View Full Version : Custom boots..

xofivebyfive
06-04-2007, 05:16 PM
My parents and I are considering ordering a pair of custom made boots. I have had so many feet/ankle issues, and if we can't fix the current skates that I have now(that I bought in April), so that my ankles don't wobble, and my toes have enough room, and my heel doesn't lift up every time I lift up my right foot, I've been told that it's worth paying the money for a good pair of customs.

Since you guys are always ever so helpful at skating stuff, I figure I'd ask for opinions.

My first pair of skates were Riedells and they were big and bulky, and soft, which may have been because they were a lower level boot. My current boots are super teri CLs. I can't ever seem to get my boot tight enough so that my ankles don't wobble, and I have a horrible obnoxious blister on my right heel from it lifting every time it moves.

Which brand of custom boots would you recommend me getting? Harlicks? SpTeris? Riedells? Other?

I'm about 5'7, 125 lbs..don't know if that makes a difference but whatever.. right now I'm doing single jumps but in the next few weeks I'll be doing axels, and working on 2sals and 2toes, so I need something that will hold up for doubles.

I honestly don't know the difference between skates, so any help that you could give me, or any light that you could shed would be very much appreciated.

kander
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
By any chance to you live in the San Francisco Bay Area? If you do, you can work with the Harlick and SP Teri factories directly. My experience is mostly with SP Teri. I've rarely had a pair of boots that didn't have a problem, but SP Teri always works with you until it's fixed. I've heard that Harlick customs tend to fit right the first time.

If you don't live near a factory, you can sometimes run across boot manufacturers at the bigger skating competitions. They usually take orders and do fittings on the spot.

Kevin

doubletoe
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I just got my first pair of SP Teri customs and they fit perfectly!
However, even though the list price for SP Teri customs is $550, mine ended up costing me $724 once I requested the lightweight soles and all of the features I already had on my SP Teri KT2's (the lace bite stopper, power tab and notch in the lace area). If I had known those features all cost extra, I probably would have gone with Klingbeils instead. I hear great things about Klingbeil boots and they apparently charge the same low price for custom boots regardless of which features you request. So my recommendation for customs would be Klingbeil (they are in the New York area).

All custom boot makers will ask your height & weight, what jumps you are doing, what boots you have now and what you like/don't like about them and help you determine which stiffness and features to get. The most important thing is that you get fitted by someone who knows what he's doing, so call up the company and ask them to suggest a good fitter in your area.

Rusty Blades
06-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I am on my second pair of custom Jacksons and the fit has been pretty good.

It is CRITICALLY important that you get measured properly and that requires somebody with a proven reputation in custom boots.

There was an extensive conversation on one of the boards last year about "custom boots" and those with inside information say that true custom boots are extremely rare. Most makers (from what we understand) use a standard last, do some build-up where needed, and turn out a "customized" boot. Apparently the days of the old European bootmakers have passed and almost no one knows how to do a boot from scratch anymore. You best bet, therefore, is if you can work directly with the factory, face to face, so they can rework the boots as required to suit your foot and your boot issues.

xofivebyfive
06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
I like my SP Teris but my coach said that she's heard horror stories about "custom" sp teris and getting sent two left feet, and people didn't like them. She suggested Harlicks, but I'm kind of nervous about switching brands, and also paying so much money for something that's custom, and having it turn out to not fit right after all. I'm especially frustrated because summer is almost here and I have such a busy skating schedule in the summer and I don't want to have to break in new boots if I don't have to.

I will show my mom and coach all of your suggestions, and let you know what I decide to do.

Please continue with recommendations if you have any that you haven't shared. And thanks everyone!

Jalynne
06-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I have riedells and have had nothing but problems in the ankle area. It depends on your foot :?? unfortunately I have very boney ankles, they don't provide much comfort. I ordered custom Jackson Synchro boots :) , but I'm pretty sure you're not a synchro skater. My riedells are also VERY heavy, making it almost impossible to do any sort of a nice spiral. I wouldn't reccomend the riedells but, ofcourse it depends on the skater's foot.

jazzpants
06-04-2007, 07:32 PM
I went from stock Riedell Bronze Stars back a few years to my beautiful purple custom Harlicks and it was a GOD SEND for me!!! I have narrow ankles, wide toe box and pronate. The stock Riedells were much heavier than my custom Harlicks. There is more of a break-in period than with the Harlicks as well b/c of the very narrow toe box. Getting custom boots with orthotics made all the difference for me in being able to skate relatively painfree. :bow: (The purple leather that comes with the boots is just b/c I *CAN* get it! :twisted: :P )

