View Full Version : Ultima Mark IV blades

peanutskates
06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I bought some Risport RF4 boots recently, and they came with an Ultima Mark IV blade. I was going to get Coronation Ace, but are these blades much different from each other?
Am currently learning single jumps and upright spins. Will probably start variation spins in autumn. So, what would you recommend?

Thanks

fdlsk8r
06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I would stick with the Coronation blades...much better quality blade over the Mark 1V - The next level up from the Mark IV - I think the Mirage, would be okay though.

singerskates
06-12-2007, 12:49 AM
You're learning spins and jumps? I would not get the Coronation Ace. I'd get the Coronation Comet. It's a flatter blade and much more stable for jump landings. And once you can spin on the Coments switching to a Pattern 99 or MK Professional or a Ultima Elite Blade, the last three with simuliar profiles, will be easy. Make sure not to go back and forth from a rounder profile to a flatter profile and back and forth. Find out now, which you prefer by trying out both first. Try the Ace and try the Comet at a public skate by renting a pair with Aces on them and then rent a pair with Comets on them. Which ever you type you like best, go with it.

Some people love rounded profiles and others like me, like a flatter profile.

Skittl1321
06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Wow singerskates- does your rink really rent skates with actual blades on them? The only thing available at ours is standard dull butter knife.

Peanutskates- My coach doesn't think much of the Mark IV, but it seems like unless you are progressing really fast the coronation ace is a pretty expensive blade for just learning spins and jumps. I have the Ultima Mirage and love it. It's been great for my turning (coming from a unknown recreation skate blade) and the pick is a good size for jumping. I thought about buying Protege's or Coronation Ace's but both seemed so expensive, and it turns out this is working quite well.

SynchroSk8r114
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
When I first began skating, I started out with Cornation Ace blades and learned all of my singles in them. Evenutally, I moved up the Cornation Comet blades and have been in them ever since. I love them and I'm working on doubles with them, so I've had no problems with them. :)

dbny
06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Wow singerskates- does your rink really rent skates with actual blades on them? The only thing available at ours is standard dull butter knife.

ITA 8O. I don't know of one rink that puts $200 figure blades on their rentals. What kind of boots do they rent?

Peanutskates- My coach doesn't think much of the Mark IV, but it seems like unless you are progressing really fast the coronation ace is a pretty expensive blade for just learning spins and jumps. I have the Ultima Mirage and love it. It's been great for my turning (coming from a unknown recreation skate blade) and the pick is a good size for jumping. I thought about buying Protege's or Coronation Ace's but both seemed so expensive, and it turns out this is working quite well.

Exactly. Truth be told, you can learn basic spins and single jumps in recreational blades cheaper than the Mark IV. The one big advantage to buying a better quality blade now, is that it will last longer, as it is made of better quality steel. Of course, you also want to be very careful about who sharpens them, as one bad sharpening can ruin any figure blade.

Re the Comets, they are flatter than even Pattern 99 and Gold Seals. I tried a pair that I got used, and felt like I had boats on my feet. Comets, IMO, are not for beginning freestyle skaters.

Mrs Redboots
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Exactly. Truth be told, you can learn basic spins and single jumps in recreational blades cheaper than the Mark IV. The one big advantage to buying a better quality blade now, is that it will last longer, as it is made of better quality steel. Of course, you also want to be very careful about who sharpens them, as one bad sharpening can ruin any figure blade.

When I was a beginner, I skated in the basic blades that came with my boot for about six months, then upgraded to Coronation Ace - and I wished I'd done it three months earlier, since everything was so much easier in those blades.

Certainly, given Peanutskates' current level of skating, I would have thought Aces would be appropriate for her.

But there are so many new blades on the market these days....

singerskates
06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
ITA 8O. I don't know of one rink that puts $200 figure blades on their rentals. What kind of boots do they rent?

Re the Comets, they are flatter than even Pattern 99 and Gold Seals. I tried a pair that I got used, and felt like I had boats on my feet. Comets, IMO, are not for beginning freestyle skaters.

