View Full Version : Do you make your own Skating dress?

FSWer
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Say,I was wondering if there's anyone here who actually makes their own Competition or Show dresses?

Clarice
06-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I make most of the dresses for myself and my daughter, and sometimes for other skaters at our rink. I'll bet a lot of people on this board do their own sewing.

jazzpants
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Sadly, I'm a software engineer... and NOT a dressmaker... for a reason! :twisted: Heaven knows I can design in my mind but get me anywhere near that sewing machine and 8O !!!

The closest I can say that I've done anything with my dress is for me is stoning my own dress. It was only once and it was not a fun job for me b/c it takes so long and it had the potential to be QUITE messy given that my house is already SO messy!!! :lol:

(Speaking of which, thanks for reminding me to start looking for a dress for my FS program... ;) )

TreSk8sAZ
06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I've tried sewing my own dress, but I don't have the right type of sewing machine, so it was a disaster! But I do crystal all of my own dresses, and any dresses people want to send me (Good, easy way to make money -- Plus it's fun!!!!). The stoning varies with what people have in their mind and the music that they're skating to.

Scarlett
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I can't even hem my own pants. I don't go anywhere near my skating dresses.

tidesong
06-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I sew almost all my skating dresses (and I'm a software development engineer too hehehe)

I just start by trial and error mostly, I had an old sewing machine which broke down and eventually I got a new machine from my parents for one of my birthdays and just well I just sewed and unpicked until I figured out what I was doing (and tried to look at leotards and other tops along the way... its a cumulative effort... )

blackmanskating
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Man the only thing I can sew is a button. (I got a grandma that is seriously into that sewing stuff but it definitely doesn't interest me) Otherwise, I would be making serious bank off of all these skaters getting ready for competitions. My grandma tailors my costumes.

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
06-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I sew almost all my skating dresses (and I'm a software development engineer too hehehe)HA HA!!! Maybe I should specify that I'm actually a software quality assurance engineer. I get to torture all you poor development souls with lots of nice juicy BUGS for 'ya!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Speaking of which, gotta get back to work so I can afford that skating dress I'm eyeing...

Cheers,
jazzpants, who wishes that we software QA engineers makes the type of "serious bank" (borrowing the term from BMS) that the software development engineers does. We're still seriously underpaid anywhere from 5-10K annual salary in my neck of the woods! :evil: :frus:)

kander
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Speaking of which, gotta get back to work so I can afford that skating dress I'm eyeing...

Cheers,
jazzpants,

What???! 8O Are we gonna get a GIF this time?

jazzpants
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
What???! 8O Are we gonna get a GIF this time?Tsk tsk tsk... you think I'm gonna give you more blackmail material??? :P :lol:

Seriously, there is already a picture of me in a skating dress from Adult Sectionals in 2006 at Oakland on the web. You didn't see it? If you didn't, I definitely won't tell 'ya where it is. MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted: You're gonna have to come to watch me make my Bronze FS debut at Skate SF later this year to see the dress (and me in it!!!) :P

kander
06-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Tsk tsk tsk... you think I'm gonna give you more blackmail material??? :P :lol:

Seriously, there is already a picture of me in a skating dress from Adult Sectionals in 2006 at Oakland on the web. You didn't see it? If you didn't, I definitely won't tell 'ya where it is. MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted: You're gonna have to come to watch me make my Bronze FS debut at Skate SF later this year to see the dress (and me in it!!!) :P

I'll be sure to bring my camera :twisted: Seriously, I won't post your picture without your permission. Everybody, let Jazz know you want pics!

jazzpants
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I'll be sure to bring my camera :twisted: Seriously, I won't post your picture without your permission. Everybody, let Jazz know you want pics!
OMG!!! 8O 8O 8O http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif (Oh, geez! :roll: :P I'll PM you the link to my skating dress picture... but AFTER Skate SF!!!) :twisted:

sexyskates
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I design and sew all my skating dresses and costumes for competition. I started with a basic pattern from specialtysportswear on the internet, and a regular sewing machine. When my first dress came out well, I bought a serger machine and couple more patterns. Then I adjusted the patterns to fit me by some trail and error (making a nice collection of practice dresses). Now I use tissue paper to trace over my basic pattern that is adjusted to fit me perfectly, and design different skirts, sleeves, necklines, and other changes. I even make matching warm up jackets for my competition dresses. The stretch fabrics are quite forgiving, so you don't have to be that great a seamstress. However, I am a veterinarian, and my surgical skills help my sewing!

tidesong
06-07-2007, 08:59 PM
ooooh QA hehehe well umm the pay over here isn't that great, unlike in the US...

sexyskates: Yeah I totally hear from my surgeon friend that well surgery isn't that far off from sewing lol... and but you have a serger!!! I want one of those things one day when I can afford it ... for now the zigzag stitch is my good friend.

twokidsskatemom
06-08-2007, 12:52 AM
http://www.customskatewear.com/gallery.php
This is who makes ours !! I couldnt sew if I had to. just not my talent !She does a great job, and isnt expensive !