I see that Riedell now has wider toe boxes now. But I think given the orthotics issue that I'm going to stick with the Harlicks. Besides, I'm in the Bay Area so I can go straight to the factory if I have boot problems. An added bonus: they also have a swatch of my purple leather in my folder and CAN order more of my Kool-Aid purple leather to make another pair of boots with. ;)

SynchroSk8r114
06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I have always worn customs. I'm working on my doubles and pre-gold dances. I actually just got my new, lightweight custom Harlicks and new blades today (~$800.00 with PSA discounts and all), which I absolutely love! I seriously skated in them the first time this afternoon and after about 20 minutes could land all my singles and axels and did a few spins. (I wasn't feeling quite brave enough to tackle any doubles or combo. and flying spins yet. Maybe next practice...;)).

I've always worn Harlicks and they've held up wonderfully. I acutally had my old pair for 8 years - they got my through my senior MIF, synchro, dance, and freestyle and I coach in them - so it wasn't like I wasn't in them enough! They're just made that well! The only reason I ended up replacing them is because the tongue was starting to break down (not the boot, even after all my skating) and the wood was starting to rot and I was having trouble keeping the screws in, but after 8 years, what do you expect? I ended up paying close to $1000.00 for them then and I totally got my money's worth!

Extremely comfortable, more so than shoes in fact, hahaha! :lol: I have a really skinny foot (AAAA front with AA heel), so they fit snug as...well, a boot! I'd look into them considering you're having heel problems/blistering.

Good luck! :D

TreSk8sAZ
06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I had custom Harlicks. They were okay, but they were HELL to break in. They also never completely fit my ankle area (I have quite thin ankles) and my heel would lift up, no matter how many times we played with the padding. I switched to custom Klinbeils (they're in the NY area) and I love them! Though there were some sore spots, a bit of lambswool did the trick. So much less of a break in time than with my Harlicks! (I got the second highest stiffness in my Harlicks, and the stiffest in Klinbiel b/c of my height, weight, and jumps)

Debbie S
06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
XO, I agree with the recommendation of Klingbeils, if you go the custom route, and since you're close to them, I would recommend going for a fitting in person. You'll need to call ahead of time and schedule an appt. I did that (about a year and a half ago) and was very satisfied with the boots and their service. They arrived in less time than they said, although they were a bit big and the heel was a bit high, but they fixed the problems quickly. I've since needed the tongues replaced and I sent them back with a note (and I also called) and they did it in a day (for free) - I was only without them for 3 days total - good thing, too, b/c after going back to my SP-Teris for one day in the interim, I couldn't imagine how I'd skated in them for 2 1/2 years, compared to how the Klingbeils fit.

I paid $630 for my Klingbeils - the basic price is $545, and then I got some add-ons that they charge extra for (I don't think they charge extra for all options, but they do for some) - lambswool tongues ($30), a flex notch at the ankles ($15), and a rolled top ($20). And $20 for shipping - obviously, if you pick them up in person, you won't need to pay shipping. :) And they ask lots of questions about your skating level (and frequency that you skate) and your problems with previous skates (I also took my then-current skates with me to the fitting) so they can make sure to give you the right level of stiffness and any modifications you might need. I don't remember a long break-in period. They punched the ankles out slightly for me, at my request, and I was probably doing all my jumps and spins after a couple days of skating in them.

I started out with Riedell rec-level skates (with blades attached) that took me through Basic 4 or 5. Then I got GAMs, b/c the pro shop I went to only stocked GAMs and Riedells, and the woman never really offered anything else (this shop now also stocks Jacksons, but I don't think they did at that time - it has new mgmt). The GAMs were way too narrow, and when I went to a much more knowledgeable fitter, I also learned they were too long (big) and the heels/soles on both boots were uneven, so when I thought I was on a flat, I was really on edges, and when I thought I was on certain edges, I was really flat, etc. I then got SP-Teris (the Super-Teri) which were way too stiff, plus they were really too narrow in the ball area (and I had that punched out a few times, too) and b/c they never broke in well, the tongue broke down and caused red marks and other pain across my ankles. I tried Jackson 2700s for a few days and they just didn't fit (too wide in the heel, but at that point, Jackson didn't offer a split width unless you essentially paid their custom price), and the fitter was unwilling to offer any alternatives so I returned them. I justified the price for my Klingbeils by reminding myself that my feet aren't growing anymore, so they'll last me a while - lol. And I'd thrown away more money than that on 2 pairs of "real" skates that didn't fit.

