View Full Version : Personality & Type of Skating

Rusty Blades
06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Arising from another thread (Skater Isolation) was the question whether there is a link between a skater's basic personality and the type of skating they do.

So, tell us about your personality type (outgoing, reclusive, obsessive, easy-going) and your preferred skating (recreational, test, competitive, etc.)

Since I am asking, I'll start.

I am obsessive, chronically organized, driven & self-motivated. I don't do things half way and I can't stand not having a Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C. I am very detail focused.

I thought, when I started skating, that it was for recreation and that maybe I would test one day but got totally caught up in Adult competition. Now I live, breath, and skate totally focused on the next competition.

Who's next? ;)

looplover
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Arising from another thread (Skater Isolation) was the question whether there is a link between a skater's basic personality and the type of skating they do.

So, tell us about your personality type (outgoing, reclusive, obsessive, easy-going) and your preferred skating (recreational, test, competitive, etc.)

Who's next? ;)

Great thread!

Me: extroverted loner - need significant amounts of alone time but when I'm with people I'm majorly outgoing. Perfectionist but get impatient wanting to get to really hard tasks. In skating this equals a skater who wants to jump high and skate fast and learn an axel but has crappy technique/fundamentals :??

I've only competed twice but want to get more into it so I'd classify myself as competitive. I think

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I generally "test" as an introvert- but I am extremly talkative and social with people I know, just scared of those I don't- so most people who know me would put me as an extrovert. I get very depressed when I have lack of human interaction. I am fairly easy-going, but stress about ridiculous things. I like everything to be organized, and I like to create organizational systems, but I never stick to them.

I started skating to compete, but have since decided the cost is not worth the benefits and plan only to test. (Of course, this might change once I pass PB and find out I will NEVER be able to do a sit spin for bronze)

jazzpants
06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Rusty Blades, I think you should also add to your list of questions the types of program that they would do based on their personality. (Like do you go for ballerina-ish numbers, or do you go Indian music, or go CHAZ MICHAELS and ROCK OUT?)

Like Rusty, I thought I was just gonna skate around the public sessions in a circle. Well, years later I am STILL skating around the public sessions... but doing JUMPS, SPINS AND FOOTWORK!!! :twisted: :P :lol: And yes, I never thought I would have my own skates or take lessons and here I am years later with 2 coaches, a handful of tests taken and me planning to make the trip to go to Adult Nationals!!! 8O 8O 8O

My personality? I guess I'm outgoing and easy-going, considering one of my MAJOR motives for going to AN is to meet everyone here on this board and I just don't have the energy or mindset to go obsessive!!! Of course, it doesn't mean I don't have my driven and self-motivated moments, especially when the coaches are also pushing for it!!! :P :twisted: :lol: I do like having Plan A, B and C on hand just so I won't have to worry about things, but I keep my options open for even a Plan D that pops up.

My current program is a MUCH faster and strong number, with a strong diva side on personality. THIS is definitely gonna be a tough one for me to sell since this is DEFINITELY NOT my personality. I actually like my old Yanni number b/c it's more flowy and calm, which is closer to my personality. (But given that, it's fun getting lessons from one of the best DIVA EXTRAORDINAIRE out there (primary coach) on how to play the diva!!!) :lol:

flippet
06-19-2007, 12:15 PM
This is interesting.

I'm definitely an introvert. I enjoy spending time with my close friends, but making new ones is stressful, and even spending a LOT of time with my close friends can be stressful. They say that a true test of introversion/extroversion is--what saps your energy, and what restores your energy? Being around people saps my energy--I like it when I have the energy stored up, but if I don't, it's a misery. Being with myself generally restores my energy.

I'm not skating anymore, due to finances and time constraints, but when I did, my intent was to eventually compete, although I never did--again, time and money issues. I skated not necessarily to 'win', but to 'get it right'. I probably would love figures, although I'd also need the freedom of freeskating to take some of the self-imposed pressure off from time to time. Helping other adult skaters 'get it right' is also something that gave me energy--I loved rephrasing something, or helping them move something slightly, that would suddenly make everything click for them. It was all in the details for me.

Rusty Blades
06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh yes, program type!

