View Full Version : Skating in Lake Placid

DallasSkater
06-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Since several of you have skated in Lake Placid, I was wondering about a few things and thought you might have some insights and experiences that might help.

I am concerned about vacation weight and wonder if the rink will have any healthy options available onsite. I am thinking about bringing a cooler with me but hate to waste precious suit case space. Also wondering about the typical temp of rink, either warm or cold, since it effects what I will bring to skate in.

Any one have any must do's while in Lake Placid or favorite restaurants? Any other insights about the area or the rinks? As much as I love vacations, the pre and post stuff to do is not so fun!

phoenix
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM
My blurred rememberance of the snack bar was of not healthy foods. I was so nervous all I could bring myself to eat was grilled tuna fish sandwiches. :?? Don't know why.

But I'm not remembering healthy stuff like salads or things, so maybe someone else has better info. I carried a bag w/ granola bars & that sort of stuff.

The big rink is pretty warm, the other (1942?) rink is colder, but not frigid. The smaller hockey rink behind the 1980 rink was also pretty reasonable.

Figureskates
06-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Also wondering about the typical temp of rink, either warm or cold, since it effects what I will bring to skate in.

Any one have any must do's while in Lake Placid or favorite restaurants? Any other insights about the area or the rinks? As much as I love vacations, the pre and post stuff to do is not so fun!

The rinks run the gambit on temperatures, and it depends somewhat on the weather outside, ie cloudy and cold vs sunny and warm.

The coldest rink is the USA rink...it is always a meat locker in there.

The warmest is the 1980 Rink.

The 1932 rink and be cold on cloudy days and in the mornings and warmer on sunny days and in the afternoons.

The Lussi Rink which is primarily for patch, can be cold in the morning and a little milder in the afternoon. I usually bring my fleece club jacket, sweatshirt, and vest and put on what is most comfortable for that rink at that time.

There is a lot to do around town from shopping to walking around Mirror Lake or hiking in the local areas.

Resturants run the gambit from McDonalds to 4 stars.

My favorite is "The Cottage"....but I spend most of my time at the Lake Placid Brewpub (You have to try Frostbite Ale!)

You won't be bored!

CanAmSk8ter
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I second the vote for The Cottage (an added bonus- last time I was there, the waiters were seriously hot). Nicola's (accross from the rink) isn't cheap, but it's worth it. For healthy high-carb snacks (hey, you need the energy to skate), Soulshine Bagel has the best bagels I've ever had. You can't miss Soulshine- it's got two bright orange Adirondack chairs outside. There's a place on Saranac Ave (not walking distance from the rink, but not too far either) called Mountainview Pizza that I like too. It's not fancy, but they have several different kinds of pizza, plus subs and salads and stuff.

I knew if I didn't plan to go to the Dance Championships this year I'd start to wish I had. I just didn't expect it to start until at least July :( I miss Lake Placid!

jazzpants
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
How about pastas, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese or Japanese food??? Have any recommendations? (Those in the NYC/NJ contigent can tell 'ya food is definitely a major thing for me! :lol: :yum: )

Anything that Lake Placid should be proud of in terms of food that this San Francisco foodie should definitely try? :D (I'm not just restricted to the above but the above are known to carry healthier foods if you order right.)

techskater
06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
During ANs, many places are closed because it's the locals' downtime between seasons (skiing and summer resort), so the Japanese restaurant we saw was CLOSED when we were there in 04. :frus:
I also heard from someone on this board, I think, that the Brown Bear was closed and condemned?! How can that be? We spent many a meal there!

DallasSkater
06-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Phoenix: granola bars and stuff is a good idea. I will have a locker there. Thanks.

FigureSkates: Thanks for the temp information. That is helpful for packing. I will pack for both warm and cold now. Will not be bringing my skate bag so will leave stuff in my locker there to change if I need to. Nothing worst than skating too hot or too cold. I am picky, picky, picky! giggle. Will try the Cottage and the Pub! Thanks for that too!

CanAmSk: Thanks for tip on finding "eye candy" lol. I always did have appreciation for sweets! Love Bagels so will have that at least once! Pizza would be hard for me to resist...especially good pizza but I am so addicted I can overeat even BAD pizza! lol. Mountaintop Pizza sounds dangerous for me! I might have to peek in there though.

Jazz: I love Asian inspired dishes if cooked correctly! Do you mean you are going to adult week or you were asking for AN competition as I know you will go this year?

Tech: I am hoping things will all be opened as options when we are there. I know it is the start of their summer season. Seems silly to close during a bigger event like AN! But I am sure that it takes a lot of tourist to make it in the restaurant business just about anywhere.

Just hearing more about LP is getting my excitement up. I almost don't mind Monday approaching as I usually grieve my weekend about now! I am so tortured..lol.

Thanks for responding...It is always nice to get input from those that have been!

CanAmSk8ter
06-03-2007, 10:57 AM
During ANs, many places are closed because it's the locals' downtime between seasons (skiing and summer resort), so the Japanese restaurant we saw was CLOSED when we were there in 04. :frus:
I also heard from someone on this board, I think, that the Brown Bear was closed and condemned?! How can that be? We spent many a meal there!

Noooooo, I love the Brown Bear (I thought it was the Black Bear, actually, but it's been awhile).

I didn't even know there was a Japanese place in Lake Placid. Is it on Main Street? I know where there's a Chinese place on Main- it looks like a very average, hole-in-the-wall type place, but I've never eaten there, so who knows.

techskater
06-03-2007, 11:50 AM
The comment on the Brown Bear was posted by someone who was there in January, I think.