dbny
06-04-2007, 11:13 PM
I've been wearing custom Klingbeils for 6 years and have new ones in the making right now. In the past several years I've had some serious problems with my feet and the boots. I have been back for adjustments about 6 times, and the adjustments were free every time, and everyone in the shop was as pleasant as could be. Once, Don kept them overnight and rebuilt them, even taking another impression of my feet. Ultimately, I realized that I had lost so much weight since the boots were made, that I need smaller boots. I've considered Jacksons and custom Harlicks, but realized that if Don Klingbeil in person could not make my feet happy, why would someone a continent away be able to? Also, I was at Klingbeils when Don refunded the full price of new boots (with a smile) to a disgruntled customer. She was a noticeably crabby person, and I do not want to be like that, but if my new boots turn out to be lemons, I know that Don will either fix them, start over, or refund the full price. After that woman left, he said that she would never be happy with new boots because she had been skating in old boots for over 10 years and no new boots would feel right to her. I'm totally convinced that Klingbeil provides the best customer service in the world.

dbny
06-04-2007, 11:21 PM
PM me for info on where to get the absolutely best price on blades - if they have what you want in stock. Bring them to Klingbeil when you pick up your boots, and Don will mount them for you.

doubletoe
06-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I like my SP Teris but my coach said that she's heard horror stories about "custom" sp teris and getting sent two left feet, and people didn't like them. She suggested Harlicks, but I'm kind of nervous about switching brands, and also paying so much money for something that's custom, and having it turn out to not fit right after all. I'm especially frustrated because summer is almost here and I have such a busy skating schedule in the summer and I don't want to have to break in new boots if I Tdon't have to.

I will show my mom and coach all of your suggestions, and let you know what I decide to do.

Please continue with recommendations if you have any that you haven't shared. And thanks everyone!

I think the accuracy of the fit depends partially on the quality of the information you give them. Since you already have SP Teris, you have the advantage of being able to tell them exactly what size and width you are wearing now, and how the fit could be better. For example, I pointed out to George Spiteri that my current A-heel, B-ball width SP Teris were perfect in the heel, but pressed in just a little on the outside of my feet, so they made my new custom boots in-between B and C width. Also, my left foot is just a little longer than my right, so they gave me a size 6-1/2 in the right foot and 6-3/4 in the left foot. The fit of my new customs is absolutely perfect! :D

TashaKat
06-05-2007, 02:27 AM
I've had two pairs of custom Harlicks and LOVE them. They're easy to break in (the second pair were double duo bond) and the only skates that have never given me ouchies or wrecked my feet/ankles. They're so well made but you do need to get them fitted by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd definitely go for another pair of customs, they were the best investment that I'd ever made and didn't die as quickly as the other boots that I had.

looplover
06-05-2007, 05:41 AM

It is CRITICALLY important that you get measured properly and that requires somebody with a proven reputation in custom boots.

I second this - I was not measured properly for my first pair of Riedell custom boots and it caused a lot of headaches - I spent all this time wondering why I couldn't skate anymore (I had, after all, gotten custom boots that should fit!)! And in pain...then got remeasured by someone who was more experienced and I now have a great pair of custom boots. Which Riedell was nice enough to make quickly as a replacement for the first though the first pair wasn't their fault.

emma
06-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Yikes who fitted you for your boots? If you were fitted properly a stock boot of high quality should work for someone at your level unless you have really unusual foot issues that require custom boots. I would try going to another skate shop and really spend the time getting fitted properly before going the route of cutoms.

Petlover
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I have 8 year old custom Klingbeils, and they are fantastic! I believe I will get at least another few years out of them - I hope so, I love them!

phoenix
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
My custom Klingbeils are 3 1/2 years old & still going strong. I should get another 1-2 out of them, I think. Had the tongues replaced about 2 years ago.

liz_on_ice
06-05-2007, 01:06 PM

There was an extensive conversation on one of the boards last year about "custom boots" and those with inside information say that true custom boots are extremely rare. Most makers (from what we understand) use a standard last, do some build-up where needed, and turn out a "customized" boot. Apparently the days of the old European bootmakers have passed and almost no one knows how to do a boot from scratch anymore. You best bet, therefore, is if you can work directly with the factory, face to face, so they can rework the boots as required to suit your foot and your boot issues.

Klingbeil carves custom lasts for each skater. I don't think my feet are so strange I really need customs, but I'm lucky enough to live near by, so I treated myself to the star treatment. Bill measured me himself and the fit is really comfy.

