View Full Version : Bundle of Joy or Little Nuisance - Practice Jun 18 to Jun 24

chowskates
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Little Nuisance: My coach is away and I won't have Mon morning lessons for the next 3 months! So, I skated at 8pm instead of 8am, and...

Bundle of Joy: I met old friends - a married couple, both skaters - whom I haven't met for possibly 5 years... AND they have a little baby!! She's 6 months old and really cute!! Something tells me I probably will see them at the rink again a few years down the road.

Ok, back to skating...

Nuisance: I worked on some MIF, and I seem to be able to do them well only in one direction! No wonder the judges think I can't skate! :x
Gotta fix that!

Joy: Axel is terribly consistent, it is scary. Its like what my DH said at Oberstdorf, "It seems like you cannot not land the Axel." :roll:

Nuisance: Tried the Axel-double loop, and wonder why I simply can't pull straight up for the loop!

Joy: Did a lovely flying camel (at least what I felt was lovely) on the first try.

Nuisance: The ice was so rough, it was tough getting that sit spin to "increase speed", especially after having waited for 8 revs!!

Joy: Change-edge spiral + catch foot after the change is coming along nicely

Nuisance: I lost so much speed it just seemed so contrived to count to 3sec, waiting there in the catch-foot position when I was barely moving! :frus:

Mrs Redboots
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
All nuisance: Didn't skate yesterday - big toe still hurts, plus we didn't get to bed until 1:00 am on Sunday morning! So when the alarm went off, I said "No way" and rolled over and went back to sleep again!

Husband skated, though, but I gather he forgot he should have had 30 minutes, not 15, as I wasn't there... and we'll have to pay for it anyway, aren't men typical!!!!

Petlover
06-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Bundle of Joy: The first 15 minutes of this morning's freestyle, I was the only one on the ice. After a minimal warm-up, I skated my compulsory program, and my artistic and technical programs with their music. All worked wonderfully! Especially good since my rink's ISI competition starts this coming
Friday.

Nuisance: Left over right x-overs took a while to jell this morning, oh well.....

Team Arthritis
06-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Bundle of Joy: OK not directly skating related but I did a hip opening yoga class yesterday (listening very carefully to my body8O ) and today my hip doesn't hurt getting out of a chair! For the past 3 months yoga = severe hip pain the next day. SO look out - back to kicking hard into a scratch spin!

Little nuiscance: I still don't like any of my 3turns on my left side - I skid the F outsides when going at any speed and have to double push the FI, we won't even talk about the whip the body - brace and - recover that is my LBI, Looks like my LBO is actually my preferred 3 on the L side!?

lyle

doubletoe
06-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Joy: Change-edge spiral + catch foot after the change is coming along nicely

Woo hoo! Me, too! :D (see "Joy" section below)

Nuisance
Still struggling with the flying camel this week. Also haven't managed to nail a double salchow landing yet from the new entrance.

Joy
This morning I had a lesson with my "special treat coach" (who is so busy I rarely get a lesson with her, but when I do, it's amazing!). I got some valuable help on some key transitions in my program and am eager to practice them tomorrow. :) Also, my flexibility was surprisingly good this morning! :D Showing the coach my new change edge spiral with the catch foot after the change of edge, I apparently held my foot higher than head level on the catch foot for 3 seconds for the very first time! She didn't realize what a big deal it was to me, so of course I had to stop her from changing the topic long enough to do a quick little happy dance. ;) The challenge will be getting the foot all the way up there quickly so that I don't have to hold the edge for 6 seconds and get carried too far down the ice. Details, details!
I also did the splits on the ballet barre after skating, and this time managed to do it not only with the left leg in front, but also with the right leg in front. The only time I'd ever done a full split with my right leg in front was 13 years ago, so that was very encouraging!

Skittl1321
06-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Big Nuisance Got my boots back from the stretcher. I can't tell that anything was done to them. URGH- $10 later and absolutely no difference. Is it rude to call and say "umm... are you SURE you stretched them?

I'm not happy. She was really optomistic about this working, and not needing to punch the sides, and telling me they'd probably overstretch, but don't worry they recede a little. Well they didn't seem to stretch at all. I really hope if I drive back up there I don't have to pay again to have them punched!

dbny
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Big Nuisance:
I could have skated from 11 to 1 today, but nooooo, I had to take my time with shower, breakfast, etc. and go from 1 to 3. Arrived at ten minutes to 1 to find a small group of teenagers (all LTS helpers) standing around looking at the ice. As I approached, one said to another "I'm not telling her!" Management had decided to end the public session at 1 instead of 3! They did the same last week on Tues :x.

Bundle of Joy:
I asked who wanted to hop in my car and go to another rink with me for almost an hour of ice. I got 4 takers and we all had a fine time at other rink, even though we did have to pay for admission. Traffic cooperated beautifully, or we would not have had any time.

FO and FI threes still seem to be improving, without actually getting fully checked - how does that happen? It's starting to feel like Zeno's paradox. LBO three is still there!

I'm going early tomorrow, just in case.

phoenix
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Bundle of Joy: Got to skate for 1/2 hour today--longest since injury, and not a twinge of pain! Tomorrow I have my first lessn in 2 months--for 45 minutes. It's going to be sooooo bad, but I can't wait!

BIG Nuisance! One of the rinks where I teach--and the one I'd planned to do most of my skating at over the summer--pulled its 'free ice for teachers' perk, so now we have to pay for it--and it's very expensive ice. Now I have to completely change my plans of where to be what day, so I can skate elsewhere on less expensive ice. The only reason I started teaching there was for the ice--they don't pay much for teaching. This totally sucks! Why can't rinks understand that a teacher that is still training is going to be a better teacher?!!

chowskates
06-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Joy
This morning I had a lesson with my "special treat coach" (who is so busy I rarely get a lesson with her, but when I do, it's amazing!). I got some valuable help on some key transitions in my program and am eager to practice them tomorrow. :) Also, my flexibility was surprisingly good this morning! :D Showing the coach my new change edge spiral with the catch foot after the change of edge, I apparently held my foot higher than head level on the catch foot for 3 seconds for the very first time! She didn't realize what a big deal it was to me, so of course I had to stop her from changing the topic long enough to do a quick little happy dance. ;) The challenge will be getting the foot all the way up there quickly so that I don't have to hold the edge for 6 seconds and get carried too far down the ice. Details, details!
I also did the splits on the ballet barre after skating, and this time managed to do it not only with the left leg in front, but also with the right leg in front. The only time I'd ever done a full split with my right leg in front was 13 years ago, so that was very encouraging!

Cool! My foot is just about higher than the head, but it really isn't as high on the forward one than on backward - I'm always so afraid of falling on my face!

