View Full Version : Hackensack Roll Call

soniaissuper
06-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Hello All...

For the life of me I can't find any Hackensack posts (I know they exist). Anywho...a friend of mine and myself are planning to go. Will any of you cool kids be there? I am sure I'll be the most novice skater there but I'll bring sure to dish some spunk!

S

Scarlett
06-04-2007, 06:11 AM
I'll be there. My application is going in the mail today. Nothing like procrastinating.

DallasSkater
06-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Also look in the thread called Adult Skating camps ...a few pages back!

FLskater
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Ok, maybe you guys can help me decide. I've been skating around 5 years or so, most of that only once a week, never tested, slow learner. Just did a basic skills competition as adult pre-bronze (came in last :cry: ), although I still haven't really been able to do a waltz jump or half flip from any kind of speed whatsoever. Had some nasty falls a few years back doing bunny hops, so there's a mental block there, too.

2 friends of mine are going, & are pressuring me to go, too. They are both doing the competitive track. One has several jumps & spins, tested pre-bronze, & is much younger than me. Other skated when she was younger, can't really jump, but after only around 6months can do beautiful scratch spins, sit spins, trying the camel spin now. I'm still struggling w/a one-ft spin!

My husband is encouraging me to go. Part of me wants to, the other part of me is petrified that I'd be too nervous around these skating greats, & will fall all over myself. The other part is that at the young age of 40, we are trying to have a baby, & if I had my way, I'd be pregnant by then, which means there is no way I'd even attempt any type of jump or spin. We have been trying for a year, so the thought of putting it off another month at my age is not an option! To top it off, I'm on meds to try to get pg, which make me dizzy - even a simple front to back turn can disorient me now. As much as I love skating, I'm running out of time, & really want a baby now!

So I'm debating - do I go or not, do I just scale it back to the recreational track, not competitve? I'd love to hear from some that have been there before.

Thanks, & sorry for the novel!

Debbie S
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, I've never been to the camp, and I'm not going this year, but my take on your situation is....the camp will be there in future years (OK, there's always the chance it won't, you never know) and it sounds like you have a different set of priorities now. But in a few years, you may have the time, and will be further along in your skating skills, and at that point, you'll really want to go to the camp, w/o any doubts. And even if you can't do the Hackensack camp, there will be other camps and/or comps that you'll be able to take advantage of. If you're feeling that ambivalent, and given what your life situation is right now, I'd say your gut instinct is right that you should skip it this year. I would if I were in your situation....just my thoughts.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Personally, I'm not going b/c I don't feel the camp is worth the money. I'd rather put the money into my own ice time and lessons with my own coaches, and testing and such.

jazzpants
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
FLSkater: If you are taking meds that may affect your center of balance, I would say be careful. I probably would go with either "not going" or the recreational track if you are going.

Sadly, I wanted to go this year given that Morosov is there this year (and, of course, I've always wanted to meet FrankR one of these centuries! :P ) But I just don't have the money. (Turns out whatever I did save up for Lake Placid ended up going towards front break pads for my car... and the rear break pads aren't that far behind, I'm sure. :frus: Geez, I guess I drove too much into the city, huh? 8O )

Emberchyld
06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm going! *waves* And this year, I should be able to keep upright most of the time!

FLskater, if it makes you feel any better about the camp, I went last year on the recreational track with no jumps, no spins, barely any x-overs... and loved it, and learned a lot. The big thing about the camp (if you do go) is to be vocal about what you can't do-- most of the instructors were happy to adapt some parts of the lessons for those of us who weren't at the same level as the others. (just remember to speak up! If your group is too high-level, let someone know)

But I agree with Debbie S and Jazzpants-- if you really don't feel comfortable going this year, the camp will be there next year. But if you do want to go, know that the camp organizers really do a great job of making sure that you get the most out of the experience, whatever your level.

I think the best part about the camp is spending 2 days around fellow adults from all over the country who have been there, skate amazingly, and understand the wierd compulsion that drives us "grown ups" into a "kids" sport. It was really inspiring.

BelleBway
06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Sent in my application Friday- would love to meet anyone who won't laugh at me. ;) I signed up for recreational cause I can't jump or spin yet- I can do crossovers (forwards, backwards, and forward power crossovers) halfway decently and am working on 3 turns and mohawks. I've tried a 2 foot spin... but my attempts are pretty sad.