Funny thing - I am shy, by nature, and usually a bit awkward around strangers or in large groups but, when I was a teenager, all that completely changed when I stepped onto the ice. I was very relieved to find out that is STILL the case at the Adult Championships - when I was about to step on to the ice for my Interpretive event, I told my coach "I am going to OWN this place for the next 5 minutes!" and I did! I didn't skate well but one of the judges commented "You are QUITE the entertainer!" 8O It is quite a remarkable transformation - I hope it stays with me! I'd like to take that same attitude onto the ice with my Freeskate program next winter :mrgreen:

Morgail
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I am definitely an introvert.
I didn't much like competing when I was younger, and I'm not entirely sure I'd like it now. But I think I want to try it again, just to see. However, I would be happy if I never ever competed and just skated for fun and the joy of learning new moves for the rest of my life. I don't really enjoy testing (does anyone?), but I like passing levels and having something to show for all my work:)

Program-wise - I love skating to upbeat or dramatic music. I actually kind of like the top-40 stuff they play at the rink since it usually has a driving beat and that makes me want to put everything I have into my skating. My favorite program music ever was the intro music to the Last of the Mohicans movie - definitely dramatic music:)

flo
06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Easy going personality and have a great group of friends - competitive skater, more on the artistic side for programs. I prefer quality over quantity and would rather have 1 solid element in a program than 2 icky ones.

peanutskates
06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
confident, perfectionist, self motivated, determined, bit of a show-off, extrovert definitely.

haven't competed yet, but my skating is perfectionist, in fact I'm more worried about perfecting stuff and getting everything right than my coach... I wouldn't say that I'm competitive yet, but not just recreational - stuck in the middle I guess.

Scarlett
06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I also test as an extrovert but it takes me a minute or two to open up in a large group of people. I am definitely a laid-back, go with the flow kind of gal. I'm much more a recreational skater. Not recreation in the sense that I like to go around in circles but recreational in the sense that I realize that skating for me is a fun and a sense of release and it is not supposed to stress me out. I only skated one program to balletic music and didn't like it so I think I will try again to something more fun and upbeat.

Bill_S
06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm a curious mix of introvertedness and extrovertedness, I guess. Does that make me a plain average trovert?

I dislike going to parties and listening to small talk. I generally undertake activities that involve going it alone rather than team activities (past interests included motorcycle racing, flying airplanes, photography, astronomy, and currently doing some DIY woodworking/loudspeaker building).

I DO like the social atmosphere at work and I go out to lunch daily with my co-workers. If I have to eat alone several days in a row, I dry up emotionally.

Overall though I'd say that I'm more introverted than not.

I am NOT an organized person by nature (you should see my desk!). Usually if I have just a Plan A, I consider myself completely organized. However, if I'm working on a project that interests me, I will go completely overboard on research and planning to the point that getting the real work done is postponed.

I guess I'm a bundle of contradictions. Maybe as a kid I had too much lead and asbestos in my diet to be normal.

Program music -- I love music with passion in it like Tango music or a spirited Spanish number. BUT, -(here comes the contradiction again), I really admire someone who takes a piece of introverted music and does something spectacular with it. I remember Johhny Weir's program to softer music like Sibelius' Valse Triste really opened my eyes to refreshing possibilities.

I keep telling myself that I skate for just fun, but I've tested through Adult Silver moves (but no freestyle tests). I don't mind testing although nerves get me a little, but competing requires a whole new dimension of preparedness that I often don't have time or energy for.

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I am an introvert, but I act like a total extrovert within the figure skating community, just because I love skating so much and want to think/eat/talk skating all day!

I am a perfectionist and am very analytical (I know, you couldn't tell, ha ha), so I am drawn to the challenges of freestyle skating and IJS. I could never do pairs or dance because I see skating as a test of what I'm made of and how well I can beat my own demons. I need to have one area of my life where I don't have to depend on anyone else to make something happen. Besides, I get bored too easily for dance. Once I indulged an ice dancer and did one time around the rink on a dance with him. That was all the repetition I could handle; I was outta there!
I hate stress, though. . . and that's the hard part about competition. I hate adrenaline and generally try to avoid anything stressful. On the other hand, I am a born procrastinator, so I need a "must-not-suck-by-date". That's why I compete. ;)

sceptique
06-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I'd say I prefer being on my own, but at the same time I like to show off, and you need some audience for that - as you can see I was born for free
skating!