Oh, and next week, I'll wait for you to start the thread, I promise :P

Sessy
06-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Nuisance:
Tried to jump, still can't although the ankle didn't hurt as much as it would've 8 weeks ago and also the pain feels more healthy. Like sore muscles, not like a sharp stabbing sensation. Nonetheless, no jumping for me.
Also, my 1-foot spin and scratch spin were miserable and I lost some edge control for not having skated since mid-april till now. But nothing dramatic.
Took some falls, one on my finger which has blood eruptions underneath the skin now which kind of makes it difficult to type haha (was on the ice with the dutch ladies' champion and her trainer and after the training they came to ask if I was okay cuz apparently those were very hard falls... mwah I've taken worse.)
Sit spin farther away now than it's ever been, camel pretty much gone too.

Bundle of joy:
MY BACKSPIN WENT FROM 2 REVS TO 6-9 REVS!!! It's still ugly, slow and uncentered but for now I'll take it.
I figured out where it was going wrong on the bielman. Doing bielman on both feet now, though the bad side needs to go higher for it to be a real bielman.
I didn't jump (except 1 waltz and 1 loop, which I landed - although scratchy) but I walked through my jumps with just the approaches and I think I'll still be able to do them when I can jump again.

So/so:
finally got the doctors to the point where they said, ok let's make an X-ray, on friday. and wrote a prescription for physiotherapy.

jazzpants
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
MAJOR NUISANCE!!

Spins and jumps were definitely NOT there last night! Couldn't spin or jump. I can't help but think this is one of those days I put my boots on wrong or something. I mean I was landing those flips and loops on Sunday like it was nothing!!! 8O

Joy:
I landed ONE flip and called it (that jump anyway) a day!!! And primary coach, sensing that I probably don't feel much like skating tonight (b/c I was screwing up things left and right), put me on CD duty for a fellow skater's new interp program. Can't wait to see it done! :P :lol:

Petlover
06-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Bundle of Joy: Landed a gorgeous loop, on the tow, with a great edge rideout. Coach also said I skated my Artistic program the best and strongest ever by far!

Nuisance: Steaming about a work situation, but that's what gave me all my energy!

Mrs Redboots
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Nuisance: My foot (sprained big toe which has caused my bunion to inflame again) hurt so badly I could only stay on the ice for about an hour.

Joy: Have got most of our Very Silly number for next week choreographed.

Morgail
06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Bundle of Joy:
-Spins! I did a 4-rev camel:) Most camels felt steady. Also did good sit-change-sits, camel-sit-backsits, and camel-backspins.
-Jumps were all present and good. I think I'm close to landing a teeny, slow lutz on one foot.
-The parts of my program that I practiced were good.
-Spirals, surprisingly. I've never like spirals. I think I'm beginning to like them. I had fun doing the two outside spirals that are in my program. They make me feel graceful:)

Little Nuisance:
-Silver 3-turn pattern was giving me trouble, but I think I had it somewhat fixed near the end of the session. Still can't consistently fit 5 sets on each side.
-Back cross-rolls weren't so great, but this is the first time they've given me trouble in a week or two.

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Bundle of joy:
MY BACKSPIN WENT FROM 2 REVS TO 6-9 REVS!!! It's still ugly, slow and uncentered but for now I'll take it.
I figured out where it was going wrong on the bielman. Doing bielman on both feet now, though the bad side needs to go higher for it to be a real bielman.
I didn't jump (except 1 waltz and 1 loop, which I landed - although scratchy) but I walked through my jumps with just the approaches and I think I'll still be able to do them when I can jump again.

Awesome about your backspin! Looks like the closed hips help after all! ;)

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Cool! My foot is just about higher than the head, but it really isn't as high on the forward one than on backward - I'm always so afraid of falling on my face!

Oh, and next week, I'll wait for you to start the thread, I promise :P

Ha ha! No, please, you start the thread first; you're in the earlier time zone and heck, I'll be out of town on vacation anyway! ;)

The strangest thing about my catch foot spirals is that I am getting the foot higher than the head much more consistently on my forward spiral on my less flexible side than I am on my back spiral on my more flexible side! Not only is it odd that my forward catch foot spiral would be better, but on that side (standing on the right foot), I cannot get my free foot above the head when I do it on the floor in shoes! How can that be? LOL!
I think I get pitched forward on the LBI spiral because I'm going backwards and that puts me on the front of the blade when I pull my foot up (not to mention that back inside edge is a tricky one). On the right forward spiral, I'm on the back of the blade and also VERY conscious about not letting my weight get pitched forward, so I probably arch my back extra hard, LOL!

Rusty Blades
06-19-2007, 02:56 PM
BIG Nuisance! Week #1 of two weeks off and going into withdrawal - coach's orders, NO SKATING :frus: I would go out and rent an hour's ice but she threatened to confiscate my skates if I do 8O

(Just doesn't feel right, not contributing to the practice thread!)

jazzpants
06-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Joy
This morning I had a lesson with my "special treat coach" (who is so busy I rarely get a lesson with her, but when I do, it's amazing!). I got some valuable help on some key transitions in my program and am eager to practice them tomorrow. :) Also, my flexibility was surprisingly good this morning! :D Showing the coach my new change edge spiral with the catch foot after the change of edge, I apparently held my foot higher than head level on the catch foot for 3 seconds for the very first time! She didn't realize what a big deal it was to me, so of course I had to stop her from changing the topic long enough to do a quick little happy dance. ;) YAAAAY, you!!!!

"Special treat" coach??? What's considered a "special treat coach"??? :?? Given that I know who your regular coach is... it's hard to say who's even more special treat than THAT! 8O

SpaMama
06-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Ok, some drum roll please........................

Bundle of Joy: For Dallas, Jazz et al that is! I SKATED TODAY! The blue booties were on my feet! (Who won the bets?)
So who volunteers to help me out of bed tomorrow? No seriously, it was fun! One of the Moms put together a class for the rest of us Moms, rink gave us half ice to share with the edge class, I think there was 7 of us. The coach said we all passed Pre-Alpha 1 - woo hoo! I think he was being generous with a few of us........................ About half can skate pretty darn good, took lessons as kids, skated recently etc. One had never really skated, and a few were like me. I had "pond" skated every winter as a kid on bad skates, having grown up on a lake, and think I skated a couple of times in my 20s at the mall, but its been at least 20 years. The great thing is - to the relief of the coach responsible for us getting through it alive - no one fell! I was prepared though, had dd's butt pads, knee pads, whatever I could find in her bag........:P One of the moms made iron-ons for us to put on t-shirts that says "Moms Gone Mad!".

Little Nuisance - me tomorrow I am sure!

Spamama

dbny
06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
BIG Nuisance! One of the rinks where I teach--and the one I'd planned to do most of my skating at over the summer--pulled its 'free ice for teachers' perk, so now we have to pay for it--and it's very expensive ice. Now I have to completely change my plans of where to be what day, so I can skate elsewhere on less expensive ice. The only reason I started teaching there was for the ice--they don't pay much for teaching. This totally sucks! Why can't rinks understand that a teacher that is still training is going to be a better teacher?!!

