View Full Version : Felt like quitting

herniated
05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi all,
Guess I'm looking for some support and your own stories. Today before I went skating I felt like quitting.:cry: My online name is 'herniated' because I do have a herniated disc in my lower lumbar region. I've had it for over 20 years. Lately I feel every inch of my sciatic nerve. :frus: Now, I have an issue in my upper back and my left arm loses some of it's strength. And, yes I will be seeing my orthopedic surgeon dude next week to evaluate. But.... This morning I was teary eyed and just had a hard time dealing with the pain.

Anyway, I did go to the rink and....had a great skate. 8O Funny how that happens isn't it? I don't want to quit now and I talked to some good skating friends who helped lift my spirits!! I still have considerable pain at the moment but it's bearable. What are your stories and how do you deal?

Terri C
05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
After the fifth failed attempt at passing Bronze free about two weeks ago, I too felt like quitting. I was very frustrated at the fact that I have literally busted my butt and then some to get this test ready, only to not skate well on test day.
I too have no idea how to deal. I'm the only adult skater at my rink and other than my coaches,a few skating parents, and most of you guys here on SF, I feel as if I don't have much support.

jskater49
05-29-2007, 09:19 AM
One day I started skating and felt really good and this other adult came up to me and said "I notice you skate with your shoulders hunched forward, my coach says to imagine holding an orange with your shoulder blades"

Now this is why I NEVER offer unsolicited advise, though I've been sorely tempted as I sure she was. And I'm sure she meant well. But it made me feel terrible. LIke duh, I never heard the orange story (especially since we have the same coach) and like duh I don't know I have trouble with posture. It just made me feel self conscience about everything about my skating and I did not want to skate. I was trying to do the step behind for the rhythm blues and I couldn't do that and I really felt terrible, and just went in the club room and cried. I would have gone home but I had a lesson later. Good thing I had the lesson because I felt much better after.

Any time you are tempted to "help" a fellow skater "fix" something... I'd refrain. It may do more harm than good.

j

Rusty Blades
05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
You gotta do what's right for you Hern, whether it's skating or taking it easy.

I buggered up my knees in a fall when I was 19. Skating was my PASSION then - I skated 6 days a week, nearly 20 hours each week, and LOVED it! After my fall, I couldn't skate worth sh!# - without any warning, either knee would just "go out" on me any time, just loose all strength and collapse. Needless to say, I couldn't skate - heck, I had trouble walking and stairs were downright DANGEROUS!

It was kind of like an ugly divorce - I just had to move on and forget about it (skating). More than 30 years went by before skating crossed my mind again and I realized I had not had any problem with my knees in over ten years so I went out and bought a pair of skates.

Coming back as an adult (at 56, I was not a youngster by anyone's definition) was tough! Anything I had ever been able to do was GONE! Nada. Zip. I was starting over again with nothing but memories. Everything took 10x longer to learn than when I was a teen and was 10x harder (I carry more weight and was VERY out of shape) but every ounce of the passion (obsession?) was still there :roll: I sprained my ankle last August and the therapist said I needed to take 6 weeks off skating. I was working toward my first competition the following spring and decided to keep skating - if I totally "blew" the ankle, it would require surgery but I managed to keep going with physiotherapy and made it to my competition :mrgreen: There were often times when I would tell my coach I couldn't do any more XXXX (whatever that was) because it was hurting my ankle so we'd work around it. I am still going, the ankle is sloooowly improving, the knees are holding, and the passion has not subsided one iota 8-)

I don't know what I would do if it was "just" extreme pain. That would be tough. Are you at risk of making your back problem worse if you keep skating before it gets resolved? If not, how much pain is "too much" is something only YOU can answer!