SkatingOnClouds
06-08-2007, 03:34 AM
I have a serger - we call them overlockers here. And even before I had one, I used to make my skating dresses years ago. I make my daughter's costumes, and last year made my own toreador outfit for an artistic comp.

I love making skating costumes, they are so much fun and challenging. And the decorating, whether it be fabric paint or crystals. Sort of adds to the whole fun of the lead up to a competition for me.

Maineskate
06-08-2007, 06:08 AM
I make all my own dresses. I also sew for a dance troupe and our local skating shows...it's really fun!

Julie

Summerkid710
06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
My mom made all of my dresses and practice skirts growing up. She also had a custom skating dress design business. It was always alot of fun to design my dresses because I could get exactly what I wanted and I knew it would fit. We would even dye fabric if we couldn't find the color I was looking for. When I was a teenager, mom would make the dress and then I would do the beading/stoning on it myself.

As an adult, I buy my dresses off the rack but I do work at pro shop and do a lot of the dress buying so I tend to like what we carry. :lol:

Joan
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I make some of my dresses and when I don't feel like sewing, I buy my dresses.

flying~camel
06-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I now have all of my dresses made by my good friend, fellow adult skater and owner of Flowerdaze Skating Apparel (http://www.flowerdaze.com), Leslie Flowerday :)

Sessy
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I do, although I expect my mother will make some as well in the future (she's better than I am at sewing - she sews 2000-dollar competition dresses for her dancing and, by chance, she's a software developer engineer too!!! What is that with all the sewing software developer engineers?!)
Here's the dress I'm working on (the neck will run V-type in the end)
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9532/imag0007jw1.jpg

My sewing machine I got in exchange for a pie 10 years ago. It's a heavy metal construction from the world war II era, it only does straight and zigzag, but I wouldn't trade it for the newest of the newest. I tried, totally couldn't work with a new sewing machine - it kept rippling the stretchy materials and it nearly galloped off the table).

NCSkater02
06-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I've not really been able to find dresses off the rack that fit me well. I have lost 45+ pounds since I started, but started with KwikSew making XLs. Now, my figure has changed enough to mix sizes--I can wear the large, but still need the XL around the waist. I've also tried Jalie and they fit pretty well. I have a Specialty Sportswear, but haven't tried it yet. One of these days when I have more time.

I have a Serger, and just got my first new sewing machine in 19+ years--I splurged on a Husqvarna. I haven't really played with it yet, but am getting ready to.

Emberchyld
06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I have a serger - we call them overlockers here. And even before I had one, I used to make my skating dresses years ago. I make my daughter's costumes, and last year made my own toreador outfit for an artistic comp.

So, how do you sew stretchy material without a serger? elastic thread? zig zag stitch? Most of what I sew calls for non-stretchy, so I can't justify the cost of buying a serger for myself, but I would LOVE to be able to sew my own skating outfits

please, share your secret from your pre-serger days!

SkatingOnClouds
06-09-2007, 03:49 AM
So, how do you sew stretchy material without a serger? elastic thread? zig zag stitch? Most of what I sew calls for non-stretchy, so I can't justify the cost of buying a serger for myself, but I would LOVE to be able to sew my own skating outfits

My sewing machine had a sort of overlock stitch on it. It went 2 straight and one across, sort of of like

_ _\\_ _\\_ _\\_ _

This gives the overcasting of the edge as well as a stretch stitch. Worked very well on lycra for me.

Now if only I can work out how to sew zips into stretchy fabric without it all stretching and rippling. Any ideas on that one?

Sessy
06-09-2007, 04:50 AM

Zigzag works perfect. Take the 5 mm (widest) zigzag for the edges and the narrow (1-2 mm) zigzag for the seams. Then, set the length of the stitch to slightly higher than you normally would and stretch the material out as you're sewing. You're setting the length higher so the transporter has more power, because it'll need to counter-force your pulling the material towards you to stretch it out.
Basically the same way you stitch in rubber bands, except not as extreme.

Actually my bootcovers and stuff like that which never lives for a long time, I only sew with one broad zigzag stitch, I don't even bother to do the seams. Lycra isn't THAT easily falling apart.

Here's my photo-illustrated guide to making bootcovers: http://www.geocities.com/sessy_liz/bootcovers/bootcovers.html
you can sorta see the zigzag stitch in 2 of the photos.

And of course, you need a stretchy-material needle.

CaraSkates
06-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Now if only I can work out how to sew zips into stretchy fabric without it all stretching and rippling. Any ideas on that one?

You need to stabalize your fabric first. Double sided Wash Away Wonder Tape. Take a look at Joanns or Hancocks (if you have one that's not closing) on the notions wall.

