View Full Version : Bright Eyed or Sleepy-Head, Practice June 4 to 10

Rusty Blades
06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Oh I could have slept in this morning SOOOO easily! But I didn't

Sleepy-Head: Being over 50 SUCKS BIG TIME! And 3 days off the ice doesn’t help :?? I was actually more stiff than after skating 3 days in a row. Gawd, I must be the world’s slowest learner! At least what God didn’t give me in natural talent He made up for in pure stubbornness! :frus:

Can’t say anything was working particularly well today :roll: 3-turns weren’t even close, couldn’t get spins centred, back OXs weren’t happening

Bright-Eyed: .... the only thing positive today was a 2-foot hop on to a RBO landing that actually STUCK! 8O 8O 8O (Anybody watching would think I knew what I was doing). Oh, the other positive thing is it is a day off for me and I am off to see a dietician to discuss my dietary needs. And I had the ice to myself today - that’s nice to.

Hope tomorrow is more productive than today..... :roll:

Team Arthritis
06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
BRIGHT EYED - I'm Back! back surgery went well, skated 4 times last week but after each skate I was so tired I had to lay down for 30 min, LOL, and all I was doing were simple moves - its all that trying to have good posture stuff that kills me - I'm a natural slouch.

Lyle - who really will be Pre-Bronze for life in FS as I'm not allowed to jump or lift up pretty girls ever ever ever again, sigh.

sceptique
06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
That's is such a right title for my this week's practice!

Yesterday my rink shift finished at midnight, I got home at 1 am and was on ice at 7 am.... same story tonight: got a late shift and morning practice again tomorrow. 8O
I may get a bit of lay-in on Thursday, but then I'll need to do a night shift again and be at Manchester rink (1.5 hr drive) at 6:30 am....
Then 9 am LTS on Saturday & Sunday
Then 8 am skating camp on Monday....
Then..........

Welcome to "Zombies on Ice" experience!

xofivebyfive
06-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Bright Eyes- I had a MITF lesson today and everything went pretty well. After, I did a couple of laybacks and they were really nice.

Petlover
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Bright Eyes - at my club banquet yesterday, I was given the Club Sportsperson of the Year award! In no way did I ever expect that honor! Always before, it has gone to one of the skating kids, not a 50+ AOSS skater. Several people congratulated me and said that they wanted to recognize my neverending support and encouragement for everyone I skate with. Hey, that's what makes it fun!

Sleepy - can't be anything bad after yesterday! I may never stop smiling :)

dbny
06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Sleepy-Head: .........Can’t say anything was working particularly well today :roll: 3-turns weren’t even close, couldn’t get spins centred, back OXs weren’t happening

Sleepy indeed, I do believe you mean "XO's" :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Bright Eyes - at my club banquet yesterday, I was given the Club Sportsperson of the Year award! In no way did I ever expect that honor! Always before, it has gone to one of the skating kids, not a 50+ AOSS skater. Several people congratulated me and said that they wanted to recognize my neverending support and encouragement for everyone I skate with. Hey, that's what makes it fun!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Team Arthritis - Woo Hoo! Welcome back to the ice!

Sleepy-Head:
Got myself up early today to prepare for Thursday, when I have to work from 9-11 AM. After working nights for 15 years, I am still not a morning person even though it's been 5 years since I retired! Anyway, I wanted to get to the rink and practice, but being tired and seeing the ongoing downpour outside, I decided to stay in until I have to work this evening. At least I did get up.

One foot spin is not what it used to be because my body has forgotten (in a lousy 2 weeks) to automatically tighten up in the middle. FI threes are now more stable on L than R. The L was pronating too much, but now it's the R that is doing it, leading me to suspect that the problem is not so much my foot or my boot, as my technique.

Bright-Eyed:
Nothing very significant, but in my lesson on Friday, my coach agreed that my Prelim power threes are getting a bit faster. The BXO's in them are complete, which is something that used to fall by the wayside in trying to do the BI Choctaw. BI Choctaw is now feeling natural on both sides. One foot spin is at least responding to conscious commands. On an empty public session last Thurs, an adult skater more accomplished than I complimented me on the smoothness of my B cross strokes, although they felt rather shaky to me. Told DH, and he said that I do have good flow on them.

I have a new method for practicing FO threes. I stand on a line about 5 feet from the boards, push off onto FO edge with back strongly to center of circle. Rotate slowly just before returning to line close to boards, and turn on line. Try :lol: to continue circle on BI edge as if I were skating figures. One advantage is that I can see myself in the glass at the boards, and another is that it seems to prevent my swinging into the turn.

Morgail
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Bright-Eyed:
-Moves were all good, except for back power pulls. I worked extra hard on the back cross rolls and they are coming along decently.
-I did two good sit-change-sit spins at the end of the session. One even had about 2 1/2 revolutions on the back sit:)
-Salchow - is getting much better out of a mohawk when I remember to bend my knee
-Lutz - I can do the whole revolution now!!! Of course it's two-footed and really slow, but it's a whole rev which is better than the 1/2 lutzes I'd been doing. This was the highlight of my skating session today:D

Sleepy Head:
-Camel spin. I don't know where that went today (esp after they were going so well last week).
-Back power pulls....ugghhh
-Flip wasn't consistent at all. I think I try to do too many of these. Usually the first two or three are good and then they go downhill. Maybe I should just leave them alone after the first few:frus:
-my program. I couldn't get through it today. Either there were too many people in the way or I messed up the steps or chickened out on the flip or I lost my timing in the music. It wasn't pretty.

Rusty Blades
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Sleepy indeed, I do believe you mean "XO's"

Smart a@@!

Congrats Petlover - WAY TO GO!

Good to hear you are back at it Lyle. What's with this "lay down for 30 minutes"? I feel like that after EVERY session - what's the big deal ;) Hey, if you're not allowed to "lift up pretty girls", I'll volunteer 8O :roll: If that doesn't work, I'll lift YOU **giggle**

doubletoe
06-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Team Arthritis, welcome back!! :D
Petlover, congratulations! You must really be an inspiration to everyone around you to receive an award like that! :bow:

jskater49
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Bright Eyed:

I really had a work out today - two half hour lessons and two hours of skating!

First lesson with moves/dance coach - we worked on mohawks AGAIN. I'm making some progress - she says they are looking more even - my bad side is almost as good as my so-called good side (which isn't all that good) but I'm getting better at holding the edge before changing feet.

