View Full Version : Feel the fear and do it anyway?

airyfairy76
06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
A little while ago, Clare posted about backward crossovers (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=23839&highlight=backward+crossovers) and the response to it was really helpful, regarding technique etc.

However, I seem to have a slightly stranger problem. Resting a finger or two on my coaches hand (currently in a Skate UK group class), apparently I can do them "beautifully". I have been told that it is me doing all the work, and there is no reason why I cannot do them on my own.

Take those two fingers away, and I turn into a quivering mess! When I started these, I took a bit of a nasty backward fall, and jarred both my wrists which was painful for quite a few weeks. But I just cannot regain my confidence with them - I think it is a vicious cycle, the more I worry, the harder they get in my head and then, the more I worry . . . etc, etc. :frus:

So - how do you get over the "fear" aspect of learning a new technique? Do I just trust that one day I will suddenly feel comfortable doing it? Or do I take myself in hand as it were, and just force myself into it? Are there any "mental" techniques that can help? :D

Alcohol has been mentioned by non-skating friends, but I don't really think that's the answer . . . :lol:

flippet
06-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Hm. It's so hard for me to say, since I've never really felt 'fear' while skating. Nerves, hesitation, sure. But not anything that leaves me quaking.

For myself, I would just DO IT. Just visualize a perfect outcome a few times, then go for it. Even if the result isn't perfect, it's usually better.

Sometimes distraction helps. Have your brain doing something else while your body is doing the feared element. Like....shout out your multiplication tables while you're working on things. :lol:

Maybe someone else has a better idea for real fear.

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Alcohol isn't the answer, not when you're on the ice (but no reason you can't reward yourself once you're off).

Speaking as one who has fearful "bottle" (in the fear sense, not the booze sense) problems, the only way is to do things really slowly at first. Gradually, as your body learns it can do this and not die, you become able to do things on your own. But I still have issues, even now.

looplover
06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Creative visualization and practice off ice.

I have a huge fear problem for toe jumps. I don't know why, but the flip often freaks me out. If I don't practice it every time I skate I'm back to square one or two and I'm back at the boards, running through it and holding on (maybe five times).

It really helps to close your eyes and picture yourself doing this stuff to where you can almost feel it. For the crossovers, also make sure you bend, the less you bend the scarier they are!

Petlover
06-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I can really empathize with you, sometimes my coach wants me to do stuff that absolutely terrifies me. What she has taught me to do is break it into pieces, and work through it. For example, on back crossovers, you could work on feeling confident on a back edge, and then picking up your foot on a back edge, and then progressing to crossing the picked up foot over.

Just FYI, it took me a long time to do particularly the left over right backward crossovers without coach right next to me, and it was really a confidence in myself problem. Trust me, keep working on it, and you will get there and actually have fun!

Good luck!

SynchroSk8r114
06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
As a coach, I "trick' my students into thinking that I am helping them. I'll start by holding onto them and have them do a move over and over and as I see them becoming more comfortable, I slowly pull away or tell them that I'm going to skate next to them, just in case they would need me. Eventually, they get over the fear of falling, which is usually why they're scared to do something on their own, and just do it! They like the comfort of knowing that I'm right there - just in case - and I like that they push themselves to try something a little scary.

I used to get this way on certain doubles. On harness, they were gorgeous. Off...well, I'd freak. I guess I got used to the security of the belt. Anyway, I eventually got over it and now love to go fast into my doubles. Why? Well, my coach just literally forced me to do the jumps with decent speed and not bail. (Trust me, she'd literally yell...but I need that motivation to get me not to chicken out). Push yourself - I guarantee it'll be rewarding.

Just remember this: "If the game weren't challenging, everyone would do it. The challenge is what makes it great." I think it's from some Tom Hanks movie, but it's def. true, esp. about skating...

Good luck and remember - just do it!

airyfairy76
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Gradually, as your body learns it can do this and not die, you become able to do things on your own.
That comment made me laugh :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys for all the suggestions so far - it's ridiculous really, I've not had this fear with anything else (well, not so far, but it's early days!).

