with some silver attending. There was nothing intimidating between levels. The group was welcoming and enjoyed each others company regardless of level. You could take as many classes a day or skate your day away in any fashion you wanted. Many took daily lessons, several classes and several practice sessions. There was lots of socializing on ice with no one taking the whole thing too seriously.

I met and spent the week with figureskates from this forum...I even attempted his patch pattern after watching him! I learned all kinds of things about weather from him! lol.

Lake Placid is beautiful...there was so much to do outside as well. The weather was perfect. The in season was two weeks away ...so it was perfect to get to enjoy the town without massive crowds...no waiting in restaurants.....plenty of room for shopping in the many uniques stores. Hotels were within walking distance...Mountains, lakes, waterfalls....ski jump was open with people flipping right into a pool of water...Amazing!

Ok...Next year...who's going?

cecealias
06-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds great Dallaskater! Out of curiousity - What airport do you fly into to get to Lake Placid? Or did you drive up?

SpaMama
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Yea Dallas! I am so glad you went!!! Bet you didnt miss cruising one bit!

Got a surprise for you, but you have to read the "bundle of joy/little nuisance" thread..........................................

SpaMama

Figureskates
06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Dallas, I am so glad you had a great time.

It would be fun to get more folks from this forum up to Lake Placid next year, though I will probably see more of them up there in April for Adult Week.

I spent most of the time in the Lussi Rink working on figures. Also there was club ice for the Skating Club of Lake Placid on some evenings so I was able to skate until 8pm some nights, plus we had a club banquet on Friday night.

I can't wait for August Adult Week, with my new skates!

DallasSkater
06-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Cecealias: We flew into Albany and had a rental car from there. Sad part was that from DFW to JFK..no problems...but from JFK to Albany...a tiny prop plane. They lost all our baggage! A major anxious evening as of course my skates were in the bags! eeek! Partner convinced me to stay in Albany for 5 hours to wait for next flight. They bags came. We looked like total nuts hugging and near tears as my skate bag came around the corner! giggle. The drive to Lake Placid was 2 hours and 10 minutes....really pretty drive...and very easy! Are you coming to June week next year?

Spamama! Awesome. I can't believe I was not there for this little event! giggle. Are you going to do it again?

Figureskates: I know you will be happier in new skates....and yes, you are in the perfect location for all the happenings! Will make it next year! But just for the adult week. The whole AN will take a while for me! giggle.

Figureskates
06-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Figureskates: I know you will be happier in new skates....and yes, you are in the perfect location for all the happenings! Will make it next year! But just for the adult week. The whole AN will take a while for me! giggle.

New skates are a must.....coach's husband was literally remounting the blades every night during the last three days. The left skate was getting so contorted that the blade would bend. You would not believe the amount of shims that had to used....

cecealias
06-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Cecealias: We flew into Albany and had a rental car from there. Sad part was that from DFW to JFK..no problems...but from JFK to Albany...a tiny prop plane. They lost all our baggage! A major anxious evening as of course my skates were in the bags! eeek! Partner convinced me to stay in Albany for 5 hours to wait for next flight. They bags came. We looked like total nuts hugging and near tears as my skate bag came around the corner! giggle. The drive to Lake Placid was 2 hours and 10 minutes....really pretty drive...and very easy! Are you coming to June week next year?

DallasSkater - Thanks for the info! LOL isn't baggage claim crazy. I was looking into spending a few days there in september since i'll be in between cities in the northeast then. Sounds like a great camp - I might consider coming next June, although my schedule is always up and down so I can never really have any dates set in stone. Believe it or not I've had my eye on Lake Placid and Sun Valley since 1999 or thereabouts! It's always seemed to be just out of reach, and i'm never certain how to get there. Right now I'm torn between going to Lake Placid, Chelsea Piers, in NYC or Hackensack, NJ and staying in Boston for the 6 days that I'm free in the fall. NYC would probably be the easiest since it just a train ride away, but i'm debating if I should try something new.

SkatingOnClouds
06-22-2007, 03:54 AM
I am sOOOOOOOOOOO Jealous!!!

That sounds like an amazing experience. Coming from a tiny rink, with a handful of adult skaters, your event sounds beyond my wildest fantasies.

Your story will become my new "getting to sleep" bedtime fantasy. Sigh!

DallasSkater
06-23-2007, 06:00 AM
figureskates: Eeek to having to remount daily. Hurry and get the new ones! I learned from one of the other patch participants attending that there are special blades available that she bought on Ebay. Will you get something like that or just use regular freestyle type blades? Apparently they are designed to stay flat or something. I found it interesting as I would have assumed you would really need the edges. I stayed on edges to get around your pattern! (with additional pushes!..lol) Cannot imagine controlling it another way.

