View Full Version : Most famous person you've met in a rink?

kander
06-14-2007, 07:13 PM
This is going to suprise you because it's not Boitano or somebody like that. I once met Barry Bonds in an ice rink! This was in his pre-steroid days. I got to talk to him for a few minutes as we skated around. It turns out he used to play hockey as a kid and he may have had a daughter who skated.

jskater49
06-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Scott Williams opened the door for me to the World Arena in Colorado Springs several years ago...

I didn't really meet him though...just mumbled thank you...

j

LilJen
06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Um, Charles Schulz? Back in the 70s/early 80s, at his rink in Santa Rosa, Calif, where my dad did the "Senior World Hockey Tournaments" for years.

kander
06-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Um, Charles Schulz? Back in the 70s/early 80s, at his rink in Santa Rosa, Calif, where my dad did the "Senior World Hockey Tournaments" for years.

I always wanted to tell him how much I loved his Peanuts when I was growing up, but I never had the nerve to talk to him.

LilJen
06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I don't remember if I talked to him--probably not, knowing how shy I was as a kid--but what a wonderful all-around person. Dh and I were both so sad when he died.

cecealias
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Brian Boitano every single week..... umm... well ok it's also his practice sessions at the same rink :lol: The fun part is seeing him and his coach get in and out of their parking spaces!!

doubletoe
06-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan and. . . Jerry Bruckheimer! (producer of Pirates of the Caribbean and a gazillion other hit movies and TV shows). He skates at our rink twice a week in the mornings.

Beccapoo2003
06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I met all of the competitors plus Peggy F, etc, when I co-chaired registration at US Nats in Atlanta! Also, I got a HUGE hug from John Z on my B-day Tuesday!! Drool!
Skating....gotta luv it!! He he!:D :lol:

Rusty Blades
06-14-2007, 08:19 PM
When I was a teenager there were a few "big names" guest skated at our spring carnival. Working behind the curtain I got to meet them. Dorothy Hamill was an absolute doll! The only one I met that I disliked was Toller Cranston - all the others were wonderful.

looplover
06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Also, I got a HUGE hug from John Z on my B-day Tuesday!! Drool!

I think I would have absolutely passed out :bow: :bow: 8O 8O

TimDavidSkate
06-15-2007, 08:15 AM
So many .... 8O
Kwan, Cohen, Lipinski, Bobek, Yagudin, Bauil, Boitano, Hammil, Sara Hughes, Usova & Zhulin, Scott Davis, Weir, Stojko, Manley, Derrick Delmore, Ashley Wagner, Weiss, Brasseiur & Eisler, Karen Kwan, John Z., Sylvia F., Lu Chen, Oleg O., ELaine Zayak ... as of right now, what I can remember

Rusty Blades
06-15-2007, 09:30 AM
So many .... Stojko ....

Elvis?

SWOON!

SynchroSk8r114
06-15-2007, 10:49 AM
About ten years ago, I met Yuka Sato and Caryn Kadavy when they were practicing for their Stars on Ice show at the rink I skated at. I got their autographs and a pic with Yuka Sato.

A few years down the road, I acutally got the chance to meet and skate with Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman, as well as some Japanese pairs team that I can't remember the name of. It was an amazing experience. I got their autographs and Ina and Zimmerman were really nice, esp. John who tolerated all the young girls oohing and ahhing over him! Hahaha, poor guy...

Mrs Redboots
06-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Some of the contestants in "Dancing on Ice" trained at our rink; not so much this year (the two who trained here, embarrassingly, went out in the first two rounds), but in the first series I met John Barrowman and Dame Kelly Holmes. But it was far more fun meeting Jayne Torvill & Chris Dean!

sk8er1964
06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I once gave an order to Richard Callahan, thinking he was rink staff. :lol: Does that count?

I think the only senior international level folks I've met are Todd Eldridge and Oksana Biaul. We have a lot of really great junior-international level ice dancers at our rink. I'm sure most of them will be hits on the senior level, barring injury, of course.

froggy
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
met and got to take pictures w/kimmie meissner, michelle kwan, belbin and agosta, at a skating event. in a rink i used to skate at i would see emily hughes occasionally.

MusicSkateFan
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a few skaters but my all time favorite was.......

