View Full Version : Tip for Protecting Skate Blades

Sk8inUT
06-01-2007, 11:50 AM
If you have trouble with your blades rusting, there is a new lubricant and water repellent called Jig-A-Loo that is useful for protecting your skate blades from gradual corrosion or water damage. It is easy to find in stores like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, just look for the bright orange spray can.

Award
06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
It is easy to find in stores like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, just look for the bright orange spray can.

It would help if you had provided a name for this product. But then, to stop rusting, just wipe down the blades with a water absorbing cloth, and put on the skate booties (cloth), and remove when you get home, and wipe with kleenex or something to remove water that condensed on the blade. Then let dry, or use a small fan to blow air over to help them dry out.

Award
06-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Also, read the sticky.

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20328

Sk8inUT
06-01-2007, 06:59 PM
sorry about that, the product is called Jig-A-Loo, looks like this..

http://mpnmag.com/site/articlefiles/4S-107-MP.jpg

Award
06-02-2007, 08:38 AM
It doesn't say you can use it on skate blades though, right?

Anyway, I checked at their website, in the section "What if I need First Aid?"....it says...

"Contains: methylene chloride, perchloroethylene, isobutane, and propane."

and...

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer."

Sk8inUT
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
all of the uses are at http://jigaloo.com/en/does/ and if you click on the fights rust and ice link at the bottom it says that it prevents rust on ice skates and golf clubs.

emma
06-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I have never had my blades rust. Always dry your blades and put soakers on and it will never be a problem.

icedancer2
06-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I've never had a problem with rust, either - I wonder if it has something to do with the humidity where you live? Never a problem here in Portland, OR! (even though it rains all the time, it is not humid! What's up with that?)

dbny
06-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I've never had a problem, nor have any of the three other skaters in my family. All we do is dry our blades right away and put soakers on them. I think the only time rust is really a problem is when blades are not properly cared for. Storing them in blade guards will do it, and not drying them will too.

Skittl1321
06-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I have pretty bad rust problems with my blades. They get teeny rust spots- it always comes off at the next sharpening, but it drives me mad. It HAS to be the humidty in my house.

Because I wipe the ice off my blade, then take the skate off, dry the blade off, and set it aside. Do the same with the next skate, go back to the first skate and wipe off any condensation formed and then put a soaker on. These things are DRY when they go in my bag, but I still get spots.

At least I assume it's rust. It doesn't flake, but it's tiny brown spots on my blades.

dbny
06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
If they are tiny brown spots that come off at sharpening, why worry?

Mercedeslove
06-02-2007, 11:44 PM
If they are tiny brown spots that come off at sharpening, why worry?

I worry because I'm OCD like that. I know it's there and it drives me nuts and I can't relax until it's gone. I often try to pick it off.

SkatingOnClouds
06-03-2007, 03:19 AM
When you get your skates home, where do you store them? That can make a difference too. They need to warm to room temperature before being put away again.

Much to my OCD husband's displeasure, my daughter and I unpack our skate bags and leave the skates on the living room floor overnight to let the boot interior dry out, and to allow the blades to warm. Otherwise the inside of the boots doesn't really dry, and the blades continue to create condensation.

That's my understanding anyway.

Rusty Blades
06-03-2007, 03:25 AM
I worry because I'm OCD like that. I know it's there and it drives me nuts and I can't relax until it's gone. I often try to pick it off.

If you want to be done with the little brown spots for good, get yourself a tin of automotive paste wax. Take a piece of rag and get some paste wax on it, seal it in a baggie and toss it in your skate bag. After you have double-wiped your blades at the rink, rub the working parts of the blade with the waxy rag. If you still get brown spots, I'll eat what's left of the rag 8O

(Fancy aerosol sprays may work if you want to spend the money but there are inexpensive 'down home' solutions that have been used for generations.)

Skittl1321
06-03-2007, 08:27 AM
When you get your skates home, where do you store them? That can make a difference too. They need to warm to room temperature before being put away again.

Much to my OCD husband's displeasure, my daughter and I unpack our skate bags and leave the skates on the living room floor overnight to let the boot interior dry out, and to allow the blades to warm. Otherwise the inside of the boots doesn't really dry, and the blades continue to create condensation.

That's my understanding anyway.

They stay upside down in my skate bag- which has an open top- in the hallway of my house.

emma
06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
What type of blades do you have? Poor quality blades will rust and I have even seen them material that coats the blade flake off. A high quality blade should not rust if they are kept dry after skating. The price you paid for the blade should let you know what quality you have. I think if you paid under $150.00 dollars for the blade then that is the reason for the rusting.

Award
06-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Because I wipe the ice off my blade, then take the skate off, dry the blade off, and set it aside. Do the same with the next skate, go back to the first skate and wipe off any condensation formed and then put a soaker on. These things are DRY when they go in my bag, but I still get spots. At least I assume it's rust. It doesn't flake, but it's tiny brown spots on my blades.

Maybe the skate blades might not be truly dry when you put the dry soakers on. You mentioned that you sip the condensation off and then put the soakers on. Do you do this immediately? Or wait for say a hour or two before putting those dry soakers on? It's possible that the blades are still a bit moist on the surface, but just that you can't see it with your eyes. And also, if there are pits in your skate blade, the water could still be hiding a little bit in there too. So maybe requires more time to dry out. But if your area is very humid, then maybe the problem could be due to humidity. I used to let the blades dry right out, and then later just apply ski wax ..... good quality wax that I put on my skis hehe.

Skittl1321
06-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Well, they aren't good blades- they are Mirages, so that could be some of it.

I do dry the condensation off immediatly after skating. I'll try going back to them to dry again an hour or two after I get home.

dooobedooo
06-04-2007, 09:15 AM
There are chemicals added to the ice to help it to freeze, and some rinks use more than others. This can help cause rust. To avoid this, after skating, rinse the blades in hot water to remove any trace of additive, and then wipe them dry with a tissue or towel.

A smear of 3-in-1 Handy Oil or a spray of WD40 can also be used to protect the blades, from rust and/or oxidation, if the blades are being stored for a few weeks.

dbny
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
There are chemicals added to the ice to help it to freeze, and some rinks use more than others.

I'm pretty sure this is not so, but will have to check my ISI Operations book to see. Anything you add to water will delay freezing, not enhance it. This is why people salt their sidewalks after shoveling; it prevents freezing.

Rusty Blades
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
One thing most people miss is that your blades are cold after a skating session and although you may dry them before leaving the rink, the cold blades will cause moisture to condense on the steel when you get out where it is warmer.

There are only two ways to stop steel from rusting: #1 - keep it dry; that means drying your blades again after they warm up, #2 - keep the steel coated so the moisture doesn't contact the steel (oil or wax both work) - bare steel + moisture + oxygen = rust.

dooobedooo
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure this is not so, but will have to check my ISI Operations book to see. Anything you add to water will delay freezing, not enhance it. This is why people salt their sidewalks after shoveling; it prevents freezing.

OK, I am not an ice chemist, so have no idea what/why chemicals are added.

However, I whether it is the chemical additives (empirically, this can be the case), or whether is the coolness of the skate blade attracting condensation, you can help guard against rust. Best way is to rinse the blades in hot water and wipe them dry.