View Full Version : Need split jump advice!

southernsk8er
06-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already; I did a search but couldn't find it. So I tried to do a split jump for the first time last week. I did a mohawk to get on the LBI edge and picked with my right foot. LOL, I'm sure I looked ridiculous. For one thing I'm not getting the height I can get on a flip or lutz. Another thing is that my front leg is higher than my back leg. Yet another thing is I have no idea where my arms should be! Any and all advice and videos welcome!!

doubletoe
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already; I did a search but couldn't find it. So I tried to do a split jump for the first time last week. I did a mohawk to get on the LBI edge and picked with my right foot. LOL, I'm sure I looked ridiculous. For one thing I'm not getting the height I can get on a flip or lutz. Another thing is that my front leg is higher than my back leg. Yet another thing is I have no idea where my arms should be! Any and all advice and videos welcome!!

Use the momentum of the pick-and-pull to help you split. You need to go into this with some speed, bend deeply and reach way back on the pick (keeping your back arched and shoulder blades squeezed together), then pick, pull back and open up the left side of your body to face the direction you're going, all in one fluid motion. As your feet come together after the pick, the left foot just keeps going without stopping, and you turn to the left to face the direction of travel. At this time, both the left arm and left leg will point forward. The right shoulder will be back. Arms will be parallel to legs. As you turn to face forward, stretch your left leg forward like you're jumping over a big puddle, then once you approach the height of the jump, pull both legs up really hard at the same time. That will help you get the back leg up.

southernsk8er
06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Thank you so much - I'm looking forward to trying this again tomorrow :)