I make a lot of skating dresses. I alternate between buying mine and doing the stoning and custom making them myself. I also make all of my one friend's dresses. She's getting a whole bunch of practice dresses for her birthday as I had to make up about 3 or 4 dresses to get the fit right on her new freestyle dress (just need to stone it now!) The mock up dresses (muslins) just need the edges finished on them and elastic inserted and they'll be a great gift for her and they are all cheap lyrca/velvet and almost but not quite fit perfectly. Perfect for practice!

BuggieMom
06-09-2007, 08:59 AM

I use the "Wonder Tape" Cara mentioned. It is great stuff! Apply it to the zipper tape and place the zipper onto the lycra without stretching the lycra. The tape will hold the fabric to the zipper without allowing it to stretch out of shape (thats where you get the ripples). I have done MANY zippers in this way, and have never had a problem.

LilJen
06-09-2007, 08:18 PM
So far I have bought on e-bay and altered from there. I got a very cute black velvet camisole dress that fit great everywhere except the chest, at least for a rink that's not adults-only. I just found some matching velvet (Spandexworld.com, baby--they send out free samples!), recut the bodice using a pattern as a base, added some straps, and voila! Actually I'm in the middle of putting sleeves on--it still felt just too darn chilly and bare. I also made myself a dance skirt to go with a leotard I have. I've used patterns from specialtysportswear and oh, golly, can't remember the other place. Found it online, though.

Comes in handy having sewn theater costumes and wedding garb.

SkatingOnClouds
06-10-2007, 03:22 AM
I use the "Wonder Tape" Cara mentioned. It is great stuff! Apply it to the zipper tape and place the zipper onto the lycra without stretching the lycra. The tape will hold the fabric to the zipper without allowing it to stretch out of shape (thats where you get the ripples). I have done MANY zippers in this way, and have never had a problem.

Thanks for the tip! I've found an online shop in Australia which stocks this, and it definitely sounds worth trying.

Is it better to sew on the zipper side or the fabric side to avoid the stretching and rippling? I'm thinking if I put the tape on the zipper and stick it to the fabric it will be sitting on the seam allowance, and what stops the outer side of the fabric stretching or rippling as you sew?

Raye
06-10-2007, 04:31 AM
I make all my own and my granddaughter's skating outfits, plus a lot of my second granddaughter's ballet practice outfits.

tidesong
06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
All this tips for the zipper is making me feel like trying that out again! All my zipper attempts have been scary to say the least. And the last one that barely worked, worked because I put it in the side and sequined alll over it lol to hide the multiple defects :P

I have always had trouble getting my zippers straight down the back :frus:

aussieskater
06-11-2007, 12:03 AM
re zips: I've had all my success putting the zip in before the garment is assembled at all - in other words, the very first thing I do with a zippered garment is to put the zipper in, then I fit the rest of the garment around the zip. Any time I've tried to add the zip later, the whole thing has gone pear-shaped. This technique has (so far) worked with stretch velvet, nylon lycra and illusion (the really stretchy very fine nude stuff), and with invisible zips, which is what I mostly use.

Sessy
06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I've so far avoided the issues of zippers entirely, using either stretch necks or pressing buttons.

Last time I put a zipper into stretch velvet I did it by hand, but then I've had years of practice sewing by hand as a child (before I got a sewing machine) so I've got a very decent straight hand sewing line, not sure somebody who never sews by hand should try... Also it's something you do when you've got nothing to do but watch tv for an evening, because it takes a while.

BatikatII
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
My only problem with putting a zipper into stretch velvet was that I followed the pattern instructions which clearly indicated a zipper almost the full length of the back bodice. I bought the size it said and duly put it in only to realise that of course a zipper does not stretch while the whole point of stretch velvet is that it does. I had no time to buy another zipper and take that one out and insert another shorter one, so had to wear the dress as it was which was not the most comfortable thing as any forward bending pulled up the entire dress 8O. Luckily the programme did not include much forward bending as it was for a march OD but it is not a dress I'll ever wear again unless I get round to replacing the zipper.

The moral here is to ignore the pattern and use the shortest zip you can that still allows you to get the dress on.:D

I'm about to try to make another dress for a dance programme - wish me luck!

SynchroSk8r114
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
My mom makes me some practice dresses using the KWIKS SEW patterns (http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/catalog/Frame_New.cfm), which we alter a bit and jazz up with rhinestones, appliques, etc. The dresses she's made from these patterns look and fit great (we've used pattern #3331 and #3445 under Misses' leotards and activewear), but for competition/show/test dresses, I get custom-made ones.

LilJen
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Zippers are difficult and take a lot of practice. I got really good at them while making wedding gowns--and sometimes having to make them REALLY FAST--but that was usually on sturdy, non-stretch fabric.

Velvet is one of the toughest fabrics to work with.

Stretch fabrics can be tricky to work with.

My point is that you have to practice, practice, practice--gee, just like skating--to get good at zippers on stretch fabric, especially velvet!