When I was on one of my vacations in the US and this training center actually did have real blades with real edges on their rentals. They are few and far in between though.

Another idea is to see if any of your skating pals have the same size feet as you with either the Comets or the Aces to see which kind of blade you prefer.

Good Luck.

peanutskates
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
dbny - I just got the Ultima's with my boots, so I didn't consider blade prices or anything cheaper etc. I just got them by default.

if everything goes ok and "to plan", I might compete at the end of September. would it be easier to come back from summer holidays and get new blades and start practicing on new blades, or wait until after the comp. and then switch blades?

thanks for everything so far.

WannabeS8r
06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Peanutskates-

I have the Ultima Mark IV blade, too, with Jackson Freestyles. Except right now I am working on my axel and later on doubles in the summer. My coach had personally told me that the blade is okay for my level, but judging by what people have previously said on this forum I am not so sure. I think Mark IV is fine for you, since I am okay with it (so far).

mshka1967
02-22-2009, 05:41 PM
I am quite an experienced skater and coach. I think the mark IV blade is an excellent blade. I have done double jumps (not the lutz, as I didnt try) the mark 4 blade and it is a good spinning blade. If you are going to be picky, then the quality of steel is not as good as John Wilson or Mk Blades. But I love it, it it smooth and fast and stable. I have a Mark IV on my coach boots. Regularly I skate in pattern 99, one of the best blades you can buy. However I recommend Mark 5 above the excel and PSA blade for kids doing singles. The other blade I really love for a medium level blade as a coronation ace/coronation comet equiv. is the ultima protege. It is around $140 and my kids really love it and are doing axels in it and beginning doubles. I have not tried it myself though). One of my kids tried out a coronation ace after skating in the protege (bigger pick) and hated it so went straight back to the protege. I do not have elite level skaters at this stage so I can only recommend higher blades by what I have used - phantom, pattern, 99, vantage.
I did not like coronation comet, very flat, less grip on edge jumps. I did skate myself in coronation ace and Mk professional when I was younger, and did quite like gold star as an advanced skater if you like a smaller pick. However, I always put my kids in the protege, and then I am quite sold on the pattern 99/vision/vantage/phantom type blades.

ibreakhearts66
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Mark IV blades really aren't that bad. I landed axel, double sal and double toe in them, and did all of my forward and back spins plus flying camel. Yes, Coronation Aces are better, but if your boots came with Mark IVs, I don't think there is a need to shell out another 200 dollars for different blades. At your level, I personally think the Mark IVs are just fine.

fsk8r
02-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Mark IV blades really aren't that bad. I landed axel, double sal and double toe in them, and did all of my forward and back spins plus flying camel. Yes, Coronation Aces are better, but if your boots came with Mark IVs, I don't think there is a need to shell out another 200 dollars for different blades. At your level, I personally think the Mark IVs are just fine.

I agree with this. My other thought is are your feet still growing? If you're going to end up buying a new pair of boots soon anyway you've got another opportunity to change blades then. Otherwise I'd stick to them until your coach tells you that you need something better. I've seen too many skaters jumping up into top level blades and then wondering why they can't skate. Just because the Olympians are wearing them doesn't mean that when you're still learning the singles and doubles you should be. The blades won't suddenly make you a better skater (however much we'd all wish).

Skate@Delaware
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah! I was thinking the same thing!

I started out with the Mirage that came with my original Jackson's (package deal), then upgraded to Comets....they were ok but I never really felt they suited me. I switched to Aces, and although it took a little bit of time to feel secure on jump landings because of the rocker, they seem to suit me better.

What some students do is learn on Comets, then switch later. You have to learn dead-on technique for spinning which is a nice thing; jump landings are very secure and solid.

You don't want to rush into making a decision, take your time, see if you can try them out first before you decide.

renatele
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Isn't this thread just a tad old..?

I am quite an experienced skater and coach. I think the mark IV blade is an excellent blade.

(snip)

peanutskates
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM
yup, was just wondering myself! I saw the thread, was going to answer it now I know about this... and was surprised to see it was posted by me! lol