Wow, I would be furious too! Not only do many teachers still need to train, but we also bring students - that is, paying customers - onto that expensive freestyle ice. One rink where I worked let coaches skate for free on freestyles only if they also had a student on the ice. My current rink, thank goodness, allows free everything, including more than just ice (they have a gym, etc.)

Joy & Nuisance:
Today I finally figured out what is making my LFO three turns so very difficult!
It's my BOOTS! As soon as I start to rotate into the turn, my foot slips to the inside in the boot. This is why I can manage LFO threes on a small arc and pre-rotated, but not on a larger arc. Too much time for that foot to slip. I have a similar problem with RFI threes, the ankle just caves. Happily, my new boots are ready! Unhappily, Don Klingbeil is out of town till next week, and my blades haven't arrived yet.

Joy:
RFO three is starting to happen without any of the upper body movement that has been plaguing me. I really think I'm going to nail that check very, very soon. Managed a few one foot spins from T push today, so tightening my core is getting to be more automatic again.

garusha
06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
BIG Nuisance! Week #1 of two weeks off and going into withdrawal - coach's orders, NO SKATING :frus: I would go out and rent an hour's ice but she threatened to confiscate my skates if I do 8O

(Just doesn't feel right, not contributing to the practice thread!)

But why? I hope you're not injured. If not, why is your coach so dead set against your skating?

BatikatII
06-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Bundle of Joy:

After skating it so horribly last week that I thought about pulling out of the upcoming comp. I actually skated my free dance pretty well today. In fact coach was delighted with the progress I'd made while she was away and said she'd be very happy if I could skate it just like that for the comp. Well here's hoping I can do it again!

Didn't dare skate it again - so made up a start for the compulsories instead. Now why are the starts the coaches come up with always so much harder than the actual dances!:lol:

Free skating:1st runthrough of programme was pretty good - loop and flip landed.

Nuisance: it just got worse though - I think I only ever can skate my programmes well once a session!

Not sure if this is a problem or not but both coaches commented on how my boots didnt look like they were giving me any support because I have Gam 95's but don't do the laces up to the top. With over boot tights it's less noticeable but I wore footed tights today. The boots have thick padded tongues so it sticks out a fair bit.

I feel like I have plenty of support and can jump perfectly happily in them as they are. I tried to do up the boot all the way to the top at the end of my lessons and went on the ice and was unable to do anything. It felt like my leg was in a cast and I couldln't even do a simple 3 turn - horrible and I got straight back off.

I'm beginning to wonder though if it might be better to wear over boot tights for the competition as maybe the judges will be put off if they think the boots look odd. Anyone else have this problem?

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 05:44 PM
YAAAAY, you!!!!

"Special treat" coach??? What's considered a "special treat coach"??? :?? Given that I know who your regular coach is... it's hard to say who's even more special treat than THAT! 8O

True, Gary is awesome and I adore him. My "special treat" coach is Charlene Wong, and it's a special treat because she's so busy that I don't get time with her very often. I enjoy my lessons with her because Gary skates like a guy but Charlene can can teach me to move like a girl, ROFL! :lol: I generally go to her when I need a little help with choreography & expression. She's brilliant at choreography and body movement as well as technical troubleshooting! :)

jazzpants
06-19-2007, 06:12 PM
True, Gary is awesome and I adore him. My "special treat" coach is Charlene Wong, and it's a special treat because she's so busy that I don't get time with her very often. I enjoy my lessons with her because Gary skates like a guy but Charlene can can teach me to move like a girl, ROFL! :lol: I generally go to her when I need a little help with choreography & expression. She's brilliant at choreography and body movement as well as technical troubleshooting! :)WOW!!! That IS a special treat alright!!! :D

And as for moving like a guy, well, the problem is that my "guy coach" moves even MORE feminine than me and I do have a female secondary coach too! Can't use that excuse!!! :lol: My special treat coach is in NYC! Just love it there, love his low-key but just as tough coaching style... and well, he is a hottie...LOL!!! ;) :twisted: :lol: :P :halo:

doubletoe
06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
WOW!!! That IS a special treat alright!!! :D

And as for moving like a guy, well, the problem is that my "guy coach" moves even MORE feminine than me and I do have a female secondary coach too! Can't use that excuse!!! :lol: My special treat coach is in NYC! Just love it there, love his low-key but just as tough coaching style... and well, he is a hottie...LOL!!! ;) :twisted: :lol: :P :halo:

It's also a special treat because she is just about the nicest person you could ever hope to meet. Talk about having it all (looks, brains and personality)!
Yeah, I know what you mean. . . My old coach used to be really good at teaching me to skate pretty because he skated prettier than most of the girls himself, LOL! New York? Hottie? Could it be JZ? ;)

jazzpants
06-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Bundle of Joy: For Dallas, Jazz et al that is! I SKATED TODAY! The blue booties were on my feet! (Who won the bets?)
So who volunteers to help me out of bed tomorrow? No seriously, it was fun! One of the Moms put together a class for the rest of us Moms, rink gave us half ice to share with the edge class, I think there was 7 of us. The coach said we all passed Pre-Alpha 1 - woo hoo! I think he was being generous with a few of us........................ About half can skate pretty darn good, took lessons as kids, skated recently etc. One had never really skated, and a few were like me. I had "pond" skated every winter as a kid on bad skates, having grown up on a lake, and think I skated a couple of times in my 20s at the mall, but its been at least 20 years. The great thing is - to the relief of the coach responsible for us getting through it alive - no one fell! I was prepared though, had dd's butt pads, knee pads, whatever I could find in her bag........:P One of the moms made iron-ons for us to put on t-shirts that says "Moms Gone Mad!".

Little Nuisance - me tomorrow I am sure!

SpamamaDallasSkater!!! Did you SEE Spamama today on skate??? 8O

MARK THIS DAY!!!! SPAMAMA WENT ON THE ICE TODAY!!! WOO HOO!!! GO SPAMAMA!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

You'll be fine...and I'm sure one of these days you'll be back on that pair of blue booties!!! Epsom Salt baths and OTC pain relievers should help you thru the muscle aches!!!

Rusty Blades
06-19-2007, 06:18 PM
But why? I hope you're not injured. If not, why is your coach so dead set against your skating?

She said I need a break. I have been skating 17 months straight, 3 to 5 times a week. I made my goal (the adult championships) in March and I think she is afraid I am pushing too hard and maybe that I'll "burn out". I trust her so I'll take the 2.5 weeks off and see how that effects my skating.

I am not injured (physically) though my mental state is questionable ;)

Thanks for asking!

xofivebyfive
06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm leaving for my group lesson in about ten minutes but I just wanted to say this.

