View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

SkaterMomof4
06-14-2007, 05:20 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a used pair of Riedell HLS boots mounted with pink paramount blades for my 14 year old daughter. The girl who had them wore them for less than a year because she outgrew them. The boots don't appear to have any breakdown and the only sign of wear is in the foam on the tongue from putting on and taking off the boots. The price on the skates is about $425. I know the boots and the blades new will cost me well over $1,000 but I have some concerns.

The owner of the local skating store tried to discourage me from buying them (I'm not buying them from his shop but off of the other mom directly). He says the boot is too advanced for her level and that finding someone to sharpen the blades will be difficult. He doesn't sharpen the paramount blades because he doesn't want to spend the money on updating his sharpening machine to do them and so he doesn't sell them either.

My daughter is skating at about a freestyle 3 or 4 level (she has a private coach plus group lessons where she is about to pass basics badge 8 but can do most of the things required at the lower freestyle levels) She currently spends about 10 or so hours on the ice a week and that will increase now that she is out of school for the summer. She has been skating for about a year and a half. Her foot has stopped growing so I don't have to worry about her outgrowing them. She has been skating in a Riedell Bronze medallion 280 but has complained that they do not have enough ankle support. I just purchased her a pair of Riedell 355's and will be puting a Wilson Cornanation Ace blades on them.

My daughter really really really :roll: wants the pink blades. I just wonder if these skates are too good a deal to pass up at the price.

doubletoe
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
How do they fit her? Do they fit her perfectly, both in the heel and in the front of the foot? If so, that's half the battle right there.
What is her body weight compared to the girl who was using them? If your daughter is the same or heavier, she might be just fine in them. And if she isn't getting enough knee bend, she can always keep the top hook unlaced for awhile.
Having said that, I am not an expert on Reidells, so perhaps someone will be able to comment specifically on that model.
As for the blades, make sure you can find someplace within a reasonable distance that can sharpen Paramount blades; otherwise, don't get them.

LilJen
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Does her coach have any advice? She/he would, presumably, know her skills and potential best, so that might be someone you'd want to ask.

kander
06-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Before even thinking about buying them, see if you can have your daughter skate in them for a week and see how it goes. If she doesn't like it then it becomes a moot point.

In terms of being a good deal, that depends on your alternatives.

chowskates
06-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Before even thinking about buying them, see if you can have your daughter skate in them for a week and see how it goes. If she doesn't like it then it becomes a moot point.

Good point :-)

But Riedell HLS 1500 is definitely too much boot for a freestyle 4 or 5 girl. Personally I'm skating in Riedell Royal 900 and am happy with it and have no intention of getting the HLS... though I might change my mind if I ever get anywhere close to trying the double axel... :roll:

dbny
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Good point :-)

But Riedell HLS 1500 is definitely too much boot for a freestyle 4 or 5 girl. Personally I'm skating in Riedell Royal 900 and am happy with it and have no intention of getting the HLS... though I might change my mind if I ever get anywhere close to trying the double axel... :roll:

I agree. Plus, it's no joke finding someone to sharpen the Paramounts. Additionally, the Paramounts have a rocker of 8 or 9 feet, which can be a big adjustment to make from 7 feet (not sure what blade she is on now, but Cor Ace is 7' as is Majestic).

SkaterMomof4
06-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Thank you for your replies. It has given me more to think about. I'm probably going to have her stick with the Riedell 355's for now. With my daughter its more about the pink blades than it is about the boot that they come with. I can't really justify spending that kind of money just so she can have pink blades, seems kind of silly and I tend to agree that it is way more boot than what she needs. Her coach seems to think that she would do fine in them but she also recommended that I get her pattern 99 blades which I think is also overkill.

What about the lower level paramount blades? I know they sell a set for around $250 that is for lower level skaters. Once again though I don't know if anyone around here can sharpen them.

SkaterMomof4
06-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok, well this is what I pulled off a website selling the lower level paramounts

"The Mid-Level blade is a good choice for those learning to do axels and lower level spins. It is less aggressive then the Advanced and Top-Level blades.This blade is made with an aluminum holder and carbon steel runner. Unlike the Top and Advanced Level Blades, this blade does not utilize Stainless Steel."

If the runner is made of carbon steel instead of the stainless steel, then does this mean that they still need a special machine to sharpen them? Maybe I'll give the place a call tomorrow and see if I can find out.

Clarice
06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
My daughter has Paramount blades, and likes them. They have the same profile as Pattern 99s, which is what she was in previously. Part of the deal with sharpening them is that the aluminum holder requires a different part on the sharpening machine to grip them, as well as a harder wheel to sharpen the stainless steel runner. Carbon steel shouldn't require the harder wheel, but you'd still have to deal with whether the sharpening machine can grip the holder. The gripper is evidently not that hard to get, but many sharpeners don't want to buy it because they don't see enough Paramount blades to make it worth their while. For what it's worth, my daughter got them in the regular silver finish like any other blade - she didn't want to have to worry about the blade color clashing with her dress.