View Full Version : Anyone wear black footless tights?

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Dance Factory Outlet has a great sale on black footless tights- only $2 per pair!!!

http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com/capezio/women/legwear/skating-tights/footless-skating-tight/prod1813.html

I've used them before (the leotard sampler) and the shipping was quick and everything arrived in great condition (though apparently some things are "seconds") I'm not affiliated, just wanted to let people know of a great deal!

dbny
06-19-2007, 03:25 PM
It is, indeed, a good deal, but when I selected 6 pair and then saw the shipping, I decided against it. I live about an hour's drive from DFO, and they wanted more than $8 in shipping for a $12 purchase of tights 8O! I can also buy dollar store tights and cut the toes out of them, which is what I've been doing.

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
It is, indeed, a good deal, but when I selected 6 pair and then saw the shipping, I decided against it. I live about an hour's drive from DFO, and they wanted more than $8 in shipping for a $12 purchase of tights 8O! I can also buy dollar store tights and cut the toes out of them, which is what I've been doing.

But the $12 purchase would have come out WAY more than that if you bought them at retail. I'm not chiding your decision- just saying that Capezio tights are WAY better quality than dollar store ones. I've had some for 5+ years that are run free.

dbny
06-19-2007, 05:16 PM
just saying that Capezio tights are WAY better quality than dollar store ones. I've had some for 5+ years that are run free.

Good point, and thanks for posting. I'm sure there are lots of skaters who would go for this sale. I'm just very cheap when it comes to tights. I have about a dozen that I bought from Jenskates.com 5+ years ago, that I really like a lot. They are not all run free like your Capezios, but I was putting a lot of stress on them via my weight :roll:. Excessive shipping is one of my pet peeves.

miraclegro
06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I ordered some and i am the world's worst cheapskate! It's a great deal...i have been wearing black leggings under my pink wrap skirt with a black top and i'll just wear these instead! After seeing the awful price of leggings, these will do nicely!

tidesong
06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
The other deals are crazy for me too! I'm always hoping for this kind of sales to come my way... now just hoping that they ship to the concierge service...

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 09:31 PM
The other deals are crazy for me too! I'm always hoping for this kind of sales to come my way... now just hoping that they ship to the concierge service...

When I did ballet I got 3 of the leotard grab bags- they were all awesome!
One had lose straps- but I sewed them up quick.

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Good point, and thanks for posting. I'm sure there are lots of skaters who would go for this sale. I'm just very cheap when it comes to tights. I have about a dozen that I bought from Jenskates.com 5+ years ago, that I really like a lot. They are not all run free like your Capezios, but I was putting a lot of stress on them via my weight :roll:. Excessive shipping is one of my pet peeves.

Oh I totally agree- I hate outrageous shipping charges, but the shipping is only HUGE if you think of them as $2 tights instead of $16 tights. You know?

With postage prices going up (priority mail flate rate is $4.60 now!) I think shipping is only going to get higher....

chowskates
06-19-2007, 09:54 PM

Umm... I'm also always on the look out for cheap tights... I do like the Jenskates ones, but again, shipping kills!

Many years back, I found a brand of stockings that sold locally for about US$6.50 (using today's conversion) - these are thick stockings and are perfect as tights in a not-so-cold rink. Just before leaving for the Europe compeititons this year, I went to buy more and was thrilled that they were on sale - 20% off! 8-)

icedancer2
06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks - I ordered two pair!! Who cares about the shipping when the total for two pairs of tights is $13. Plus I love Capezio tights!

I also noticed that John Zimmerman and Kyoko are the couple on the Capezio home page - awesome!:)

Skittl1321
08-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Just bumping this back up to say that the black footless tights are down to a dollar a pair! (They probably charge shipping based on weight or retail cost) but what a deal.

I wish they would discount their OTB tights!

cherriee
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
It sounds ridiculous but I've never wore footless tights. What do you wear under them? :oops:

flippet
08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
It sounds ridiculous but I've never wore footless tights. What do you wear under them? :oops:

You mean for underwear, or on your feet?

I prefer footless tights (I like to be able to get to my feet easily if necessary), and I just wear thin, cheap nylon knee-hi's on my feet underneath them. I fold those over the boot hooks, then pull the footless tights over that. It's another layer, and a cheap one, that helps keep the hooks from snagging the more expensive tights.

If you meant underwear, well, tights aren't meant to be worn 'alone'---you're supposed to have some kind of leotard/dress/shorts over the top. They're not leggings, which are more like pants, they're more like hosiery. Wear whatever you want underneath them! :lol:

Skittl1321
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM

I prefer footless tights because I like to tuck them over my laces so I don't worry about them coming undone and hanging.

