View Full Version : Medical Test Came Back

singerskates
09-19-2002, 06:38 PM
I went for an ultrasound last week and my doctor called me this week while I was at work. I tried to call back but by the time I called they had left for the day. Anyway, today I was done work early enough to call. Found out that the pain I was having in my right AB side really is something. They found it on the ultrasound. They say it is on my right ovary. Sunni my coach said today at skating that, it probably is just an infection. I hope that is the case. I'm hoping for the best.

Yeah, even this kind of news isn't going to keep me down. I have a gynecologist appointment for Oct. 1st next month. At this point it's lets keep on skating and try to forget about any pain at all.

Brigitte a.k.a. singerskates

Hannahclear
09-19-2002, 06:42 PM
I hope you're OK--sending good vibes your way. God Bless.

It's probably nothing, could just be a cyst or infection in your ovary. If you're youngish, this is pretty common. Alot more common than anything serious. Don't worry, it'll be OK. Take Care.

pattern99
09-19-2002, 10:08 PM
my thoughts and prayers are with you. Go out and use skating as an outlet to forget about the pain. Hope for the best, I'm sure you'll be just fine!!
*patt99*

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2002, 10:27 AM
I'm glad they've found something - at least, now they have found it, they can do something about it. Try not to fret too much (easier said than done); it probably is only something very minor.

:Hugs: (That nice smiley site seems to have vanished, and I'm not sure where Lynne gets hers from).

dbny
09-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Reading your post, I have just now remembered having a similar problem in my 20's that turned out to be an infection and easily treated. I do hope yours turns out to be as simple.

wannask8
09-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Ooh, not fun. Even if you can’t help worrying, do try to focus more on other things to keep it off your mind (singing? skating?). I went through a similar test-then-wait thing over the summer – it was a loooong time before I got The Word that everything was okay. Hang in there.

-- wannask8

skootz
09-20-2002, 05:36 PM
Hoping for the best for you :)

Moto Guzzi
09-20-2002, 11:56 PM
It's probably nothing serious so try not to worry too much. I'm sorry you are going through this and hope everything will turn out fine for you. Best wishes to you.

TashaKat
09-21-2002, 03:47 AM
((((All the best :) Hope everything is sorted out for you very soon x))))

L x

alfongsucks
09-22-2002, 03:14 PM
statistically this is probably a simple ovarian cyst . You will get these from time to time, they will reputure, but they are not dangerous. They may regress spontaneously too. It does not seem likely that you would have an infection........these can be quite dangerous, and you would probably be in so much pain you would not be able to even be on the computer. Plus since they are so dangerous, the Doctor would not put off your appointment.....................they would have you in their office and on antibiotics immediately. Hope this helps

singerskates
09-28-2002, 12:10 PM
This coming Tuesday I see my OB-GYN about what is on my ovary. According to my coach the best possible out come will be that it is just an infection. After the things I've heard about women dying from hysterectomies, I'm getting really nervous.

Thursday, my coach forced me to do ice dance partly because I seem to be getting weaker and partly because my Achilles tendon is having another bout of tendonitis again. This past Monday I was in mid jump on a toe loop in the air when my tendon popped/or gave me stabbing pain. After that I couldn't jump. Tuesday, I stayed home from skating because my foot and ankle hurt too much and I'm one who skates no matter what. So when I got there my coach had me do only stroking and ice dance. I did sneak in a few waltz jumps but for the most part they stunk big time. Practically no air time and the flow on the exit was terrible. I couldn't hold a constant outside edge on the landing. As soon as I felt pain, I'd waver to an inside edge and then back to the outside edge. At the very end of the session, I did manage two half decent waltz jumps in the air but the exit edge still was struggling because of pain. I don't skate again until Sunday. I have been resting my Achilles tendon and it has slowly been getting better. Although I wish I could find my ankle brace. Haven't seen it since the beginning of skating when I took it off at the rink. I'm coming to realize that my spirals are going to suffer until I get my AB pain treated or fixed. Please pray that all I need is some mega anti-biotics and that the whole thing goes away.

