View Full Version : Spin Trainers

momsk8er
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi everyone. What has been your experience with spin trainers. I have one, and I think it has helped with my backspin, but I really don't think I'm using it right, as I can't seem to go around more than a couple of times. At least without flying off into the couch! Any advice?

Thanks!

xofivebyfive
06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
It takes a LOT of practice. I spent a good hour on it before I could figure out how to get more than a few rotations. Foward spins are really hard to do, but my backspin had an insane improvement after I used my spinner. Now, I go and do spins for 5 minutes before I leave to go skating. It's really good to warm up the muscles.

Sessy
06-08-2007, 05:30 AM
I've had one for a year because I couldn't learn to spin for my life it seemed... Well I can do a sit spin, a forward and a backward spin on it and I've done attempts at laybacks and bielmans.
Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC8mb1bLU00

My experience is that even though they say to spin on it in socks, my ankles aren't strong enough to hold it so I do it in shoes.

Also I'm a bad spinner.

SynchroSk8r114
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
A while ago, we used spinners in a jump class ironically. We did a lot with backspins on them to get the in-air position and feeling of rotating in that position. It helped alot, IMO. We would also work on the backspin position on the spinner and then jump off into a landing position to work on getting out of double jumps/axels quickly. I enjoyed it and it seemed beneficial in that sense. On the other hand, I don't really have much experience with practicing like, sit spins, camels spins, layback, etc.

One of the reasons why you may be having some difficulty staying on your spinner is because of control. You don't want to push off unsteadily to gain speed; it's easier to gain and maintain speed by simply getting into the correct positions and keeping everything pulled in tight (arms, core muscles, etc.) Once you get in the right spin position, you should be able to spin and spin and spin. I've done backspins on it that, when in the correct position, I was getting close to 15-20 revolutions.

To help you get in this position for your backspin, think of the 'H'-position, which is where you're on a straight right leg (assuming you spin CCW) and your left leg is slightly infront of you with your knee bent. Also, make sure to keep your core muscles strong by pulling your belly button in to your spine, but not sucking your stomach in - you must engage your muscles! To increase speed and therefore revolutions, spin in 'H' position before dropping your leg left down to cross the right foot. If you're doing it correctly, your legs should form an 'H' when looking at you from the side.That's where you want to spin and where it'll be easiest for you to (hopefully) stay on the spinner!

Incase you don't understand the 'H' position, here's some links that show you what I'm talking about:
Good example of correct position:
http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/28/28/4/19/41/246841941upgUJm_th.jpg
Translates to this in the air:
http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/2cl/ch05/figs/figure-skater.png

Hope this helps you. Happy spinning!

Summerkid710
06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
The pro shop that I work for has exhibited at US Nationals before. We would get national level competitors trying out the spin trainers. I didn't see it but apparently, it is possible to do camels, sit spins, bielmans, etc. I wish I could have been there.

As a coach, I feel that their real purpose is to solidify the backspin position. One thing to think about -- you really should be up on the ball of your foot when on the spin trainer. We don't stand the same way we spin.

flippet
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
One thing to think about -- you really should be up on the ball of your foot when on the spin trainer. We don't stand the same way we spin.

Ditto on this. I had a soft-soled pair of shoes that had a heel approximately the same height as my skate boot. I used those on my spin trainer, and it was much better--put my center of gravity where it would also be in the skates.

You do have to be very precise when you use these things, or you WILL get bucked off!

I'm not sure how much mine actually 'helped' me, but it was a lot of fun.

I spoke to a coach once who used these for jump training for his kids--he'd even use two of them for doing flying camels. 8O Now, I never saw this, it's just what he told me, but wow----think of how precise you'd have to be to do that! 8O8O8O