It's funny, because my husband is a triathlete doing Ironman Lake Placid this year and is on a discussion group called "slowtwitch". When he found out he got a slot (Ironman Placid closed out in <45 minutes this year) and was discussing hotels and food, he yelled from our office "Have you ever eaten at the Brown Bear?" I burst out laughing. I guess it wasn't frequented by *just* skaters! LOL!

We walked downtown Placid and found the Japanese restaurant, but it was closed in April for two weeks (one was during ANs).

Figureskates
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
The Black Bear resturant was torn down earlier this year. They are going to build a new resturant. The property was bought by the Golden Arrow and they are the one building the resturant. The building that the Black Bear was in was old and there were some structual problems developing.

jazzpants
06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Jazz: I love Asian inspired dishes if cooked correctly! Do you mean you are going to adult week or you were asking for AN competition as I know you will go this year?I'm scoping out the places I want to go to for AN! :twisted: :yum: :lol:

CanAmSk: Thanks for tip on finding "eye candy" lol. I always did have appreciation for sweets! Love Bagels so will have that at least once! Pizza would be hard for me to resist...especially good pizza but I am so addicted I can overeat even BAD pizza! lol. Mountaintop Pizza sounds dangerous for me! I might have to peek in there though. Eye candy!?!?!? Did someone say EYE CANDY!?!?!!? :P :twisted: :lol: Pizzas are usually not allowed on my diet, but since Adult Nationals is the end of my skating season for that year, I think I can afford to SPLURGE a little AFTER my events!!! :twisted:

Tech: I am hoping things will all be opened as options when we are there. I know it is the start of their summer season. Seems silly to close during a bigger event like AN! But I am sure that it takes a lot of tourist to make it in the restaurant business just about anywhere.
I wonder if there is a way we can let the restaurant owners at Lake Placid know ahead of time that if they can stay open the week of AN so they get in a good amount of business. :P

Sad that I won't be able to try out the Black Bear!!! :cry:

dbny
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I camp in the Adirondacks every summer, about 40 min from LP, and usually go once, but didn't last year. Goldberry's, next to the Brown Bear, has a soup and salad bar, and the food is generally good, although I did once have a dish I should have sent back. The restaurant at the Hilton (other end of Main St. from the rinks) is excellent. If you have a car, you should drive to Keene just so you can see the Cascade lakes, which are man made, but beautiful. If you are having a bad day, and just want to get away, and have a car, drive past Keene to Elizabethtown and on to Lincoln Pond for a day at the beach on a pristine mountain lake (also artificial). Another great place for a swim is Split Rock Falls (http://www.swimmingholes.org/ny.html#SPLIT%20ROCK%20FALLS%20AREA), also near E-town (the NOTE in the description is my contribution).

techskater
06-03-2007, 07:45 PM
:

I wonder if there is a way we can let the restaurant owners at Lake Placid know ahead of time that if they can stay open the week of AN so they get in a good amount of business. :P

They are aware, but this is their only opportunity to get away.

CanAmSk8ter
06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
The Black Bear resturant was torn down earlier this year. They are going to build a new resturant. The property was bought by the Golden Arrow and they are the one building the resturant. The building that the Black Bear was in was old and there were some structual problems developing.

Makes sense; that was a pretty old building, and there was no airconditioning- not usually a problem in Lake Placid, but their ventilation wasn't very good, and since it backed right up to the lake the humidity was usually really high in there too. I wonder if the humidity was causing mold.

DallasSkater
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
dbny: Is the water super cold though? I am a total baby. I love to swim but seriously like my water pretty warm. I scuba dive so could bring a wet suit! giggle. Thanks for that information. I had not even considered outside swimming as an option!

I am having grief issues over brown or black bears! Sounds like I am late for that experience.

dbny
06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Split Rock Falls is absolutely icy, but is also an incredible place just to lounge and watch the water cascade down the triple falls. You can do that without getting any more than your feet wet, but do wear water shoes, because the stream bed is rocky. Lincoln Pond is warmer, but not what I would call warm. It's also a very beautiful place, as is the whole region. You can rent a canoe or rowboat for the day at Lincoln Pond (also "LP" :lol:).

Figureskates
06-05-2007, 06:09 AM
DallasSkater, I e-mailed a couple of my club members in LP and we have come up with a couple of recommendations for coaches that would fit your needs.

Introduce yourself Sunday night and i will point them out to you....

DallasSkater
06-06-2007, 06:25 AM
dbny: Thanks! Triple falls?...I am so there!

Figureskates: Thanks for your efforts. Will find you Sunday!

They just sent the schedule of classes for the week. WOW! and YIKES!

Figureskates
06-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Figureskates: Thanks for your efforts. Will find you Sunday!

They just sent the schedule of classes for the week. WOW! and YIKES!

Yup saw the schedule..it is not as overpowering as it looks!

I will be living most of the time in the Lussi Rink since they have four patch sessions a day....the ole scribe will get a workout!

dbny
06-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I will be living most of the time in the Lussi Rink since they have four patch sessions a day....the ole scribe will get a workout!

Didn't someone say recently that they took down the Lussi rink?

Figureskates
06-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Didn't someone say recently that they took down the Lussi rink?

Project won't start to later this year or very early next....The Lussi lives!

jazzpants
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Project won't start to later this year or very early next....The Lussi lives!In that case, I hope the Lussi rink reopens before next year's Adult Nationals then. ;)

techskater
06-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Lussi rink is usually down during ANs (since figures were eliminated from competition). Practice ice is usually on USA rink (besides officials on 32 and 80). FWIW, the town hall meeting occurred on the Lussi rink's cement and so did the competitor's party in 04