-Liz

doubletoe
06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Yikes who fitted you for your boots? If you were fitted properly a stock boot of high quality should work for someone at your level unless you have really unusual foot issues that require custom boots. I would try going to another skate shop and really spend the time getting fitted properly before going the route of cutoms.

It sounds like her feet are wide in the front but narrow in the heel. While most boot mfrs carry mixed width stock boots, if the difference in width is more than one size (i.e., A heel, B ball), then you are required to buy customs. That's the reason I got customs this time.

dbny
06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
..............oops.............

southernsk8er
06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I have Klingbeils and love them. They are the only pair of boots I've had, but I would not switch. I can't say they were custom-made for me; they were made for another skater with a size 10.5 boot, but she decided she didn't want them. They happen to fit me perfectly. After 2 years, they're still stiff enough for me and my just-starting axel and doubles, but they didn't take long to break in. I've had absolutely no problems, and I'm hoping they will continue to last.

Verena
06-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi!
Does anybody know if custom boots are made in Europe too? What do people in europe do?
Also, I have the edmonton specials right now; yet, I have to change them soon and I am thinking of custom boots. However, I am worried about the weight. I hear that the graf boots are light compared to others. Does anybody know if the custom boots, e.g. Klingbeils, are heavier than the edmonton specials?

SynchroSk8r114
06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi!
Does anybody know if custom boots are made in Europe too? What do people in europe do?
Also, I have the edmonton specials right now; yet, I have to change them soon and I am thinking of custom boots. However, I am worried about the weight. I hear that the graf boots are light compared to others. Does anybody know if the custom boots, e.g. Klingbeils, are heavier than the edmonton specials?

I'm not sure about Klingbeils or Edmonton's, but I know that Harlick makes a lightweight boot (I just got mine and love 'em!), so I'm sure that if you inquired with the manufacturers, you might be able to get a lightweight boot in either brand.

I'm pretty sure that custom boots are made in Europe...not sure what brands though...

dbny
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Klingbeils are heavier than Grafs, but are now using a newer lighter weight padding, so the difference is not that much anymore.

altamaleskater
06-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Having been cursed with both wide & long feet, I had modified custom GAMs made for me and for almost $700 CDN, they are the best investment I've made in my skating. They give a lot more support to my ankles and the G3 blades are wider & have considerably bigger picks than my first pair.

Now, having said that, I can't suggest a particular make one way or the other as I have a bias here - LOL. Has your coach suggested anything in particular? She/he may be able to make some suggestions. Also is there a particular maker of skates that has served you well previously?

In addition I'd do what another poster suggested and make sure you are fitted properly for boots & blades. When I had mine fitted I went to a particular shop that had been highly recommended by other skaters and has served me well in the past.

So, you have to go with what works best for you. When in doubt I'd ask my coach or other skaters what worked for them, it might give you a better picture.

xofivebyfive
07-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Question: I'm thinking I might go with Klingbeils since the shop is only an hour away and I could go there and talk with them directly. Anyway, when I switched from my Riedell's to my Sp teris, the teris were amazingly lighter than the Riedells. Is that because I went from a beginnerish boot to a better boot, or is it just the brand? Because I love how lightweight they are. Are Klingbeils light too?

vesperholly
07-30-2007, 04:53 AM
I have Klingbeils because I have extremely wide feet and a high arch. They're pretty heavy, but they're also almost 3 years old, so they might have lightened them since then.

I think you ought to go with a combination width/heel unless you have truly bizarre feet. Customs aren't any better than stock boots. Most of the skaters who get their gold medals at my club, which is pretty big, are in stock boots. At your level, a good stock boot should cover your needs. You need a good fitter more than you need a custom boot. Are you near Ice House at all? I would imagine they would have an excellent skate shop.

xofivebyfive
07-30-2007, 09:05 AM
I have Klingbeils because I have extremely wide feet and a high arch. They're pretty heavy, but they're also almost 3 years old, so they might have lightened them since then.

I think you ought to go with a combination width/heel unless you have truly bizarre feet. Customs aren't any better than stock boots. Most of the skaters who get their gold medals at my club, which is pretty big, are in stock boots. At your level, a good stock boot should cover your needs. You need a good fitter more than you need a custom boot. Are you near Ice House at all? I would imagine they would have an excellent skate shop.
Oooh there's an idea. I'm only about 25 minutes away from there.

dbny
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Are Klingbeils light too?