Unlike the thread starter I' the most disorganised person, but I must say, if my plan A doesn't work it takes me about 30 seconds to come up with plan B. I pick up and drop hobbies on a whim but once I found something what is "mine" I go for it with passion and determination close to fanatism.

I do compete and test and take failures really personally.

Amandaskategirl
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I am not sure what personality type I am. I can be a little shy but I love being surrounded by people and really hate being on my own. When it comes to skating I prefer practising with other people. I can be a bit of a perfectionist too and get upset if I can’t do something which I believe I should be capable of. I am very driven and set myself challenges which I think helps me to improve my skating. When it comes to academic work I am quite competitive with other people, but with skating I am more competitive with myself. I think that I have changed with age though as when I was younger I was more competitive with other people and enjoyed performing.

LibraJen
06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh this is an interesting one!

I would say that I lean towards the extrovert although it usually takes a little while for that side of me to come out - I also find it depends who I am with and if there are a lot of strong personalities around, I am more introverted until I figure out who I am dealing with.

I'm super organised with work but totally and utterly disorganised with other things and although I like things clean, I am not usually so bothered about them being tidy.:roll:

W.r.t. skating, I have only really been skating for about 6 months and I don't have a program yet but if I did, I would want some really punchy music (hopefully a gypsy/Carmen type thing but not so overused! That's another thing-although it's unlikely there's much out there that I could find otherwise, I hate the very idea that someone may have already skated to whatever I eventually pick) to skate to.

I am just learning the basics at the moment still but I am more focussed on working on the real fundamentals of things like edges and turns because I really want to be able to do them well and I want to be able to skate *well* and make sure I have the presentation side of things in hand before really getting down to the difficult stuff. I am also still very torn between dance and free but my coach says that that is fine and that we can keep doing both and that they will complement each other...

blackmanskating
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Program music -- I love music with passion in it like Tango music or a spirited Spanish number. BUT, -(here comes the contradiction again), I really admire someone who takes a piece of introverted music and does something spectacular with it. I remember Johhny Weir's program to softer music like Sibelius' Valse Triste really opened my eyes to refreshing possibilities.

I completely agree Bill. That's the reason why Johnny Weir is my favorite skater because he highlights the subtleties in skating. Instead of trying to blow you away by shoving his performance down your throat; he gives you a window view of his artistry. Daisuke Takahashi is another good example. These are the people that I model my skating after so my skating is similar to Johnny's/Daisuke's in that regard.

I am a very introverted person but I occasionally come out of my shell if I feel like I am around genuine people. I'm a bit of a loner so I could never see myself skating pairs or doing ice dancing with a partner. I may come off as laid back, but what I'm really doing is surveying my surroundings. I'm a perfectionist and I take any undertaking very seriously. I am a very artistic person who appreciates abstract ideas and activities. Skating is a very isolating sport so it fits my personality very well. I don't have an abundance of friends. The few friends that I do have, I am very close to.

I consider myself a serious, competitive skater. But it's not so that I can put my skills up against someone elses. Rather, I am in competition with myself. Now that I've read this post, I kinda sound like a selfish hermit. :roll: But I do look forward to meeting new people by competing at Nats. :halo:

icetrix
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm definitely an introvert - I like to keep myself to myself - but at the same time I get very lonely without friends. Only need a few to sustain me though;as long as I have one per each different side of me, I'm fine! Don't mean to sound schizo, but for me that's basically a friend at work, a skating friend and an intimate friend (hubby :) ).

I couldn't do dance since that means you are relying on somebody else to do their bit and only having 50% of control. On the ice, this is MY time, I wouldn't want to depend on anyone.

Always only ever have a plan A - I'm too laid back to have a plan B!

LOVE dramatic music - the type Alexei Yagudin used to skate to. I haven't competed yet but would love to do so to something inspirational!

blackmanskating
06-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm reading everyone's post and I am seeing a lot of similar qualities in a majority of the single skaters. Wow!!! I guess you have a certain personality pedigree to enjoy skating.

SynchroSk8r114
06-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I am a complete perfectionist, secretly competitive, relatively introverted (esp. to those I don't know well), obsessive, jealous, traditonal, conservative, and self-motivated as well.

So how does that all translate to the ice? Well, I used to compete very seriously (Regionals, etc.), but I got waaaay to stressed the higher I skated (to the point where I wanted to vomit halfway through my program - never did though - thank God!).