Then we went over the Swing dance...to do something different and it has the mohawk on the foot I don't like...usually I start that dance with a 3 turn but I said, let's go ahead and start with the mohawk, since it's the same as the end pattern. It's no where near a dance ...but just more experience doing a mohawk at some sort of speed.

Freestyle lesson - coach was very pleased with my free style program...it works out really well - I end with a two foot spin and she has me wait before raising my arms above my head and says that makes a nice ending so I bring them up for the last few revolutions and then bring them down to the end of the music.

Sleepy eyed - she says my hands look funny - I need to try to keep my fingers close together for a "softer" look...hey I figure if everything else looks good enough that she's griping about my hands, this is a good thing.

This time I jumped for my toe loop after my waltz, but not the waltz! Still working on getting that swinging motion, I tend to bring my leg back then just kind of stop instead of kicking through.

Also worked on turning my toe out more for both back spiral and back swing rolls in my spin program.

I was so tired by the time we worked on my jumps program I took a fall doing a toe loop. I rush the 3 turn and need to work on stretching all the way out before turning.

Bright eyed- we had a bout 2 minutes left of my lesson and we worked on holding my leg in different attitude positions and arm positions, was kind of fun.

j

SynchroSk8r114
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Sleepy headed:Breaking in new lightweight, custom Harlicks. Love, love, love them...but yes, took a bit to get used to them on the ice. I literally couldn't balance at first thanks to a new blade, but within 20 minutes I was fine. Ran through all my singles, only attempted scratch and back spin, hahaha! Not pushing my luck today. Maybe Wednesday I'll do some sit-change-sits, flying camels, combo. spins, etc. Only complaint is that I need to get two spots near my pinky toe punched out next time I go up, but I'll survive until then! 8-)

Bright-eyed: Despite breaking in these new boots, I landed several axels. Not quite brave enough to tackle my doubles yet, but Wednesday for sure! Hey, I'm still adjusting here... ;) Coaches are out of town this week, so it's the perfect time to start breaking them in!

looplover
06-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Sleepy - can't be anything bad after yesterday! I may never stop smiling :)

You totally deserve it!!!!! You couldn't be more supportive and encouraging of everyone :D :bow:

Bright eyes: sit spin is back, it's back! Please, sit spin, do not leave me again. I will stalk you.

Sleepy: Back spin is consistent! Consistently bad! :twisted:
Have not flipped in weeks. Gotta do that next time, I have a mental flip thing.

Petlover
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Bright Eyes: Coach fixed the transition problem in my Artistic program from the falling leaf to the lunge. Hey, I can actually do a lunge, which has not been the case for most of my skating years!

Sleepy: I tripped over the same small piece bad ice 3 times this morning! Coach almost passed out laughing, and I was laughing right along with her - much better then crying.

Team Arthritis
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Smart a@@!

Good to hear you are back at it Lyle. What's with this "lay down for 30 minutes"? I feel like that after EVERY session - what's the big deal ;) Hey, if you're not allowed to "lift up pretty girls", I'll volunteer 8O :roll: If that doesn't work, I'll lift YOU **giggle**

ROTFLOL - DOn't drop me!!!
Lyle

Rusty Blades
06-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Sleepy Head!: Something I ate disagreed with me :?? I went to bed after supper last night with an awful tummy ache (at 7:30!), slept through my ‘skating alarm’ (4:00 a.m.), and didn’t wake up until 5:15, still with a belly ache. I SERIOUSLY considered canceling my skating session and staying in bed but I had a business meeting afterward that took weeks to set up so, even though I should probably NOT have been driving (can you say “space cadet”! 8O ), off I went.

I was 30 minutes late but on the ice at my regular time (7 a.m.). Being foggy-headed, I expected the session to be a waste and part of it was - spins were hopeless, back cross-overs weren’t happening, neither were deep BO edges, and I didn’t dare try any of the “pre-jump exercises” (too disoriented)

Bright Eyed???? - not hardly but a few things worked not too badly - RFO3s were closer than yesterday, I was getting the twist for LFO3s (at the boards), RBI3s were on the horizon, but I didn’t have the balance to try LBI3s.

I managed 45 minutes on the ice before calling it quits and heading for my meeting in another town. Fortunately the meeting went well and I was feeling a little better after a bite to eat. Back home to catch some more sleep and hopefully the effects of the food poisoning will be gone in about 24 hours.

(Don't worry Lyle, I haven't dropped anybody yet! Of course I haven't lifted anybody either ;) )

singerskates
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Sleepy-Head: Being over 50 SUCKS BIG TIME! And 3 days off the ice doesn’t help :?? I was actually more stiff than after skating 3 days in a row. Gawd, I must be the world’s slowest learner! At least what God didn’t give me in natural talent He made up for in pure stubbornness! :frus:

Can’t say anything was working particularly well today :roll: 3-turns weren’t even close, couldn’t get spins centred, back OXs weren’t happening

Bright-Eyed: .... the only thing positive today was a 2-foot hop on to a RBO landing that actually STUCK! 8O 8O 8O (Anybody watching would think I knew what I was doing). Oh, the other positive thing is it is a day off for me and I am off to see a dietician to discuss my dietary needs. And I had the ice to myself today - that’s nice to.

Hope tomorrow is more productive than today..... :roll:

Are you having trouble with the ice being softer than on what you're use to skating too? It's a surreal feeling skating on soft ice after being on hard hockey ice the rest of the year. It takes a while to get use to it.

singerskates

Skittl1321
06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Sleepy Head No skating for me. In a who knows how I did it injury I think I've pinched a nerve. I woke up in the middle of the night, moved, and now I can't turn my head without shooting pain in my back. So tonight's lesson is canceled. I didn't give the coach 24 hours, so he sounded annoyed when I called. Um- still getting paid because of the late notice- sorry I didn't injure myself on a more convienent time schedule.