Having joined XC this year, my first time running, I was supposed to run for 25 minutes straight, but I only made it 13.(I was going a bit faster than I should have because I didn't want my already runner friend to have to run really slow)

I ran a 9:45 mile so that's good I guess for someone who hasn't run any distance at all since a year and a half ago, and that was just because it was soccer preseason, and back then I ran a mile in about 13 minutes. Go figure. In 6th grade I once ran a 7:30 mile during gym. Oh to be young again. :lol:

So this will be the first time I've run and skated in the same day, so it will be interesting to see how running affects my skating ability.

jazzpants
06-19-2007, 07:16 PM
New York? Hottie? Could it be JZ? ;)The answer is in your PM!!! ;)

Skate@Delaware
06-19-2007, 07:58 PM
She said I need a break. I have been skating 17 months straight, 3 to 5 times a week. I made my goal (the adult championships) in March and I think she is afraid I am pushing too hard and maybe that I'll "burn out". I trust her so I'll take the 2.5 weeks off and see how that effects my skating.

I am not injured (physically) though my mental state is questionable ;)

Thanks for asking!
I know how you feel! I was there and sooo close to burning out also-got to the point where I almost didint want to put my skates on when the rink closed for the season! Took a month off, then started running up to the summer rink. Felt better after that! Hang in there, you will get your mojo back!

Bill_S
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
... rink closed for the season! Took a month off, then started running up to the summer rink. Felt better after that! Hang in there, you will get your mojo back!

In skating, as in love, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I usually find myself in a mental slump toward the end of the season and wonder if it's all worth it. It's always a lack of progress that gets me down.

When our rink closes, I celebrate not having to get up at 4:30 am to skate. Soon however, I start making long trips to skate, and by the time our rink opens again in September, you couldn't drag me away from the ice.

tidesong
06-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Bundle of Joy:
Nothing spectacular... coach things that my lack of sleep affects my practises... and I was on a low hours per night streak

Little Nuisance:
Most things were pretty much the same... well again at least the ice cleared up at the end and I got to work on some stroking and edges.

Skittl1321
06-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Bundle of Joy Great lesson yesterday on almost completely empty ice (1 other skater, who was my coaches student so he stayed out of our way). As a result I was able to run the complete test from start to finish. Coach said it was completely passabled

Little Nuisance But the Waltz Eight and Backward Inside edges suck for my skating, even if they are passing standard. Oh- and coach decided my snowplow stop was babyish and he wouldn't let me do it. I can do a T-stop only if I'm going really really slow- so I have to take a pretty long glide out of some of the moves, because I have generated a good amount of power. I almost ran into the wall once- that was good motivation to get the t-stop.

Bigger Nuisance Right before practice I had a bad fall on my salchow. I didn't hit the landing well and started falling forward, so I shifed sideways so I'd hit my thigh instead of my head. I pretty much fell sitting, but really knocked my hip hard, which reverberated up my back to my neck. Having my neck pop really scared me! It was scary enough that I didn't get up right away, even though I wasn't hurt. I wasn't laying on the ice, but I must have looked shocked enough that a coach came by to ask if I was alright. OOPS- mustn't have people think there is a problem everytime I fall or else they won't come when there is one! I told him I was fine thanks, and stood up and went to the boards. My leg hurt horribly and so did my neck. After stretching my neck I was fine and went to do my lesson- my leg still hurts to walk though. BUT this is the first time anything I've done has hurt my neck- a few more of these and I might have to rethink skating- I can't risk my neck...

Sessy
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Rustyblades: it's good to take a break. Oftentimes something you couldn't get for a while suddenly sinks in after a break.

Bundle of joy:
- ankle's holding up for backspins and even a waltz jump or two, despite that the doctor said there was instability in it. Which is good, cuz when I got off the ice in April it wasn't holding up. Not gonna push it any further than this though for the moment. One time over the edge is enough for me.
- did a bunch of centered backspins, and the tracings are beginning to look like spins too even though the majority are still uncentered.
- figured out there's 3 problems with my forward spin ccw (the spin trainer is REALLY helping here with the being conscious of what you're doing part) : 1. dropping the right hip 2. dropping the same shoulder 3. coming up from the knee either too early or too late (it varies). Problem is, I don't know what the correct height is - can't see myself - and I can't focus on all 3 at the same time. So this is definitely a cookie for a coach - but it's good to have an idea for myself of where the problem is. Holding the arms on entrance instead of dropping them briefly like I was doing is helping tons for stability - but not for centering.

Nuisance:
- Totally need to think about taking ice dance (despite that the only serious ice dancing club in the vicinity has an average age of about 60) over the summer next summer. Spins and body position aren't sinking away that fast, but edge control is out the window completely. Even my 3-turns are sloppy.
- I fell on my back cw crossovers. To a spin entry. What's up with that? :o
- Apparently I really am the jumper explosive-brief-force type. I can hold the spinning position (on a backspin) - you know the one with the hips in and the chest pushed forward - for about 6-7 revolutions. Then the muscles are just exhausted and relax no matter if I focus on it. And really, I've got belly muscles that impress guys, so it's not for a lack of muscles. Guess I must practice on that position alone or something, holding it for a long time.

Overall well worth the 19 euro (25 dollar) for the not even 2 hours of ice actually.

Sessy
06-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Awesome about your backspin! Looks like the closed hips help after all! ;)

Closed shoulders mainly. I was falling to the right cuz without closing the arms I was breaking and twisting to the right from the waist. :lol:

That spin trainer thing is really good... Seriously. It's not magical of course but... it's good.

SynchroSk8r114
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Bundle of Joy: Amazing axels, decent double salchows (crossed my feet on a few!), and pretty good, fast flying camels. Dance was also great! Coach said Paso and Starlight should be ready to test by July 11th test sessioon! That's great too - I've already passed 4 dances in 9 weeks, and I really want to try and get these Pre-Golds done by the end of summer. All I've got left after Paso and Starlight is the Blues...

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Yay!!!!! So are you hooked yet?

Now why are the starts the coaches come up with always so much harder than the actual dances!:lol: Be careful - some of the judges hate that!

I'm beginning to wonder though if it might be better to wear over boot tights for the competition as maybe the judges will be put off if they think the boots look odd. Anyone else have this problem?There are some people out there who have very weird lacings to suit their particular feet - I may well not have the laces in the top two holes of my left foot, if it doesn't stop hurting soon, and I'm not the only one who does that! I don't expect the judges will notice, or mind if they do, but if you'd feel more comfortable in over-boot tights just in case, well, it's a great look! See you on Thursday!

As for me:

Nuisance: Foot still sore, although I think it was a little better today. This may be wishful thinking.....

Toe-picked myself in the first run-through of our free dance and fell over - let's hope I don't do that next Friday!

Joy: Compulsories felt really good - let's hope they looked that way! 2nd run-through of free dance was good and we fixed a problem at the start hat had been nagging at me. Couples' Interpretive piece (the Very Silly) is coming-along-nicely now, and coach's son says we can borrow his hobby-horse (don't even ask!!!) for it.

chowskates
06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
What a nuisance!

