View Full Version : extended Tango stop

Team Arthritis
06-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I think this is what its called. All our higher skaters can do them and I can't get the hang of it -> after a little skip or some footwork going foreward you stick in the L toepick behind and slide the R blade forewards to stop with a big flourish. I need to learn this to join the theater on ice team next fall but keep catching the R blade - it just won't slide!
Lyle

Jeanne D
06-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I think this is what its called. All our higher skaters can do them and I can't get the hang of it -> after a little skip or some footwork going foreward you stick in the L toepick behind and slide the R blade forewards to stop with a big flourish. I need to learn this to join the theater on ice team next fall but keep catching the R blade - it just won't slide!
Lyle

For starters you need a good stable tango stop. From there work on sliding the forward foot away from the back skate, little baby steps, keeping the L toepick in the ice. You can practice this on the boards. I've never taken a fall on the tango stop and I never want to. I've fallen hard on one foot hockey slides. Just once though, and it hurt.:lol:

Also, if you don't have a tango stop this too can be practiced at the boards. I tell skaters to skim, trying to find out how much pressure you need.

There is some knee bend with the right skate when skating the split and extended tango. Then, as I'm stopping and in control, I straighten the right leg.

HTH.

dbny
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Thank you, Jeanne! I've been wanting to learn that one too. I have a decent, though tentative tango stop. The reason it's still tentative is that way back when I was in my 40's and before any lessons, I took the kids skating and since the tango stop is what I had habitually done on roller skates, of course, I just put my L foot in front to stop and went down hard on my R hip. Six months of bursitis in the hip kept me off the ice for many years (fool that I was)!

Jeanne D
06-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Thank you, Jeanne! I've been wanting to learn that one too. I have a decent, though tentative tango stop. The reason it's still tentative is that way back when I was in my 40's and before any lessons, I took the kids skating and since the tango stop is what I had habitually done on roller skates, of course, I just put my L foot in front to stop and went down hard on my R hip. Six months of bursitis in the hip kept me off the ice for many years (fool that I was)!

You're very welcome. I've always thought that a tango stop fall would be brutal! The foot is turned out, the body is facing forwards, if an edge is caught the body gets catupulted forwards mostly likely right onto a person's stomach.

I'm having my skates sharpened today, the last time I had them sharpened was in October. There will be lots of skimming going on after they are sharpened.:D

dbny
06-09-2007, 04:34 PM
You're very welcome. I've always thought that a tango stop fall would be brutal! The foot is turned out, the body is facing forwards, if an edge is caught the body gets catupulted forwards mostly likely right onto a person's stomach.

Actually, I didn't have enough weight on the front foot, so I went right off the back of the supporting blade. One of those almost straight down things that also happen with brackets :x. The only good thing about it was that it happened so fast that I didn't have a chance to put a hand down and break a wrist. I saved that for later :frus:.