This is like my 10th injury that has kept me off the ice this year. I am not amused.

doubletoe
06-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Sleepy Head - This morning was MIF day, and it seemed as though I had to attempt every pattern 10 times before I could get all the way through it once! It's so frustrating when you keep having to abort a pattern to avoid a collision with some kid who hasn't figured out that you're on a pattern. Sigh. It didn't make for a terribly productive morning.
I was also stiff as a board when I tried to stretch after skating. I wasn't able to skate at all over the weekend, which means I didn't stretch either. It's just amazing how this tight 40+ body "snaps back" so quickly. . . to being tight and inflexible! :roll:
Bright-eyed (desperately searching for something positive here) - Got kudos from my coach for finally cleaning, re-waterproofing and removing the tape from my soon-to-be-retired skates. "I wouldn't have recognized them," he explained to one of the skating moms, "Last week they looked like they'd just come back from Iraq!" BTW, I only cleaned them up because I figured I'd use them until I come home from the Ice House camp, where I might want to get them autographed by someone without embarrassing myself. ;)

jazzpants
06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Bright Eyed:

Let's see.. saw someone from one of the other skating boards that I haven't seen in quite a while. (He skates at my rink but not at the times that I usually skate.) :D
I think I'm starting to squat lower on the back squat spin. There's hope yet to turn this into a back sit!!! :lol: :PSleepy Eyed:

Flips and loops are barely there... and only at sloooow speeds. Can't do them at all at faster speeds. :frus:
WAAAAAY too crowded to do straightline footwork or any jumps at speed (given that I jump the opposite direction, it can be QUITE scary for me to do any jumps w/o possibly getting busted by the ice guard, even though in today's ice guard's case... he's a buddy and knows of my skating situation and tries to be nice about it by occasionally do a "10 minute CW skating direction" skate so I can get my jump practices in with the flow of traffic. :bow: :lol: )
Camel not there last night. :cry:

Clare
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM

Unfortunately, I mistook the 'Off' button for the 'Snooze' one so went nowhere near the rink this morning :frus:

So, my Bright-Eyed will have to be tomorrow morning...

Clare

FrankR
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
These past few weeks my skating has been neither bright eyed nor sleepy-headed. I'd say I've been narcoleptic, in general. :lol: For just about any element, I'm either hitting it cold or I have a spectacular miss. Many of those spectacular misses involve a bone-jarring crash. :cry: On the plus side, when I get things right they feel really good. So go figure.

jazzpants
06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
These past few weeks my skating has been neither bright eyed nor sleepy-headed. I'd say I've been narcoleptic, in general. :lol: For just about any element, I'm either hitting it cold or I have a spectacular miss. Many of those spectacular misses involve a bone-jarring crash. :cry: On the plus side, when I get things right they feel really good. So go figure.
Hey! At least you're not "sleep-skating" like I am when I take a lesson with my secondary coach!!! :P :lol:

Unfortunately, I mistook the 'Off' button for the 'Snooze' one so went nowhere near the rink this morning :frus:

So, my Bright-Eyed will have to be tomorrow morning...
Now I'm getting nervous about tomorrow morning's lesson for me... I TEND to do the same with MY alarm clock too! 8O :lol:

ETA: This is me on the mornings of my lesson with secondary coach: ==> http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/g060.gif

Terri C
06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Bright Eyed:
Spins are starting to see some improvement. I can feel where my right leg is holding back on the sitspin and when I get it just right, the spin feels so nice and easy, with a nicely streched out free leg compared to before when I thought I'd have to have my rosary at the boards. According to coach my angle is now at 120 degrees, just need to get 30 degrees lower to get to the "legal sitspin."
We also worked on cleaning up my salchow today.

Sleepy Head:
No time for flip on lesson today!! WAAA!

tidesong
06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Bright eyed: rink has opened up more days for skating because hockey is FINALLY taking their summer break

Axel and double salchow seem to be ok as usual...
Landed a few double loop suspects... hahaha

Worked on crossovers in a nearly empty rinK!!! :O:O:O I don't know where everyone went but the rink cleared up (for once) so I asked my coach to help with that teeheehee

Sleepy head:
Double toe loop ... not even a single suspect :(
Spins... uh need more practise... more more more

chowskates
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Worked on crossovers in a nearly empty rinK!!! :O:O:O I don't know where everyone went but the rink cleared up (for once) so I asked my coach to help with that teeheehee

Oh cool, you managed to catch an empty time?!!

I haven't skated since Sunday, will go tonight to jostle with the crowd... argh!!

Morgail
06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Bright-Eyed:
-last program run-through was nearly perfect (I botched the flip)
-cross-rolls, both forward and backward:)
-flip: except for the messed up one in my program, it was on tonight
-sit-change-sit: after some tweaks from my coach, this spin was really spinning!

Sleepy Head:
-all the Silver Moves except for cross rolls and spirals were especially hard tonight
-camel - worked hard on the arms for this and it just started to come together with the last few I did (and I did a lot)
-I was gliding forward (verrrrry slowly) watching my coach demonstrate something and wham! I fell backwards out of nowhere. Didn't even realize what was happening until I was down. I have matching eggs on my elbows and what will probably be a huge bruise on my behind tommorow. The falls out of nowhere always seem to be the ones that hurt the most.

Rusty Blades
06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Are you having trouble with the ice being softer than on what you're use to skating too? It's a surreal feeling skating on soft ice after being on hard hockey ice the rest of the year. It takes a while to get use to it.

OH I WISH!

I absolutely LOVE the speed and deep edges you can get on proper "figure skating ice"!!!!! Everything feels so much smoother on softer ice and a flood on figures ice leaves it smooth as glass.

In my 16 months skating I have yet to experience proper figure skating ice - it is ALWAYS "hockey ice" (colder and harder) with ruts and gouges that haven't filled in properly because the ice is too cold to flood nicely.

At the Adult Championships in March, I just about cried when I stepped onto the competition venue for my event and found @$#%$@!# hockey ice!!!! I couldn't believe that even Skate Canada has forgotten what figure skating ice is supposed to be like. It was a terrible disappointment! It was also so very sad to see at least one adult do a belly flop because of ruts in the ice at a National competition! Even for Stars on Ice (in Winnipeg) they gave them hockey ice and more than one of the pros did a face plant due to the rough hard ice! Figure skating has truly become "a poor country cousin" to hockey :cry:

Am I raving? You bet! If I ever win a multi-million dollar lottery, there will at least be ONE rink with proper ice 'cause I'll buy one and make it "figure skating only". The ice will be at the proper temperature and any Zamboni driver that leaves the ice with any ruts or bumps will be fired on the spot! 8O

Sessy
06-06-2007, 06:58 AM
I did a layback on the spin trainer yesterday! Only 2 revolutions but I didn't tumble backwards... :lol:

We have hockey ice at our home rink, because our hockey club are/is the Dutch champions. I know of a rink that has figure skating ice, but frankly I don't like it for jumps. For spins it feels great though. I think hard ice breeds more precision though. I have to be very careful about the way I sit down into my hydroblades at our home rink, because else my blade looses grip and sort of skids across the ice surface, very nasty. At soft ice rinks, the edge digs in and you won't skid, so less precision is needed. It's not just the hydroblades, it's like that with all the edges. And also I notice that I have to be very careful at soft ice rinks with what I do. When I do my edges the way I'm used to doing them on hard ice, they end up being too deep. Especially the 3-turns and such over-rotate compared to hard-ice. You need to push harder on hard ice.

