View Full Version : Who here is trainning to become a famous skater?

FSWer
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Say,I hope this isn't personal. But I was just wondering who here IS trainning to become a famous skater? Please name your level.

miraclegro
06-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, at 46, it's definitely not me! but i've had fun trying to accomplish all i can before i'm too old to do it, and i think that should be a goal for everyone! Fame is so short-lived, in my opinion. BTW, i am working on adult gold moves (intermediate level-standard track) and in 2 weeks will test my USFS Adult silver freestyle. Not much compared to a lot of folks, but in the skating community, it is fun to rub elbows with those who have achieved much, such as my coach who has been to Olympics himself.

jazzpants
06-14-2007, 01:01 AM
I thought I was already famous... well at least on this board and RSSIR anyway!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Just kiddin' 'ya, FSWer...)

Rusty Blades
06-14-2007, 05:07 AM
A whole bunch of us already are!

Right Raye, singerskates, Jazz, Mrs. Redboots, altamaleskater, (and a whole bunch of others)!

You got a whole bunch of National and International competitors right here. Ok, we're not as famous as the younger people who compete at Worlds and the Olympics but that's only 'cause the TV cameras can't keep up with us .... :mrgreen:

jskater49
06-14-2007, 05:09 AM
I am. :bow: :bow: :bow:

j

Sessy
06-14-2007, 06:41 AM
why, everybody of course!

littlekateskate
06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
That was a good topic. I have felt on here other parents and coaches have hinted negative against parents that push there kids. I am not really pushing my daughter, however I am giving her all the attention she needs to hopefully someday be able to go to nationals.

I look at it that she currently loves it and as long as she does I will give her the recources to put her where she needs to be in the future. She skates in the same builing as two other national team competitors and the junior national champions so we have hopes for our future.

But if she starts to hate the sport i will drop it. But of course I want her to be the best

:)

blue111moon
06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, then. I don't believe that anyone trains to become "famous." Skaters train to become good skaters; the "fame" comes as a by-product.

UDsk8coach
06-14-2007, 09:12 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, then. I don't believe that anyone trains to become "famous." Skaters train to become good skaters; the "fame" comes as a by-product.

I totally agree!!:D

coskater64
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I skate for the love of the sport -----:halo:

jskater49
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM

Um, I think folks were joking. I know I was ;)

j

Skittl1321
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM

But do you really think no one starts skating thinking "if I get good at this, I'll win the olympics and become famous"?

I really do think there are some out there who are doing it to become famous, and they usually don't last- because they don't enjoy it just for what it is.

Me, never gonna be famous for anything.

blue111moon
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I think there are *parents* out there who put little Suzie into skating lessons thinking that she'll be an Olympic Champion someday, but I doubt if many four-year-olds have that goal in mind. They want to have fun.

I do know some people who say they skate so they can wear pretty costumes and have people clap and cheer for them but I doubt if that's the sole reason they get up at 4:0 AM and train in freezing cold rinks for years on end.

jazzpants
06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
But do you really think no one starts skating thinking "if I get good at this, I'll win the olympics and become famous"?
I went into this not thinking that I would ever be good at this and qutting maybe after a couple of years. (8 years... and STILL going strong!!!) Given my age, I think I have a better chance at winning the lottery than becoming an Olympic figure skater!!! :P :lol:

I guess I'm in the minority, then. I don't believe that anyone trains to become "famous." Skaters train to become good skaters; the "fame" comes as a by-product.For the record for me, I'm just being silly. And screw the fame! I just want to be FILTHY RICH!!! 8O :twisted: :P :lol: ;)

chowskates
06-14-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't say I am, but... in a small tropical island, figure skating is such an exotic sport that people tend to take note of it.

Just this evening, I found out that my company actually featured me on its website... ok, I knew they were doing the story, but I thought it was only for our intranet!! :roll: I won't put the link here, but those of you who are curious, google "chow dso" and it is probably the first link.

mdvask8r
06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
. . . And screw the fame! I just want to be FILTHY RICH!!! 8O :twisted: :P :lol: ;)
So I can spend my days skating and training as much as my body can possibly stand! :D :D

Mrs Redboots
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Not when you start in your 40s, you don't!

All the same, me and Husband are our coaches' only international Gold Medallists..... half the time because we didn't have any opposition!

quarkiki2
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
He he he... me famous... he he....

SynchroSk8r114
06-14-2007, 01:25 PM
The only way I want to become "famous" is if I'm known as a great coach. I once read a quote that goes:

"A coach is someone who draws extraordinary performance from ordinary people, someone who over time helps ordinary people become extraordinary..." - Jim Thompson

That's what I want to famous for. Even if I'm not recognized for that, I'll be happy just knowing that I made a difference in one kid's life. That's my coaching motto... :D

Oh, and to comment on Skittl1321's statement "if I get good at this, I'll win the olympics and become famous", I never started skating thinking that I'd make it to the Olympics and I know very few skaters who think this way. Parents, on the other hand...that's a whole different story! Having a realistic view of my own skating weaknesses and strengths is what led me to decide to settle for coaching. Since 8 years old, I've wanted to teach skating. Much of that drive I attribute to the great, supportive coaches I had as a child and to my parents who taught me to have a realistic idea of what this sport can offer me and what would be ultimately (financially) possible to achieve in the long run. I competed up to the regional level and did pretty well, have my Gold in MIF and am now working on wrapping up my Pre-Gold/Gold dances and Intermediate freestyle - and I'm happy. That's all that matters. I want to now instill in young skaters what my coaches instilled in me: discipline, the value of hard work, self-determination, and the ups and downs of skating.