Meeting Carol Heiss Jenkins after the 2004 Nationals in the Chili's (or Chevy's) in the Atlanta Airport. She was soooo nice......I sat right next to her on a bench and waited patiently until she had finished her lunch before starting up a conversation....actually she had started the conversation about the event!

I told her how wonderful she always looks when she is sitting in the kiss and cry with her skaters. She seemed so pleased!:) :)

icedancer2
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Paul Wylie who I actually spoke with, and Nancy Kerrigan, who was lacing her boots up in the room across from me. It was before she was really famous but was making her way up the ranks. I didn't recognize her at all because she was without makeup, etc. Someone had to point her out to me.

At this same rink I was once standing next to someone who seemed vaguely familiar. When I got home I realized it was Michael Siebert!

My mom once ran into Gordie Howe at a horse show at my stable growing up. He held the door open for her. She said, "Thank you Mr. Howe." So polite! (oops - this is not a rink, and this is not ME!):giveup:

jskater49
06-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh how could I forget? A few years ago the USFSA had a "win a lesson with Todd Eldredge" contest and my daughter won --they were group sessions and it was in Texas. But we got a priceline deal and took a long weekend in Dallas and she had a group lesson with Todd Eldredge, Richard Callaghan and some scary European guy.

Of course, "I* didn't actually meet any of them...

j

WhisperSung
06-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Kristi Yamaguchi used to skate summer sessions at Bloomington FSC when I was a member there.

Alex Johnson and Rhianna Brammier (current Novice silver national medalist and last year's Novice national champion) skate at my current rink.

Oh, and I saw the "jumping shrimp" from "Ice Princess" this morning. I used to coach her way back when and we've attempted to keep in touch throughout the years. Hi, Kirsten! ;)

That's about it, though, unless you count seeing competitors at the Campbells Cup in St Paul 2 years in a row.

ETA: Oh, and I forgot! Kent Hrbeck (MN Twins baseball player in the early '90's) had a daughter who skated at FSC of Bloomington about 6 years back so I've sort of met him.

jazzpants
06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Let's see...

BB (of course, since he's at my home rink), Kristi Y, Derrick Delmore, (sorta) NNN (she was getting off the ice as I was getting on...), Renee and Gorsha (almost had an accident with them on a FS session... :oops: )

BatikatII
06-15-2007, 04:47 PM
David Tennant (actor of Dr. Who fame) who was filming for a two part drama.
Poor guy spent nearly all day in the awful 'blue wellie' rental skates.

Gary Lineker (famous England footballer and TV presenter) who brought his boys to skate. He wouldnt go on the ice himself as he said it was too dangerous!!!

looplover
06-15-2007, 07:09 PM
1) Petr Barna, such a nice guy and distractingly gorgeous (darn, married :P )
2) Todd Schnitt, syndicated radio talk show host (I think his daughter was at a party)

slusher
06-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Wayne Gretzky, a couple of times, but most memorably was when he was 17 and my then boyfriend of the time pointed him out and said, you should go say hi. I'm terrible at recognizing famous people. So I walk over and say "my boyfriend wants to meet you". I thought my boyfriend was going to kill me. Wayne was fun about it.

Lots of hockey players, there's a training camp near me every summer.

I skate sometimes at an elite centre so have met lots of figure skaters but who I really liked because they were so humble and just massively talented were Xhen and Zhao.

Bill_S
06-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I haven't met anyone famous - yet. After all, who comes to Athens, Ohio to skate?

I have always had a crush on Peggy Fleming though, and she rates up there with someone I'd LIKE to meet at the rink. In fact, she's responsible for my figure skating today.

I remember watching her Olympic performance on TV (in COLOR!) and was a completely smitten teenager. I practiced twice as hard on the frozen pond in the winter of 1968 in the hopes that I'd be able to skate well enough to meet her someday.

There's still time...

Justine_R
06-15-2007, 09:53 PM
ive met jamie sale & david pelletier, irina slutskiya, kurt borowning.. well the whoole stars on ice cast basically.

Raye
06-15-2007, 11:46 PM
When Stars on Ice came to Prospera Centre in BC, they asked a few of the local skaters to guest-perform. My Granddaughter was one of the chosen few to skate a group number with 9 others... She was over the moon.... The whole 'Stars on Ice' cast is a WONDERFUL group of people.

