View Full Version : Music suggestions needed

renatele
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
yep, one of those threads :D A little over a year ago I picked Apocalyptica's rendition of Metallica's "Nothing else matters" for the Bronze FS test (with no definite plan of when I'd test), and months later was absolutely disappointed that Brian Joubert used it for his long program... :cry: :frus: :x

So, I'm in search of another music, and would appreciate suggestions. When I'm just relaxing and listening to music, I often play something soft and/or new-age, things like Loreena McKennitt, Enya, Yanni (though got bored with that), Secret Garden, also Enigma and Era, etc. On the ice though, I find that I often prefer something "stronger" (how's that for a definition?). Half of the music I play when I skate is rock ballads (and Era). No idea what'd work for a program, though...

Help?! ;)

flo
06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi,
a few questions - male /female? What are your skating strengths?

renatele
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Female, close to 30's. Strengths: very good basic skating (edges, FXOs, killer BXOs - for this level, at least). Good power, once I'm comfortable with what I'm doing.

Derek
06-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I have similar musical appreciation to yourself, eg loreena McKennitt, Secret Garden, and can see that the music is perhaps not dynamic enough for skating. Watching the senior skaters yesterday, I heard a modern classical piano piece, the director said he though it was by Philip Glass? The music was strong, reminded me of the style of Michael Nyman.

Just a thought, as music is such an intensely personal thing.

Luckster013
06-19-2007, 08:12 PM
When I get stuck I look for movie soundtracks or Karaoke versions of my favorite songs (so they dont have words.) but thats kinda tricky because you dont want it to sound like karaoke.

flo
06-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Music I've used that you may like:
The Swan from the carnival of the animals
Main title from the TV show Beauty and the Beast - Lee Holdridge
Elgar's Enigma variations - Nimrod or the first and second variation
The Steppes of Central Asia, Boridin
Listen to Bartok for some more modern pieces.
Overtures are good to listen to as well because they give a snapshot of the entire piece and have a begining, middle and an end.

Emberchyld
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
So, I'm in search of another music, and would appreciate suggestions. When I'm just relaxing and listening to music, I often play something soft and/or new-age, things like Loreena McKennitt, Enya, Yanni (though got bored with that), Secret Garden, also Enigma and Era, etc. On the ice though, I find that I often prefer something "stronger" (how's that for a definition?). Half of the music I play when I skate is rock ballads (and Era). No idea what'd work for a program, though...

Help?! ;)

I have Queen on my mind because I have a ballet recital in... two days... dancing to queen, but I think maybe an instrumental of one of their songs might work for you.

Personal favorites from (well, the ballet and pre-the ballet):

"Who wants to live forever"-- there are so many instrumental versions of this song in both the slow version and the rock version. It's a really pretty, sad song with great tempo change for the chorus

"Princes of the Universe"-- now, that's very rock, and you might be able to find instrumental samplings on the "Highlander" soundtrack (I don't own, nor have I listened to the soundtrack, so I'm not sure what they have, but it was the theme to the movie, so I'm sure they sampled it throughout the instrumentals)

On the classical side, I've seen some "rockier" versions of songs from Carmina Burana that might actually be pretty cool to skate to-- I have heard a rock version of "O Fortuna"

renatele
06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
On the classical side, I've seen some "rockier" versions of songs from Carmina Burana that might actually be pretty cool to skate to-- I have heard a rock version of "O Fortuna"

Oh, I love some things from Carmina Burana (ha, had actually danced to it when I did ballet - will tell you about it sometime), but it also comes up way too often in elite skating for me to feel comfortable...

Team Arthritis
06-21-2007, 07:40 AM
I really don't think Jubert will mind :)
Lyle

Skittl1321
06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
I really don't think Jubert will mind :)
Lyle

He probably wouldn't - but because he used it, lots of people will use it, and people will assume she is using it BECAUSE he did, not in spite of.

renatele
06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
He probably wouldn't - but because he used it, lots of people will use it, and people will assume she is using it BECAUSE he did, not in spite of.

Exactly. Also, my skating ability is juuuust a tad below Joubert's ;) and I don't want people to have expectations of how it should be skated based on how he skated.

skatersmama
06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
what about Metallica's "ONE" by Apocalyptica (sp?) My dd used that for her short program last year. (Well received by many 30 something parents in the crowd (lol)

black
06-22-2007, 06:28 AM
What about some Vanessa-Mae?