The rink was literally a swimming pool when I got there today - not just isolated puddles, but the entire rink seemed filled with water and the wake of the skates going through! This is what happens during public school holidays, when the rink would be busy the entire day, and there is not much time for the ice to sit and freeze.

I absolutely hate to fall in water, so I would not jump. Or if I did, I would find dry patches. It was a little better after resurfacing - there were 2 little dry patches, so I did manage some jumps. Still, was afraid to fall, slide and get into the pond, so jumps were horrible!

jazzpants
06-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Yay!!!!! So are you hooked yet?And more importantly, when are you gonna put on those blue booties again??? :twisted: :P ;) :lol:

Nuisance:

My sit spin position. It's low enough... HOWEVER secondary coach wants it even LOWER!!! (Some of you that has seen my video... yes, folks! You've heard it here first!!! I still have to get it even LOWER than what I have.) But her main concern is that I'm a bit "crooked" on the sit position and she wants that fixed first!
Camel: Not much time to work on those, and what I did try to do in front of her got her REALLY worried!!! 8O
There's always work to do on my scratch spin and today ain't any different. :twisted:
Ditto on FORWARD STROKING and crossovers!!! But it's definitely getting MUCH better!!! :roll:Bundle of Joy:

Had fun showing off my new artistic program music to her. Apparently the kids are thinking "Oh, whose music??? Is this someone's program or 'skating around the lap' music?" Secondary coach proudly boasted "Nope! It's Jazzpants' music!!!" and the next thing I know, secondary coach is shaking her booty and trying to nudge me to do the same. Meanwhile, the kids are chuckling, but I think it's more b/c secondary coach looks funny shaking her booty than my choice of music. :P :lol: (FWIW, primary coach is definitely trying to limit/avoid having me shake my booty in the program too... but so far he's busy working on the choreography for the artistic program of another one of his skaters, since my FS program is NOT QUITE FINISHED yet!)

doubletoe
06-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Closed shoulders mainly. I was falling to the right cuz without closing the arms I was breaking and twisting to the right from the waist. :lol:

That spin trainer thing is really good... Seriously. It's not magical of course but... it's good.

Ahh, I am VERY familiar with that particular problem, LOL! I sometimes fall into the habit of not swinging my right arm in as I go into the backspin. It's really hard to get it going without doing that. :roll:

doubletoe
06-20-2007, 06:49 PM
What a nuisance!

The rink was literally a swimming pool when I got there today - not just isolated puddles, but the entire rink seemed filled with water and the wake of the skates going through! This is what happens during public school holidays, when the rink would be busy the entire day, and there is not much time for the ice to sit and freeze.

I absolutely hate to fall in water, so I would not jump. Or if I did, I would find dry patches. It was a little better after resurfacing - there were 2 little dry patches, so I did manage some jumps. Still, was afraid to fall, slide and get into the pond, so jumps were horrible!

Ooh, sounds like you just need a little inspiration! Try this. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8F5l4_R_38 :lol:

jazzpants
06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
OMG!!! LMAO!!! :lol: (And I thought you were gonna post the one where Sasha does a triple sal right thru the ice into a pool of water...) :P :lol:

Yes, quite inspiring... especially the footwork!!! :P

chowskates
06-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Yes, indeed very inspiring... I've seen this before, but now that I know its on YouTube, I can watch it over and over again!!! :lol:

Sessy
06-21-2007, 01:40 AM
that's funny stuff.

Clarice
06-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Bundle of Joy: Finished choreographing my new free skate yesterday, and I can already finish on time with the music! I was kind of scared to try the lutzes with that much speed, so I just marked them in my lesson. I'll practice them today, and see if I can get them in.

Little Nuisance: Spins. It's always spins. That ($%#(*& camel! I also have a layback in this program for the first time, and I doubt it looks like much. I can get my leg up or my back down, but not both simultaneously. Sigh. It may become an attitude spin yet.

tidesong
06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
bundle of joy:
double loops are still on track again? I remmeber one crazy session, one ok one and today started really bad but coach had to get me to walk it through the single again before I could relax and do what I was supposed to do instead of just freezing up.
Its funny how basic somethings are... bending so I can jump and well pulling in at the right time. Just before I pull in I get this sense of just empty blueness... I've always attributed that to me staring down at the ice... but I have no idea, anyways its different and its SCARY but i know that if I pull in early so I don't get scared then it won't work. I have to relax, let the part come that i'm scared of... then pull in
and then its perfect (well not absolutely, coach said I had one full rotation one but I think i fell out of that landing) ...

only had time to run through spins vaguely today... and well they were ok I guess, camel didn't fall out too much. Oh and my flying sit spin made two surprising appearances last practise and this. Like yeah it flew (not perfect) but it wasn't a mini hop, and i spinned at the end! I really don't know whats up with it....

Little nuisance:
WHY can't i do my double toe loop just like last week?? WHY WHY WHY why :frus:
well ok after doing really crazy things all through sunday and tuesday, it some how magically cleared up to be slightly crazy when i told myself firmly to just relax and do the jump.
then my coach was quite pleased with the attempt, then we worked on somethings and I started freezing up again...:giveup:
finally she gave me an exercise to work on the entry. at least I got something to practise now...

p.s. hiphop instructor made us do so many crunches and plank holding until my abs hurt today... suprisingly it didnt actually really seem to affect my skating... and i told my coach and she said ya i should be doing those everyday...and that reminds me that I did the plank faithfully everyday for i think almost three weeks after my ballet teacher told me to do it and then uh.... I forgot :P I guess I'll start again... i wonder if I will still remember next month....

Sessy
06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Bundle of joy:
Did a bunch of centered scratch spins (though even more uncentered ones) AND figured out how to spin controlled (not centered yet) with a leg extended out.

Can now do a change-foot spin that has enough revolutions to pass. This means that if I can get my sit-spin, I've got all the spins I need to test the freestyle test I want to take (although for the test, you need to do the spins centered, but I've got till april! Can be done).

Back inside edges are now there (now to get some speed on them! I need them for the next MIF test).

The top of the Dutch skating world was on the ice too and were getting lessons in like... hydroblade-ish positions close to the ground. I could do them too. Woot! ego-boost!!!

Nuisance:

Ear infection or head cold or something like it. Ear hurts, head hurts, I'm going nauseous from the slightest movement and I'm dizzy. It started yesterday afternoon and I'm guessing that's why I can't get into the sit spin for the life of me (I never had one for real, but something that resembled one) and that's also why I didn't do a lot of spinning today.