Skittl1321
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I went into this not thinking that I would ever be good at this and qutting maybe after a couple of years. (8 years... and STILL going strong!!!) Given my age, I think I have a better chance at winning the lottery than becoming an Olympic figure skater!!! :P :lol:

I said do you really think NO one- not everyone. I don't think it's a common thought at all. I really believe most people who become famous in the sport didn't know what they were getting into. But I think lots of people start out hoping to become famous and then realize how much work it is!

Not when you start in your 40s, you don't!

The statement was really more about children (or their parents!) who skate, not adults.

blackmanskating
06-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't say that I am trying to be famous, but I am trying to acheive the goals that I set for my skating. I would like to be one of the few who does a triple-combination at Adult Nationals. If fame comes with it, then so be it. Being famous is too stressful. I have one "famous" friend whom I speak to every now and again. There are times that she sounds a bit jaded by the lifestyle. While she has never openly complained about it, she sometimes sounds stressed out.

Now I would love to be independently rich!!!!!!! That way I could skate' 'til I'm blue in the face. I would get the best training out there. I would talk Alexei Yagudin into coaching me. :lol:

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
So I can spend my days skating and training as much as my body can possibly stand! :D :DYup! That's the point!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

TreSk8sAZ
06-14-2007, 02:25 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "famous." I could say I am training to be famous within the adult community. I'd love to win an Adult National title. That might make me famous within that community, but not necessarily with the entire world. Is it the reason I get up every morning to skate, or why I'm anxiously awaiting the point when my physical therapist says I can get back on the ice? No. I'd be happy if I never became famous, just skated and competed as I wished. I can't even say fame is really a motivation, nor is it a motivation for ANY of the kids or their parents at one of my rinks (the other, their goal is to be in the Olympics, not necessarily the fame in and of itself.)

jazzpants
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I said do you really think NO one- not everyone. I don't think it's a common thought at all. I really believe most people who become famous in the sport didn't know what they were getting into. But I think lots of people start out hoping to become famous and then realize how much work it is! Hmmm? It's within the realm of possibility that SOMEONE out there thinks of doing skating to be famous http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/a015.gif ... but I think the majority of people are relatively sane enough to not EXPECT to skate to become famous, KWIM? (If they expect it, I probably would start questioning their SANITY!!! :twisted: :lol: )

As blue111moon said, it's really a BY PRODUCT of being a really good skater. And in at least TWO Olympians skaters I could think of and know, an Olympian does not necessarily mean that you become famous. And I think personally they would be thinking the same thing I'm thinking too: "Screw the fame! I just want the $$$!!!" :twisted:

Sessy
06-14-2007, 03:22 PM
For the record for me, I'm just being silly. And screw the fame! I just want to be FILTHY RICH!!! 8O :twisted: :P :lol: ;)

Haha I'll settle for having enough money to skate all year through. :lol:

blue111moon
06-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Note: The following is posted with tongue planted firmly in cheek and is intended to be humorous

My skating will definitely coast me more money than it will ever earn me. :lol:

How exactly would one "train to be famous"? Stand in front of the mirror daily practicing the Victory Smile and Wave? Have friends pretend to be papparazzi and chase one around taking random photos to post on Internet gossip sites? Make up a series of Questions Most Likely to Be Asked in an Interview and rehearse "spontaneous" answers? Practise signing one's name (spelled correctly, of course) with lightning speed so as not to disappont the legions of fans clamoring for autographs?

kateskate
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Note: The following is posted with tongue planted firmly in cheek and is intended to be humorous

My skating will definitely coast me more money than it will ever earn me. :lol:

How exactly would one "train to be famous"? Stand in front of the mirror daily practicing the Victory Smile and Wave? Have friends pretend to be papparazzi and chase one around taking random photos to post on Internet gossip sites? Make up a series of Questions Most Likely to Be Asked in an Interview and rehearse "spontaneous" answers? Practise signing one's name (spelled correctly, of course) with lightning speed so as not to disappont the legions of fans clamoring for autographs?

Lol! Love it.

And scarily enough, in all seriousness, I went to a skating camp one year where one of the off ice education classes was called 'Dealing with the press and interviews' and we had to pretend to do and interview having won the Olympics and pretend to do one having not skated so well. And we had to give examples of good answers to those questions and how we should speak of our competitors etc.

Very silly. I was the oldest by far - I felt like saying 'Do I look like I need to worry about interviews after winning the Olympics??' (I was 24 at the time and the next oldest was 18 but the majority were 10/11 years old). So it was pointless for us older ones - we were way past it, and irresponsible to fill the little kids' heads with such idea, imo.

