View Full Version : Who all skates both ISI and USFS

littlekateskate
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I have been told its very common for people to skate both ISI and USFS. I was curious on here who does (or their kids do) why they do, has it ever been a problem, ect ect...

My dd currently is skating with both out of two different rinks. Its not been an issue yet but i am sure it could easily become one.

Thanks

Skittl1321
06-06-2007, 07:25 AM
The club I belong to is ISI- and my coach tests me on the ISI levels.

My main goals lie in testing USFSA- so I will either have to join a second club (the coach will only take students from his club, so I have to stay with the ISI one) or join as an individual member.

I don't compete yet, so that isn't an issue for me.

Mainly the only issue for me is the annoyance of having to pay dues in two places- especially because I'd rather only be doing the USFSA test track.

I would say it will probably only be an issue for your daughter because of the multiple rinks, if the clubs are the hypercompetitive types. She might have to eventually decide "where her loyalties are".

quarkiki2
06-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Our rink switched to USFS last fall, but my synchro team competes ISI because, honestly, we'd get beyond creamed in USFS competition. We were rink sponsored when the rink was ISI, but had to come up with an alternative plan to remain ISI sanctioned -- we ended up sponsoring the rink's ISI membership as a team -- it was the most affordable option. If we'd gone under our club or Jessi's, we'd all end up paying club dues that were higher than the ten of us splitting the $300.00 ISI fee. Fine by me! Now we don't have to change the logo on our team jackets and garment bags.

Because of the synchro team, I have membership with ISI, but I'm a Snowplow Sam instructor with USFS, so I have a basic skills coah membership with USFS. I haven't taken any of the USFS tests, but could compete no-test if I REALLY wanted to or compete ISI since I have that membership, too.

luckeylasvegas
06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Most kids at our rink skate both. Some coaches won't start their kids in USFSA until they have or are close to having their axel. Others will have all their kids skate both. Personally my DD has been in FS5 for a year waiting to land her axel (she has a fear of falling issue). But she will do her first no test USFSA event this year.

miraclegro
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I do mostly USFS, but i play with ISI when i need to de-stress, and do a program from music with words or something. I am an adult skater.

Our rink currently has the Learn to Skate program which is ISI, which, for me as a coach, i had to join recently as professional member to get caught up on things. I think in teaching, it is good for the child to learn both tracks as far as required basic elements, and then they will be well-grounded, but they can decide where or in which affiliation they wish to compete.

CanAmSk8ter
06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I do mostly USFS, but i play with ISI when i need to de-stress, and do a program from music with words or something. I am an adult skater.

Our rink currently has the Learn to Skate program which is ISI, which, for me as a coach, i had to join recently as professional member to get caught up on things. I think in teaching, it is good for the child to learn both tracks as far as required basic elements, and then they will be well-grounded, but they can decide where or in which affiliation they wish to compete.

Everything she said. I love it when someone basically types the long version of my response for me :)

Stormy
06-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I've always preferred USFS, especially in LTS settings! The Basic Skills program, when run well, is outstanding. I guess I've always found the continuity in the levels in ISI odd. The Basic Skills program is more complete. But it's definitely a matter of preference.

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
My rink is USFSA for it's LTS program. I compete mostly ISI. My coach is ISI. I did one USFSA event last year. I don't think I like USFSA events. ISI is much more fun!!! That's why I skate, for the fun, even though it is hard work.

I was going to test USFSA but now I don't think I will. the footwork for ISI freestyle 3 is harder than the dickens!!!