The scariest thing for me is that I've been getting tons of good comments at my rink by people who have seen how much I've improved since I started taking private lessons this past fall. However, everyone at the camp will have no such comparison as their reference, so I feel like I will look really bad.

But what is life without taking some risks at things that may seem scary?

kander
06-04-2007, 06:10 PM
FLSkater: If you are taking meds that may affect your center of balance, I would say be careful. I probably would go with either "not going" or the recreational track if you are going.

Sadly, I wanted to go this year given that Morosov is there this year (and, of course, I've always wanted to meet FrankR one of these centuries! :P ) But I just don't have the money. (Turns out whatever I did save up for Lake Placid ended up going towards front break pads for my car... and the rear break pads aren't that far behind, I'm sure. :frus: Geez, I guess I drove too much into the city, huh? 8O )

Hi Jazz! Did you ever consider Fred Flintstone brakes? :lol:

jazzpants
06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi Jazz! Did you ever consider Fred Flintstone brakes? :lol:Yeah, I have...but then my feet would hurt so much that I wouldn't be able to skate or do my gym workouts afterwards!!! :lol:

ETA: YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOO!!!!!

DallasSkater
06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Awwwe Belle: Anyone who would laugh would not exactly be worth meeting anyway! Congrats for all your progress! I have a feeling you will find more support than you are expecting.

Interesting that so many have the fear of comparision and performance from other adults. I even had the thought of what if I am the worst one there for mine too.....but had to pull into perspective that I have already exceeded the skill level that I ever thought I would reach when I started. I also considered that I don't typically respond to people who are judgmental of me for other things..I am just too old to care anymore...The planet is full of wonderful and supportive people...sometimes you just have to weed through!

Flskater: I think the go with your gut is good advice. Fertility issues can be highly stressful and frustrating. I bet your husband just wants you to keep life in focus while you go through the process. It is important to remember your partner too though. The stress is not just for the female! People forget that it effects the guy too. Could not hurt to check out if maybe he needs a month to defocus the pressure and was hoping to do that with you in a more equitable way. I wish you much success with baby making! And the skating!

FLskater
06-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Debbie S, my current coach is saying the same thing you did about putting my $$ towards ice time & lessons w/her.

My younger friend just called & is still trying to convince me to go. She thinks I'm just making up ridiculous excuses. But I'm really thinking I'd be better off, for now, with the coach that I know & feel comfortable around.

DallasSkater, thanks for the luck - I really need it!!

To all who are going - have a great time!! Maybe I'll catch up with you in a couple of years....

badaxel
06-05-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm not going.:cry: Mostly because we are in the middle of buying a house. You all would not believe how much houses and taxes are here in Westchester, NY. But, I will still be here in Manhattan, and would love to get together with anyone who is coming in early or leaving late. Maybe we can arrange a meetup, Isk8NYC? Have a great time to those who are going! I'll probably be there next year!

skatingatty
06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
After a lot of waffling back and forth and changes in plans, I am going to the camp!!! :) My fellow skating-addicted friend Coreen will also be going. We're going to meet up in the DC area and carpool up to NJ together on Friday afternoon. I can't wait. I signed up for the competitive track, although I don't plan on competing much for the next year, and I only skate once a week at most now. Coreen is focusing on ice dance. We look forward to meeting everyone there.

NoVa Sk8r
06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
My fellow skating-addicted friend Coreen will also be going. We're going to meet up in the DC area and carpool up to NJ together on Friday afternoon. ... Coreen is focusing on ice dance. We look forward to meeting everyone there.She should do the pairs track. 8-) I've not seen her very recently, but her ice dancing has been looking really good! Have fun at camp.

After a 3-year hiatus, maybe I'll return next year.

Kelli
06-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm going, competitive freestyle track. I'm the one who looks like I'm barely old enough to be there!

FrankR
06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

I'll be attending the camp. I sent in my form on Monday. How's that for procrastination?? My home club hosts this event every year and I always wait until the last mintue to send in my application. Tsk, tsk!! In any case, I will probably be working the registration table on Friday afternoon as usual. It'll be great to see some of you guys again and meet up with people I haven't had the chance to meet yet.