Anyway I like hard ice better, it's less forgiving. And you don't get the feel of sagging into the ice sort of. But for spins, soft ice is marvellous!

Rusty Blades
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Sleepy Head:I have been struggling with 3-turns for WEEKS with no apparent progress. I figured the problem must be that I am not hitting a good axis or not holding the axis through the one foot turn but not sure which/why so in warm-up/practice before coach arrived I was experimenting with the turns at the boards - little forward motion, just trying to make the turn and remain stable throughout. I was still feeling pretty punk from the toxins in my system but did manage to figure out that it wasn't lack of core strength but simply a matter of finding the axis and holding it strong through the turn, though my whole body. By the time my coach arrived, I had pretty much figured it out.....

Bright Eyed: ... and managed to do a few descent RFO3's WITH A WITNESS! Ok, left 3's and inside 3's weren't happening yet, but it's a start! I even managed to get the back cross-overs going in one direction (CW) so that's two major achievements in one day! (Not too shabby for still being kind of groggy). Based on this "new knowledge", I just HAVE to get in another session tomorrow (before it all leaks out on the ground and disappears again - LOL!)

Petlover
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Bright Eyed: I ran through my spotlight program twice, and my artistic program once with Coach this morning, and she was pleased. Spotlight is a lot of fun, I'm skating to Maniac from Flashdance.

Sleepy: My back spiral is still off and on, so Coach pretty much begged me to take it out of my Artistic for now, we can put it back in when it is absolutely consistent. Since she showed me some beautiful body line edges to replace it with, I am okay with it. I will keep working on the back spiral though, it will not defeat me!

Team Arthritis
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Skittl - I know the feeling - I still wonder what brings this on! Similar pains with my hip - ortho says the bursa sack gets inflamed and then pinches when I try to move it after stretching, sigh, tough to ice the groin.

Soft Ice - I've gotten where I like harder ice for deep edges when skating fast otherwise I go moooosh right onto my rear. OTOH, I can only do recognizable rockers on soft ice.

Lyle

CanadianAdult
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Nice to see you back again Lyle!

Bright Eyed:
I got my toe loop figured out again, it's my dependable-do-without-thinking jump and I started to think about it a couple of weeks ago so it just went on vacation. I'm happy it's back. I'll quit thinking. That's what my old coach used to say "check your brain at the door before stepping on the ice." Too true.

Sleepy-Head:
I've been skating lately at a rink that has no boards. It's a really nice complex with a dedicated figure skating rink, to chime in on the ice discussion, the ice is awful for what they spent on the place, it melts on one end, but generally it is very soft. I skate mostly at a rink that is rock hard and flooded maybe every three hours so even the awful ice is wonderful, but it's quite difficult swapping back and forth. Anyway, back to no boards. I'm doing a skills exercise and got too close to the edge. If it was a hockey rink I'd put my hands out and bounce off the boards. Ohmygawd, no boards! So I go running off the edge of the rink, hop back on, hop off until I've got my balance and then go back on the exercise. I had to stop, I was laughing too hard :P Maybe I checked too much of my brain at the door for that one!

Rusty Blades
06-06-2007, 06:19 PM
.... a really nice complex with a dedicated figure skating rink ...

DROOOOOOOL!

WannabeS8r
06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I did a layback on the spin trainer yesterday! Only 2 revolutions but I didn't tumble backwards... :lol:

We have hockey ice at our home rink, because our hockey club are/is the Dutch champions. I know of a rink that has figure skating ice, but frankly I don't like it for jumps. For spins it feels great though. I think hard ice breeds more precision though. I have to be very careful about the way I sit down into my hydroblades at our home rink, because else my blade looses grip and sort of skids across the ice surface, very nasty. At soft ice rinks, the edge digs in and you won't skid, so less precision is needed. It's not just the hydroblades, it's like that with all the edges. And also I notice that I have to be very careful at soft ice rinks with what I do. When I do my edges the way I'm used to doing them on hard ice, they end up being too deep. Especially the 3-turns and such over-rotate compared to hard-ice. You need to push harder on hard ice.

Anyway I like hard ice better, it's less forgiving. And you don't get the feel of sagging into the ice sort of. But for spins, soft ice is marvellous!

I've never heard anyone mention it like that before! I always used to think that soft ice is better for jumping because it allows more spring to the toe pick. I like... medium ice, I guess? :lol:

SynchroSk8r114
06-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Sleepy headed: I didn't land any double salchows despite the fact that I was all gung-ho about landing them in my new skates. :x I was getting pretty frustrated, but I kept trying to remind myself that I'm still breaking in new boots. (This is only my second day in them, so...I guess it's not as bad as I'm making it out...) Although I'm not sure how much I should blame on the boot or how much was me just not jumping correctly. Oh well! Better luck Friday...;)

Bright-eyed: Landed more axels in my new boots, so yay for me! My dances were also pretty strong. I think the Starlight isn't going to be nearly as bad as some people say...and the Paso? Well, it just plain rocked! :D

Sessy
06-06-2007, 08:24 PM
I've never heard anyone mention it like that before! I always used to think that soft ice is better for jumping because it allows more spring to the toe pick. I like... medium ice, I guess? :lol:

I can't really say why, but somehow it's easier to cut a near-straight line while on an edge on hard ice, which I like for the picking jumps better than the deep edges (which are good for the edge jumps, but then I get more speed on hard ice, which is good for the jumps in general). Maybe it's just that I'm very used to hard ice.

Emberchyld
06-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Skittl - I know the feeling - I still wonder what brings this on! Similar pains with my hip - ortho says the bursa sack gets inflamed and then pinches when I try to move it after stretching, sigh, tough to ice the groin.

Add me to the injury club... between trying to avoid doing too much to aggravate my neck muscles (I can almooooossst turn it all the way to the left again), a nasty chest cold that hasn't gone away, and constant bursitis, I've only been able to regularly get on the ice once a week for my lesson.

