View Full Version : Earphones

russiet
06-13-2007, 05:48 AM
I've been looking for a good pair of sports earphones that are easy to put on & won't fall off.

Through an internet search I found Sennheiser PMX 70. They seem a little more expensive than I was expecting, but it's OK if they really do work well.

Any other reccomendations before I put my money down?

Jon

Jeanne D
06-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I've been looking for a good pair of sports earphones that are easy to put on & won't fall off.

Through an internet search I found Sennheiser PMX 70. They seem a little more expensive than I was expecting, but it's OK if they really do work well.

Any other reccomendations before I put my money down?

Jon

For awhile I was hooked on a pair that was foam based. They are specifically made for air type sports. I found them at Wal-Mart once, the price was around $19.99. They are hard to find though. The actual piece is squishy and forms to your ear. Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer's name. The kits included about 6 ear pieces and they can be cut down to size.

Sessy
06-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah. Just your normal earphones, covered over with a stretch head band - the kind women wear to keep down their hair or a more sportive type, keeps the earphones in like nothing else I know of:
http://www.anhangerschap.nl/shop/images/DSC02758.JPG

Also, earphones with earhooks, and they come pretty cheap too actually.

Morgail
06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Those warm headbands are great in the winter but get really hot in the summer.

Foam earphones sound great. I need to look for those. My iPod earphones tend to fly out of my ears when I spin8O

peanutskates
06-13-2007, 02:51 PM
but... if you wear headphones, aren't you then so much less aware of other skaters around you? I didn't think it was that good to wear earphones when skating...

daisies
06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
but... if you wear headphones, aren't you then so much less aware of other skaters around you? I didn't think it was that good to wear earphones when skating...

ITA. It is soooooooooo dangerous to be wearing earphones while skating. Any time I see someone doing it, I complain to management.

herniated
06-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Many rinks forbid it on thier sessions. I find that when skaters wear them they are very oblivious to others.8O

Emberchyld
06-13-2007, 08:07 PM

I have a pair of phillips in-ear headphones (from $15-$20 depending on where you buy them. Koss has similar headphones for a similar price).

I use them at the gym and have used them to do full-out runthroughs of dance pieces as well. Considering what I put them through, they stay in pretty well.

russiet
06-14-2007, 05:49 AM
ITA. It is soooooooooo dangerous to be wearing earphones while skating. Any time I see someone doing it, I complain to management.

I agree, and during public sessions with any amount of traffic I would feel at risk of a collision if I were to wear earphones or earbuds of any kind.

In my mid-week sessions it's not unusual to either be alone or with only a few others. This is when I would be using my el-cheapo MP3 player (1 GB, bought with free shipping and a manufacturer's rebate bringing it down to $20 USD!!!).

The earbuds that came with it fly out at the least little up & down motion.

These: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX70-Stereo-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B000FJD5IA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2477090-4375929?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181817445&sr=1-1

These aren't full-over-the-ear and look as though they will let-in some ambient sound. The wrap-around also looks like it will hold on the head, even when bouncing around. The kicker is that they will cost me twice as much as the MP3 player they will go with.

I'll look at the Koss & Phillips brands & see what they have.

I was trying to stay away from ear hooks because they look like they'll take up time getting them on & off. I liked the banded approach...it looks much easier to pull them off & let them hang around the neck and then to quickly push them back up into place when wanted. Less fumbling around with gloved hands.

Sessy
06-14-2007, 06:40 AM
I've worn them a lot of times and it wasn't a problem at all, I think the risk of collision was even less probably because I was more carefully looking where I was going (where as usually I don't look and trust my hearing to hear the scraping of the skates of other skaters on the ice). All depends on how hard you put your music to play.
And everybody at our rink is doing it, since only the girls who are competing at nationals can get their music played on the rink's sound system. How else would you practice?!

kateskate
06-14-2007, 07:13 AM
I've worn them a lot of times and it wasn't a problem at all, I think the risk of collision was even less probably because I was more carefully looking where I was going (where as usually I don't look and trust my hearing to hear the scraping of the skates of other skaters on the ice). All depends on how hard you put your music to play.
And everybody at our rink is doing it, since only the girls who are competing at nationals can get their music played on the rink's sound system. How else would you practice?!

Wearing headphones is banned at our rink now. And I think it is right that it is. There have been too many collisions or near collisions at our rink before they officially banned. Not only can you not hear but I think you also lose general awareness around you.

I've been at rinks where people use headphones and skate their programmes and it seems dangerousto me since you can have someone using their music of the main system, and a few others with headphones, all doing programmes. They don't always give way to the correct person.

Jeanne D
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I prefer to skate without the headset but feel a little selfish when I bring my CD player to the rink and force people to listen to my music. I like the rinks that play top 40 stuff, where I don't have to wear my MP3. I also skate on sessions that are very uncrowded.

Mrs Redboots
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah. Just your normal earphones, covered over with a stretch head band - the kind women wear to keep down their hair or a more sportive type, keeps the earphones in like nothing else I know of:
http://www.anhangerschap.nl/shop/images/DSC02758.JPG

Also, earphones with earhooks, and they come pretty cheap too actually.

One skater I know hides her MP3 player in the headband! Works for her....

I do use them, but only in one ear, and also almost always when dancing/skating with the Husband, who is on the qui vive for people crossing our path while also listening to me count!

Morgail
06-14-2007, 10:29 PM

I only wear mine on uncrowded public sessions, and never at club sessions (where I think it's forbidden anyway).

tidesong
06-15-2007, 04:57 AM
I also have had trouble keeping them i my ears when I spin so I usually wear them to listen and mark points on the ice while just stroking around. I agree that earphones can be quite dangerous for concentration and so I try not to wear them, but sometimes there really is no other choice to hear the music and try a program layout because of the really stifling music playing rules at my rink!

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I wear headphones in one ear only....

anyway I wear the cheapo $6 version from walmart. because nothing sounds good at the rink anyhow. Especially in one ear (and in my almost-deaf ear) :lol: