View Full Version : Paramount Blades

UDsk8coach
06-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey All!

I'm looking in investing in a pair of Paramount 440ss blades... anyone heard anything about them (good, bad, indifferent)? I've been in Pattern 99's the past 10+ years, and I adore them, but I'm feeling that I should venture out... I just wanted to know if anyone has heard praise or complaints about them. I don't see too many pairs of them around my rinks, so I don't have anyone to ask.

Thanks!

dbny
06-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I understand that they are hard to sharpen and require special equipment, but that they hold the edges for a very long time.

blackmanskating
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I've only seen one skater at my rink with a pair of paramounts. She had pink ones. Next time I see her, I'll ask how she likes them.

SynchroSk8r114
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Just spoke with the man who fits me skates about this. He said that he's sold about 25 pairs at his shop. What else? Well, they're lighter because they're made out of aluminium and injected with a piece of steel. And if I recall correctly, they're also made overseas (but I can't remember where specifically). He also mentioned that you have to be very careful about who sharpens Paramounts because, like the other poster said, a correct sharpen requires special equipment as the blades sometimes won't fit standard sharpeners. Overall, he said that the skaters who bought these blades seemed pretty happy with them. I forget how much he said these blades cost, but I think the high end blade is somewhere near $450-$500 with the basic style running about $350. Rumor has it that the cost could increase by about $20, so I'd invest soon if you're seriously considering them.

I know a girl who's going to be getting them soon, so I'll let you know what she says (good/bad)...

dbny
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Coaches can get quite a discount on a single pair. Our Skating Director has them (pink) and told me they are fun and a lot of competitive kids have them. I considered them briefly because of the discount, but the rockers are all larger than I want and I want to start using the Pro-Filer exclusively.

Geek Skater
06-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I considered them briefly because of the discount, but the rockers are all larger than I want and I want to start using the Pro-Filer exclusively.
The Pro-Filer can be used on any size rocker. I think you mean the Radius of Hollow.

Clarice
06-08-2007, 06:24 AM
My daughter switched to Paramounts from Pattern 99s, and had no problems at all. The profile is supposed to be very similar. She insists on very sharp blades, and was wearing out conventional blades way too fast because of constant sharpenings. Since these don't need to be sharpened as often, they should last a lot longer for her. We do have to send them out to be sharpened. When I spoke to their representative at Adult Nationals, he mentioned something about an attachment for the sharpening machine - he seemed to indicate that he would include it or sell it to me very cheaply if I bought another pair of blades (I'm thinking of switching, too). If I could get that attachment, a local coach would be able to sharpen them. It would be worth checking out, anyway - I think you have to deal directly with him, though, and not just order on line.

SynchroSk8r114
06-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Coaches can get quite a discount on a single pair. Our Skating Director has them (pink) and told me they are fun and a lot of competitive kids have them. I considered them briefly because of the discount, but the rockers are all larger than I want and I want to start using the Pro-Filer exclusively.

I know that as a member of the PSA I get 10% off, I think, through manufacturers.

I just paid for my new lightweight, custom Harlicks and I ended up getting something like $200 off boot/blade between discounts from Harlick and the place where I purchased my skates. Just one of the many perks of coaching...;)

dbny
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
The Pro-Filer can be used on any size rocker. I think you mean the Radius of Hollow.

No, I mean I do not want to skate on an 8 or 9 foot rocker. I haven't yet asked Pro-Filer whether or not their device will work on Paramount blades. I wouldn't buy without knowing for sure, since Paramount does have special sharpening requirements.

I always use "Rocker" to mean Radius of Rocker and "Hollow" to mean Radius of Hollow. That avoids the confusion of using the word "radius".

The last time I looked online at Paramount blades, the professional discount was greater than 10%, but it looks like that's gone now.

UDsk8coach
06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks!

I didnt know there was a discount! I googled Paramount 440ss and found a place that was selling them for just over $400, and the Paramount website has a guarenteed lowest price, so... I was figuring I'd be spending around $400-450 for new blades.

I was looking at the lightweight harlicks too, as I'm in a custom harlick now... I've been in harlicks for 15 years, and am used to the weight of the boot, so Im a little apprehensive about switching to something lighter, even though I realize it'd be a *positve* switch for my skating :D

I also *really* prefer a sharp blade, and have a very deep sharpening on my blades now... that's great to hear about the Paramount!

I'll talk to my local skate sharpener and have him call his mentor regarding the sharpening of the blade... I was considering getting them in another month or so...

THANKS EVERYONE!!

SynchroSk8r114
06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks!