And your suggestions have been massively more helpful than my work colleagues. Aside from the alcohol suggestion, someone suggested I rip the hand off a plastic mannequin, and do my backward crossovers holding onto it . . . :??

flippet
06-20-2007, 12:35 PM
someone suggested I rip the hand off a plastic mannequin, and do my backward crossovers holding onto it . . . :??

That's not *quite* as nutty as it sounds!

I've heard that with children who are learning to walk, if they can do it while holding on to a finger, but suddenly 'can't' without the finger, you give them a balloon on a string to hold.....they think they're 'holding on' to something, and they'll go clear across the room on their own!

It's both tactile, and psychological. If you can fool your sense of touch into thinking that you're holding on to something, you can often fool your brain, too.

cecealias
06-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Yes I've felt the fear on MANY many things before in the past, even through I know I can/could do them.

The basic problem with fear in the past and when i was learning basic skills was because I had a really bad coach who didn't know how to put things in the right place.

I learned that skills done technically correct should not ever feel scary, they actually should feel comfortable, safe and secure.

doubletoe
06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
As a coach, I "trick' my students into thinking that I am helping them. I'll start by holding onto them and have them do a move over and over and as I see them becoming more comfortable, I slowly pull away or tell them that I'm going to skate next to them, just in case they would need me. Eventually, they get over the fear of falling, which is usually why they're scared to do something on their own, and just do it! They like the comfort of knowing that I'm right there - just in case - and I like that they push themselves to try something a little scary.

I used to get this way on certain doubles. On harness, they were gorgeous. Off...well, I'd freak. I guess I got used to the security of the belt. Anyway, I eventually got over it and now love to go fast into my doubles. Why? Well, my coach just literally forced me to do the jumps with decent speed and not bail. (Trust me, she'd literally yell...but I need that motivation to get me not to chicken out). Push yourself - I guarantee it'll be rewarding.

Just remember this: "If the game weren't challenging, everyone would do it. The challenge is what makes it great." I think it's from some Tom Hanks movie, but it's def. true, esp. about skating...

Good luck and remember - just do it!

I agree that it's a good idea to trick yourself into the things you're afraid of and I also think it's good to do exercises that help you work up to it. The harness or hand hold from a coach is good, too. I am not a big proponent of the "just do it" school of thought unless you have already proven your ability to do it by first doing the exercises and doing it on the harness. If I feel insecure on something, sometimes it's because I have a technique problem that is making it difficult for me. Also, if I'm really afraid and I make myself do it, I might not commit 100% and spaz out as soon as I leave the ice. You have to be committed 100% because the last thing you want is half of a jump, LOL! :roll:

peanutskates
06-20-2007, 02:05 PM
i didn't think i was scared of falling consciously, but i realised i probably was unconsciously and so couldn't jump properly, so then i sat on the ice for a bit (which was a great idea, BTW, as it made by leggings more stretchy and they went over my boots when they were wet!)and after that, I was ok.

i do believe in "feel the fear and do it anyway", that's the only way i manage to do anything scary.

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
And your suggestions have been massively more helpful than my work colleagues. Aside from the alcohol suggestion, someone suggested I rip the hand off a plastic mannequin, and do my backward crossovers holding onto it . . . :??

Actually and seriously, try holding a glove. It can work!

Clare
06-20-2007, 02:48 PM

Oh my God, I may actually try that!!

Clare

airyfairy76
06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh my God, I may actually try that!!

Clare

And so might I!

Well, just got back from my class, and once again wimped out. The good thing is that when the coach does it with me now, I don't have a death grip - we are now down to my fingers very lightly resting on the back of her hand. I almost got brave enough to lift them clear!