Frank

doubletoe
06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi all,

I'll be attending the camp. I sent in my form on Monday. How's that for procrastination?? My home club hosts this event every year and I always wait until the last mintue to send in my application. Tsk, tsk!! In any case, I will probably be working the registration table on Friday afternoon as usual. It'll be great to see some of you guys again and meet up with people I haven't had the chance to meet yet.

Frank

Looking forward to seeing you there! :D I wonder if we can request a double toeloop workshop! :lol:

FrankR
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing you there! :D I wonder if we can request a double toeloop workshop! :lol:

LOL!! :lol: It's funny you should mention this. I stated quite clearly on my application that I toe-axel. I will definitely mention this to the instructors when we get to our jump classes. I almost feel like there should be a support group for people like me. We'll call it Toe-Axels Anonymous..."The first step is to admit that you have a toe axel...;) "

Ice T
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I will be there with my best friend, Flutzilla. We are both doing the competitive track. I have never done the camp before and so I chose to do it this year rather than AN. We thought we would have more fun doing a camp rather than competing. When I finished writing out the checks to pay for the camp and air fare, I thought "what have I done???" Yeah...it is expensive! But compare it to AN where you only get 2 minutes on the ice, and at the camp we will be on the ice all day with lessons from incredible accomplished skaters and coaches. I think it will be WAY fun!! Plus, I am hoping I will learn some things to make me a better skater so I can reach my goals. And as in every thing else in life, there is always going to be someone better than you, and you will always be better than someone else. So it all works out just fine in the end. Others inspire you, and you inspire others. We are going there to have fun and learn how to be better skaters, so don't be concerned about what you can or cannot do. That is why we are going to camp, right? Well....that and the opportunity to see John Zimmerman again. :P

doubletoe
06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
That is why we are going to camp, right? Well....that and the opportunity to see John Zimmerman again. :P

ROFLMAO! :lol: Poor Silvia Fontana must get so tired of watching a bunch of 30-50 year old women drool over her husband. . . so I'll try to be discreet if you will. ;)

jazzpants
06-06-2007, 06:18 PM
ROFLMAO! :lol: Poor Silvia Fontana must get so tired of watching a bunch of 30-50 year old women drool over her husband. . . so I'll try to be discreet if you will. ;)I'm pretty sure there are some male skaters who are also drooling over Silvia too! (Are you reading this, kander???) :twisted: :P :lol:

Kelli
06-06-2007, 06:38 PM
LOL!! :lol: It's funny you should mention this. I stated quite clearly on my application that I toe-axel. I will definitely mention this to the instructors when we get to our jump classes. I almost feel like there should be a support group for people like me. We'll call it Toe-Axels Anonymous..."The first step is to admit that you have a toe axel...;) "

I for one would fully support an entire class dedicated to double toes! I don't toe-axel (I think), but I usually wimp out on the double part of the jump...

skatingatty
06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
After a 3-year hiatus, maybe I'll return next year.

Darn, you're not going? What about Looploop?

We don't plan to get there until Friday night, so I can't have my program critiqued by Morosov for $80. :) See you all that Saturday, bright & early!

soniaissuper
06-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Frank R as a fellow procrastinator all I can say is this...Procrastinators are the Leaders of Tomorrow! :) After reading all of these replies I am jazzed but certain I will be the most beginner.

S

NoVa Sk8r
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Darn, you're not going? What about Looploop?

We don't plan to get there until Friday night, so I can't have my program critiqued by Morosov for $80. :) See you all that Saturday, bright & early!I'm barely skating these days. And anyway, the senior member of my group at work is retiring on June 29, and we are all going out to dinner. (I *hope* to get her position and hopefully a ~10% pay raise; in any event, I get her large office. 8-) )

LoopLoop is not going to the camp, either.

Ice T
06-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey gang,

For those of you who have been before, are there any particular items (i.e., clothing, mats, etc.) that I will need for the camp? I am flying in, so I need to travel light, but want to make sure I bring what I need.

Thanks!

Ice T

FrankR
06-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey gang,

For those of you who have been before, are there any particular items (i.e., clothing, mats, etc.) that I will need for the camp? I am flying in, so I need to travel light, but want to make sure I bring what I need.

Thanks!