Talk about being Sleepy eyed: I whacked at my alarm and overslept this morning instead of going to freestyle. But judging from the overall feeling of exhaustion, my cough, and ache in my neck, maybe my body is trying to tell me something!

(btw, there are some great, gentle hip stretches that, combined with an anti-inflammatory regimen of advil and rest, can reduce bursitis. My fave? Get thee to a high bench or table. Lay on your back and let the mostly-straight leg with the bursitis-ridden hang off of the side of the bench. bend your other knee and bring it to your chest-- and try to keep your hips flat and even against the bench surface. You should feel the stretch right in that achey bursitis area. Hold for 20-30 seconds and then repeat. Tight muscles are a major trigger for bursitis, so the more stretching that you can do to loosen up the area, the better, too!)

renatele
06-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Add me to the injury club... between trying to avoid doing too much to aggravate my neck muscles (I can almooooossst turn it all the way to the left again), a nasty chest cold that hasn't gone away, and constant bursitis, I've only been able to regularly get on the ice once a week for my lesson.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that all of this is still bothering you...

I don't have to tell you to take care of that neck though, do I? Even though it's "just" a strain, don't ignore it once it feels better. Do the strengthening exercises, it's important (and you know how I know that... ;) ).

momsk8er
06-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Bright-eyed - my coach had me working on half flip and half lutz this week, and my half flip is pretty good. I don't think I ever learned a half lutz before, so that was interesting. Still having trouble remembering which way to jump! Which is weird, because of course I jump the same way on everything, righ? Maybe improving my half jumps will help me land a loop, which has been my goal for about 30 years. lol.

Sleepy-head - my spin entry comes and goes. If I have a good entry my spins are nice, fast, and steady. But last night I started skidding them again, and that usually means my skates need sharpening. But I only sharpened them about 3 weeks ago. Maybe I'm pulling my weight around too fast, I know I have that problem a lot.

Rusty Blades
06-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Sleepy Head: Ok, who stole my @$#%$ RFO3??!! It was there yesterday and today, there it was - GONE! Maybe the skating fairy slept in and didn't sprinkle the 3-turn dust in my boot today 8O

Bright Eyed: But, you know what? It didn't bother me. I just reminded myself why I do this and settled in to have some fun with back edges and to play with all the other forward 3-turns (none of which I can do yet but all of which are getting better).

It was day 4 of 4-in-a-row so now it is 3 days off. Maybe I can actually fit in some off-ice conditioning this week. Next week is back XOs, 2 foot and 1 foot spins (to stay on schedule) - a break from 3-turns might be a good idea :roll:

Somebody else start thinking up a title for next week! I am NOT going to start next week's practice thread (unless I have a really spectacular Monday morning session - what's the odds of THAT - LOL!)

Team Arthritis
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
(btw, there are some great, gentle hip stretches that, combined with an anti-inflammatory regimen of advil and rest, can reduce bursitis. My fave? Get thee to a high bench or table. Lay on your back and let the mostly-straight leg with the bursitis-ridden hang off of the side of the bench. bend your other knee and bring it to your chest-- and try to keep your hips flat and even against the bench surface. You should feel the stretch right in that achey bursitis area. Hold for 20-30 seconds and then repeat. Tight muscles are a major trigger for bursitis, so the more stretching that you can do to loosen up the area, the better, too!)
Gotta try this but sounds like you need a table to lay on. This hip is definately the more closed one and just like you said its adduction and internal rotation when flexed that is the worst! (no more happy baby for a while!)

So my PT buddy wants me to do the "fallen underwear drill" to strengthen abductors (mainly gluteus medius): Theraband loop around ankles side step around room upright with knee locked and then again bent at 60 degrees - keep toes front - no external rotation allowed!

Lyle

Scarlett
06-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Bright Eyed - Landed 3 out of 3 loops today. One foot spin was centered nicely today.

Sleepy Head - Fell hard on a ...wait for it...wait for it...waltz jump. :roll:
New meds are throwing off my balance. While my spins were centered, I was completely disoriented coming out of them. Hopefully my body will adjust.

jenlyon60
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
My off-ice trainer has me do that one but without knees locked, toes facing forward but with some external rotation so knees facing slightly outwards. He calls it the "monster walk"

So my PT buddy wants me to do the "fallen underwear drill" to strengthen abductors (mainly gluteus medius): Theraband loop around ankles side step around room upright with knee locked and then again bent at 60 degrees - keep toes front - no external rotation allowed!

Lyle

tidesong
06-07-2007, 09:04 PM
This is crazy well I was really a sleepyhead yesterday... I wanted to go zz while on the ice...
but...
bright eyed:
got a few pretty nice double salchows... others were mediocre, coach got me to do them from higher speeds which initially went ok and some were pretty fun like wheeeeeeeeeeeeee but as I got faster my nerves started trying to strangle me ...

sleepyhead:
double loop was after the nerve wrecking high speed double salchows so my nerves didn't want to settle down and I just couldn't :(

not sure what:
worked on beilmann spin and change edge back sit... plenty of work to be done but its cool to work on them
worked on ina bauer too!!! Maybe I might get an outside edge ina bauer one day after all... got maybe a lil step closer to one last night...

singerskates
06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
OH I WISH!

I absolutely LOVE the speed and deep edges you can get on proper "figure skating ice"!!!!! Everything feels so much smoother on softer ice and a flood on figures ice leaves it smooth as glass.

In my 16 months skating I have yet to experience proper figure skating ice - it is ALWAYS "hockey ice" (colder and harder) with ruts and gouges that haven't filled in properly because the ice is too cold to flood nicely.

