View Full Version : Spins increasing speed

chowskates
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Wonder if anyone is clued in on what constitutes a "clear increasing of speed" on spins?

I am ambitious and want to try a CSSp4 but... I need to make use of this increasing speed feature. Had a friend video my spin last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMYenbV3uYA

Of course I also need to get my backsit much lower, but I'm sure I can work on that... at least I know how that is defined! LOL

Cheers,
Chow

doubletoe
06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I remember reading in the description that an increase in speed would involve a change in body position (contracting), and it looks like your arms are doing that. I don't know how many people do it on a sitspin, though. I thought it was usually something that is done on a layback . . . but then again, the way they do it on a layback is by doing a position that already counts as a feature anyway! :roll:

techskater
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Not true on a layback. After ANs, I went to work on that feature since I can't do a Biellman or haircutter without my quad screaming at me when I actually do it. If you can do a classic layback position and then the "Kwan" position, you will get a clear increase in speed which is not any other feature.

It will be up to the tech team whether they believe you have clearly increased speed.

doubletoe
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Not true on a layback. After ANs, I went to work on that feature since I can't do a Biellman or haircutter without my quad screaming at me when I actually do it. If you can do a classic layback position and then the "Kwan" position, you will get a clear increase in speed which is not any other feature.

It will be up to the tech team whether they believe you have clearly increased speed.

Oh yeah, good point about the free leg position!

km1428
06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
First of all you can take a bigger edge in your windup making sure you keep your left shoulder back. You can also try taking a longer edge into the spin to build some inertia and make sure to keep your lead arm up entering the spin. Keeping your shoulders back and arms up is very impotant... Good Luck...

daisies
06-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Your video looks like a really good attempt to me! You do seem to increase speed for several revolutions. I have to admit, though, in judging I have seen more obvious increases, and they are usually on laybacks. But I think you're on the right track! :)

kander
06-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Wonder if anyone is clued in on what constitutes a "clear increasing of speed" on spins?

I am ambitious and want to try a CSSp4 but... I need to make use of this increasing speed feature. Had a friend video my spin last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMYenbV3uYA

Of course I also need to get my backsit much lower, but I'm sure I can work on that... at least I know how that is defined! LOL

Cheers,
Chow

What's a CSSp4? Your spin looks fine to me. If you really want to increase the speed for a sit spin there is only one way I can think of. You step into it more assertively with the free leg as far out and high as you can get and try not to give up the extra speed when you squat down.

Another way of increasing speed on a regular scratch spin is something I've never tried, but according the physics should work. Hold 5 pound weights in each hand and keep your arms straight out as far from the body as you can. This will increase your rotational momentum (which means you'll go faster when you pull in). Just be careful not to accidently let loose of the weights!

Kevin

jazzpants
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
What's a CSSp4?ISU IJS speak for "Change Foot Sit Spin Level 4."

What constitute a CSSp4? I have no clue!!! :P

daisies
06-07-2007, 06:55 PM
If you really want to increase the speed for a sit spin there is only one way I can think of. You step into it more assertively with the free leg as far out and high as you can get and try not to give up the extra speed when you squat down.
Just to clarify, the feature of increasing speed on a spin doesn't mean doing a faster spin overall. It means that you're spinning at a certain rate in the first several rotations of the spin and you increase speed while already spinning, usually by pulling your arms and/or legs closer to your body.

doubletoe
06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Just to clarify, the feature of increasing speed on a spin doesn't mean doing a faster spin overall. It means that you're spinning at a certain rate in the first several rotations of the spin and you increase speed while already spinning, usually by pulling your arms and/or legs closer to your body.

And if I remember correctly, this increase in speed feature does not apply to the upright spin (since all scratch spins naturally increase in speed).

kander
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM

If that's the case, the only way to increase speed is by pulling in whatever body parts you can. I think Petkavich mentions in his book that looking over the left shoulder (if you're a CCW spinner) helps (although I'm not sure how). It might be entertaining to try using weights and see what happens.

Now that I think about it a little more, it seems to me that straightening the back from a hunched position could help a little. That would bring your mass closer to the axis of rotation. I think.

Kevin

daisies
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I believe you are correct, doubletoe! :)

techskater
06-07-2007, 08:16 PM
On the sit, you could go from the standard sit to a tighter position with the arms dropped down your spinning leg (crunches your core tighter and brings your arms in) or from a standard position to a cannonball sit which could be considered a difficult variation and generate your speed change.

Another option to get your spin called a CSSp4 is to start with the back sit and its variants first.

chowskates
06-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Your video looks like a really good attempt to me! You do seem to increase speed for several revolutions. I have to admit, though, in judging I have seen more obvious increases, and they are usually on laybacks. But I think you're on the right track! :)

Thanks, daisies and everyone else for all the responses. I would've tried the layback, except that its harder for me to add other features to that...

I suppose it would still be ok to try to slow down the start of the spin so that the increase speed is more obvious? I'm also assuming that... the 8 revs in basic position can also include the revs with speed increased? But alternatively , I could also hold the first 8 revs, by which time I would have lost speed, then pull in to increase speed after that?

Cheers,
Chow

techskater
06-08-2007, 08:06 AM
No, the 8 revs doesn't include the speed increase because you will have changed your "basic" position to get the speed increase. I know since the coach is the newest TS around here and she's making me hold the layback for 8 revs before the speed increase and I am not even allowed to change my arms in the 8 revs.

I wouldn't do the slower start to the spin because it may make it more difficult, just see if you can get the speed increase to be more apparent.

chowskates
06-10-2007, 09:33 AM
No, the 8 revs doesn't include the speed increase because you will have changed your "basic" position to get the speed increase. I know since the coach is the newest TS around here and she's making me hold the layback for 8 revs before the speed increase and I am not even allowed to change my arms in the 8 revs.

techskater, thanks! That is good to know.

I also tried dropping the arms down to the side of the legs like you mentioned. That works, but I haven't had anyone video me yet so can't tell if the increase is any more obvious.

Award
06-12-2007, 06:56 AM
The build up of inertia is really important. A great deal of speed isn't required to go into the spin, but getting the free leg out to get some momentum going is key. Like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvBu_PQomA4