Elsy2
09-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Singerskates.....I wouldn't worry prematurely about a hysterectomy. I had a huge endometrial ovarian cyst removed using a laproscope. It was outpatient surgery and I was home by noon...not a bad procedure at all. I would guess most ovarian problems could be resolved without hysterectomy......In fact I became pregnant two months later. I'm sure your stressed about the whole thing, but hang in there until you know what's going on.

wannask8
09-29-2002, 07:13 PM
. . . And another positive story: one of my grad school roomies had an ovarian cyst that, by the time she got to a doctor and had it diagnosed, had become quite large – she did the outpatient thing as well and now has kids of her own.

-- wannask8

garyc254
09-29-2002, 09:37 PM
Good wishes and a prayer coming your way.

Keep the faith!!!

JDC1
09-30-2002, 08:06 AM
Singerskates, both my ovaries are covered in cysts but they are really small and thankfully none have ever popped. I have a feeling I know the pain you are getting, I get it in small doses and it's hard to handle. Don't go for anything too drastic and if it seems too scary get a second opinion! So far I my ovaries are healthy so they don't have to come out but when I went in for the exploratory surgery I had to sign a waiver saying they could do whatever was medically necessary...it's pretty scary so I know how you feel. Just talk to people and pray and ask your doctor lots of questions.

Best wishes.

singerskates
10-01-2002, 02:32 PM
I only have tonight and Thursday to skate and then I"m going into the
hospital for surgery on my ovary on Friday, October 4th, 2002. Saw my
OB doc today and he ruled out that it was not an infection. He said I
could either wait and go through all the tests again to see if it
would clear up or do the surgery right now. I picked right now for
the surgery. Firstly, I have been in pain for over a year but since
the summer it has been getting increasingly worse and my skating has
been suffering for it. I use to be able to do nice hig spirals and
presently because of the pain, I can barely if I'm lucky get my leg
to make it to hip level. I also think it's the reason that I have
just recently lost my toe loop and why I can get a complete rotation
on my loop, flip or lutz jumps. I know techinically what to do in my
head but my body is freezing on me. I know that I'll be off of the
ice for at least 2 weeks at minimum and at most 6 weeks. So tonight
and Thursday, I'm going to skate like there is no tomorrow. I'm going
for everything no matter how much it hurts or how much my body
refuses.

By the way, there's no way I can do any competitions until after
January 1st, 2003. My body just won't be ready in time. So the
Buckeye Competition is out. LOL I didn't enter anyway. I'm never
ready this early in the game.

Please pray for my family and me as I go through this hard time.
Thanks.

Guess who will be online a bit more after surgery and getting home
from the hospital?

Brigitte, a.k.a. singerskates

PS: Didn't jump much yesteray at the rink but I did mess up my US interpretive freeskate twice. LOL Anytime on the ice no matter how bad, I'm taking it all in and injoying it for what it is. Fun. I was in pain all day at work yesterday and at skating but so what, skate through it while I still can skate. I worked on a new footwork section I think I want to include in either my reg. freeskate, my US interpretive or my Canadian interpretive freeskate. Not sure where I'm going to toss it in. ROTFLOL Kind of trivial at the moment but it does keep my mind off of things. Anyway, this is how the new footwork sequence goes. RFI op Mo onto left inside edge change to left outside edge, LBO3 to LFI to LFI op Mo to RBI then step to LBO then step to RFI, then RFI op Mo and repeat and last time from RFI op Mo do salchow.

I went over this over and over. Getting closer on those LFI op Mohawks.

Question: what is it called when you go from a LBO edge to a RFI edge. What move is that? I can do the move but I'm clueless as to what it is.

mikawendy
10-01-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by singerskates
Question: what is it called when you go from a LBO edge to a RFI edge. What move is that? I can do the move but I'm clueless as to what it is.

Is that a choctaw, maybe? I think a choctaw changes feet, edge, and direction, which I think is what you've described? (or maybe there's no change of "direction" because even though you go from back to forward edge, you're still travelling the same way??) If there's no name for it we should name it after you--the Brigitte..

