View Full Version : Ankle pain

newskaker5
06-16-2007, 12:13 AM
I need some advice on ankle pain caused by my boot. I havent done anything different lately, no new skills, no change in footware, etc. But for the last few weeks, right above the ankle/foot joint I am getting terrible pain - like the boot is digging into the skin. It is so annoying because after about an hour and a half of skating it starts to hurt and swell from the irritation (just the one spot-not like an injury but like a bruise) and then because of the pain, I end up bending the ankle less, which makes my skating pretty crappy haha.

Anyway, I wear bunga pads, I even put a silicone sleeve over this and that didnt help. I talked to the pro shop and they gave me a pad (which I actually think is a piece of a kitchen sponge), and I put that in my boot today and that did not help either.

My boots are not breaking down whatsoever, so I am not quite sure what the cause is. Has this happened to anyone else? I even took almost a full week off (cause of strep throat but I figured it would help the ankle too) and as soon as I skate the problem comes back.

I am upset because the ice house camp is coming up and I dont want to be in pain and skating poorly only 2 hours into camp :(

itfigures
06-16-2007, 12:41 AM
When I had pain in my skates (mostly because they were new:roll: ) I would walk around the yard and around the house bending in different directions.
I personally think that you should go to a pro shop and see if there is anything wrong with your boot, sice you have been having this pain for a while now. If they are Jackson skates you can also get them heat molded to you foot. :D :D

newskaker5
06-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks - they are reidells and they were heat molded. I have had them about a year and no problems until now. The pro shop looked at them and said they were fine, just an irritation and gave me the pad :(

SynchroSk8r114
06-16-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure if I understand exactly where the boots rubbing you, but if it's where I think it is, go to a skate shop and have them punch out the area for you. That should do the trick, especially if your sore on your ankle bone.

newskaker5
06-16-2007, 11:24 PM
The pain is the very front of the ankle- right above where the foot and ankle come together- dead center in the front of the ankle - not sure if this can be punched out? And if I tie the laces looser over this area, i do not skate as well:frus:

SkatingOnClouds
06-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Hey Newskater, I'm going through a similar thing with my Graf Galaxies !I've had them for about a year and a half, they show no sign of breaking down areound the ankles. Suddenly for the past 3 weeks I am getting a similar problem on the inner side of my left ankle, at the front of it. I put it down to working on lutzes, though I can't see how that's causing it.

It feels more bruised than anything, and there is never even a mark there to show exactly where it is. It isn't that my boots need punching out there, and indeed there hasn't been any ankle pain with these boots right from new. (my bunions, well that's another story)

It is almost like the side of the tongue might be pushing into it, though I haven't yet identified exactly what is causing it.

I hope you find the answer, maybe it'll help me too.

techskater
06-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Sounds like it may be lace bite. The tongue is probably starting to compress so your laces are biting that area as there's less padding. Try lacing your skates differently. There are several suggestions on here for dealing with lace bite

SkatingOnClouds
06-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Lace bite? Well, I'd agree if it were at the front of the foot, but mine is off to one side, the inner side of my left ankle. It is behind the lacing.