As long as we are name-dropping, I have had lessons from the legendary Donald Jackson himself (and I have Jackson boots) and sometimes Mira and Emmanuel skate on the Saturday session that I skate on... 8-)

Sk8pdx
06-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Paul Wylie who I actually spoke with, and Nancy Kerrigan, who was lacing her boots up in the room across from me. It was before she was really famous but was making her way up the ranks. I didn't recognize her at all because she was without makeup, etc. Someone had to point her out to me. ....

You met Paul Wylie? cool.8-) He is among the list of my favorite skaters.

TashaKat
06-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Robin Cousins. Met him a few times, even skated on the same ice as him a couple of time, once there was only him and I 8O

Robbie Williams filming 'She's The One' video

Didn't actually meet her but Princess Diana brought 'the boys' to Queens once

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2007, 04:16 AM
David Tennant (actor of Dr. Who fame) who was filming for a two part drama.
Poor guy spent nearly all day in the awful 'blue wellie' rental skates.Goodness, I wish I'd known; I'd have come and drooled all day!

Gary Lineker (famous England footballer and TV presenter) who brought his boys to skate. He wouldnt go on the ice himself as he said it was too dangerous!!!Whereas former England goalie David Seaman (who I also met, come to think of it, in fact literally ran into when he was in DoI) is apparently still skating (and still getting in people's way, so I'm told by someone who trains at the same rink).

I also met Bonnie Langford when she was in DoI, but not to talk to.

And once, a couple of years ago, the current British champions John & Sinead Kerr came to our rink for a judges' critique. We happened to have our dance lesson that morning, and ran through our then free dance, which was a Scottish number. Next thing you know, the Kerrs have a Scottish number.... funny, that! (And actually rather flattering).

BatikatII
06-16-2007, 04:35 AM
OOh I forgot to mention all the skaters I've met at rinks!

We met John & Sinead at the Coventry Ice show and they have to be two of the nicest people ever. Spent ages talking to the kids from our skate club too and posing for photos and chatting. I had met them before at Worlds 2004 in Dortmund and they were lovely then too.

Also at Coventry met most of the cast of the show including Plushenko who posed for photos with us in the interval, as did many of the others afterwards too.

My favourite skater meeting was Brian Joubert who I met and chatted to in Dortmund also. His whole entourage was really friendly.

Also Johnny Weir who was lovely both on and off the ice.

lovepairs
06-16-2007, 07:16 AM
I was down in Chelsea, NYC, doing some work at the galleries. Had to go to the powder room, so I figure I would stop up at Sky Rink, take a break, and then get back to work.

I step off the elevator and no one is in the rink, except, quess who?

MICHELLE KWAN!

So, there I am standing in a room with just Michelle Kwan and me...how weird was that!? So, I just went up to her and started chatting...she was soooo nice. I had a spread sheet of artworks that I was looking at in Chelsea, so she autographed it! I still have it!!!

When I think back on that, I'm certain that it was a little gift from the Skating Gods! :P

starskate6.0
06-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Scott Hamilton, Mark Cockerell, George Lucas, some TV people ( the younger skaters in the show knew who they where ) :roll: I don't watch much TV, Kurt Douglas, Jerry Lewis, Linda Fratiane... In the Ice show not at the rink really, ..Oh and of course,, Liz manley, ( one of coaches. ) :) and some others I don't remember..

FSWer
06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't know if this counts. But when I met my coach at LTS= Learn to Skate. She turned out to be a Former Pairs Skater (not too known though),and a Synchronized Skater.

kander
06-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Scott Hamilton, Mark Cockerell, George Lucas, some TV people ( the younger skaters in the show knew who they where ) :roll: I don't watch much TV, Kurt Douglas, Jerry Lewis, Linda Fratiane... In the Ice show not at the rink really, ..Oh and of course,, Liz manley, ( one of coaches. ) :) and some others I don't remember..

You met George Lucas in an ice rink?? Is there a story to go with it? Darth Vader on ice with synchronized storm troopers? :)

icetrix
06-17-2007, 02:36 AM
I passed Anton Sikharulidze and Elena Berezhnaya on the stairs after the Queen's Gala at the Nottingham Ice Arena 2002 and froze rigid! I was dying to say something but words completely escaped me..so I just kept walking.. Still kicking myself :oops:

icedancer2
06-17-2007, 04:01 PM
You met Paul Wylie? cool.8-) He is among the list of my favorite skaters.