I just got my new Klingbeils and they are noticeably lighter than my old ones.

coskater64
07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Harlick and SP Teri are very similar and Harlick has just come out with a lighter boot, I think the KT2 and KT3 from SP Teri are also pretty light. My Harlicks are heavy but not terribly so...my friend had Klingbeils and they were just a mess, 3 tries at getting them right didn't work and finally she gave up and went to SP Teri. I got custom SP Teri's got measured by George at Sectionals, they fit my cats, like AAAA in the front and AAAAAAA in the heel. I could not actually get my foot into the skate. Made them over A in the front AAA in the heel really heavy gave them to another skater who loved them. In the end, a custom product requires tweaking, don't expect it to be right the first time....:P

emkayy
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I just got Klingbeils and they are lighter than my current Riedells! They are amazinggg. Like half our rink has custom Klingbeils and we all adore them. If you can go directly there you should!!

RoaringSkates
07-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Sometimes you can get certain special features to stock boots, rather than full custom boots, and save a bit of money. For example, my Harlicks are semi-custom, in that they are basically the stock boot, but a combo width. I take a B at the heel, and a C in the toe box. I suspect you may need similar. I think you may be able to get away with a stock boot, but with a combo width, and perhaps some other special features. I also wonder if having a model of boot that's heat moldable won't fix your ankle fit issues?

The Ice House in Hackensack has a very good skate fitter, Jim. Another good fitter is Richie, who I believe is now at the Mennan Arena pro shop in Morristown. Call first and make an appointment, since both men have great reps and thus are extremely busy.

Isk8NYC
07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I just got my new Klingbeils and they are noticeably lighter than my old ones.
My new Klingbeils are about the same weight as my circa-2001 Klingbeils; maybe a half-pound HEAVIER.
That could also be because of the different blades. (Old=Patt99; New=Gold Seals.) *shrugs*

ETA: I wonder if my new skates are lighter because the boots are medium-strength Freestyle boots compared to my old extra-warmth "Instructor" boots? Hmmmmm....

I second the Jim @ Ice House (although he's hard to get an appt with and often makes you feel like he's doing you a favor. LOL) and Richie @ C&L in Mennen Arena. At Mennan, another great old-time fitter is Al, who is outstanding but you MUST have an appointment because he's not there a lot. (C&L fitted me for my first pair of figure skates, when they were the pro shop at the old Sky Rink in Manhattan.) I use/have used both Jim and Richie recently and highly recommend them both. Klingbeil's dealer sheet only shows C&L at Mennen, but both sell other brands of customs and semi-customs.

You might also want to check out Joe Delecki at Eastern Ice Sports in Summit, NJ (Beacon Hill Club.) Don't let anyone else do the fitting there - he's outstanding and unique. I don't *think* he sells/fits Klingbeils anymore, but he does do SP-Teri and Harlick customs.

Whatever you do, make an appointment beforehand with the right person. Too many of my students have been fitted improperly by well-meaning salespeople who didn't know what they were doing.

SkatingOnClouds
07-31-2007, 04:12 AM
.. In the end, a custom product requires tweaking, don't expect it to be right the first time....:P

8O 8O 8O I thought the whole point of these self-moulding sock thingies, intricate, exact measurements, photos etc, and the extra money was so the boot would fit right, first time. It worries me that I could go to all that expense and extra time involved to get custom boots and still end up with something that required didn't fit right.

I guess it isn't such as issue if you live close to a factory, but I live on the other side of the world. Sending skates back and forwards from Australia to USA is expensive (if you don't want to wait up to 6 months one way by sea mail). I would be 'spitting chips' if I had to send them back for 'tweaking'.

Is this a common experience, having to send custom boots back for adjustments?8O

techskater
07-31-2007, 07:49 AM
It really depends on your fitter. My boots have always been perfect the first time and I attribute it to my fitter.

RoaringSkates
07-31-2007, 11:04 AM
It really depends on your fitter. My boots have always been perfect the first time and I attribute it to my fitter.

Mine, although not custom, were perfect right off after the heat molding, again due to my pro. I'd gone in thinking I needed SP-Teri due to my wide forefoot. Richie took one look at my feet and recommended semi-custom Harlicks. I was surprised, but willing to try, and he was right.

flo
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I just sold my custom Harlicks. After years of perfect fits, they didn't fit and I couldn't wear them. I sent them back, and nothing improved. The young girl who got them tried them on - with my old phantom blades (she has pattern 99), and went out and did an axel.
I'm glad they made someone's feet happy!

xofivebyfive
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Just made an appointment for tomorrow with Richie, since I have a lesson and will be there anyway. Thanks guys.