Sending you healing energy .....

southernsk8er
05-29-2007, 11:29 AM
I have definitely wanted to quit before, due to feeling like I would never get a certain element or hitting a point where I thought I was not improving. I also had a serious knee injury about 1.5 years ago, and it's still a day-to-day nuisance. I don't know what I would do trying to skate with "considerable pain" but I can imagine that would get you down. I guess you have to wait and see what your doc says. You wouldn't want to cause permanent injury that would really keep you from skating again. I hope you get good news from your doctor and heal soon!! Sending you wishes for recovery.

herniated
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your stories guys!! I don't want to do permanent damage that's why I get everything checked out. I always say, Walking is more important than skating. I don't want to risk my day to day mobility. I get down about it maybe... twice a year, then I move on. Some aches and pains are to be expected but when it disturbs sleeping it's time to check it out.

blackmanskating
05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I have definitely wanted to quit before, due to feeling like I would never get a certain element or hitting a point where I thought I was not improving. . .

One day I started skating and felt really good and this other adult came up to me and said "I notice you skate with your shoulders hunched forward, my coach says to imagine holding an orange with your shoulder blades"

Now this is why I NEVER offer unsolicited advise, though I've been sorely tempted as I sure she was. And I'm sure she meant well. But it made me feel terrible. LIke duh, I never heard the orange story (especially since we have the same coach) and like duh I don't know I have trouble with posture. It just made me feel self conscience about everything about my skating and I did not want to skate. I was trying to do the step behind for the rhythm blues and I couldn't do that and I really felt terrible, and just went in the club room and cried. I would have gone home but I had a lesson later. Good thing I had the lesson because I felt much better after.

Any time you are tempted to "help" a fellow skater "fix" something... I'd refrain. It may do more harm than good.

j

I too have felt like I wanted to quit even though people say that I am way ahead of the game. Sometimes, other skaters don't have to come to you and say what you need to improve to make you feel bad. Sometimes, all it takes is for them to perform the element you struggle with, perfectly. That alone makes me feel like, "God, why do I even waste my time and hard earned money?" I gotta remember that I am doing this for myself, and not for the approval of anyone else. That being said, I think physical injuries and self-esteem injuries all wreck havoc on our desire to keep skating. Most people don't have much respect for an adult skater, so it's easy to just quit. But I remember what it was like to land my first axel, my first double, when I got lower on my sit-spin and several other accomplishments. That gives me the push to keep going. Skating is all about struggle. The day that you don't struggle or push yourself is the day that you should quit. :giveup: Until then, keep doing what you do as long as your body will allow you to. Get better soon herniated.

BlackManSkating

doubletoe
05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I think we've all hit brick walls physically or psychologically and wondered if we shouldn't just quit. Whenever I feel like there's no way to go but down and I should just hang up my skates, I take two weeks off from skating. Then I realize that I have no idea what the heck I would do with myself if I didn't skate! LOL! I suppose that's good enough reason not to quit. . . That, and remembering why I started skating in the first place. I figured if I was going to exercise a few hours a week to stay in shape, I might as well be developing some skill at the same time so I'd have something else to show for it in addition to toned thighs. No matter how lousy any of us thinks we are on the ice, I would bet we're all capable of feats much more impressive than those who have spent the same amount of time on the elliptical machine! ;)

Thin-Ice
05-30-2007, 03:20 AM
A couple years ago, I was really struggling with backspins. I badly sprained my right ankle about 20 years ago and it can be very hard to balance on that foot since the right front outer quadrant has no strength.. tendons/ligaments can't withstand much weight sometimes.. and heaven knows I have "much weight" :lol: .

I was the only person on the ice and had taken a really bad fall... and thought to myself "if I had just hit my head on the ice no one would even know until the ice cut an hour from now and it really wouldn't make any difference anyway, because I'm just awful at this" and was realllly throwing a huge pity-party for myself.

