View Full Version : instrumental "It's a Kind of Magic" by Queen

peanutskates
06-17-2007, 09:19 AM
hey, can anyone tell me where I could find this piece of music please? thank you!

techskater
06-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Have you tried Amazon? I borrowed a CD from the library that was the Scottish Symphony doing a Queen mix that was really good, but I don't recall if "It's a Kind of Magic" was on it...

FLskater
06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm not really familiar with that one, but I did a search on itunes for "kind of magic" & there were a few instrumental pieces that sounded like the Queen song. Now, this isn't Queen doing instrumental, but other artists. HTH!

techskater
06-17-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Very-Best-Queen-Deacon/dp/B00004VW47/ref=sr_1_2/105-0758066-4958821?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1182095096&sr=8-2

#10 when you listen to the samples - John Deacon put this together, too.

peanutskates
06-17-2007, 02:28 PM
techskater - thank you so much! if I use this piece in competition, however, will it matter that there is one phrase in it?

frbskate63
06-17-2007, 05:16 PM
You would get a music deduction in a freestyle program if there are any words in it at all. Can you cut it to exclude the vocal bit?

SynchroSk8r114
06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Go to Limewire.com - download free trial and you can download this song.

As for cutting it to exclude lyrics, you can google "Goldwave" and download a free trial version that will let you edit and mix different parts of the song. It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it, but it takes some time to mess around with it before you can perfectly edit.

techskater
06-17-2007, 06:57 PM
techskater - thank you so much! if I use this piece in competition, however, will it matter that there is one phrase in it?

Yes, you'll get a deduction, but if you cut it out, it will work just fine. Try Audacity to cut it. It's free and works great

peanutskates
06-18-2007, 07:26 AM
yeah I've got audacity, the newest free version. but it doesn't let me do any effects for some reason? like fading out the last note or whatever, but I agree that it's still good.

Mrs Redboots
06-18-2007, 10:11 AM
yeah I've got audacity, the newest free version. but it doesn't let me do any effects for some reason? like fading out the last note or whatever, but I agree that it's still good.It should let you fade - make sure you have the bit you want to fade selected (click and drag, or else click and select "Cursor to end" if appropriate), and then you should find you can do this.

Also, you do have to switch the playback _off_, not just paused, otherwise you can't do anything to it.

Having said that, I do prefer a definite ending to a faded one, anyway!

Oh, and whatever you do to your piece, turn it mono, as rink speakers are so variable and nothing worse than finding that one track isn't playing!

Team Arthritis
06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I cut lots of music for our skaters and one trick when there are only a few words is to go into the distortion/ feedback/ echo/ chorus tools and start messing with the area with the words. I just did a Jr long program with some music from Cirque and it sounds even better distorted than with the half spoken word in it. Now its just a wierd whooshing noise that adds to the drama.

Lyle

Scooby-Doo
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
When I was looking for music by Queen that was instrumental, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra had several CD's.

The CD Queen Rhapsody "The Hits of Queen" has "It's A Kind of Magic".

It is very nice, upbeat, but it is not all instrumental, there are some words.

Another one of my favorites CD's is "The Queen Symphony".

Good Luck.

peanutskates
06-20-2007, 01:49 AM
how about an instrumental version of a mika song? e.g. lollipop, love today, my interpretation ? do instrumental versions of them even exist? thanks

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
It sounds awful, but look for a karaoke version of your favourite - after the beginning, which you can cut, it's all instrumental. I did that for Husband's Bohemian Rhapsody programme, which is to have its final outing next Thursday at Bracknell! Now we have the angst of trying to find new music for him.... sigh.... but he's had this one two years now, and that's enough.