View Full Version : spinning in guards

peanutskates
06-10-2007, 01:17 PM
just wondering how good an idea it would be to spin on a smooth surface (kitchen floor) in those 2-piece guards on your skates. seeing as I now have both available.

any advice? thanks

Sessy
06-10-2007, 02:13 PM
No, because the springs in the guards get loose and your guards start slipping off as you walk in them.
Oh yeah and ouchie factor.

Just get a spin trainer. They're not that expensive.

Mercedeslove
06-10-2007, 04:31 PM
No, because the springs in the guards get loose and your guards start slipping off as you walk in them.
Oh yeah and ouchie factor.

to some people the might be.

Award
06-10-2007, 05:08 PM
just wondering how good an idea it would be to spin on a smooth surface (kitchen floor) in those 2-piece guards on your skates. seeing as I now have both available. any advice? thanks

I *seriously* do NOT recommend using skate guards of any kind for practising spinning or any other skating exercises. Also, skate guards can actually detach when you're not expecting them to. And if that occurs, both you and your skates (like the blades), and the floor could be in a lot of trouble. That is, the blades can ruin the floor, and the floor and ruin the blades, and floor could probably injure you too.

jazzpants
06-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Trust me peanutskate! It won't do you any good to spin on any surface other than on ice.... Spinning is just this totally different thing and I don't advocate spinning on guards nor the spin trainers disc thingies!!! Best to try to practice spinning on ice over and over again. It's a totally different feel and mindset for me spinning on floor vs. ice.

Bill_S
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Sessy:

Then posted by Mercedes:
to some people they might be.

Make your own spinner. I've made one, but like others, I didn't find it that much help on forward spins. Someone mentioned that they improved their backspins substantially using one. It's one of those things where your mileage may vary.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/spinner-w-foot_sml.jpg

Here's a link to more photos and construction comments. The page also has a link to a supplier of the turntable bearing if your local hardware store doesn't have one:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/homemade_spinner.html

Sessy
06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
to some people the might be.

If you ruin 3 pair of skate guards, you've got a spinning trainer nearly paid already. At least here, and I had to import mine from Austria because they're not sold anywhere in my country. Unless skate guards are substantially cheaper where you live, I can't imagine that'd be any different. Some lucky girls I know got spinning trainers for the cost of 1 pair of skate guards.

And if you start comparing the cost of a spinning trainer to ice time - come on, the thing's a bargain.

Also I did notice quite a difference for my forward spins. Just the fact that I wasn't growing dizzy after 1 spin already helped tons.

SynchroSk8r114
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Uh, yes...like everyone's saying: Don't do it! You do spin differently off-ice than on (regarding not being on that sweet spot of your blade) and the damage done to your blade by chance your guard comes off - even if you're only on your kitchen floor - could be irreversible.

Like others have said, consider a spinner: (http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm?id=20EB5563-475A-BAC0-5729E5C623BF8A3C). From rainbosports.com, they run as low as $24.95, but can cost as much as $49.95. I've never used the cheaper one, but I've had plenty of experience in off-ice classes using the $39.95 spinner. Just an idea...