Yup, this was in Boston, where you saw people like that sometimes because they trained in the area. But he didn't usually train at our rink - then one day I came in after not skating for a week or so. He was sitting in the changing room chatting with everyone and I walked in and my jaw just dropped. Everyone was kind of smiling and I know everyone was thinking, "Paul Wylie, Paul Wylie." It was cute.

[By the way I saw your coach this weekend and she said you had started maybe skating again - glad to hear about it!].

lovepairs
06-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Many, many moons ago, sometime during the late '70s and early '80s I used to skate on the same session with John Curry up at Sky Rink in NYC. I think he was doing the theatre on ice thing at that time. Katherine Helley (sp?) as a little girl (around 12 or 13) skated on that session, too. This was right before she did the movie with Dudly Moore. Katherine used to do this breathtaking program on the ice with a fan that was almost as large as she was--it was really something to see!

flo
06-18-2007, 07:02 AM
I was stage director for shows for the Next Ice Age. Our skaters included Dorothy H, John Curry, Patricia Dobbs (British Champion) and more. Also went to a post event party with the national pro competitors. Skated with Mikey Wiess, Cala and Rocky, Lloyd and Isabel, Jonny W. and Kimmy.

Sk8pdx
06-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Yup, this was in Boston, where you saw people like that sometimes because they trained in the area. But he didn't usually train at our rink - then one day I came in after not skating for a week or so. He was sitting in the changing room chatting with everyone and I walked in and my jaw just dropped. Everyone was kind of smiling and I know everyone was thinking, "Paul Wylie, Paul Wylie." It was cute.

[By the way I saw your coach this weekend and she said you had started maybe skating again - glad to hear about it!].

Hey, I heard Tanith B. Was practicing at my rink a few weeks ago. All the girls were chatting about it when I was there last Saturday. :)

yeah, I have been taking Jump and spin classes to maintain skating. I miss my coach and taking private lessons. We both are going through a very similar tough time in life. I'm just weathering the storms still and taking skating a little slower now. ;)

chowskates
06-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Alexei Yagudin, Alexander Abt, Ilia Klimkin, Victoria Volchkova, pair skaters Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin, and ice dancers Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov, Ilia Averbukh... and a bunch of other Russian skaters who came to Singapore for a performance in March.

Also skated on the same sessions as Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman when I was at Ice House last October.

Got an autograph from Donald Jackson who gave a guest performance at the ISU Adult competition in Oberstdorf last year.

Oh and of course Rhea Schwartz, who gave me some advice on my spin this year! ;)

lovepairs
06-19-2007, 07:23 AM
I was stage director for shows for the Next Ice Age. Our skaters included Dorothy H, John Curry, Patricia Dobbs (British Champion) and more. Also went to a post event party with the national pro competitors. Skated with Mikey Wiess, Cala and Rocky, Lloyd and Isabel, Jonny W. and Kimmy.

Well, let's see........Mikey put our music on for us, we skate with Calla all the time (who gives a f about Rocky,) Lloyd has OUR picture hanging on his wall, Johnny gave us the name of his agent, and Kimmie, well she's nothing but an staple in our extended family!!!! So, there!

The weird thing about this is that it's all! true 8O 8-) :P

littlekateskate
06-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Well, Does Kerry Leitch Count? :) That is about as exciting as it gets for us

sceptique
06-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Speaking about selebrities... Current European Bronze medallist with his fiancee are visiting Jenna's once home rink... and I didn't miss the chance to do my "paparazzi thing".

looplover
06-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, Does Kerry Leitch Count? :) That is about as exciting as it gets for us

It counts! (former Floridian here)

Ladwig and Evora are participating in next Grand Prix - so it really counts!

Team Arthritis
06-19-2007, 11:09 AM
A few years ago I got to meet everyone on the Stars on Ice Tour as my coach used to choreograph and manage them. The only one I actually got to skate with on the same session was Brian Boitano - you know that's one nice guy! Hung around a while and just talked, said "scuze me" every time he turned his back to go into his famous double "Tano" Lutz. He was working on his coatrack routine (Hilarious!) and I got to see it smack him between the legs multiple times 8O 8O

Tara Lapinsky used to skate at our rink - back when she skated. Looked to be all of 14 years old! Her dad was nice and she was really shy but what a big grin when I told her I was looking for someone to teach me Ice Dancing:lol:

Lyle