I learned that skills done technically correct should not ever feel scary, they actually should feel comfortable, safe and secure.
I agree with you on this, but they do actually feel fairly secure. It's the thought that stops me before I even start to do them - her hand is an emotional crutch if you will! I wonder if I hadn't fallen and hurt my wrists, whether I would be having this problem at all.

The funny thing is, anything else I have thrown myself into it. Just these little darlings causing the problem!

FLskater
06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I know what you mean about fear - it's definitely held me back from doing a lot of things.

I was going to tell you what Flippet did - that distraction DOES help. It seems like if I concentrate too much on doing something, that's when I can't do it. My old coach used to distract me by asking me about my weekend, and I would get more at ease.

The other thing I do, but isn't for everyone, is chew gum. Yes, I know you're not supposed to do that while you're skating, but a lot of us adults in the LTS class do that to distract ourselves.

For the crossovers, definitely try to do backward pumps and then hold your free foot for a few counts. You'll start to feel more secure on the edge, & before you know it, you'll be doing the crossovers!

You may also want to try to wear wrist guards. You are probably fearful of repeating what you did before, so maybe that will help?

Hope this helps!

miraclegro
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I've had the same fears but on different things. I had a bad head injury years ago, so the lutz and the backspin freak me out. I still get scared when i get twisted up or am going down, but i am DETERMINED and i now have a solid lutz and my backspin (which is way behind all my other accomplishments) have started to be impressive. Just keep knees bent and RELAX while doing them, that way if you fall, you're not as uptight.

Why do the drunk drivers always survive - because they probably don't tense up before collision!

miraclegro
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I've had the same fears but on different things. I had a bad head injury years ago, so the lutz and the backspin freak me out. I still get scared when i get twisted up or am going down, but i am DETERMINED and i now have a solid lutz and my backspin (which is way behind all my other accomplishments) have started to be impressive. Just keep knees bent and RELAX while doing them, that way if you fall, you're not as uptight.

Why do the drunk drivers always survive - because they probably don't tense up before collision! I am not by any means advocating drinking, but am just stating something that seems to be the truth as far as body being relaxed.

fsk8r
06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm a great believer in the barrier and have long wanted a mobile one to strap to my waist. But I find, that I can learn scary things there on my own there and then slowly inch away, initially to grabbing distance and then a couple of feet. it worked wonders for 3 turns and jumps, but I can't figure out how to do a backspin there which is my current nemesis (not fear - I just can't do it). i'll add that i'm terrified of falling, but luckily don't do it that often, so one coach insists on group falling lessons to try and get me over it!
Good luck with the back crosses, I found back lemons (swizzles) helped, plus back edges as already suggested.

Rusty Blades
06-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Very interesting topic! I will be watching to see what else is offered.

I have just begun to realize that I probably have a subconscious fear issue. It isn't something I am aware of and it isn't conscious - those things I can control - it is something much deeper. I am on the verge of starting jumps (at the ripe old age of 57) and I KNOW I can do 1/2 rotations and could probably do a couple 1 revolution jumps - we have been working on entrances, takeoff techniques and landing positions. Often, when I am skating, I am so confident that I'll set up for a Waltz jump or a loop but when it comes to the moment to push into the takeoff, something inside of me "tightens up". It isn't even "a little voice in my head" but almost panic (but not panic) that just sakes my resolve for a fraction of a second, just long enough to kibosh the jump.

I became aware of this a few weeks ago and have puzzled how something could be so deep-seated as to be almost instinctual, like a phobia. It isn't that I am afraid of falling! In my 17 months I have cracked a rib, sprained an ankle, and done damage to my shoulder, but I keep going back. But I think I may finally be figuring it out.

When I was a teenager, I LOVED to skate - it was my only passion and I was fearless on the ice. I had been skating 5 years and was working on more advanced jumps when I had a wreck that damaged both my knees severely. It took over 15 years for the knee problems to fade away and in that time I drifted away from skating. I left my passion behind because I simply couldn't do it.

In pondering my subconscious "glitch" about jumping it just occurred to me today that it isn't about pain - it is probably a "left-over" from my wreck in 1969 and it is probably a fear of having to leave skating again.