I'll be sending healing thoughts your way. I hope your surgery goes well and enjoy your last skate sessions before then... :D

garyc254
10-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Sending more prayers and good vibes to you and your family.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery!!!

Don't worry, the ice will be waiting for you.:D

melanieuk
10-01-2002, 03:14 PM
I'll be here post surgery! ;)

The skating gods are with you. :)

jenlyon60
10-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
Is that a choctaw, maybe? I think a choctaw changes feet, edge, and direction, which I think is what you've described? (or maybe there's no change of "direction" because even though you go from back to forward edge, you're still travelling the same way??) If there's no name for it we should name it after you--the Brigitte..

Yes... it's a choctaw. By definition, a choctaw comprises

1. Change of feet (left to right or right to left)
2. Change of direction (fotwards to backwards or backwards to forwards)
3. Change of edge (inside to outside or outside to inside)

So... LBO to RFI is a choctaw.

The normal wind-up and step for a spin is a choctaw.

The change of foot/edge/direction in the USFSA Prelim/Adult Bronze Forward Power 3's is a choctaw.

Etc...

For us dancers, there are also numerous choctaws in the compulsory dances. The choctaw in the Blues and the choctaw in the Killian and the swing choctaw in the Quickstep are probably the 3 best known and recognized...

Hope this helps.

singerskates
10-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Well, did pre-admission for the hospital (Grace in Windsor, ON) today. Lucky me only had to be there for an hour. Found out that our cheap Ohip will only let them have me there as a day patient. That means I go in at 7:30 am Friday and I'm on the table getting the operation done at 9:30 am and then I'm done by at least 1:30 pm if, and that is if it's just a normal cyst. Anything differnt could change things. I'm hopoing that I'm home by 2 pm. I'm not allowed to drive home. The hospital says it's because of insurance. Anyway, my husband will either take off early from his midnight shit job or I will drive in and he wil ride his bike to the hospital and then later drive me home. Imagine, they suggested for me to take a taxi. I live clear across the city. There's no way I'm going to shell $50 to go the hospital and back. No way!

Didn't sleep much last night even though I was in bed long enough. Just too much pain. Glad I'm going for the surgery to get the pain over with. Besides, I want those nice high spirals I once had back especially since I can still even weakened do a outside to inside combo spiral. I also want my jumps back. I want height and power on my jumps. I want to start working on double jumps in the spring. I want to be able to do all my spins without droping my right leg to the ice before I spin. There for get that stupid cyst out of me, doc! I'm thinking of the future at the moment. I also would like to be able to sleep without pain for a change. It's been too long.

So this Friday I declare Freedom Friday. I'll finally be free of the pain that has caused me so much problems and slowed me down.

Brigitte. Talk to you next in this thread Friday afternoon when I'm done my nap.

God Bless.

Moto Guzzi
10-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Singerskates, I am so sorry you have to have surgery and know how frightening this is for you. I had an ovarian cyst removed when I was 24 so I understand what you are going through. Most likely you have a benign cyst, and they can get quite large and cause a lot of pain. My cyst turned out to be benign. I was up and around the next day and didn't even take pain medication because the pain from the surgery was less than the pain I had been suffering. You will be fine, too, I'm sure.

I will say a prayer for you and keep you in my thoughts. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care.

KathySkates
10-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Hi Brigitte! I will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. I have had 3 abdominal surgeries. You may wind up in better shape after all because they will fix your pain! Then you can get your spiral back! You may also recover more quickly because you are in good condition from skating.
I had my last abdominal surgery last year. I woke up with an incision from my breastbone to the very bottom of my torso. I did whatever the doctors and nurses told me to do. (Walk, eat, drink, etc...) Less than 4 weeks later, I was back on the ice! Doing jumps! Then I decided to work on brackets. PLUNK! Down I went. My insides were all crashing around inside. I find falls on footwork to be much more painful than for jumps. The voice of sanity inside me said to go home and take it easy a couple of weeks longer. I did and was better for it. I would say it took me about 8 weeks to really get back on the ice and do all my jumps and spins. Stamina took awhile longer but it came.
My advice is to take it easy. Let your family and friends pamper you. Be patient but know that you will be back!
Oh! I almost forgot! Practice in your head! It really helps!
Keep us posted and feel free to email me to vent or cry on my shoulder!
One funny thing that happened - On the one year anniversary of my last surgery, I took the ice at Adult Nats! There were so many other skaters that had surgeries and illnesses. We compared notes and stories. As my scar was still relatively new, I won the "ugly scar contest". ( Similar to ballet dancers' ugly feet contests) Alas, it has since faded so I don't think that I would win it again!