At the Adult Championships in March, I just about cried when I stepped onto the competition venue for my event and found @$#%$@!# hockey ice!!!! I couldn't believe that even Skate Canada has forgotten what figure skating ice is supposed to be like. It was a terrible disappointment! It was also so very sad to see at least one adult do a belly flop because of ruts in the ice at a National competition! Even for Stars on Ice (in Winnipeg) they gave them hockey ice and more than one of the pros did a face plant due to the rough hard ice! Figure skating has truly become "a poor country cousin" to hockey :cry:

Am I raving? You bet! If I ever win a multi-million dollar lottery, there will at least be ONE rink with proper ice 'cause I'll buy one and make it "figure skating only". The ice will be at the proper temperature and any Zamboni driver that leaves the ice with any ruts or bumps will be fired on the spot! 8O

On Tuesday, our ice was so soft that I could not stay standing in one place without my blades creating a rut when standing on the ice teaching. I'm actually use to skating on hockey ice but I'd rather have ice that is somewhere in between on what I have now and the hockey ice I usually have to skate. When the ice is really soft, we also have condensation falling from the ceiling which creates lovely hills on the ice. This usually happens every summer.

singerskates
06-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Today I was a total sleepy head. Here's the story. I came down with a sinuse infection that went to my ears and throat and went on biaxin. But 5 days after being off of it, the infection came back even worse than before. Now my middle ear is affected too. I was so wacked out and sleepy today that it took me most of the day to get the strength to take myself to the doctor's office. He put me on a different anti-biotic and gave me more Advil Cold and Sinuse and Ventilin. It was early this morning that I called the head coach to tell her that I wasn't going to be there to CanSkate coaching/PAing or do my own skating.

Tuesday I only got to do 13 minutes of my own skating out of the 2 hours I was there. Last Sunday, I got 6 minutes to work on my own skating and had to work with other skaters; StarSkaters, CanSkaters and Pre-Hockey skaters. I wonder how things went today since I wasn't there to coach and PA?

Here's hoping I feel better for Sunday's sessions, June 10th.

singerskates

Rob Dean
06-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Bright eyed: I'm signed up to skate with my coach in a pro-am in the DC area on Sunday. My cha cha is OK, so I'm ready for that.

Sleepy Head: I can't make the turn on the fiesta tango consistently...

Deer in the headlights: ...and I'm signed up to skate it with my coach in a pro-am in the DC area on Sunday. 8O It's also a very busy weekend at my house, with one son graudating from high school tomorrow and visitors in, so there's not much chance of getting in any ice time after today. Any anti-panic strategies would be welcome--coach is convinced that this is difficult for me because I think it is, and that feeling has been getting worse, not better, as this event looms up.

Rob

SynchroSk8r114
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Sleepy headed: Still breaking in my new boots...yes, I'm realizing the more I'm in them that I need to get two spots punched out on both skates when I go back in 4 weeks to get the rest of my screws up in, etc., etc.

Rotated, but didn't land any double salchows. Grr...oh well, I guess I'm still adjusting somewhat to my new blades (better rock!). As frustrated as I'm getting I kept trying to remind myself that today was only my 3rd time skating in them...

Bright-eyed: Landed all my axels and they were very nice and high. (I guess that's one of the benefits of my lightweight boots...;)). Also got around to actually spinning today, but I only worked the basics, such as sit-change-sit and camel spin. I'm definitely spinning better with my new blades, so I'm happy. Still wasn't feeling quite used to my skates enough to try any flying camels, but next week for sure.

Finally, my dances were good for the second day in a row. Starlight has a lot of speed/flow and the Paso is just so powerful. I love it! :D

Clare
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Bright-Eyed:
- Beautiful ice this morning, just perfect, like a lemonade ice lolly :)
- The back crossovers made an appearance, in both directions. I was so happy, I almost cried (with joy, this time!!)
- Forward Inside Edges were faster and stronger than ever this morning, even the Outsides are finally feeling better

Sleepy Head:
- Inside to Outside change of edge...messy due to lack of a decent rise and fall in the knee and I also still have a tendency to flap my arms on the right foot or, as my coach describes it "swimming isn't going to change edge for you!"
- The patch session was so quiet I could have stayed another hour. Damn work getting in the way again!

Clare

Bill_S
06-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Bright Eyed: Got to skate for the first time in 2 months! I had to take someone to the airport in Columbus, so I tossed my skates and a sweatshirt into the car.

Sleepy-head: Well, as I expected, after 2 months off I've gotten VERY rusty. Spins started coming back toward the end of the session, found some brackets, but the rink was too crowded to do much MIF.

What amazed me is that the rink had freestyle all day long, and they had TWO sheets of ice for figure skating.

I discovered that there were two sheets after I heard program music playing occasionally from the other side. I first thought that the hockey guys had mellowed, but I later looked and found it was a second sheet for freestyle. Imagine that!

CanadianAdult
06-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Bright Eyed: Got to skate for the first time in 2 months! I had to take someone to the airport in Columbus, so I tossed my skates and a sweatshirt into the car.

What amazed me is that the rink had freestyle all day long, and they had TWO sheets of ice for figure skating.

Mental note: must go visit relatives in Ohio

Bright Eyed
Uh, nothing. How about that all my skating bills are paid up to date. I like the summer lull, I feel rich. Most of the year I'm scrambling to pay this fee or that.

Sleepy-Head
Change edges. I do them in my dreams, I can FEEL where my arms and legs are all supposed to be. It doesn't translate onto the ice and got even worse when I was in a lesson. So, I'm going to pick up some ice today and get some more practice. Simple skating is the hardest.

skatergal
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Bright eyed - got the spin back, yeah! didn't have to sharpen the skates to stop the skidding, had to get my weight further back on my blade during the 3 turn! yahoo!

Sleepy-head - back 3 turns, why do I feel like a total clutz!

Scarlett
06-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Joined a group lesson for the summer. Just needed a change of pace.

Bright Eyed - Apparently loops are consistent from the 3-turn entry. I'm not quite sure when that happened. Began working on them from a different entry.

Sleepy-Head - My class is a weird combination of skills. For the most part we fit but one girl obviously does not. It really splits the instructors attention.

Sit spins - Yeachh :frus:

Terri C
06-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Bright Eyed:
Still making progress on the spin repair. Forward scratch on lesson today was sooo nice and centered and I couldn't help but ask myself where the #$% were these spins when I tested three weeks ago or so. Sitspin is not legally low enough yet, but am told that I'm making the effort to get it there
Forward crosstrokes and power pulls were not bad either.

Sleepy Head:
Had a nasty fall on of all stupid things, a half lutz. Hit a hole in ice caused by another skater's double lutz when I landed forward and fell right onto my right knee and elbow. Have a nice strawberry on right knee now, along with a bit of swelling.

LilJen
06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Bright Eyed:

I'm walking! Well, just barely scuffling along. It's nearly 6 weeks since I massacred my ankle in 2 places & got it stitched & welded together (5 screws and a plate; someone said "sounds like a band name" and I replied, "How about we rename our synchro team--average age probably 55 or so--Five Screws and a Plate?" Dr allowed me on Wednesday to start putting weight on the injured ankle. It's sore, sore, sore, but after 4 days I can in fact put all my weight on it without pain. My coach greeted me today--I went to the ice show as a spectator rather than a participant--with "Hey, Crip."