Anyway, it is so deeply seated in my subconscious that I simply don't know how to get at it, fix it, and move on so I have decided to seek out a sports psychologist for assistance.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your immediate problem with BXO's but I thought I would pass along the realization that "inhibitions" can be very deeply seated in the subconscious where things like "just do it" are not going to help.

(Sorry for the long diversion! :roll: )

dbny
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I had a similar problem with F three turns. I could do them with just the slightest spot, but could not without it. After I parted ways with my coach, I would ask my husband to stand in a particular spot, and then do my turn, just touching his outstretched hand as I turned. I realized that there must be something that I was doing when he was there, but not when I was alone. After a lot of thought and experimentation, I finally figured out that the presense of the hand gave me something to reach for, and that put me forward enough on the blade to make the turn. Spot no longer needed! It's possible that something like this is going on with your BXO's and the coach's very, very slight spot. It may be that you get the exact right posture when the hand is there, but not without it. Perhaps your shoulder is going too high, or you are dropping a shoulder or hip when there is no spot to keep you in the right position.

teresa
06-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I've been told I'm fearless from skating peers. Not true, I feel fear but I usually take a big breath and do it anyway. I think this is the key on learning many new skills, being scared and doing it anyway. If you fall, and I do all the time, get up and try again. Skills that scare me I have to think about technique more. The better I get, the more comfortable I get on focusing on the skill and improving. Sometimes learning the scary skill in a new way actually helps. It's almost like my mind doesn't see the scary skill. Head "issues" are the biggest problem in skating for me. The more I think I can't, I look stupid, or whatever, the harder the skill becomes for me. I've heard many friends at the rink share the same, so it's pretty normal. Being watched is a big hang up for me. Everyone has something. =-) As long as I think I'm unobserved I feel comfortable with myself as a skater. As soon as I KNOW I'm being watched I choke. I know nobody cares about my skating but me, but I just hate it. I always feel. . .unworthy of the attention. I'm lucky enough to get nice comments from peers, so I know this is stupid.

teresa

cecealias
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with you on this, but they do actually feel fairly secure. It's the thought that stops me before I even start to do them - her hand is an emotional crutch if you will! I wonder if I hadn't fallen and hurt my wrists, whether I would be having this problem at all.

The great thing about your experiences are that they build mental strength - by trying again and again, you'll gradually forget about the fall that hurt your wrists, and that, my friend is priceless. I broke my ankle in learn to skate years ago, and as you can imagine, I was terrified of breaking it again when I returned to skating. But, because I continued to skate, the fear fell away gradually piece by piece. it will come, indeed just don't let anything or anyone pressure you into feeling otherwise!

Sessy
06-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Sure it's the fear? I had something like this with my backwards outside edges, and it turned out the problem was I wasn't holding the fix on my shoulders and arms after letting go.

You could try valeriana else.

chowskates
06-21-2007, 01:41 AM

Or hold a hockey stick?

chowskates
06-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Sure it's the fear? I had something like this with my backwards outside edges, and it turned out the problem was I wasn't holding the fix on my shoulders and arms after letting go.

You could try valeriana else.

Its almost like a catch-22

the greater the fear, the more likely one will do something wrong, and the more likely one will fall and then be even more afraid...

Thin-Ice
06-21-2007, 03:59 AM
someone suggested I rip the hand off a plastic mannequin, and do my backward crossovers holding onto it . . . :??

