View Full Version : Do skaters have to be at any perticular level to quilify to be Skating Doubles? l

FSWer
06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Say,I was just wondering... I'm sure it's problily better to be a Senior. But does anyone know if you nesacerlly HAVE to be at that level, or if there are ANY KIND of level reqirements needed for a skater to become a Skating Double? Just courious.

TreSk8sAZ
06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Skating doubles, as in a double for an ice skater in a movie?

Generally, you need to look like the actual actor. Though that can be changed digitally, generally having the same body type as the actor is a good idea. It also depends on the jumps that are needed for the movie, and who the director knows. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Senior level skater if the movie only requires double jumps. Often Disney or the touring shows require a minimum jump and certain moves rather than a certain test level, and some of those may become a skating double in a movie.

I'm assuming that's the question you're asking. The term "Skating Doubles" could have a few different meanings. Hope I've answered your question!

Sessy
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I think FSW means pairs.

Clarice
06-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't. FSWer has asked questions frequently in the past both about pair skating and about skating doubles in movies, and if he says "skating doubles" I'm pretty sure he's referring to people working in motion pictures. FSWer, looks like you need to be a little more specific about what you mean. :)

Assuming you mean the movies, though, I would think that how skilled the skater needs to be would depend on the character they're supposed to be in the movie. If the character is supposed to be going to the Olympics, you'd need a more advanced skating double than if the character is just supposed to be learning how to skate (of course, then maybe the actor could do their own skating!).

FSWer
06-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes,in a movie.

rlichtefeld
06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I've had two friends skate as "double" in movies.

One was the double for D.B. Sweeney in "The Cutting Edge". Since the character was supposed to be skating at the Senior level, the double was a Senior level skater.

I have another friend who was the double for Winona Ryder in "Autumn in New York". The producers went to all the local rinks in New York and looked for adults that were about the same size and shape. Since the character was not supposed to know how to skate all that well, they went with a Bronze level adult.

Both, of these roles were more by accident than them looking to be a double. You could maybe sign up with a Stunt Double company. Or, if you hear about a skating movie coming up, then contact the producers.

Rob

kander
06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes,in a movie.

Generally they use high level skaters. If you live in L.A. your chances of being "discovered" would be a lot higher.

Kevin