View Full Version : Help! Arms for edges

looplover
06-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I cannot get this straight - whether the same or opposite arm is forward for edges (forward and backward). It's so ridiculous that I can't remember. Really wouldn't be happy if I screw up pre-bronze moves test based on something so silly.

Maybe if I see it in writing (cannot bear showing up to next lesson doing this wrong!) 8O

Right forward outside edge: __________
Right forward inside edge: __________
Right back inside edge: opposite?
Right back outside edge: same?

Grr how ridiculous! THANKS

Skittl1321
06-19-2007, 08:33 AM
The way I was taught is that for forward edges on a line the arm that is in front is the one that is in the direction you are going.

So the left arm is in front for left outside and right inside. And the right arm is in front for right outside and left inside.

I think I know the backwards ones, but I'm scared to try to help you because I mess them up so bad.

However, looking at the rule book for the PB MITF- arms are not mentioned, so it might be coach dependent (and watching the video on USFSA.org, which I realize are not passing standard, the woman doesn't move her arms at all!)

FLskater
06-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Skittl1321, I never thought of it that way - the one in front being the direction you are going- but it makes sense.

The way I was taught for forward edges - for outside edges, the arm on the same side as the skating foot goes in front; for inside edges, it's the opposite arm. So for a right forward outside edge, the right arm would be in front; if it were a right forward inside edge, it would be the left arm in front.

I'm not sure about backwards, since I really haven't learned them yet.

jenlyon60
06-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Re Arms and Edges, to some degree it depends on what you are doing at the time, size of the lobes and amount of flow.

Generally speaking for the Pre-Prelim and Adult Pre-Bronze alternating consecutive edges on FO, the skater starts with the same arm/shoulder in front as the foot on which s/he is skating (e.g. left arm/shoulder with left foot). Then at about the top of the lobe, the skater passes the arms through down by sides and brings the other arm forward, so by the time s/he is ready to push onto the other edge, the new skating arm/shoulder is leading for the push.

phoenix
06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
This is definitely an optional thing--same as free leg position. As Jen said, most skaters do them w/ same hand leading as the foot you're on, but you will see variations. Ask your coach what they prefer. You will not fail the move based on what your arms are doing--provided they're not flailing wildly about! :lol:

looplover
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks, this is really helpful!!

daisies
06-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Generally speaking for the Pre-Prelim and Adult Pre-Bronze alternating consecutive edges on FO, the skater starts with the same arm/shoulder in front as the foot on which s/he is skating (e.g. left arm/shoulder with left foot). Then at about the top of the lobe, the skater passes the arms through down by sides and brings the other arm forward, so by the time s/he is ready to push onto the other edge, the new skating arm/shoulder is leading for the push.

Yep, and this is the way you'd do it for figures as well. :)

flo
06-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Interesting. What do you do for salchows, or rather the three turn into it? I've been taught same arm/foot and different arm/foot then change for the jump.

LilJen
06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
The USFS diagrams specify that you're free to do whatever you want with your arms. I'd guess it would definitely vary by coach.

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Interesting. What do you do for salchows, or rather the three turn into it? I've been taught same arm/foot and different arm/foot then change for the jump.

Keep your left arm in front and right arm at about 3:00. Don't move your arms or shoulders at all, from the start of the 3-turn entry until the actual takeoff. The right arm and leg come forward together as you start to take off. Keeping the left arm in front and shoulders still during any preceding 3-turn generally works for all jumps that take off backward. You'll just want your right shoulder back a little farther depending on how checked the entrance edge needs to be.

flo
06-19-2007, 03:10 PM
"Keep your left arm in front and right arm at about 3:00. Don't move your arms or shoulders at all, from the start of the 3-turn entry until the actual takeoff."

Thanks - that's my preference. My coach has tried to change it, but to no avail!

garusha
06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Keep your left arm in front and right arm at about 3:00. Don't move your arms or shoulders at all, from the start of the 3-turn entry until the actual takeoff. The right arm and leg come forward together as you start to take off. Keeping the left arm in front and shoulders still during any preceding 3-turn generally works for all jumps that take off backward. You'll just want your right shoulder back a little farther depending on how checked the entrance edge needs to be.

My coach actually told me to keep my right arm in front at the beginning of the 3-turn. It helped me with the salchow by giving me a sharper outside edge. I guess you can do it either way.

SynchroSk8r114
06-19-2007, 05:56 PM
For forward outside edges: I have my students begin with the same arm in front as their skating foot, so arms would face outward.

For forward inside edges: I also have my skaters begin with their arms facing outside the circle. Here's why: It's easier to hold the edge when your arms are facing in and you're over your circle, similar to doing crossovers, for instance. Keeping the arms/shoulders facing in makes it easier to maintain the position necessary for the proper edge (inside).

For back outsides: Arms begin facing inside the circle. Pass them through so that on the second half of the edge, your arms are facing outside the circle, at which point you should also look outside the circle over your back shoulder so to see the axis and help you bring the edge around...

For back insides: Arms start facing outside the circle, but they pass to where they will face inside the circle so that you can curve the edge around correctly, much like the forward inside edges.

Hope this helps! Happy skating!

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 06:12 PM
My coach actually told me to keep my right arm in front at the beginning of the 3-turn. It helped me with the salchow by giving me a sharper outside edge. I guess you can do it either way.

Absolutely. Everyone is different so you may need to start with the left in front, right in front, or shoulders squared depending on whether you tend to overrotate or underrotate the edge and/or upper body.