View Full Version : After Freestyle....what type of skater would you most want to become?

FSWer
06-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Say,I don't think we've ever talked about this. But after freestyle...what type of skater would you mostly want to graduate to become?

Skittl1321
06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Gosh, Freestyle is where I hope to graduate to!
I'm getting close to becoming a beginner level freestyle skater!
Since I've got a few jumps down I think I'm out of basic skills.

When I was little I wanted to skate on the precision team so badly- but I had only taken Basic 1, and my Mom wasn't able to take me to the rink to do other lessons- so no skating. Now I hope to join the adult synchro team at my rink.

If I were going to the olympics- I'd want to be a singles skater, but if I couldn't be because of the parameters set by the poll, I'd want to do pairs.

Unfortunately, ice dance doesn't appeal to me.

techskater
06-10-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't consider anything a "graduation" from FS. It's what I enjoy and want to do.

icedancer2
06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, I've gone from freestyle to ice dance... now I just want to be a good TECHNICAL skater!!!:)

jazzpants
06-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Ummmm, Dana :oops: ....Pairs, Ice Dance and Synchronized skating is not something you "graduate" from Freestyle to! 8O

It's a totally different discipline! For as long as I can spin jump and do footwork, I will be in Freestyle! I have no motivation to go into pair skating of any kind b/c there's just not enough guys out there that I'm willing to work with and don't have enough time as is to dedicate to my own skating. Also, I'm 133lbs right now and 5'3"... not that big, but for a pair or ice dancing guy, 133 is too heavy!!! I practically have to be anorexic before they would consider taking me as a partner!!! :roll: :P

Now if there's BIG STRONG HUNKY HANDSOME skating guy who wants to skate with me and CAN lift me and lives in my neck of the woods (I'm in Northern California), I CAN be persuaded to change my mind. :twisted:

I can't do synch b/c I jump and spin the other way...

Now if I can no longer jump b/c of my lower back, I will go into ice dancing but I will go as a solo dance person.... or do interp.

Mrs Redboots
06-11-2007, 04:28 AM
I have never been a free skater - always and only an ice dancer!

Husband started as a free skater, then moved over to dance, and now does both disciplines. And we do just enough pairs to enable us to do very silly routines together.

airyfairy76
06-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, I've been doing the Skate UK course and will be moving onto private coaching probably in the next six weeks, and I have to say that currently I am veering more towards doing ice dance, rather than freestyle.

I would like to do a few freestyle spins and jumps, but coming from a classical ballet background, ice dance has more of a pull for me personally, especially if it comes to competing later on. Bring on the preliminary foxtrot and canasta tango!

If only I could get over my fear of backwards crossovers :lol:

Mel On Ice
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I was already a synchro skater, so I'd want to be a pairs skater.

Rusty Blades
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with those who said you don't "graduate" from freestyle. Freestyle is about the most demanding and difficult discipline in which one can "be recognized" - the competition is hot and heavy in freestyle/singles.

When/if I hit my physical limitation I may "retire" from freestyle and go to Skills (Canadian version of MITF) and/or return to Interpretive but since there are Singles in their 70's who are doing well, I still have time to break into freestyle before I have to think about "turning it down a notch"!

Did some pairs as a teenager and I would NEVER want to be that far above the ice again 8O But, as Jazz said, the chance of finding a Pairs partner is slim ('cause I am not- LOL!) My partner in my teens was the biggest strongest man I had ever seen on skates (and a good skater to) but I gave it up when he retired from skating. Maybe if Arnold (the governator!) takes up skating, I might consider it - LOL!

black
06-11-2007, 02:21 PM
I like freestyle - if you can call my skating that!! 8O

There is very little/if any dance at our rink and no synchronized either so it is not something I have really considered; having said that I have recently done a couple of speed skating sessions which I have really enjoyed, but for which I have to travel miles for.

blackmanskating
06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
The only way I'll ever quit freestyle is if I injure myself to the point that I can no longer jump. I'll probably stop skating altogether because jumping is my favorite and strongest aspect of skating. I like to spin too. It is very tough to find a dedicated and talented partner for any pairs or ice dancing so I would probably just stick to recreational skating if I couldn't jump anymore. But you got guys like Boitano who are still jumping well past their 40's and I met a 56 year old adult skater who can do a double axel and who models his spins after Stephane Lambiel. :bow: He's incredible and I'm going to be just like him when I get to that age. (if not, better)

BlackManSkating

Jeanne D
06-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Say,I don't think we've ever talked about this. But after freestyle...what type of skater would you mostly want to graduate to become?