Sleepy-Headed:

Actually BENDING the ankle is another matter entirely. A good amount of pain depending on the degree and direction. I suspect it will be several weeks until I feel solid enough to take a gander at skating. I feel rather out of shape. I am actually looking forward to getting to the gym to build back up my stamina and strength.

icedancer2
06-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Mostly sleepy head: It's a strange transitional period at our rinks - it's a week before the kids get out of school, there are competitions coming up, tests, etc., the ice is down at the rink where I usually go to a dance session and my coach is threatening to retire (again) after the competition at our main rink next week.

The skating itself is about as good as it could be considering my broken and torqued foot of 4 months ago - turns still feel uncomfortable, I am nervous about stepping after turns (or that darn Power 3s to the right and 5-step mohawk step forward onto the previously broken foot), but so what else is new?

Hopefully will start lessons with dance coach again next week - but my primary coach - who knows? Maybe she will just take the summer off (she's done this before) and I look at it as a time when I can save money...

Bright-eyed? - Well, I like going to tests and competitions and see what all the adults and kids are doing. There are a lot of dancers competing and it seems that more and more of the young kids in the area are getting into dance and so that is great!

Oh, because of my foot I can't do any dances solo if there are turns (okay, anything beyond the preliminaries, LOL -) so I've made up my own steps so that I can do all of the other dances going forward only - combining the mens and ladies steps and making them into all forward dances! A friend from the rink (who is also injured, actually), thought I should tour the country teaching these "new dances for injured/aging ice-dancers" - could be the start of a whole new career!!

doubletoe
06-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Bright Eyed:

I'm walking! Well, just barely scuffling along. It's nearly 6 weeks since I massacred my ankle in 2 places & got it stitched & welded together (5 screws and a plate; someone said "sounds like a band name" and I replied, "How about we rename our synchro team--average age probably 55 or so--Five Screws and a Plate?" Dr allowed me on Wednesday to start putting weight on the injured ankle. It's sore, sore, sore, but after 4 days I can in fact put all my weight on it without pain. My coach greeted me today--I went to the ice show as a spectator rather than a participant--with "Hey, Crip."

Sleepy-Headed:

Actually BENDING the ankle is another matter entirely. A good amount of pain depending on the degree and direction. I suspect it will be several weeks until I feel solid enough to take a gander at skating. I feel rather out of shape. I am actually looking forward to getting to the gym to build back up my stamina and strength.

LilJen, I love your positive attitude and sense of humor! You represent all that is good (and a little insane) about adult skating! Wishing you a rapid recovery and a happy--and safe--return to the ice. :)

jenlyon60
06-10-2007, 04:30 AM
this is probably a little late, but my best advice is to try and relax and let your coach present you very well. If your coach is who I think she is, she is very experienced at doing the Pro-Am with her students.

You will do fine today!

My biggest Pro-Am concern is will there be any more unforeseen issues at the facility today. 2nd to that is standing up, keeping my feet together on turns, and surviving 2 patterns of the Open European Waltz, 2 1/2 or almost 3 weeks after I got cleared to skate again after finishing rehab from my knee surgery. It went well (at least for 1 pattern at a time) in practice Friday afternoon. How well it goes this morning on the 2nd pattern is anyone's guess.

Bright eyed: I'm signed up to skate with my coach in a pro-am in the DC area on Sunday. My cha cha is OK, so I'm ready for that.

Sleepy Head: I can't make the turn on the fiesta tango consistently...

Deer in the headlights: ...and I'm signed up to skate it with my coach in a pro-am in the DC area on Sunday. 8O It's also a very busy weekend at my house, with one son graudating from high school tomorrow and visitors in, so there's not much chance of getting in any ice time after today. Any anti-panic strategies would be welcome--coach is convinced that this is difficult for me because I think it is, and that feeling has been getting worse, not better, as this event looms up.

Rob

chowskates
06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm taking too long to get over jet lag! So...

Sleepy head in the morning:
Lesson on Friday morning, I was really half asleep... and it was really a waste of lesson.

Bright eyed at night:
Many of my evening sessions were spent trying out the spins and spirals... and they were fun!

This afternoon, I also had one "almost" double loop.
This is the one jump I really can't tell how far I have rotated! Most of the time I try to looking at the tracings, and often I have another less-than-half-but-more-than-a-quarter rev to go. The "almost" one felt it got around farther, and I could glide backwards when I landed... but I couldn't find the tracing! :roll:

sk8pics
06-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Bright Eyed:

I'm walking! Well, just barely scuffling along.

Hey, congrats! You sound like you're doing very well! Have you started PT yet? Make sure your surgeon sends you!

I myself have only 4 more PT sessions left!:D On Friday, I stood on my bad leg (ankle) on a foam pad and tossed a 2 lb ball at this trampoline backboard and caught it 20 times without losing my balance!8-) My physical therapist was pleased and a little surprised. I feel like Caine on that old TV show Kung Fu: "time for you to leave." Anyway, last week was the first time I could feel all the little muscles in my foot and ankle able to engage and correct my balance. It's a very exciting thing!

LilJen
06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
LilJen, I love your positive attitude and sense of humor! You represent all that is good (and a little insane) about adult skating! Wishing you a rapid recovery and a happy--and safe--return to the ice.

Indeed! A therapist could make a mint off us--only we don't wish to be cured of the insanity!

Hey, congrats! You sound like you're doing very well! Have you started PT yet? Make sure your surgeon sends you!

I myself have only 4 more PT sessions left! On Friday, I stood on my bad leg (ankle) on a foam pad and tossed a 2 lb ball at this trampoline backboard and caught it 20 times without losing my balance! My physical therapist was pleased and a little surprised. I feel like Caine on that old TV show Kung Fu: "time for you to leave." Anyway, last week was the first time I could feel all the little muscles in my foot and ankle able to engage and correct my balance. It's a very exciting thing!