I had decided to stroke one time around the rink really fast (for me) and call that my swan song to skating... when a young girl (maybe 7-8) came out on the ice and set to work and had such joy on her face as she worked on back edges (which I still don't find much joy in). I watched her and thought "THAT's what I'm missing about skating right now.. THAT feeling". So I decided to hang out a just a bit longer and only do stuff that made me feel good. And I was so sorry when the session ended. I have no idea who the little girl was since she only stayed about 30-minutes -- but I think of her as a "skating angel" who kept me skating. (you know, the kind you read about "I was driving very late at night in a dense fog, when this man stepped in front of my car and said "STOP" and I did and when I got out to thank him, no one was there, but the front tires of my car were just inches from the edge of the cliff.")

My backspins are still really awful.. but I remember to feel the joy and just do what my body will let me, on days it will let me skate. I can't imagine what I would do with the time/money I would have if I didn't skate.. and I really don't want to find out.

jskater49
05-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I too have felt like I wanted to quit even though people say that I am way ahead of the game. Sometimes, other skaters don't have to come to you and say what you need to improve to make you feel bad. Sometimes, all it takes is for them to perform the element you struggle with, perfectly. That alone makes me feel like, "God, why do I even waste my time and hard earned money?" IBlackManSkating

To tell the truth, sometimes reading this board and hearing what jumps skaters at my level are accomplishing---even in the time I've been reading this board makes me feel discouraged. "Wow-she's doing a loop already and I still haven't tackled a salchow?" but I just remind myself, I'm on my own pace, doing what I feel comfortable doing. You just cannot compare yourself to others...like everyone else says, it has to be for you.

j

AndreaUK
05-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi

I may be forced to quit myself. I dont know if im just looking on the negative side of things but the way things have been for the last 3 months, I cant see that I will ever be on the ice again.
Firstly right at the beginning of March, I popped my knee doing a lunge. I ended up with a bruised meniscus cartilage of which I still feel the pain. In April whilst at home I damaged my ankle (which still hurts like hell and swells up every time I walk on it) and at the moment Im struggling with a nasty case of shingles in my back (again)
I havent had a day without pain since the beginning of March and I honestly dont know if ill be able to skate again or not.
I dont want to quit but my body is just not in any condition what so ever to skate. I cannot exercise because of pain, I cant drive because of pain and until there is some serious change, im stuck in the house with 4 walls and not much hope.

Andrea x

AW1
05-30-2007, 06:40 AM
One night at my LTS class I totally lost it and stormed off the ice in tears after being told for the millionth time by one coach that I should "get my daughter to show me". My daughter was 5 at the time by the way!

Add to that, I stuffed up my knee last September, and didn't get on the ice at all because of the pain for months on end. This time I'm talking about above was about my 3rd time back on the ice in 6 months!

And since then I've had to have surgery to my knee. I haven't stepped foot on the ice. My brother (older) is also doing LTS with me, and he's almost through to the last level, but I still can't do a backward one foot glide.

I'm so frustrated with myself and the whole process. I don't know how I will go on when I eventually get back on the ice.

southernsk8er
05-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I figured if I was going to exercise a few hours a week to stay in shape, I might as well be developing some skill at the same time so I'd have something else to show for it in addition to toned thighs. No matter how lousy any of us thinks we are on the ice, I would bet we're all capable of feats much more impressive than those who have spent the same amount of time on the elliptical machine! ;)

LOL!! You hit the nail on the head with that one!!! :D

Rusty Blades
05-30-2007, 10:47 AM
To tell the truth, sometimes reading this board and hearing what jumps skaters at my level are accomplishing---even in the time I've been reading this board makes me feel discouraged. "Wow-she's doing a loop already and I still haven't tackled a salchow?" but I just remind myself, I'm on my own pace, doing what I feel comfortable doing. You just cannot compare yourself to others...

Yea, but we DO, don't we! Starting at age 56 has been a HUGE lesson in patience and humility for me, being out-skated by 6 year olds and watching 14 year olds do stuff I will probably never be able to do. You can't help but compare!