A skating buddy of mine was going to AN for the first time and she was convinced she could not do her Interp. program without her coach nearby. (He was not coming to the competition.) She claimed everytime she tried to skate with him not close enough to reach for if she started to lose it, she would completely tighten up, forget everything and fall. Her coach said ok.. I'll hold your hand one more time (he stood near her for the entire program.. which was kind of funny to watch). Afterwards, he took off his thin leather glove and told her he was still "in it" and to go do the program again. He stood by the boards, she skated with his glove and was fine. He then told her to take the glove with her and she could "still hold my hand" while you skate there. Fortunately the glove was very thin leather and she could ball it up and stick it in her sleeve and she felt her coach was there with her. Yeah, a lot of it was psychological.. but it worked. She skated well enough to place fourth out of about 16 skaters.. and was on the podium! She gave the "magic glove" back to the coach when she returned, and hasn't needed it since.

cecealias
06-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Or hold a hockey stick?

Hockey sticks are great!!! It's kinda like having a 3rd leg! LOL. Funny but it is indeed useful

airyfairy76
06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Hockey sticks are great!!! It's kinda like having a 3rd leg! LOL. Funny but it is indeed useful

Seriously?! I would have thought that the weight would affect your balance on something like a crossover?

peanutskates
06-21-2007, 12:22 PM
As a coach, I "trick' my students into thinking that I am helping them.

that reminded me of learning to ride my bike... i rode it with my mum holding the back to support me. so one day im riding along, everything's going really well, woo hoo... i say to mum, "this is fun", but no reply. i look back, she's like 100 m away. i fall cuz i'm not looking ahead. the injustice, the cruelty of parents... lol, well i could pretty much ride it after that so i guess it worked!

garusha
06-21-2007, 07:08 PM
If I feel insecure on something, sometimes it's because I have a technique problem that is making it difficult for me. Also, if I'm really afraid and I make myself do it, I might not commit 100% and spaz out as soon as I leave the ice. You have to be committed 100% because the last thing you want is half of a jump, LOL! :roll:

I totally agree. When I have a fear of a certain move, I always know it's because I haven't mastered the technique yet. I would say, just keep doing what you can. If you need your coach's hand, it's fine for now. Do your crossovers holding on to that hand until one day you'll feel you no longer need it. And relax, don't give yourself a hard time. You are still doing those crossovers even if you need a hand. So what? One day, you'll feel there's no fear. It'll just happen.

chowskates
06-22-2007, 01:26 AM

LOL, I actually meant holding them lengthwise, so it would almost be like you're holding on to a barre. I never thought of having a 3rd leg!

Sessy
06-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Mom never held onto my bike. She just unscrewed the 2 extra wheels at the back 1 by 1. After she unscrewed the first, I just automatically sorta started leaning to the left a lot. Then when she unscrewed the left one too, I took a heckload of nasty falls. One time, I slid down a gravel hill on my hands and knees with the bike. I had no skin on my knees for like a half a year after that. :lol: And I was bragging about that to every boy in the neighborhood!

airyfairy76
06-22-2007, 04:44 AM
LOL, I actually meant holding them lengthwise, so it would almost be like you're holding on to a barre. I never thought of having a 3rd leg!

It's funny you should say that - during my years of classical training, if I had to balance for a long time on demi-pointe on one foot for example, I would imagine that I had one of my hands resting on the barre, and would imagine feeling it under my hand. It worked wonders!

This mind over matter thing is really quite fascinating!

teresa
07-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I loved the glove story. =-) Thank you for sharing Thin-Ice. My old coach used to pull the harness behind me when working on the axel. I wasn't in it mind you! Just hearing the noise and feeling my coach skating behind me was enough to give me a false feeling of security. Kinda like the bike thing already mentioned. =-)

teresa

mdvask8r
07-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I too enjoyed the magic glove story. My first trip to AN was also w/o my coach. At my last lesson before the competition she gave me a little smiling rag doll dressed to look like her. The doll sat on the boards every time I was on the ice -- I could hear my coach's voice loud & clear just like she really was there.

Here's another little trick. Go from holding the hand to holding the end of a flexible skateguard (the two-piece kind w/springs). Coach holds the other end. Gives confidence w/o total support. Eventually the coach can let go leaving the skater holding the guard but still feeling the "crutch" . . .
The mind works in fascinating ways, doesn't it??