I quit competing at age 13 to focus solely on testing and in 2005, I passed my Senior MIF and am currently working on testing my Intermediate freestyle and Pre-Gold/Gold dances. I enjoy testing so much more than competing. Yes, there's still stress, but it's a heck of a lot easier than at competitions. When I tested MIF and when I test dance, I never feel nervous. It's those darn freestyle tests that shake me up (doubles, doubles, doubles! :frus:)

Funny thing is that I've gotten back into competing since my university began an intercollegiate synchronized skating team this past fall. I love synchro and skating with all my friends makes compeition so much more bearable. It's great having others to share the ups and downs of the sport with you and I love the teamwork aspect of it all. So I don't really get nervous during our synchro comps, just freestyle. Although this past February, I competed at BU's Intercollegiate competition and managed to get through my Junior Solo dance and Intermediate free w/o any nerves. I guess I've just learned how to handle it better. :roll:

garusha
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
It's a great thread. I'm sure there is a correlation between the kind of sport, or at least a discipline a person is interested in and his/her personality type. I wonder if some serious research can be done.
As for me, I'm a typical introvert. I love being around people, but only those whom I know well and who like me. When I'm around strangers, I can open up to them if they are nice to me. If I get snubbed, it's the end; I'll always be scared of these people. I'm also an obsessive perfectionist. If I do something, I want to be the best. I like making plans and setting goals, and I get disappointed if something goes wrong.
I've never competed, but I want to start once I'm ready. I wish I could have skating friends, but my husband and I are the only adult skaters at our rink. I don't have a program yet, but I'm more into classical music, something strong and passionate.

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I think there actually has been some research on the most common Keirsey-Bates/Myers-Briggs personality types among successful competitive figure skaters, but I don't know how scientific it was. I think ESFP might have been the most common type but I could be wrong about that.

Hmm. . . Maybe we should have a poll! Those of us who know their Keirsey-Bates/Myers-Briggs personality types can post it and we'll see what comes up! (To take the test, get a copy of the book "Please Understand Me" and take the test. Or if you're a total cheapskate, read the entire book online on Amazon.com by clicking "Search Inside This Book" and entering page numbers as the search terms. :lol:)

Scarlett
06-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Also for us cheapies...there is a shortened Meyers-Briggs online at http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

It comes to no surprise to me that I am an ESTP...then again I do not have the typical personality type of most skaters. I find that very evident when I go to the rink.

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Okay, the poll is posted! :D

Joan
06-20-2007, 10:10 AM
According to the test at the link posted above in this thread, I am

* distinctively expressed introvert
* slightly expressed sensing personality
* moderately expressed feeling personality
* slightly expressed judging personality

In Doubletoe's poll, I selected intuitive instead of sensing and thinking instead of feeling, but "agreed" with the test on introvert and judging.

I skate singles, but would like to ice dance if I found a compatible partner.

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I test almost equally introvert and extravert, so who knows?

sk8_4fun
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Great thread!

Me: extroverted loner - need significant amounts of alone time but when I'm with people I'm majorly outgoing. Perfectionist but get impatient wanting to get to really hard tasks.

This is so me! I dont think I can add much to that really! except that I'm very hard on myself if I can't do something straight off. An obsessive personality added in to the mix makes life interesting for me, but hell on my poor family!:lol:

TreSk8sAZ
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Apparently, I'm what's considered a Protector Guardian -- ISFJ (amused by the picture of Mother Teresa alongside the picture of the first George Bush).

# very expressed introvert
# slightly expressed sensing personality
# slightly expressed feeling personality
# moderately expressed judging personality

The description of this personality fit me perfectly. Extremely introverted, until you get to know me. Perfectionist, but almost too giving when it comes to other people and trying to help them out with life's problems.

As far as skating, I'm a competitive singles skater and ice dancer. I have no general preference in program music -- I've done classical, Irish, Tango, but prefer music that hasn't been done much, if at all, and pieces that are bold and will stand out. I do have a dance partner and really enjoy it, but it helps that we're both introverts so once we got to know each other, we started getting along well.

Petlover
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I am an extrovert, but do need my alone time. Luckily, I get this on the two hour round commute to work every day.

My favorite programs are ones where I can really have fun and get the audience to have fun, such as last year's spotlight to "Play That Funky Music". I started skating for enjoyment, but I do love to compete.