Mrs Redboots
10-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Anyway, my husband will either take off early from his midnight shit job Brigitte, as you know, our thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow, and we look forward to hearing how it all went - and that you are free from pain (which you might not be tomorrow, as you will have a little hole in your tum, and I gather that you won't be able to laugh for a day or so, but certainly by next week). But I couldn't resist a grin at the wonderful typo in the above sentence - or was it a typo???

Ice Queen
10-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Brigitte, I haven't been here for awhile and didn't know you were having health problems. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers as you go in for your surgery tomorrow. When you go in just think positive thoughts and imagine yourself skating. You'll find it relaxes you and the surgery will be over with before you know it. And then you'll be on the road to recovery and skating once again. Good luck! Nancy

jazzpants
10-05-2002, 12:18 AM
I've emailed to you on this...but I want to add here as well that I thinking of you and hoping things are fine with the operation and you are resting comfortably! Think of the "freedom" you'll finally have of your pain!!! :)

Cheers,
jazzpants

dbny
10-05-2002, 06:53 PM
Brigitte: I haven't been here all week (very busy out of town) and saw that you need surgery, and have most likely had it by now. I hope they found only a minimal problem, and that you are home all comfy and recovering by now. ((((((Brigitte)))))

singerskates
10-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Just got home from the hospital. It was jail. I thought I was going
to get out 4 hours later after checking in but no. Turns out that I
may have caught the flu and had diarhea from my husband who caught it
from someone at work. So when the doctor was done removing the cyst
and doing the biosy(sp) on the other ovary, I had a fever. I had to
be put on intervenus(s) with antibiotics for two of the four days. I
bounced back fast though. I was over the flu in less than 24 hours. I
was up standing and walking to the bathroom. On the second day, I
walked down to the main floor using the elevator with my husband.
That wore me right out and I fell asleep not five minutes after I got
back to my room. Both on the second day and the third day in the
hospital, Ifound myself falling asleep in the middle of eating while
I was sitting up. Figure that one out. Sunday, I had just woke up to
find that I had left an ABC channel on and caught figure skating on
TV. I had no idea that there was to be skating on. I saw most of it
un interrupted but then my husband came to visit and I had to share
the small screen with him and couldn't hear anything since we were
talking. I got sprung from jail at 2pm today.

My doc says I can't work or skate for 4 weeks. I'm not allowed to
drive for at least 2 weeks. But then on the good side, I am not
allowed to do house work either. Bad side, can't go shopping either.
Boy am I glad that I chose to take someone's cancellation this past
Friday. Otherwise, I'd still be waiting to get the operation done in
late October. That would mean that I wouldn't have any time to get
strong enought to train to compete this year. The way I chose to do
it, I will just have enough time. When I go back in 4 weeks on the
ice, I will be just starting out with light stroking. Then I'll be
moving on to light ice dancing the next week. 3rd week back I'll be
doing everything in my programs but the spins and jumps. On the
fourth week I'll be adding spins and on the 5th week, I'll be
jumping. So I won't be jumping on ice until 9 weeks from now.

jazzpants
10-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Hi, ya!!!
But then on the good side, I am not
allowed to do house work either. Bad side, can't go shopping either.

Glad to hear that you are back home recovering.

Sure, you can still do shopping. But you'll have to do it online instead. ;)

Cheers,
jazzpants

wannask8
10-07-2002, 09:18 PM
YAAAAAY!!!!! Welcome back!

-- wannask8

Mrs Redboots
10-08-2002, 09:51 AM
So glad to hear you're better.