I skate barefoot though- so I have no issues there, with footless or OTB tights.

However, I don't like black tights- so this deal does me no good :(

icedancer2
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I bought two pairs of these when they were $2 a pair - with shipping the total came to about $13 and they are great!!

I usually like to wear suntan tights but I have gotten a lot of compliments on the way the tights look with a black skirt and sweater - they are slimming and I have, well, chunky legs so I am happy.

I have liked footless tights since I took dance classes back in college - you don't have the problem with little holes and runs in the toes, you can wear any weight of sock you like (I like little cotton or nylon or what is that wicking fabric - Tencel?) socks underneath and I can put my little rubber sleeves under the socks without worrying that they are going to get bunched up in regular tights when I put the tights on over the little rubber sleeves.

Plus as one poster said, it's good to cover up the hooks and laces so that they don't catch on anything when you are having neat feet! I don't like the look of OTB tights at ALL and so I've been happy with the footless overall.

Thanks for pinting this out. I wonder if I need yet another pair?:twisted:

cherriee
08-22-2007, 02:25 PM
If you meant underwear, well, tights aren't meant to be worn 'alone'---you're supposed to have some kind of leotard/dress/shorts over the top. They're not leggings, which are more like pants, they're more like hosiery. Wear whatever you want underneath them! :lol:

:lol: Hehe...

I have always wore Danskin tights (sized M in opaque). It's frustrating that they reach all the way up my waist. So I kept adjusting once a while during ice time. Not pretty, isn't it? On top of the tights, I put yoga pants / leggings, because our rink is very cold. I'm thinking about getting the Under Armours Cold Gear tights (http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=2&dept_id=1&coll_id=2101&pf_id=1001525). They are expensive, but people say they last. Let me know if anyone has tried them.

Well, I'm glad to have discovered footless tights from this thread. Thanks!

Skittl1321
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
I have always wore Danskin tights (sized M in opaque). It's frustrating that they reach all the way up my waist. So I kept adjusting once a while during ice time. Not pretty, isn't it?

I'm not sure if any skating tights companies make them - but a lot of dance tights come in "low rise" so they are only at your hip instead of at your waist. You could look for some of these in "suntan" or "black" - though I find them to be more sheer than skating tights, even when they are opaque.

http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_TI_p1.html
(No footless- but one pair footed and lots of convertible. I don't know how convertible would work in skates, but I loved them in ballet/pointe shoes. I never felt the hole at the feet- and it was nice to be able to access my toes!)

Want to add some bling to your tights?
http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_3002.html?pid=2028&Shop=Style&TopCat=TI&cat=ALLTIGHTS&SID=46685686

http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_14R.html?pid=1603&Shop=Style&TopCat=TI&cat=ALLTIGHTS&SID=46685686

Morgail
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
ok, I can't tell if it's a horrible picture on the DFO website, or if my monitor is just too dark, but can someone tell me if the $1 tights are plain or ribbed? Do they look lightweight or heavy/warm?
Thanks!

Skittl1321
08-22-2007, 03:55 PM
ok, I can't tell if it's a horrible picture on the DFO website, or if my monitor is just too dark, but can someone tell me if the $1 tights are plain or ribbed? Do they look lightweight or heavy/warm?
Thanks!

The picture is horrible- so it's not you. I am just guessing after searching google for the product number (1813) and looking at it on other sites- and I would say they are plain, and lightweight for skating (but heavier than dance).

wasabi
08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking about getting the Under Armours Cold Gear tights (http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=2&dept_id=1&coll_id=2101&pf_id=1001525). They are expensive, but people say they last. Let me know if anyone has tried them.

I mostly wear regular underarmour pants (http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=2&dept_id=7&coll_id=2108&pf_id=1001125) but have a pair of the cold gear ones too. I wear them with a pair of mondor tights (the thin kind) underneath, and even in cold rinks, I find even the regular ones keep me toasty and dry...I am a seriously hard worker at the the rink, though, so I tend to get warm regardless. The coldgear ones are a little thicker -- I certainly haven't worn mine in yet, but I bet they'll last significantly longer than the normal ones. With the normal ones, I start seeing holes around the ankles after I've worn them for 4-6 months, which isn't bad. Because the coldgear ones are thicker, though, they are an eensy bit more restrictive; this annoys me, but you might be fine with it. If you think you really need the warmth, I'd go with the coldgear ones. Both the cold and warm ones are definitely worth the money though, even if they are slightly more expensive than other pants.

dbny
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I bought two pairs of these when they were $2 a pair - with shipping the total came to about $13 and they are great!!

I was going to buy some when they were $2/pair, but was put off by the high shipping, and have since been sorry, as my old tights seem to be finally wearing out. So, now I just ordered 10 pair, which comes to $2/pair after shipping is added. I skate barefoot, and can just cut the toes out of regular tights, but hate to do it.