SynchroSk8r114
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Bundle of joy: Awesome, awesome dance lesson! :D I worked mainly on learning the timing of the Starlight Waltz, which isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Heck, I actually like this waltz! (That's saying something for me, hahaha!) We're planning on putting it out, along with my Paso, sometime in mid-July, but unfortunately, I'll have to take the test in a standard size rink. Now typically this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm used to practicing in an Olympic rink and my coach said that she's concerned because I'm filling out the Olympic rink wall to wall. I thought it was because my edges aren't deep enough, but she said that I just push that hard, hahaha! Yay for power! :bow:

Little nuisance: Despite the fact that the rink was nearly empty, there were two other young girls skating...well, more like goofing around and getting in my way, which was a little irritating. Plus, one of the girls kept playing "Don't Rain on my Parade" and this one song from Grease over and over. Don't get me wrong - I love Grease, but if I heard the hand jive number one more time...:twisted:

Bundle of joy: Landed my first clean double salchow since getting my new skates two weeks ago! Doubles were always rotated completely, but for some reason, I kept two-footing the landing. (Blame it on the whole mental aspect of new boots & blades...) Now I officially have my axel and double salchows perfect in my new boots. Thank you, Harlick! :bow:

peanutskates
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
joy-ish: got a half loop and a two footed 1/2 or 3/4 flip. i've got the takeoff, now i need the strength to rotate 1 rotation.
got 4 rotations on forward spin. plus, on the perfectly zambonied ice, i could see the nice tracings... which were in a circle, not a bunch of 3 turns. yay!
backspin is looking even more promising.

nuisance: ankle rubbing/chafing against one skate.
fell on a loop attempt and got scratches (???) on my arm. how does ice scratch?

Sessy
06-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I've no idea but I've got it all over too. Usually I fall on cheesegrater ice, and then it's like one bloody pulp, but even mirror ice chafes somehow.

Terri C
06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Bundle of Joy:
Was finally able to skate this week and the ice was nice!!

Little Nuisance:
Kids are getting ready to compete at State Games this weekend and I again felt like I was in the way!

And now a Public Service announcement for my co-horts in Sitspin Hell:

I fell on every sitspin I did today in a effort to get lower and ya know what? The falls are not that bad, so I may be succeeding in getting that sit lower!

jazzpants
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
And now a Public Service announcement for my co-horts in Sitspin Hell:

I fell on every sitspin I did today in a effort to get lower and ya know what? The falls are not that bad, so I may be succeeding in getting that sit lower!Good! I took a few splats early this week on back sit spins too and almost took a bad splat today... but not on a sit spin (back or forwards...)

Little Nuisance:
The "click of death" on FO mohawks happened during my lesson. Went right down... primary coach cheered "YAAAAAY!!! She fell again!!!" Then he asked "It didn't hurt much huh???" I said "Owww! My wrist!!!" (Luckily for me I had on the Skating Safe hand pads under my gloves!!! ;) ) He said "Oh, geez! Your wrist doesn't hurt... :roll: " and went on with my lesson... There is NO WAY I can do a FO mohawk and NOT turn my hip!!! It's now my current DREADED MOHAWK!!! :evil: (Back to the wall I go to work on this BEAST....)

Worked on backspin... had some trouble but looking a tad better towards the end. Didn't work on camel or backsit...

Bundle of Joy:
We were adjusting my entrance into the loop jump in my FS program. This week it's "Oh, aren't you supposed to have another forward crossover before your FI mohawk to a jump?" I said "I don't need it! Before I was supposed to but you said that you don't want me going ALL the way over to the end of the rink." He said "Yeah, yeah! You don't need the extra crossovers push for power." It's a VERY good thing to know that I no longer need that many strokes to get across the rink and can be (in my opinion) "a little lazy!!!" (It also allows me to slow down a tad to go into my loop jump and maybe try for a loop-loop consistenly at speed, but I'm not telling him that!!! ;) )

Forward spin, sit spin good! All jumps up to flip are pretty enough for him, though he had to do a bit more work on the flip on extending the picking leg. Footwork is okay. The BO3's I did after my lesson were actually there... both sides!!! 8O :D

Sessy
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
LOL I was told on tuesday by the coach of our national lady's champion that apparently I take crazy hard falls. I was like, *shrug*. I think wrist guards are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. One of the best inventions of the modern world, somewhere between hot showers and chocolate chip cookies.

Emberchyld
06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I've been terrified of getting on the ice all week because I have a ballet recital tommorrow and Saturday night and deathly fear of getting any injury that I know I would dance through, regardless (Last year, I made a mess out of my bruised knee... and had to bite my lip everytime I had to go onto my knees in performance!). But the ice called anyway, so I kept the session short and made myself promise not to jump or do anything crazy....

Bundle of Joy: I kept my promise, mostly. Forced myself to try and clean up my 3s and edges and crossovers.
Got 2 revs on my backspin and I know I'd have had many more if I didn't keep chickening out

Someone turned on "Black Velvet" about halfway through and I played for juuuuust a second. I love it when the music just gets to me.

Nuisance: RO3. I don't know what happened to them, but I have to force them and they're not pretty at all.

Still eeeew on the spins from crossover entry.

And I'm still plagued with a miserable cold (or series of colds) that just won't go away!

dbny
06-21-2007, 08:26 PM
BIG Nuisance:
Went to a public session today with two friends. One, I've been teaching on and off, but she's still a real beginner. We were skating along together, just chatting because I was too tired to do much. She hit a divot with her toepick, grabbed me, fell back, and pulled me down too 8O. I went straight down, making a one point landing on my left butt. I was so shocked that I just sat there a minute feeling it hurt. Then I said "get up, get up!" We got up, and she said she was OK. I told her nothing was broken, but (with a :twisted: glare and hands grabbing at her) that could be fixed! I must remind myself to never skate too close to a beginner unless I'm teaching them! I sat on a small ice pack for a while. I have a lesson tomorrow, and am still in considerable pain. Will go sit on a heating pad soon.

Little Bundle of Joy:
Was teaching spins in group tonight. After explaining that I don't spin well with my glasses on, I proceeded to do a very nice demo of a well controlled one foot spin. Did it again too! Looks like it's back, if I can do it with glasses :lol:.

Sessy
06-22-2007, 01:54 AM
BIG Nuisance:
Little Bundle of Joy:
Was teaching spins in group tonight. After explaining that I don't spin well with my glasses on, I proceeded to do a very nice demo of a well controlled one foot spin. Did it again too! Looks like it's back, if I can do it with glasses :lol:.

Really? I can't spin without glasses (or do anything else).

kateskate
06-22-2007, 05:47 AM
HUGE nuisance
I have 2 days of competitions next week and I am so utterly unprepared for the dance ones. I have done very little work on the foxtrot (only 45mins in total in lesson time) and I know it is dire.
Free dance was only choreographed on Monday and I have to compete it on Fri 29th. I can't even begin to explain how unpolished it is. I can't even do large parts of it.
RBI/RFI rocker into RFI LBO Choctaws are just not working. I bail every time and they are in my free dance. Yuck! Any tips greatly received. I don't think I'm getting my right shoulder back enough on the RBI and I think I let my left side go too wide on the Choctaw. I can do them on the left side but I can't seem to replicate the positioning on the right.
Other people at the rink are stressing me out and whilst I know I shouldn't let it bother me, it is making me very nervy and stressed.