Anyway, if you can't go shopping, you can't spend any money! And what a good excuse to get take-aways instead of cooking......

jazzpants
10-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
So glad to hear you're better.

Anyway, if you can't go shopping, you can't spend any money! And what a good excuse to get take-aways instead of cooking......
True!!! Soooo true!!! :) :) :P~~

Cheers,
jazzpants, who's a "foodie" (someone who *really* likes food and enjoys eating out.)

Ice Queen
10-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Brigette, glad you're finally home and that your surgery is over. Now it's time to put your feet up and have hubby wait on you.:)

Get well soon!!

Yazmeen
10-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Glad to hear you're OK--and falling asleep in the middle of lunch right after an operation is not unusual--believe it or not, eating is WORK after you've had surgery.

Did you ever think you'd wear yourself out eating???? :P :lol:

Glad things went well. Take care and take it easy.

HEAL!!!!

Dr. Beth

dbny
10-08-2002, 12:09 PM

The way I chose to do it, I will just have enough time. When I go back in 4 weeks on the ice, I will be just starting out with light stroking. Then I'll be moving on to light ice dancing the next week. 3rd week back I'll be doing everything in my programs but the spins and jumps.
On the fourth week I'll be adding spins and on the 5th week, I'll be jumping. So I won't be jumping on ice until 9 weeks from now.

Welcome back! So glad to hear all is well. I see you have your comeback all figured out :lol:

singerskates
10-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ice Queen
Brigette, glad you're finally home and that your surgery is over. Now it's time to put your feet up and have hubby wait on you.:)

Get well soon!!

My hubby wait on me? Ha ha ha ha!
While I was laid up in the hospital, my husband decided to become a French man in the woods of Quebec in our backyard. He waas throwing lots of tree branches and stomps around and pulled out his back. He showed up at the hospital barely able to walk himself. You should have seen us baarely able to both walk down the hospital halls. ROTFLOL

It took me being in pain and still sick in my hospital bed and nagging my husband for him to finally take some Advils for his pain. But today, he is in worse pain than his was over the weekend and yesterday. We are now thinking that he may have a slipped dics in his back. If he's still in pain tomorrow he's going to go to the clinic to see our family doctor to check it out.

So don't be looking for my hubby to wait on me hand and foot.
I do have two teenaged daughters who are helping my husband and I. At this point, I'm more flexable and able to walk more easily than my husband. Yet he still has to go into work and I'm restricted from work, shopping in stores/malls and skating. Well, 3 weeks and 6 days to go.

singerskates,
competitive adult skater in waiting......

melanieuk
10-09-2002, 09:05 AM
Trust the husband to steal the wife's thunder! :roll:

At least you are over the worst.
:D
Happy (and speedy) healing. :)

Hannahclear
10-11-2002, 07:25 AM
I'm glad to hear you're recovering and that the trouble was manageable, God Bless.

singerskates
10-11-2002, 03:04 PM
To let you all know, it's one week after the surgery.

I'm at the point where I can sit for quite a while and have no pain. But then I'm also at the point where the non-stop itching of the stitches inside and out are driving me nuts and I can't stratch if I want to stratch. I mean, how do you stratch an ovary? All I can hope for is to cough, laugh or sneeze to replace it with temporary pain. 8O :lol:

Maybe this means I'll be healed sooner than thought? :idea: :?: ;)

Singerskates a.k.a. Brigitte adult skater in waiting.

Elsy2
10-11-2002, 08:05 PM
I think my Mom used to say that itching meant you were healing ;) I'm glad the surgery is over for you, but I am surprised that you required such a major one....didn't they consider a laproscopic procedure for you? That's where you have 3 very small incisions and they do the work through those....I'm just wondering if this procedure is not as available in Canada as the U.S.?

singerskates
10-12-2002, 10:18 PM
Yes, that's how it started out. But it turned out to be a bigger deal than the doctor thought it was going to be. I was pretty sick from the type of cyst I had and it messed up my whole body.

Spent most of the first part of the day sleeping in bed even after I had breakfast I was tired and had to sleep.