Skatingonclouds: Wish you could attend. You would have quite a travel distance though..lol. At least you are in a beautiful place! Giggle to sleep fantasy....yep, you have the AOSD bad!

saras
06-23-2007, 04:27 PM
figureskates: Eeek to having to remount daily. Hurry and get the new ones! I learned from one of the other patch participants attending that there are special blades available that she bought on Ebay. Will you get something like that or just use regular freestyle type blades? Apparently they are designed to stay flat or something. I found it interesting as I would have assumed you would really need the edges. I stayed on edges to get around your pattern! (with additional pushes!..lol) Cannot imagine controlling it another way.

Patch blades have a flatter grind - a FS blade has (for example) a 5/8" radius of hollow, a patch blades has a 1.5" to 2" or even 3" radius for those on the highest test levels. They allow you to do turns and to show only one edge going into the turn and one coming out - if you do the turn correctly. With a deeper grind, you'll have "flats" - much if not all of the turn will have tracings from both edges. That's b/c the deeper grind sinks into the ice further - so you can't help but have the other side's edge touch the ice too.

Of course no matter the grind, if you don't do the turn well you'll have flats anyway - your weight has to be .just.right.

it's a perfect activity for an obsessive....

Sk8pdx
06-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Yea Dallas! I am so glad you went!!! Bet you didnt miss cruising one bit!

Got a surprise for you, but you have to read the "bundle of joy/little nuisance" thread..........................................

SpaMama

WHOA~! It sounds like Hell :twisted: froze over and they're SKATING in there!!!
You actually did WHAT? SpaMama? :lol: :lol: I am almost regretting telling my employer I did not want to go to Dallas this year on our annual Biz trip. It sooo would have been worth seeing you! Guess I'll have to wait til next year.

DallasSkater: Wow, it sounds like it was a great time in LP for you. I dream of going there myself sometime if I can plan out enough time and $$. What a fun vacation to be able just to eat, sleep, dream of skating, and then wake up and get to skate. Scary about the late luggage though. Yikes! I would have cried tears of joy too being reunited with my custom Harlicks/Parabolic Coronation Aces if they were ever lost. Thanks for the review. :)

~sk8pdx.

DallasSkater
06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Saras: Thanks for the additional information. It was something about leaving one edge tracing that she spoke of...your message reminded me of that.

Sk8pdx: Start saving those pennies! I will meet you up there next year! Honestly, when it was all said and done... this vacation came to less than what we typically spend on a cruise that is a week long. We used Expedia and got the flight, hotel, and car together...under a 1,000 per person. Did not stay in a nice hotel..but it was in a great location for walking everywhere including the Olympic Center. We are never in the room anyway! Step outside and you have views to die for... The registration was 250 with a 50 dollar additional "processing fee" ...which I thought was rather high for little processing that it took. But this included all your practice ice, the social events with food and alcohol...(I don't drink but if you do ...well that is quite a deal). We had a fridge and micro in room and did take advantage of that too. The classes were 13 dollars a class. The coaches varied from about 45 to 65 dollars for 25 minutes. When I do excursions on cruises,,,it adds up quickly as well. I think it was money well spent.

I have come home with more comfort about my program...so much so that my coach has added steps and another jump combo in....I have better spin entry edges...camel is still pathetic but better than when I left for LP...and I swear the different feedback from each coach is repeated in me. I would have spent dollars on vacation anyway...this was just a hobby obsessive way to spend!

Hope you will strongly consider this for next year! It would be great to skate with you again and especially there! I think I am going to stick to June week since it is slightly pre season and just nice to have the town without crowds.

airyfairy76
06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
This whole thing just sounds amazing!

Do any UK skaters go to Lake Placid? This could be an idea for a future holiday . . . :lol:

Figureskates
06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Ordered new boots and blades yesterday and they should be here in a couple of weeks. That gives me about 5 to 6 weeks to break in a new pair of skates before I return to the August Adult Week in Lake Placid....

Price for new boots..$479
Price for new blades....$209
Looking like I know what I am doing out on the ice.............PRICELESS!

Figureskates
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Do any UK skaters go to Lake Placid? This could be an idea for a future holiday . . . :lol:

One year we had a couple from the UK make the trip...during the August session.

skatingdoris
06-26-2007, 11:10 AM
This whole thing just sounds amazing!

I would totally be up for this.
DallasSkater, it sounds like you had a ball :mrgreen: Thanks for all the info. Some of us were actually talking about going to an american camp next summer, after Sheffield was such a let down:( and tacking a holiday on to the end of it.

DallasSkater
06-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Figureskates: A huge congrats on selection of new boots and blades! Very exciting!

Airfairy and Skatingdoris: What a treat it would be to have UK forum folks there! It is in such a nice holiday location anyway..but you would also be only 5 1/2 hours from NYC...and about 2 hours to Canada...and an hour from VT! Lots of options to extend and make the trip with multi purpose! I vote YES for your vacation plans of next year! Know that I would be happy to help with any information you would need to trip plan!

(Ok..I am going to email LP and request a marketing fee or at least a discount to next year! ...giggle)