Congrats back at you, sk8pics! That's wonderful news. I asked my dr about PT and he wrote a non-dated order saying, "If you really don't feel like you're improving after a week or two, then go." A bit odd, but whatever. I'm going back to my post-ankle sprain exercises of last fall--balancing on the foot, pressing in each direction and such--and we'll see how it goes.

sk8pics
06-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it seems like a lot of surgeons don't really care much about PT. But I know it helped me a lot, and you might want to go try it anyway and see if it helps or if they show you new exercises. They really helped me with stretching for range of motion. After this second surgery, I could see a visible decrease in swelling after the first PT session. I'll be glad to be done, though!

peanutskates
06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
bright-eyed: went skating after more than 2 weeks off! forward spin is so much better, and I managed to do a slow, but actual, backspin.
loop entry is beginning to work.
can already do a teapot in these unbendable skates.

sleepy-head: was breaking in new skates. I have suspicions that my toeloop, although it feels ok, is still a toe waltz. also have suspicions that I shouldn't be doing a toeloop on brand new skates.
salchow is still flightless. I've got the entry, I've got the exit, but the jump is missing.
spiral really needs to be higher.

something to wake up the sleepy-head: our rink now has a loud foghorn type noise to announce the end of a session. Argh!!

and something cute, though not deserved: little girl: "are you professional?"

hahaha!! professional 8O

one guy here who is about the same level as me has a wonderful waltz jump. gghhh. gotta practise.

tidesong
06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
bright eyed:
yay sunday evening rink is open for a while so I get to practise in nice quiet rink
tried a few double salchows from high speed and managed one or two? It felt kinda wierd though I have some odd bad new habit my legs feel a bit sluggish in jumps recently...

Still I decided to focus on my sit spins with their change of edge thing

Managed ONE more than one round outside edge forward sit spin and ONE more than two round inside edge back sit spin... ok... maybe I'm getting some progress.. a friend noted that I was falling too far back on my inside edge back sit so I concentrated very hard to keep my cg in the same place on that plane between forwards and backwards... and it worked for one amazing attempt!!! It didnt wanna work after that though :( Gotta try more

also chow reminded me about the back sit and knee butt rule so I was trying them lower too and I think I didn't manage them perfect yet but its not totally impossible to get low and change that is something I realized...

I still can't get more than a few rounds on that split spin thing .... wierd oh well...

Can't believe that I didnt have time to work on beilman either in the end...managed one attempt and some spiral positions before they were doing the ice for the night

sleepy-head:

some really underorrated double loops and not a single double toe loop underrotated or not... and but yeah well I decided to focus on spins and I did...

Rob Dean
06-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Bright eyed: I made it though the pro-am event yesterday without falling down, which was really all that I was hoping for. My coach was pleased with me, but I have admit that my legs were wobbling. This competition business is not going to come easily to me. :?? However, it's done and I did what I could, so I can go back to skating at low pressure for a few weeks until testing starts to loom. :) I also got in some unexpected practice yesterday afternoon: After giving me a hard time about pressing him to be ready on time, my son arrived at the rink yesterday without his skates. I'm on duty for that session (for which he usually gets to skate free), so without his skates (and with mine) we had to swap jobs, so that I got to practice while he made change. :) That'll reinforce the learning process, and I don't think we'll see a recurrence of the missing skates anytime soon...

Rob

jskater49
06-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Very Sleepy eyed

So I signed up for Learn to Skate again and decided to take freestyle 1. First day - Sunday night at 6:15 - when did I leave Quad Cities after a 4 day competition, 6 am practice and freestyle competition? About 2:30. How long of a drive is it? 3 hours. So we drove right to the rink. DD had to teach LTS

Bright eyed Guess who's teaching my freestyle learn to skate that I'm paying $60 for 5 weeks??? My very same $55 an hour coach!!! Whoo hoo!

Tonight they were short some coaches and there was only one freestyle student so they combined my class with these two adorable basic 8 girls. I was fine with doing basic 8 stuff. Forward outside 3 turns? No problem...but then ...uh oh...

INSIDE 3 TURNS! I don't believe I have attempted an inside 3 turn for oh maybe 4 years? I managed to do one on my left leg - which is my preferred turning direction - right leg - could not do it. How embarrassing. :oops: Back many years ago when consectutive 3 turns were on the adult pre-bronze test I could actually do the inside better than outside. This is what lack of practice leads to.

Guess I better work on those.

Then the little girls begged to do waltz jumps and I can always use work on those. In basic 8 you do those from a t stop which I found extremely difficult. Good for me though, because that does make you hold the edge and tend to rush this jump. Toward the end I went back to doing them from a back crossover.

j

jenlyon60
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Rob was too modest about his Pro-Am debut performance.

Bright-Eyed Hospitality at Pro-Am generally went well. The only major hiccups were out of our control (Rink had plumbing problems on Saturday).

Sleepy-Head: Knee isn't ready to spend a weekend going up and down stairs working hospitality, followed by trying to compete the Open European Waltz. Survived the practice ice. Got on for event warm-up and the further I got in the warm-up, the more the knee hurt. I was afraid I would re-injure it or injure some other body part, so I said to coach that it was a no-go. We skated over to the referee and I withdrew.

Knee is still very sore and achy 24 hours later, after lots of ice and Advil and BioFreeze.

jazzpants
06-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Bright Eyed:

Well, still working on my program from Sunday but I think we're close to finishing the program.
Also gave primary coach my music for my interp program. Well, I never thought I would say this but after the session primary coach says that I can wear TROUSER/PANTS for this number!!! :twisted: (I might do it. I might not still.)
Primary coach asked if he thinks I'm up for two upbeat FASTER programs this year. I said "Well, what other choices do I have? You already shot down one of my other choices!!!" (Turns out he HATES the American Idol number I had in mind and one of his other skaters is doing Enya...) He then says "Nah! I think you're more suited for faster numbers!" YAAAAAY!!! (Note: Another BIG goal I've been trying to reach is to be able to skate fast enough where I have the option of skating faster numbers. WOW!!! HUGE compliment for me!!! 8O )
Primary coach confirmed again that I definitely have a back-sit and we're going to do a backsit-attitude combo!!! YAAAAAY!!!Sleepy Head:

Still no camel in position during my lesson. I did a couple of good ones about a half hour before my lesson too!!! GRRRR!!! :evil: :frus:
We're still working on the entrance to go into my footwork sequence. (I needed more speed to go into it or the bigger lobes he wants for my footwork ain't gonna happen!!!) New entrance number #3 to try this week.
No lesson with Primary coach 'til the 21st!!! He is booked this week and has other plans for the next couple of Sundays.