Bundle of joy
My free skating programme is working very well including new 30 seconds added to the end for the modified 2 min programme.
14 step feels ok
I can now (after this morning's session) do my free dance step sequence.
Suddenly in amongst all the other stress, triple twizzles seem very easy and the least of my worries.

Rusty Blades
06-22-2007, 07:11 AM
I must remind myself to never skate too close to a beginner unless I'm teaching them!

And even then, think twice! My coach is hardly more than half my weight and 6" shorter but when I start to loose it, she has a habit of reaching out to grab/help me (undoubtedly because she mostly works with young girls). I have told her time and again "DON'T DO THAT!", to just let me fall. First of all, if she grabs me she is not going to be able to stop me from going down, I'll take her down to and we both might get hurt. Secondly, I am less likely to get hurt if I have my full mobility. If somebody grabs my hand or my arm, that limits what I can do between loosing my footing and hitting the ice.

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2007, 10:40 AM
HUGE nuisance
I have 2 days of competitions next week and I am so utterly unprepared You are so not the only one! We haven't even finished our couples' Interp yet, but right now my left foot hurts so badly when I force it into its skate - and even worse when I take it off again - that skating simply isn't fun and we didn't go again today. Husband says tomorrow, but I hate skating on Saturday mornings.

And we have only done our Golden Skaters' Waltz twice - and I don't know if he's even done it solo yet! Ah well....

We have three days of competition, as there's a club competition on Sunday, too!

See you on Thursday!

Morgail
06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Bundle of Joy:
-did one really good and fast sit-change-sit
-got more revs on my backspin, and now I can actually hold my free leg out a little before pulling it in
-did some good flips
-did some fast and low (for me) sit spins

Little Nuisance:
-my good camel from a few days ago didn't show up much today
-loops were tiny and weirdly-landed
-back sit - can't quite figure out how to do this without doing a forward sit first
-didn't get to work much on my lutz today
-BIG pains in my behind (from stretching to improve my spiral) and my left shoulder (from flinging my arm back too hard for the camel). Ouch...

xofivebyfive
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Little Nuisance:
Basically everything. I was so tired today from not sleeping and from being sick and ugh. I rushed my layback position so those were ugly. I can't jump because everytime I land, my heel moves up and slides down the back of the boot(anyone understand what I mean? The skate shop guy doesn't. :frus: ) And it helped a lot that there were about.. 12 other skaters, all 11 or under and I really stood out, especially since I was sucking so bad.

Bundle of Joy:
My spirals were okay. And my speed on my layback wasn't bad; just the positioning was.

Here's a video from today. The timing of the music got messed up somehow because my editor sucks. So anyway. Let me know what you think and what I could do better:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRQqbVVrnn8

chowskates
06-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Little Nuisance:
Basically everything. I was so tired today from not sleeping and from being sick and ugh. I rushed my layback position so those were ugly. I can't jump because everytime I land, my heel moves up and slides down the back of the boot(anyone understand what I mean?

I used to have that problem when doing a camel-sit-upright spin. It was solved when I got a boot with a narrower heel. ;-)

Here's a video from today. The timing of the music got messed up somehow because my editor sucks. So anyway. Let me know what you think and what I could do better:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRQqbVVrnn8

Saw that and I didn't think it was all that bad... about the layback position - I'm not sure if the position was because you rushed, but it looks like you're just trying to bend back without pushing the hips forward. I later saw your "improved layback spin" video and the position was much better, so you can do it!

dbny
06-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Really? I can't spin without glasses (or do anything else).

I wear contacts to skate because my glasses have progressive lenses, which tend to be disorienting on the ice. When I teach groups, the glasses are fine because I'm not doing much anyway.

And even then, think twice! My coach is hardly more than half my weight and 6" shorter but when I start to loose it, she has a habit of reaching out to grab/help me (undoubtedly because she mostly works with young girls). I have told her time and again "DON'T DO THAT!", to just let me fall. First of all, if she grabs me she is not going to be able to stop me from going down, I'll take her down to and we both might get hurt. Secondly, I am less likely to get hurt if I have my full mobility. If somebody grabs my hand or my arm, that limits what I can do between loosing my footing and hitting the ice.

When working with beginning adults, I often steady them by putting my hands on their wrists, or by allowing them to hover one hand over the barrier and the other over my hand. The major difference between working with an adult and skating next to one, is that when working, I'm prepared! My friend caught me totally by surprise, and as she was slightly behind me, pulled me back and down.

Major Bundle of Joy:
I only hurt when I sit down :roll: :lol:. I had a great lesson today! The best thing was that I am now doing FO threes with almost no excess upper body movement, and actually did one that was properly checked! I asked my coach to check out my waltz-8, since I will be teaching it soon. Except for the threes (which are almost OK again), the pattern was good, and my coach feels I won't have any problem. Fortunately, my student is not quite there yet, but I think she will be in the next month or two. I also decided that I need to work on being able to do a F three while just skating along, and we worked on that. I was able to do a few of both FO and FI threes, and coach showed me a technique to ease me into this. Worked on spins, and did a few decent one foot spins from T push. Finally, I got a few tips on getting used to my new skates which I should be getting next Friday http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/p010.gif

xofivebyfive
06-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I used to have that problem when doing a camel-sit-upright spin. It was solved when I got a boot with a narrower heel. ;-)
Ahhh I just bought these boots in April! I think my parents would have a heart attack if I had to buy another pair so soon(especially since these were so expensive.)

Saw that and I didn't think it was all that bad... about the layback position - I'm not sure if the position was because you rushed, but it looks like you're just trying to bend back without pushing the hips forward. I later saw your "improved layback spin" video and the position was much better, so you can do it!
Yeah I definitely was just trying to get into it and completely forgot everything that I was ever told to remember while doing it. I'll try and remember next time I try them.

Terri C
06-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Unexpected Bundle of Joy:
Got called off from work today, so I took off to the rink!
Since everyone except for a couple of us were at State Games, the ice was empty.

More Bundles of Joy:
Am getting the idea behind the LFO-RBI three turn sequence on Silver moves. Actually worked on Silver moves for the first in a good while.
Was able to work on stroking and power while playing a Rolling Stones CD!

Little Nuisance:
Will I ever get the balance on my sit where it's low enough without falling?
Skated my program for the second time since test day- ay yi yi!

Scarlett
06-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Bundle of Joy-
Skated on the new blades for the first time. So this is what a rocker feels like! I had forgotten.
Loops were consistent. Consistently cheated but consistent all the same.

Little Nuisance-
Sit spins and back spins were elsewhere today.
Flips would have been there if we were allowed to land them on two feet.