Skate@Delaware
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
My coach is the kind to not hold on; meanwhile my husband prefers to have someone holding on, but he has a death-grip and I won't hold his hand anymore after he almost took me down with him while falling!

He has pretty much given up on back crossovers, but he needs to work it out in his mind how to best deal with it.

I've fallen plenty on them. I was terrified the first few times...but eventually figured I could let it conquer me or I could conquer it. I did not want to give up skating! I plow through the fear and eventually I'm not so paralyzed.

sue123
07-04-2007, 11:28 AM
When I was taking lessons, my coach refused to hold anybody's hands. She said she didnt' want me to develop some kind of psychological barrier. Even though it might take longer to do an element, it wouldn't be as long as it would to try to let go of the hand. She would adjust your arms or shoulders while you're standing, before going into an element fi she had to, but she would always stand away out of arms reach. So sorry I can't offer much help, other than maybe on future elements, refuse the assistance of the coach or wall to hold onto?

Actually, the story about the bike and mom lettting go, my dad taught me to swim in a similar way. When I was little, he took me into the pool, took me into the part where he could still stand but I couldn't, dropped his hands from me and made me swim. That's teh way my dad is, he bought me Rollerblades, strapped them onto my feet, and told me to go. Same with my bike. He said "Here's your sisters old bike, we lost the training wheels, so just go ride it now". It worked for me though, I think because I was dumb enough to not know I didn't know how to swim or rollerblade or ride a bike.

Hannahclear
07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't call it fear in my case, but I completely understand what you are talking about.

I'm working on Silver Moves, which include Power Pulls. Now, I can do forward Power Pulls, not terribly well, but I can do them. Well, when my coach holds my hands with just the slightest pressure, they become really well done. It's a confidence thing.

I also freeze up on the RBI 3 turn, though I can do the other 7 fairly well. And my program footwork is always much worse with the music than with out. I freeze up. Worried about tripping.

I also think I hold back on my axel because I don't believe that I can do it.

airyfairy76
07-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Well Peeps, as this thread is still going, I thought I would give you an update on my damned backward crossovers :lol:

I have decided not to stress about it, as I think they will come in their own time. In my practice sessions, I tend to do some near the barrier, and now I gradually move little by little away from it. I can work up to a few metres away from it. The other day I even did a crossover right on the hockey circle! Okay, it was only one, but after weeks of standing on the circle trembling like a newly born foal, it is progress.

I now (luckily for me) have about three days off work. I have calculated that by the time I go back to work on Tuesday, I can get in about 11 hours skating time. I shall just take it slowly and keep edging away from that barrier, and, most importantly I believe, not to STRESS about it!

And may I say thank you to everyone who has contributed - it has really helped just knowing that I am not that unusual and reading all your tips :D

So now that I am making slow progress on these, anyone got any tips for forward inside 3-turns?!!! :roll:

Sessy
07-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes I do. Understanding of the physics behind it makes it much easier.

Basically, first you have to start the rotation. You use the edge for this (since it's already rotating you in the right direction) and you keep your entire body aligned as you start the rotation. But then, you've given that rotation a push and immediately after you've rotated onto a back outside edge, you need to start stopping the rotation. You do this by pushing your shoulders in the opposite direction. For the right inside 3-turn, you'll be pushing your shoulders to your right - for the left inside 3-turn, to the left. It will appear from the side as if you're keeping your arms (and shoulders!!!) straight out where they were! And they will be. All the push you're giving is going into stopping the rotation!

Also, on the inside 3-turns particularly, keep that free foot close to your skating foot, and do not move it forward. At first I was like, firstly very neatly keeping it tucked behind my skating foot, then moving it forward at the last possible moment! Somehow I still managed to turn but you loose all control this way. Keep the free foot tucked next or just behind to your skating foot. This also helps to rotate the 3-turn because your legs are pretty heavy. You know how it's like swinging a heavy stone by a long rope? It goes much faster and easier if the rope is shorter. Same here, your leg is pretty heavy - the farther you stick it out from your centre of rotation (being your skating foot), the more force you'll need to exert to turn - and this is hard, especially for somebody just starting on them who hasn't mastered the maximum-efficient timing in turning yet.