One kid at our rink went through a phase of giving out signed pictures of herself. So I guess she was training to be a famous skater!

littlekateskate
06-15-2007, 07:44 AM
I guess I took the question the wrong way. I guess we arent training to be famous.. Just be successful and reach nationals some day. Even those who go to nationals arent famous :)

Skittl1321
06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
And scarily enough, in all seriousness, I went to a skating camp one year where one of the off ice education classes was called 'Dealing with the press and interviews' and we had to pretend to do and interview having won the Olympics and pretend to do one having not skated so well. And we had to give examples of good answers to those questions and how we should speak of our competitors etc.

That is silly for a general camp- but I do HOPE USFSA does something like this for the skaters in their envelope teams and with international assignments. It probably really does help these skaters to practice some high profile interview questions- it must be horrible having to talk to the press after you knew you just blew it. After all, many of the skaters are still young teenagers, and some manage to interview with such composure they have to have practiced! (At the nationals exhibition Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu gave such a poor interview [but an amazing performance!!!] during a "fluff" that I really wondered if it was just trial and error seeing yourself on TV, or if the seniors have some interview coaching.)

jskater49
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Lol! Love it.

Very silly. I was the oldest by far - I felt like saying 'Do I look like I need to worry about interviews after winning the Olympics??' (I was 24 at the time and the next oldest was 18 but the majority were 10/11 years old). So it was pointless for us older ones - we were way past it, and irresponsible to fill the little kids' heads with such idea, imo.

One kid at our rink went through a phase of giving out signed pictures of herself. So I guess she was training to be a famous skater!

I don't know, I think learning to handle yourself in public and dealing with the press is not a bad skill to learn. You never know when you may have to be interviewed. I'm not famous, but I've been misquoted and misused by local press. And if there's a little fantasy involved in pretending to be an Olympian at a skating camp, I see no harm and like I said, learning to speak in public is a skill that can be used in many ways.

j

Thin-Ice
06-15-2007, 08:52 AM
USFS does this kind of "media training" for Novice Skaters at Nationals. It's part of the training process they go through after their events and while the Juniors & Seniors are having practice ice. As someone who works in the media though, I'm not sure they do a terrific job of it though.

I think the standard answers they encourage are: "I am just happy I skated a clean program" and "I didn't have a chance to watch the other skaters. I was focusing on how I was going to skate".:lol:

Raye
06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I am going to be interviewed on our local Cable 10 sometime this summer.... (sigh) my first tv appearance - fame and fortune next?!? 8-) :lol: :roll:

dippytrout27
06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not training to be famous but to be as good as I ever want to be, which at the moment is to master a mohawk. Maybe in the future I'll be training to do a toe loop or lutz or something or even a competition. At the age of 41 I just train to have fun.;)

lovepairs
06-15-2007, 06:27 PM
At Adult Nationals in Chicago this year, Pairsman2 and I, on the spur of the moment, decided that we would create "fame" for ourselves just to see what that might feel like. So, it started as a joke...we printed up about a dozen photos of us (8x10) in the hotal business lounge, went to Office Depot, got a Sharpe, and autographed all the photos. So, that was fun and we were laughing so hard that I was practically p**ing on the floor!

So, we're sitting there with all of these autographed photographs and I'm like "let's go down to the lobby and hand some out to some people and see what that feels like!" So, we get into the elevator, it stops on the next floor and a group of woman and men come in the elevator...so, just to try it out, I tell them that we're here for the Adult National competition and that we're PairSkating "Rock Stars," and I hand one of the guys one of our photographs!

Punch Line: THEY WERE ALL JUDGES!!!!

Okay, when they told us they were all judging the event, then I'm really p**ing in my pants...I thought we were going to die from laughing so hard! I really don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life--I was crying it was so hillarious!

It's fun to create your own fame! Why wait for someone else to do it for you when you can do it for yourself!!! LOL!!! 8-) ;) :P

Rusty Blades
06-15-2007, 07:08 PM

ROFLMAO! That's priceless! I thought sh!# like that only happened to ME!

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2007, 04:07 AM

Oh Andrea, that's too funny!http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/rdudasko/smiley_zzrofl1.gifhttp://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/rdudasko/smiley_zzrofl1.gifhttp://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/rdudasko/smiley_zzrofl1.gif

I hope the judges appreciated it and gave you an extra point when the time came.

lovepairs
06-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Well, let's see...we came in second to last in our event, Championship Pairs...so, either our skating sucked, or we really weren't "Rock Stars" after all...or, probably a little bit of both... 8O

Here's a little secret: I STILL THINK WE'RE ADULT PAIRSKATING ROCK STARS!!! 8-) ;) :D

Raye
06-16-2007, 03:28 PM
And rightly so.... :!: :bow: :bow:

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2007, 04:04 AM
I STILL THINK WE'RE ADULT PAIRSKATING ROCK STARS!!! 8-) ;) :D

Of course you are!