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Little Nuisance: Well, if a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance, we should shine on Friday! Not a good run-through of our free dance, to put it mildly, although the coach did say our step sequence was the best she'd seen it. However, the rest of it.... largely due to crowded ice so we had to dodge someone just as we set out and never really got it back.

Toe still sore, but bearable.

Bundles of Joy: Not sure, really. Husband did a good run-through of his free programme. He is beginning to remember the steps of our couples' artistic, which is probably more than I shall on the day! Have got most of the props we need, and the costume is well in hand, so maybe we'll be ready for Thursday. Then again....

tidesong
06-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Bundle of Joy:
Change edge back sit seems to be a little easier now... but easier when higher, not lower, so have to work on it more.

Double toe on the upswing again, had many good suspects... no idea if they are really good or not, this jump just makes me go crazy

Double loop is ok...as in it isn't dead, but I think its still mostly under... I have to go back to the single loop everytime my double messes up, then I can attempt the double semi-properly.

Double flip had one suspect! wheeee

Ran through laybacks, hit one nice one.

Little Nuisance:
No idea whats going on with forward change edge sit spin... as in not sure if I'm changing edge etc blah
Flying camel was just impossible... it kept mutating everytime I did it, some attempts were better but I couldn't really repeat them lol
Took really long to get my 5 axels and double salchows at the start of session for once... bad bad bad...well at least I can manage to talk them back into being... lol

Morgail
06-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I can't jump because everytime I land, my heel moves up and slides down the back of the boot(anyone understand what I mean? The skate shop guy doesn't. :frus: )

Yeah, it does sound like the heel of your boot is too wide. My old Riedells did that too, and it was really annoying. Next time you can get boots, check into getting a split width. Mine are A width in the front, and AA in the heel (I think)...and my heel doesn't slip at all now.
Maybe you can try putting in some of those heel gripper things. I have to do that in some of my shoes to keep them from falling off my heels. I'm not sure how they'd work in skates, but it might help. You can find them at drugstores & I don't think they cost more than $5.

xofivebyfive
06-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah, it does sound like the heel of your boot is too wide. My old Riedells did that too, and it was really annoying. Next time you can get boots, check into getting a split width. Mine are A width in the front, and AA in the heel (I think)...and my heel doesn't slip at all now.
Maybe you can try putting in some of those heel gripper things. I have to do that in some of my shoes to keep them from falling off my heels. I'm not sure how they'd work in skates, but it might help. You can find them at drugstores & I don't think they cost more than $5.
It's like the left side of my heel that gets rubbed, not the back. which is why it's weird. But thanks for the advice.

Morgail
06-24-2007, 03:43 PM
It's like the left side of my heel that gets rubbed, not the back. which is why it's weird. But thanks for the advice.

Is it only on the foot you land jumps with? Have you tried calling different boot fitters and asking them about it? Even if your skate guy hasn't heard of this happening, maybe someone else has. I hope you can figure out what it is...I can imagine how painful it is.

Okay, here's my report for today's practice:

Bundle of Joy:
-Camels were good.
-Back Camels!! I did a few that actually had a revolution. Whee! I even tried to throw in a back sit with them, but that wasn't very pretty.
-Lutz is getting close. Did a bunch where I put my left foot down a split second after my right foot landed...this means I don't really need to put down my left foot even though my subconscious thinks I need to:frus:

Little Nuisance:
-Didn't get to really practice Moves today because the session was mobbed.

WhisperSung
06-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Bundle of Joy:
Passed my junior moves in the field test today on the first try! This sure beats the 10 tries at Novice! This is the first moves test I've passed on the first try since pre-juvenile 8O

Little Nuisance:
I landed the two hardest jump elements in my Novice Freeskate (double toe double toe combo and double loop) and then I fell on the solo double toe and double salchow. AND I tripped on back crossovers and splatted, as well. It was not my day for freestyle. :frus:

The ironic thing is that I was much more prepared for freestyle than I was for moves. I still can't believe I passed on the first try. Novice took 10 tries over 5 years, and Junior took all of 8 months. I suppose I really strengthened my moves technique with having to work on Novice so long. :)

Sessy
06-24-2007, 04:58 PM
I've got the full range of motion in my toes back! Ankle still hurts but apparently something's getting better!

kateskate
06-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Bundle of joy
Had a mini rocker-choctaw breakthrough. I did 2 run throughs and didn't bail! Yay!
Free dance is feeling less new and doable on a good day with 300% concentration and all the luck from all the skating gods (let's hope that all happens on Fri)
My camel spin came back - it went missing on Thurs.

Nuisance
I wish my free dance was a bit more prepared. Different things can and will go wrong each time. I get lucky occasionally with a good run through but it is still too new to be any good
Foxtrot mohawk is evil (and I used to like that one!) My positioning is all wrong.

xofivebyfive
06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Is it only on the foot you land jumps with?

..I hope you can figure out what it is...I can imagine how painful it is.

Yeah it's only the right foot, although I've never tried jumping and landing on my left foot so I don't know.. haha. And it's not just painful physically, it's painfuly psychologically too! I want to land my axel so bad and I can't even work on it at the moment!

Scarlett
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Congratulations WhisperSung!

dbny
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Passed my junior moves in the field test today on the first try! This sure beats the 10 tries at Novice! This is the first moves test I've passed on the first try since pre-juvenile 8O

CONGRATULATIONS!

tidesong
06-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Bundle of Joy:

Congratulations!!!! That's really really awesome!!

Debbie S
06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Congratulations, WhisperSung!

jazzpants
06-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Congrats to you on your Junior Moves, WhisperSung!!! WOO HOO!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a045.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a040.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a050.gif

(Sorry to hear about your Novice FS though. :cry: )

Thin-Ice
06-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Bundle of Joy:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Wow! That's soooo cool! At judges schools they keep telling us the Junior Moves are actually harder than the Senior Moves... they just expect the performance level of Senior Moves to be higher than on Junior. Hurray for you!

Sessy
06-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah it's only the right foot, although I've never tried jumping and landing on my left foot so I don't know.. haha. And it's not just painful physically, it's painfuly psychologically too! I want to land my axel so bad and I can't even work on it at the moment!

I kind of really know what that's like!!!!!!!! You've got all of my sympathy.

WhisperSung
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks, everyone!! :)

jazzpants: Yeah, I was a little miffed about Novice Free, but I think it's a stamina thing. I don't skate enough to get my stamina up where I'm confident I can get through the program. Besides, I never thought I'd still be passing tests into my 20's, so I'm really grateful when I pass even one (and I'll admit that I really wanted the moves more than the freestyle since they're so darn subjective!).

Thin-Ice: What's strange is my last coach had a girl pass Novice Moves on the first try and then had to take Junior moves 10 times. I was just the opposite. Maybe the excessive work I put into Novice moves transfered over to Junior. Now I'm going to really have to pull out all the stops for Senior, because my presentation skills stink!

mikawendy
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Congratulations, WhisperSung!!!!!