Also, obviously, you need to be over your skating foot with your weight.

Generally, if I drop the left hip (skating on right), I'll raise my left shoulder (and drop the right one), if I raise my left hip - I start leaning to the right with my entire body (and vice versa for the opposite side).

Improper stopping the rotation or putting our your free leg where it doesn't belong will also lead to very sharp and uncontrolled 3-turns.

Good news: many people find the inside 3-turns much easier than the outside ones. I'm not one of them, but my mother is. The outside edge on which you exit is easier to hold than an inside edge is.

airyfairy76
07-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Good news: many people find the inside 3-turns much easier than the outside ones. I'm not one of them, but my mother is. The outside edge on which you exit is easier to hold than an inside edge is.

I don't think I'm one of those people either. I find my forward inside edge gets progressively more so, so I end up going in a spiral. My coach said it was a great entry into a spin, but not quite the aim here! When I do turn, because my FI is too much, I can't transfer onto my BO and do some weird skiddy thing.

Sessy
07-04-2007, 05:20 PM
It IS a great entry for a backspin. Except there you do keep the leg more behind you than for a normal 3-turn, and the shoulders are more closed and don't check afterwards.

I'm gonna guess you need to keep the leg closer to your skating foot?

airyfairy76
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm gonna guess you need to keep the leg closer to your skating foot?

Hmmm - not sure. I do try and keep my free foot tucked in behind my skating foot, but it is easy to lose concentration and find it flapping about :lol:

What I think it might be (pending investigations over the next few days!), is that when I am prerotating my upper body, my weight is dropping too much over my free side which is what is pulling me into a deeper forward inside edge. I will spend some time doing that prerotation but keeping my free side more lifted to see if that helps.

liz_on_ice
07-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm terrified of every new jump. I have to sneak up on them verrrrrry slowly. First I walk through them a bunch of times, then the tiniest hop, and gradually as I get the feel for it let it go.

This isn't working so well on singles. I've been working for months and months on the salchow. I can land it once in a while, but mostly I two-foot or never even take off. Even with lovely cushy crashpads, I'm terrified of falling.

-Liz

techskater
07-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Have you considered a controlled fall that you engineer on your own to get over the fear of falling?

Sessy
07-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Hmmm - not sure. I do try and keep my free foot tucked in behind my skating foot, but it is easy to lose concentration and find it flapping about :lol:

What I think it might be (pending investigations over the next few days!), is that when I am prerotating my upper body, my weight is dropping too much over my free side which is what is pulling me into a deeper forward inside edge. I will spend some time doing that prerotation but keeping my free side more lifted to see if that helps.

Could be! Good luck :)

Sessy
07-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Ahhh I love the fear of a good fall in the morning. Nothing gets my blood pumping better than crashing on my first jump of the day. It's better than coffee! You don't know what you're missing, Liz.

liz_on_ice
07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Ahhh I love the fear of a good fall in the morning. Nothing gets my blood pumping better than crashing on my first jump of the day. It's better than coffee! You don't know what you're missing, Liz.

ROFL! I've fallen plenty and not been hurt but I'm still fixated. If I could learn to embrace hitting the ice like that I'd get so much further!

Sessy
07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Well if it's any concillation, I've acquired 2 chronical injuries in just over a year from all the falls I take... LOL! 8O I'm gonna guess you don't quite want that either.

Really though it's a thrill. Like when you let yourself fall backwards into a pool, you know that water will sting against your back but it's pretty cool so you do it anyways. Or like skiing, you go down that mountain and you know you'll end up on your butt eventually, or like running (or other physical activities) where you know you'll have muscle ache the next day.
Actually I think - you're gonna laugh at me here - I think taking a lot of falls on the butt is helping against my cellulite... :o