I have always wore Danskin tights (sized M in opaque). It's frustrating that they reach all the way up my waist.

I like my tights coming up to my waist. I just bought two pair of opaque tights on sale at Walmart that are hip height, and absolutely hate them! I cut the toes out of one pair, but the others are still intact and in the original package. They were $3/pair. PM me if you want them for that plus the actual shipping cost.

miraclegro
08-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I ordered them and have worn them, but they aren't quite as thick as my leggings, and they seem stretchier, so i feel like i'm always tugging them up, or something. Not a bad price, though. I wear them under my black or pink wrap skirts.

Morgail
08-22-2007, 07:41 PM
The picture is horrible- so it's not you. I am just guessing after searching google for the product number (1813) and looking at it on other sites- and I would say they are plain, and lightweight for skating (but heavier than dance).

Thanks! I think I may get a few pairs...

icedancer2
08-22-2007, 07:57 PM
They are really stretchy! When I first took them out of the package, I was like, "Yeah, right, like I'm going to fit into these" but they stretched right out and like I mentioned earlier, they have a slimming effect.

I wish the suntan ones were on sale!!

Skittl1321
08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
They are really stretchy! When I first took them out of the package, I was like, "Yeah, right, like I'm going to fit into these" but they stretched right out and like I mentioned earlier, they have a slimming effect.

I wish the suntan ones were on sale!!

I too wish suntan (or OTB) were on sale. White's on sale- but that's worse than black!

I did cave and bought a few pairs- I mean a buck? With shipping it was $2.75 a pair- I can deal with black!

So what can I wear these with? Can I just wear them with anything I'd wear tan with and ignore that it looks funny? or are there rules for black tights?

Mrs Redboots
08-23-2007, 03:36 AM
:lol: Hehe...

I have always wore Danskin tights (sized M in opaque). It's frustrating that they reach all the way up my waist.
But they're so uncomfortable if they don't come up to your waist, I find. Plus, because I'm the build you might expect from someone my age, I muffin over the top if they come lower, and then they slip down!

samba
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
But they're so uncomfortable if they don't come up to your waist, I find. Plus, because I'm the build you might expect from someone my age, I muffin over the top if they come lower, and then they slip down!

Same happens with me and I'm slim, but I do like the look that it gives to my legs.

littlerain
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
There are a pair of leggings for skating on dfo as well. Anyone have them? I think I'd like them, and for $5, that's not bad...

http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com/capezio/women/legwear/skating-tights/seamless-skate-legging/prod1866.html

lov2sk8
08-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I ordered 10 pair plus a cami, shipping was just 8.94, can't beat that.

tidesong
08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
There are a pair of leggings for skating on dfo as well. Anyone have them? I think I'd like them, and for $5, that's not bad...

http://www.dancefactoryoutlet.com/capezio/women/legwear/skating-tights/seamless-skate-legging/prod1866.html

Those were on promotion for $2 a while back, wait a bit, they might have a promotion again! (since the black ones had this pattern, it might appear again, they appear to be pretty consistently having promotions in the last two weeks in a month)

mikawendy
08-23-2007, 09:28 PM

Those were on promotion for $2 a while back, wait a bit, they might have a promotion again! (since the black ones had this pattern, it might appear again, they appear to be pretty consistently having promotions in the last two weeks in a month)

However, since Capezio has stopped making skatewear, I wonder if they'll eventually sell out of these skating leggings and then not offer them again...

tidesong
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Thats a very valid point I forgot about mikawendy.

LilJen
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I have 2 pairs of the black leggings ("seamless skate leggings"), and they are nice. Not as thick as, say, wooly tights, but good with a pair of lighter-weight tights underneath. They seem really durable, too.

Skittl1321
08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
I have 2 pairs of the black leggings ("seamless skate leggings"), and they are nice. Not as thick as, say, wooly tights, but good with a pair of lighter-weight tights underneath. They seem really durable, too.

I wish they still had black available- the only ones left are white :(

I also am going to keep looking for discounts on the beige tights! I wonder if they sold out all the skate dresses, or if they just took them down.

Laura H
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
On the shipping . . .if you have more than one location that you could possibly have your order shipped to, try both zip codes and see if there is a difference . . . I found out that shipping to my house (in a rural area) vs. nearby city (where my mom works) was a difference of almost $2!! (and we're only talking a distance of about 20 miles apart!)

oh mom . . . need a small favor . . . !! ;)

mikawendy
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I wish they still had black available- the only ones left are white :(

White are dyeable, so if you've ever had a hankering for a color other than white, black, or nude, you could experiment with dyeing a pair...