View Full Version : Skating Costume Ideas

flikkitty11
06-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Hey!!
Im looking for ideas for my new short program costume.
My music is Memory from the musical cats (without lyrics)
At the moment my only ides for a costume are:
1. NOT Blue (cos my free skate costume is blue)
2. NOT a cat costume cos its not for artistic/fun skate competition

Thanks in advance for any ideas

- Flik

lillia
06-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I think a white dress would be nice.
With some kind of decorations, like stones or paljetts ( i donno what you call those in english)
And if not white i think a deep purple colour, maybe velvet?
That could be really nice.
The model of the dress is hard to tell. You just have to look at yourself and find out what fits your bodytype best:)
Good luck!!

AW1
06-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Hi Flik,

I am not a fan of white costumes, as I personally think they don't have any ice presence (you'd probably have guessed I'm a colours person by Lil's costumes!).

If it were me, I would go for something like black with white accents - that way it's sort of tying into the "moonlight" aspect from the song, and the visuals from Cats the musical (their posters etc were all black with white writing). I would think it would need to be flowy, with a semi sheer or sheer skirt.

Good luck with finding a design you like!

SynchroSk8r114
06-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Yeah, skip the white because it's too hard to see on the ice and doesn't show off your lines nicely. I like the suggestion of the black with white accents though. If you want to go with the whole moonlight thing, try adding some rhinestones or crystals to the dress, scattered throughout perhaps.

This may sound really far-fetched, but...if you have time, log onto synchroboards.com. There's a whole section of artwork where skaters design dresses and there's some amazing ideas that come out of it! Here's how, if you're interested:
- synchroboards.com (you'll need to get a username and log in)
- scroll down the page until you get to the 'Everything Else' section
- click on 'Skating Fluff'
- click on first box ('Skating Artwork')
- click on topic 'Synchro's Artwork - the 3-quel'

There you can post a request for someone to design you a dress or you can browse the hundreds and hundreds of dresses already created. Just post what you posted here. This is one of my favorite forums, and it could be very helpful to you in giving you some ideas...good luck!

jskater49
06-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Pick something elegant that makes you look and feel beautiful.

And my daughter has worn white and looked quite lovely but they had other colors as an accent - her current short program dress is white with gold beading.

j

Raye
06-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I skated to 'Memory' (with lyrics) in a cat costume as an artistic piece for a couple of years. I have since reprised the program (still with lyrics) as an interpretive and my dress is black velvet with midnight blue sparkles and a three layer chiffon skirt with light-blue on the bottom layer, a kind of turquoise for the middle layer and the top layer in an irridescent midnight blue. It has a very elegant 'cameo' style neckline and long sleeves. I recieved a lot of compliments on it at Canadian Adult Nationals.

I agree with AW1 and SynchroSk8ter114 that this would also work well in black velvet with silver sparkles and perhaps a white chiffon skirt overlaid with a black chiffon skirt. It is an awesome piece of music to skate to - I love it and I hope you get as much joy from the piece as I have over the past three years!!!!

Sessy
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
How about a leotard instead of a dress? Something like Irina slutskaya wore, except in dark green maybe?

http://www.raisport.rai.it/RaiSport/pub/static/2006/2/20060221_patt_art_RUS_Slutskaya.jpg
http://www.michaelcollinsenterprises.com/media/photos/irina1.jpg

Or something with fishnet arms, like this
http://www.championsonice.com/images/skaterimages/biomain_slutskaya.jpg
http://www.photosonice.com/images/Slutskaya%2001WO-709M-34web.jpg

SynchroSk8r114
06-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Maybe it' just me, but I've never cared for a single dress Slutskaya has ever worn, as well as the bodysuits. Don't get me wrong, she's a good skater and all. I just don't like the way that the full-bodysuit looks on women - too manly, IMO. Dresses are much more elegant and their flowing skirts show speed, flow, grace, etc. But then again, that's just my opinion...:halo:

Sessy
06-13-2007, 08:19 AM
It's okay, I've never seen a skating dress I've liked (including those I made myself). Now as for body suits however - that's nice. :bow:

jskater49
06-13-2007, 08:22 AM
I think Slutskaya looks great in pants. But not many women can carry off a unitard. And fewer women have the body confidence to skate in public in one without feeling self-conscience.

j

Sessy
06-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I feel self-conscious in a skirt, constantly afraid my panties might show... :lol: But at our club such a lot of girls skate in leggins or pants and only the kids skate in dresses, I guess that's why.

southernsk8er
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree with the black dress with white accents idea! One of the most elegant costumes I've seen around here was black with a little bit of white, flowy skirt, and a lot of Crystal-color swarovski crystals. Good luck with your program!

Skittl1321
06-14-2007, 09:56 AM
I think Slutskaya looks great in pants. But not many women can carry off a unitard. And fewer women have the body confidence to skate in public in one without feeling self-conscience.

j

I agree she looks great in the unitard. I think Bebe Liang looks great in a unitard. She looks awesome in the dresses she picks out, but since she is such an athletic skater she can really pull off the unitard look.

I have no suggestions for a skating costume, but my sympathies in trying to find one. I am looking for a long sleeved practice dress (simple!) with a slightly longer cut skirt- and I've found that once you aren't a tiny tot long sleeved dresses are hard to come by! I think that black would be very good, but if you like color- what about one of the dresses made by watercolours (look at discount dance, them have some) when I think of this song, I think of flowing...

I feel self-conscious in a skirt, constantly afraid my panties might show...
hehe.. I grew up in the dance world- no underwear allowed! We were actually fined $5 on my dance team if an officer or the director caught you wearing them, even during practice- and even if it was only because they saw the line and not the actual fabric.

quarkiki2
06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Jessi -- me, too, about the underwear thing, LOL! That's why I wear double tights under my synchro dresses -- one full-footed, one over-the-boot for the team.

We had a young one just about ready to get competitive at the rink and she was out there in a dress with undies peeking out... I saw here and was standing near another coach and said "Uh-oh... Time for the undies talk..."