View Full Version : What Freestyle level number are you,and what moves do you have?

FSWer
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Ok,skaters!!!! What I'd like to know from you today is......what is your Freestyle level number and what moves do you have?

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I haven't officially tested it, just informally by my coach- but I am USFSA Freestyle 2. I have (with varying degrees of mastery) a waltz jump, half flip, half lutz, toe loop, and a salchow. I'm working on my loop- but not much. I am most proud of my backwards 3-turns.

I can do a good one-foot spin and am working on my backspin and scratch spin.

Currently I am putting most of my efforts into the pre-bronze MITF test, so freestyle has gone by the wayside.

jazzpants
06-20-2007, 12:23 AM
If I was testing ISI, I probably will be stuck at ISI FS3 b/c of that darn footwork with the BO3 and BI3's. GRRRRR!!! :x :frus:

As for USFSA, it would be Adult Bronze FS!!! I think standard track wise... if I have the spiral pattern down then I could test standard track prelim moves and FS.

looplover
06-20-2007, 05:14 AM
If I was testing ISI, I probably will be stuck at ISI FS3 b/c of that darn footwork with the BO3 and BI3's. GRRRRR!!! :x :frus:

As for USFSA, it would be Adult Bronze FS!!! I think standard track wise... if I have the spiral pattern down then I could test standard track prelim moves and FS.

Oh that damn FS4 footwork...I hate it so much....that's what I fractured my shoulder on. I tested FS4 with the shoulder fractured and didn't know it so good thing they threw me a bone and passed me or that would have totally sucked. You'd have passed it though I'm sure!

I'm ISI FS4 and USFSA nothing right now because I joined but have to take all of my tests. I will probably be adult bronze, if I can get this backspin. Goal is to have these done by September 8O

kateskate
06-20-2007, 06:22 AM
I'm in the UK so I'll try and give equivalencies. We also don't have separate adult tests so these are all standard track.

I have level 3 elements and level 3 free skating, which, I think, is equivalent to US adult silver FS. I think (although on some equivalency forms I've seen levels 1-3 UK being bronze US so I don't know but you need a flip, loop, camel spin, back spin, jump combination with toe loop, step sequence and figure of 8 crossovers pattern for UK level 3 free skating elements.)
I have level 6 field moves. I don't know what the equivalent US standard or adult track would be. Don't know if anyone else knows.

SynchroSk8r114
06-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I do not skate ISI, only USFSA. I am currently working on testing my Intermediate freestyle (yet again...) and am focusing on landing consistent double salchows, double toeloops, and double loops.

Scarlett
06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
ISI - I'm FS level 2...I couldn't do a change foot spin if my life depended on it. I have my jumps up to a salchow and a clean loop depending upon the barometric pressure of the day and the alignment of the planets otherwise it is cheated.

USFSA - I'm newly minted pre-bronze.

Standard track- If I was a child I would be no-test.

jskater49
06-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Well I've passed the adult pre-bronze freestyle test, but there are people competing at no test level that have a lot more moves than me!

My best jump is my half lutz, I can do a half flip, waltz jump and my coach says I have a nice mazurka. I'm working on a toe loop but deep in my heart do not believe I'll ever do it without some pre-rotation. I'm hoping to get to the salchow this year but I like to tackle one thing at a time and my next goal is the spin entry. A loop is not even in my radar!

I used to be proud of my one foot spin but that was with a baby two foot entry, now that I'm trying to do the grown up entry from crossovers, forget it.

I have a nice lunge for a 50 year old and I like to think I use my arms nicely and I'm good at keeping my head up (usually) and smiling.

j

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't do much free skating, and haven't tested. I'm NISA Level 2 Bronze in Skating moves. In dance, I'm NISA Level 3 Bronze in compulsory dance, and Level 1 Bronze in free dance.

Petlover
06-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I am ISI Freestyle 3 and ISI Dance Level 3. I have not tested USFSA yet, but am working on getting a waltz 8 instead of a goofy 8.

I do finally have a decent clean loop, hooray!

SynchroSk8r114
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm working on a toe loop but deep in my heart do not believe I'll ever do it without some pre-rotation.

Seriously, here's what helps my students not to pre-rotate a toeloop:
- Work a ton on back pivots and feel your heel leading
- Do back pivots and hop over to a landing position, making sure you lead through with your heel, not toe (toe-waltz, blah! :roll:)
- Really bend your skating knee before picking in: it'll help you feel the edge necessary for a clean toeloop...techincally, your skating foot is already creating that edge before you pick in. Try thinking of that.

Good luck!

xofivebyfive
06-20-2007, 12:07 PM
In in ISI FS 4 and hope to test up to prepreliminary(and maybe preliminary?) FS this summer.

Morgail
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I've passed: ISI Freestyle 4 and USFSA Adult Bronze.

jskater49
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Seriously, here's what helps my students not to pre-rotate a toeloop:
- Work a ton on back pivots and feel your heel leading
- Do back pivots and hop over to a landing position, making sure you lead through with your heel, not toe (toe-waltz, blah! :roll:)
- Really bend your skating knee before picking in: it'll help you feel the edge necessary for a clean toeloop...techincally, your skating foot is already creating that edge before you pick in. Try thinking of that.

Good luck!

Yea yea yea, working on back pivots...did I mention I hate putting my foot behind me? (I'm the one with the step behind issues)

I have a coach who is very good at fixing toe loops. Just don't believe this body will ever be able to spin completely around in the air. Hope I'm wrong, but deep in my heart, I'm a non-believer.

j

blackmanskating
06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I am the type of skater whose jumps exceeds his other skating abilities. I am working on getting my field moves up to par. I just recently became a USFSA member so that I can compete at Nats in 08 so I haven't tested under their organization yet. As far as ISI, I am Freestyle 5.

As far as moves, I have all 8 three-turns, forward outside and back inside brackets, inside/outside mohawks, and a few counters and rockers. I can do all of my singles and I have double sal, double toe, double loop, and double flip(favorite). My spins, are forward camel, back camel, forward and back sit and a back pancake spin. I am trying to polish my flying camel. I hate that spin.

BlackManSkating

herniated
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Ok, here it goes. I am ISI Freestyle 5. And USFSA Adult Silver MIF and Free. That 8 step mohawk nearly killed me. :frus: It was so bad my coach said, 'We better make the rest of your test up to standard in order to pass' I am currently working on Adult Gold moves.

Blackman skating- it is amazing how much you have learned in such a short period of time. :bow: That is AWESOME!!! Looking forward to meeting you at AN in 08. I know you will pass your tests!!!

FSWer
06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Say,I was wondering what happens with skaters who hit Freestyle 10. But at the same time are not planning to actually test? Or is there such a thing?

vesperholly
06-21-2007, 01:54 AM
I am Adult Silver FS (hoping to move up to Gold when my axel gets more consistent), and I'm very proud to say that I've passed through Junior MIF. :D

chowskates
06-21-2007, 02:10 AM
I am Adult Silver FS (hoping to move up to Gold when my axel gets more consistent), and I'm very proud to say that I've passed through Junior MIF. :D

I have passed Bronze dances and Prelim MIF. I hope that I can test pre-Bronze FS someday... 8-)

Anyway, on the ISI track, I am a FS6-for-life because I have refused to learn the one-foot axel and 2-walleys-in-a-row. Perhaps I'm just being stubborn...

jazzpants
06-21-2007, 03:20 AM
Say,I was wondering what happens with skaters who hit Freestyle 10. But at the same time are not planning to actually test? Or is there such a thing?Well, my ISI FS 10 guy Shane is now teaching at my home rink. (He's the new skating director.) :cool:

Skittl1321
06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Say,I was wondering what happens with skaters who hit Freestyle 10. But at the same time are not planning to actually test? Or is there such a thing?

Well to get to Freestyle 10 you do have to actually test. ISI Freestyle tests are actual tests- they are just with a different organization than the USFSA ones. They won't get you to the olympics- but they are real tests, and quite honestly the high level ones are absurdly hard. (I want to say axels in both directions? Or is it just lower jumps?)

The higher ISI tests can't be judged by your own coach (like the lower tests can) if there are not local judges, you can do video testing- which must be a continuous, unedited video- if I recall correctly.

Someone could learn the skills up to Freestyle 10 and never test just as someone could learn the skills up to Senior or Gold and never test. Some people just don't test.

blackmanskating
06-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Ok, here it goes. I am ISI Freestyle 5. And USFSA Adult Silver MIF and Free. That 8 step mohawk nearly killed me. :frus: It was so bad my coach said, 'We better make the rest of your test up to standard in order to pass' I am currently working on Adult Gold moves.

Blackman skating- it is amazing how much you have learned in such a short period of time. :bow: That is AWESOME!!! Looking forward to meeting you at AN in 08. I know you will pass your tests!!!

Thank you herniated. I am really looking forward to competing. I'll see you then.

BlackManSkating

WhisperSung
06-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I competed through Freestyle 4 of ISI before switching over to USFSA.

USFSA-wise, I've passed my Novice Moves (finally!) and my Intermediate Freestyle. However, I'm hoping to say that I've passed Junior Moves and Novice Freestyle by this time in 3 days, as that's when I'm testing them. :)

jazzpants
06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Well to get to Freestyle 10 you do have to actually test. ISI Freestyle tests are actual tests- they are just with a different organization than the USFSA ones. They won't get you to the olympics- but they are real tests, and quite honestly the high level ones are absurdly hard. (I want to say axels in both directions? Or is it just lower jumps?)Yes, you are supposed to do axels in BOTH directions! Not only that but you have to do them in tandem alternating between CCW and CW axels.

And the only person I know personally that could do that and I have seen done that is my skating director!!! (I could just see my coaches asking him to demonstrate a CW axel for me. Of course, my primary coach seems to take pleasure in trying to get my jumps and spins in my direction, so I might dare him to try an axel in my direction one of these days! :roll: :P :lol: )

chowskates
06-22-2007, 01:22 AM
However, I'm hoping to say that I've passed Junior Moves and Novice Freestyle by this time in 3 days, as that's when I'm testing them. :)

Good luck! :)

WhisperSung
06-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks, chowskates. I'll need it! :)

jazzpants: There's a male skater at my rink who can do double axels both directions and one or two triples the other way. 8O Name's Rohene Ward, and he's an amazing skater, if only he could hold it together a smidge better in competition. Has a quad, too, and a Sasha Cohen spiral. He's a lot of fun to watch. :)

jazzpants
06-22-2007, 06:56 PM
jazzpants: There's a male skater at my rink who can do double axels both directions and one or two triples the other way. 8O Name's Rohene Ward, and he's an amazing skater, if only he could hold it together a smidge better in competition. Has a quad, too, and a Sasha Cohen spiral. He's a lot of fun to watch. :)OMG!!! I TOTALLY FORGOT about Rohene!!! 8O 8O 8O :bow: :bow: :bow:

And yes, he's WONDERFUL to watch skate live. I am quite honored to meet the young man a couple of years back at a show that we both did here in SF and I think I saw him last year at that same show too. I often hope and pray that someday he will hold it together long enough to make it to the podium at Sectionals and especially Nationals. (He does fine at regionals usually...)