Are moves in the field considered freestyle? I'd like to become a proficient MITF skater. I probably will always spin but jumps are starting to lose their appeal.

icedancer2
06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Hmmm - I'm wondering what FSWer might have meant with this question - do you mean, "After you're done doing freestyle, what other discipline would you like to do?" or maybe, "In addition to freestyle, what other discipline would you like to do?" - maybe FSWer could clarify.

Believe it or not, I've even had a hankering to do a little freestyle lately - well, at least maybe some spins... but I would have to get a different set of blades as there is no WAY I can spin in these dance blades!!!!

Raye
06-12-2007, 04:47 PM
I already do all of the above - along with freeskate, interpretive and figures. I do similar pairs right now, but like Dianne, I would definately skate with the governator lol

Mrs Redboots
06-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Believe it or not, I've even had a hankering to do a little freestyle lately - well, at least maybe some spins... but I would have to get a different set of blades as there is no WAY I can spin in these dance blades!!!!Ummm - you ought to be able to; after all, spins are a required element in free dance! I hate spinning, but Husband and I have a very respectable couples' spin, which we could even make a changefoot if we were sure that wouldn't be marked down at our level (the rules say: "At least two revolutions on one foot by each partner", and we are not sure whether two or more revolutions on _each_ foot would get us marked down).

Morgail
06-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't think I'll ever give up Freestyle unless I have a major injury, but if I had to then I'd do dance. I've done some solo dance, and I'm not great at it, but I love it! I love all the drama and expression that goes into dance and the preciseness of the skating.

icedancer2
06-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Ummm - you ought to be able to; after all, spins are a required element in free dance! I hate spinning, but Husband and I have a very respectable couples' spin, which we could even make a changefoot if we were sure that wouldn't be marked down at our level (the rules say: "At least two revolutions on one foot by each partner", and we are not sure whether two or more revolutions on _each_ foot would get us marked down).

Yes, I know I ought to be able to, but I can't - I have those blessed MK Dance blades and that rounded toe-pick on the bottom pick makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to spin at all - I don't know how the elites do it. I know I could spin if I had a more normal blade...

A dance spin is a little different because your "spining circle" has a larger circumference, plus you are holding onto someone - not that it would be easy, exactly, but I could probably learn one of those in my present blades.

herniated
06-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I would stop doing freestyle if I suffered an injury that jumping would make worse. ( someone else said that too) But I would continue with showcase/interp programs and/or dance. I hope I never have to stop completely.

southernsk8er
06-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Also, I'm 133lbs right now and 5'3"... not that big, but for a pair or ice dancing guy, 133 is too heavy!!! I practically have to be anorexic before they would consider taking me as a partner!!! :roll: :P

Now if there's BIG STRONG HUNKY HANDSOME skating guy who wants to skate with me and CAN lift me and lives in my neck of the woods (I'm in Northern California), I CAN be persuaded to change my mind. :twisted:

LOL! I'm 5'11" - any 7' guys out there who would have me as a partner? 8O Pairs is awesome!

Virtualsk8r
06-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes, I know I ought to be able to, but I can't - I have those blessed MK Dance blades and that rounded toe-pick on the bottom pick makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to spin at all - I don't know how the elites do it. I know I could spin if I had a more normal blade...

A dance spin is a little different because your "spining circle" has a larger circumference, plus you are holding onto someone - not that it would be easy, exactly, but I could probably learn one of those in my present blades.

I have had 3 pairs of MK Dance blades and can spin in them almost as well as in my freeskate blades. Jumping is another matter -- although I know dance guys who did double axels in them on a dare!

I find it easier to spin on the dance blades since it has been years since I wore freeskate blades. I think it just takes some getting used to so don't give up!

Good luck!