Ice T

Hey there,

Bring whatever clothing you would normally wear for practice. Our rinks tend to be a bit chilly so it would be a good idea to bring at least one warm-up jacket. I often find it helpful to dress in layers so that I can remove layers as I get warm. I wouldn't think that there is a need to bring a mat for our classes.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Frank

Ice T
06-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Thank you!! :D

newskaker5
06-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I'll be there too- very excited! BTW, anyone know what the off ice classes are or what we will be doing in them - this is the part I am looking forward to the most since I dont know what I should be doing off ice haha

Emberchyld
06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I agree with FrankR... bring a warm-up jacket (and pants for the ladies who wear skirts)-- it can be REALLY chilly at the rink, esp in the mornings. At my other rinks, I skate in t's and tanks, but I rarely get out of my jacket during morning freestyles (esp in Rink 1).

If off-ice is like last year, you'll want to bring a good pair of sneakers (for off-ice jumps and general warming up if you feel like it) and make sure that you have maybe a nice comfy pair of socks, yoga shoes, jazz shoes, or ballet slippers for the stretch and ballet/dance classes (I dance, so I brought my ballet slippers, but I wouldn't go out and buy anything special if you don't have any on hand... even sneakers would work in a pinch.)

Again, if off-ice is like last year for recreational (and they do change it up, so don't take my word for it!), there's a very basic ballet barre/floor barre class, a stretch/slightly pilates-esque class, an off-ice jumps class-- sneakers are good here... and I can't remember if there was anything else-- I need to check. And layers definitely help in these classes, because you can get REALLY hot in the fitness center after being in the meat locker rink.

I'm going to bring a few snacks and a water bottle this year-- last year I came out of the camp ravenous from all of the calorie burning (but there are shops within short driving distance, including a Target, so you don't have to lug any of that with you. The rink also has a snack bar)!

BelleBway
06-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Here's another question I have... do I really need to get there in time for the reception/check in on the first day? I'd prefer not to have to cut out of work early on Friday if it's not necessary.

Stormy
06-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Here's another question I have... do I really need to get there in time for the reception/check in on the first day? I'd prefer not to have to cut out of work early on Friday if it's not necessary.

Good question, what time does it start?

Ice T
06-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Emberchyld! This was very helpful. I would not have known to bring my ballet shoes, so thanks for telling me. I am from Florida and in the summer time, it gets really warm in my rink. So it's good to know to bring some warmer stuff.

Scarlett
06-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Last year, I got I got stuck in traffic on the Jersey Turnpike (surprise, surprise). Anywho I missed Friday night check in. The staff was great checking in us slackers who showed up on Saturday morning. They even pointed me to where I could get coffee.

HelenC
06-27-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm driving in with a friend from Brooklyn. What time should we be there on Saturday morning?
Thanks!

RoaringSkates
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Belle, this is Garr from FSU:

I don't think you really need to be there at all on Friday, if it's a hardship. I'm planning to go on Saturday morning, extra early, since I'm not available Friday afternoon. Friday, unless you have a choreo session, seemed to be just to pick up your packet, which they've told me can be done on Saturday.

Helen, I think it starts on Saturday at 8am. I can't find my forms right now, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

It does begin quite promptly. They don't waste time, for which I'm grateful. So gauge your arrival time accordingly.

Isk8NYC
06-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Schedule from the Ice House website:

FRIDAY: Check in and Reception 4:00pm-6:00pm; Program Choreography/Critique Sessions 2:00pm-6:00pm

SATURDAY: Check in and Reception 7:00pm-8:00pm; Introduction 8:00am; On Ice and Off Ice Instruction 8:00am-6:00pm

SUNDAY: On Ice and Off Ice Instruction 8:00am-3:00pm; Question & Answer Period 3:00pm-4:00pm

HelenC
06-27-2007, 06:28 PM
I called the Ice House and left a message, and Craig was very nice to call back. On Saturday morning, registration starts at 7:00 am, instructor introductions at 8:00 am, and the first seminars start at 8:30 am.

BelleBway
06-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I may try to get there in time for check in Friday... just cause that means I can have an excuse to leave work early. (and I also wouldn't mind sleeping a few extra minutes Sat morning!) But at least I know not to sweat it. :)

newskaker5
06-28-2007, 07:11 PM
When you check in, do you need to bring anything with you, like ID or anything?

Stormy
06-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Driving down this afternoon! Safe travels and see you all there!! :D

Ice T
07-02-2007, 07:11 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW! What an AMAZING time I had!! :bow:

Thank you so much everyone for the tips about what to bring and what to expect!!

I really look forward to going back there again!!