Brigitte

Moto Guzzi
10-12-2002, 11:46 PM
I'm glad your surgery is over and you're on your way to recovery. Get well quickly!

VGL
10-13-2002, 09:54 AM
WOW - you must have been really sick for them to keep you in hospital that long. With the medical system being stretched to the max, they kick people out as soon as they can after surgery.

Speedy recovery.

singerskates
10-17-2002, 02:12 AM
Snag in recovery.

Was out with family at a restaurant and just sat down to fast and bumped onto my chair and pulled something inside. Hope it was just a muscle that was weak. If the pain totally reverses itself in the morning, I'll know that I'm OK but if not, I'll have to call the doc and tell him what happened. Praying that the pain which is mild now, will go away by morning. It's sort of where my whole right ovary was. Now there is only half an ovary. Otherwise I'm feeling great.

I actually went to watch skating yesterday at my rink and cheered my fellow skaters on. Watch my coach do group skills lessons with the senior skaters torturing them (ROTFLOL). It was hilarious when they messed up because they'd all get the hard stuff but messed up on the spiral-shoot the duck-spiral combo. They got really low to the ice on the shoot the ducks. Funny thing was that the one who mess up the most on that is a Novice skater with some gold under her.

I taught music at school today, grades 1 to 8. Sat down the whole time. Oh,, yeah, wasn't going to over do it. I taught theory, recorder and played the keyboard for the vocal music teacher. I don't usually play keyboard but I know my music theory and where the notes are on the keyboard. So I had less than 15 minutes to learn a piece in the Key of A (3#'s). Also had to know the Key of Eb too. I play guitar not keyboard, so this was an experience. I was filling in for my fellow teacher who was called to teach another class due to a meeting with the regular stuff and board members. But I pulled it off.

garyc254
10-17-2002, 07:57 AM
YOU GO, GIRL!!!! :D

Sounds like your recovery is coming along well. I hope the "accidental" pain goes away quickly.

Keep the faith and know we're all cheering for you.

singerskates
10-17-2002, 03:49 PM
Pain went down but swelled a bit. Almost can't tell I hurt myself yesterday.

Practiced music (recorder, guitar and vocals) for Christmas show my friend Marj and I will be performing in Dec. at Herritage Village in Essex County, Ontario, Canada. You can find signs on the 401 for Herritage Village and on Highway 3. Used my church's sactuary to practice. I have a key for my church (Youth Group Leader).

Problem for Youth Group on Friday. I'm not allowed to drive yet and the Youth Group will be going to the movies to see Vegetales' Jonah. I have a nice big van that can hold many kids but not allowed to drive yet. I'd ask my friend Terri to drive my van but we need her to drive her car to hold the other kids. Have van, can't drive so can't use van. What to do?

Bought 2 SK8 With Elvis tickets for the Nov. 16th show at London's John Labatt Arena. This will certainly pick me up.

Thanks for all the get well notes, wishes and prayers! I can feel them.

singerskates
10-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Doing OK. This is the toughest part waiting and doing nothing till my time is up.

Anyway, had to drive home on Saturday from Windsor Arena. Youngest teen has Broomball Saturday nights. I let both my teens drive me to the rink and they made me really nervous. One was eating the curb and then hit the curb so I switch her to the other one but she was weaving. Made it to the rink a nervous reck. 8O They both just have their beginner drivers licences. One is 16 and the other 18. (The 18 year old will be doing groceries with me tonight. I point. She picks up the item and puts it in the cart. I pay. She puts it in the van and then in the house. She's going to drive too. Help!) I felt much more at ease and relaxed when I drove home then having them drive me. :)

I drove both ways to pick up my SK8 With Elvis tickets from Ticket Master. When I got home I was busted for driving by my husband.

Doc doesn't want me driving I'm not sure if it was a total of two weeks or four? I have two different pamfellets(sp) and they both say different. Anyway, I feel fine. A little tired from it but fine. If my doc finds out that I was driving, I'm dead. My husband yelled at me for driving. But I'm not taking a bus that goes over every single pot hole and stops every two seconds. I feel that would be worse. And I don't want to go stir crazy from being home all the time either.