I didnt know there was a discount! I googled Paramount 440ss and found a place that was selling them for just over $400, and the Paramount website has a guarenteed lowest price, so... I was figuring I'd be spending around $400-450 for new blades.

I was looking at the lightweight harlicks too, as I'm in a custom harlick now... I've been in harlicks for 15 years, and am used to the weight of the boot, so Im a little apprehensive about switching to something lighter, even though I realize it'd be a *positve* switch for my skating :D

I also *really* prefer a sharp blade, and have a very deep sharpening on my blades now... that's great to hear about the Paramount!

I'll talk to my local skate sharpener and have him call his mentor regarding the sharpening of the blade... I was considering getting them in another month or so...

THANKS EVERYONE!!

I also just switched from regular custom Harlicks, which I loved, but they were awfully heavy. Like you, I was somewhat apprehensive about switching to a lighter boot, but seriously, I'm jumping higher and on the first day of skating in them I was able to land axels - something I could not have done if breaking in my old Harlicks. It's also easier for me to get my feet crossed on my doubles and my spirals...WOW! It's like you're not even lifting anything.

Part of the reason I switched to a lighter boot is because I am fairly tiny and light. My old customs, which I had for 8 years (got me through Senior MIF, freestyle (doubles), synchro, and Pre-Gold dances so far and which I use for coaching in), were barely broken down...I had no creases on the outside of my boots from bending at the ankle...nothing! And as you can see, it wasn't like I wasn't in them enough. The other part of the reason I switched is because my tongue had broken down pretty badly.

I talked with the man who fits my skates and he didn't think it was a bad idea to switch. He worked with me to customize exactly what I wanted and talked me through what features he recommended to keep the general feeling the same (such as symmetrical lacing).

I love my new lightweight boots, and although I've only been in them for 3 days, I can't wait to get going on my doubles and start spinning in a few...

UDsk8coach
06-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I also just switched from regular custom Harlicks, which I loved, but they were awfully heavy. Like you, I was somewhat apprehensive about switching to a lighter boot, but seriously, I'm jumping higher and on the first day of skating in them I was able to land axels - something I could not have done if breaking in my old Harlicks. It's also easier for me to get my feet crossed on my doubles and my spirals...WOW! It's like you're not even lifting anything.

Part of the reason I switched to a lighter boot is because I am fairly tiny and light. My old customs, which I had for 8 years (got me through Senior MIF, freestyle (doubles), synchro, and Pre-Gold dances so far and which I use for coaching in), were barely broken down...I had no creases on the outside of my boots from bending at the ankle...nothing! And as you can see, it wasn't like I wasn't in them enough. The other part of the reason I switched is because my tongue had broken down pretty badly.

I talked with the man who fits my skates and he didn't think it was a bad idea to switch. He worked with me to customize exactly what I wanted and talked me through what features he recommended to keep the general feeling the same (such as symmetrical lacing).

I love my new lightweight boots, and although I've only been in them for 3 days, I can't wait to get going on my doubles and start spinning in a few...

Really?!?!?! You just might make a convert out of me yet.....

I have the same thing w my custom Harlicks - two years and NO creases! I like a strong boot, so I have the double duo bond, which is the same as the Finalist, which I loved. I honestly dont even notice the weight of my skates anymore, but I was wondering what difference a significantly lighter skate would make... I want to take my novice free this summer, but maybe I'll snatch up a pair of these lightweight skates first... I think I'll take my senior moves in my current pair tho, just bc mentally I think its the right move (it's all mental, isn't it?!) :D

Thanks so much!!

SynchroSk8r114
06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Really?!?!?! You just might make a convert out of me yet.....

I have the same thing w my custom Harlicks - two years and NO creases! I like a strong boot, so I have the double duo bond, which is the same as the Finalist, which I loved. I honestly dont even notice the weight of my skates anymore, but I was wondering what difference a significantly lighter skate would make... I want to take my novice free this summer, but maybe I'll snatch up a pair of these lightweight skates first... I think I'll take my senior moves in my current pair tho, just bc mentally I think its the right move (it's all mental, isn't it?!) :D

Thanks so much!!

Hahaha, I wish I would have had these lighter boots when I took my Senior MIF! It's soooo much easier to get your legs up on spirals. :lol: You're probably best sticking to what you're used to though - I'm not sure how much of a difference lighter boots would make on the rest of the moves...

I plan on testing my Intermediate free this summer and am hoping that these boots make a difference. I was kind of nervous about getting new boots and having only about 2 months to break them in, but I'm doing okay so far...;)