View Full Version : Determining Model year of Riedell bots

SkaterMomof4
06-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Hello! Does anyone know how to determine the year a Riedell skate boot was made? I've found a 2002 Riedell 355, brand new, for sale on clearance from an online skate shop in the size and width I need. I just want to make sure that the picture that is on the website is actually what I am buying. I was going to compare it to a similar boot I have, but I'm not sure of the year of the boot I've got. :roll:

Does anyone know if the ankle support is good and strong for boots made in the early 2000's? I have a Riedell bronze star made in 1995 (my first skates) and the ankle support is almost non-existent compared to my new ones and the ones made in 95' aren't broken down at all (just the way they were made I guess)

Thanks!

dbny
06-10-2007, 12:34 AM
I know that by 2002, the Riedell Silver Star (355) boot gave significant ankle support. I'm not sure when Riedell switched the paddin from the heat sensitive gel to a harder, stronger material, and think it might be after 2002. I think a more significant issue is that Riedell also changed their sizing at some point (again, sorry, I don't remember exactly when). The boots with the gel padding generally ran two sizes smaller than shoe size, but after they upgraded the strength with the new padding, the difference was reduced to only one size.

Can you call the shop and verify the padding and sizing? The lining in the boots with the gel padding is gray and should yeild with the feeling of very firm putty when pressed with a thumb on the inside of the ankle. The indentation should persist for a while. I personally really loved that boot. The gel conforms to your foot as it warms.

SkaterMomof4
06-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Here is a picture of the boot from the website. The inside does look grey. My boots(bronze star 320) bought in 1995 are the same size as my newer ones bought a couple of years ago. Hoping it will be the same here too. Will really stink if the size is off because the boots are non-returnable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/echobunny89/skates/yhst-18473158436285_1954_14332641.jpg

newskaker5
06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I dont know if this will help you - but I bought Reidells last year - so 2006- and the inside is still gray in color, it just isnt a gel