Late last fall I went into a real FUNK over my skating. I had been busting my britches for 10 months, hoping to get to Adult Nationals the following spring, and my coach had been riding me about "cleaning up" my forward stroking - very angry like - and I left a practice session one day in tears (yes AW1, I've been there!). I was working my a@@ off and didn't seem to be improving. There was a big blue dumpster by the door to the rink and I actually paused for a moment and was tempted to throw my skates in the dumpster and quit, SERIOUSLY tempted. Fortunately skates are expensive and I am CHEAP so I decided I needed to think it over before quitting.

I thought it over and realized that I wasn't getting any positive feedback about my skating - it was all negative (and some fairly harsh negative, like being hollered at in front of other skaters and coaches). Long story short, I knew I needed a change and ended up changing coaches. I can be my own worst critic so having a supportive coach made a world of difference.

(I made it to the Adult Championships - I didn't set the world on fire, I didn't skate my best, but I made it and I competed so the goal was accomplished!)

chowskates
05-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi all,
Guess I'm looking for some support and your own stories. Today before I went skating I felt like quitting.:cry: My online name is 'herniated' because I do have a herniated disc in my lower lumbar region. I've had it for over 20 years. Lately I feel every inch of my sciatic nerve. :frus: Now, I have an issue in my upper back and my left arm loses some of it's strength. And, yes I will be seeing my orthopedic surgeon dude next week to evaluate. But.... This morning I was teary eyed and just had a hard time dealing with the pain.

Anyway, I did go to the rink and....had a great skate. 8O Funny how that happens isn't it? I don't want to quit now and I talked to some good skating friends who helped lift my spirits!! I still have considerable pain at the moment but it's bearable. What are your stories and how do you deal?

Hi, I have been having lower back problems on-and-off. Two years ago, the week before our Nationals, it got so bad I could barely get out of bed. I pulled out of the Nationals that year.

An x-ray later showed that I had an "old fracture" in the spine - this was probably something that happened many years ago, and the doctors can't figure out how I could have not known, as it would have hurt badly. The x-ray also showed that I had mild scoliosis. Neither is currently critcal, so the doctors recommend not to do anything, and my physio gets me to do various stretching exercises.

I'd say, if skating makes you feel better, don't quit! Ask your doctor how to best work with your condition. Good luck :)

Cheers,
Chow

doubletoe
05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
One night at my LTS class I totally lost it and stormed off the ice in tears after being told for the millionth time by one coach that I should "get my daughter to show me". My daughter was 5 at the time by the way!

Add to that, I stuffed up my knee last September, and didn't get on the ice at all because of the pain for months on end. This time I'm talking about above was about my 3rd time back on the ice in 6 months!

And since then I've had to have surgery to my knee. I haven't stepped foot on the ice. My brother (older) is also doing LTS with me, and he's almost through to the last level, but I still can't do a backward one foot glide.

I'm so frustrated with myself and the whole process. I don't know how I will go on when I eventually get back on the ice.

UGH! Get a new coach!!!!! Sounds like this one doesn't know what a coach's job is! (Hint: It's to show you how to do stuff!)

blackmanskating
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
To tell the truth, sometimes reading this board and hearing what jumps skaters at my level are accomplishing---even in the time I've been reading this board makes me feel discouraged. "Wow-she's doing a loop already and I still haven't tackled a salchow?" but I just remind myself, I'm on my own pace, doing what I feel comfortable doing. You just cannot compare yourself to others...like everyone else says, it has to be for you.

j

That's important concept to remind yourself of. You should also post up the jumps you have successfully done so that we all can rejoice with you. We all have been there. I've just learned to accept the fact that there will always be someone who is better and someone who is more consistent than you. That's just how it goes. So I'd rather not think about it. I just like to say to myself, "My skating is better today that it was yesterday." My coach has also been like a big brother to me; always encouraging me to improve and to enjoy what I am doing. I am very serious when I skate and he tells me to relax and calm down. He reminds me to have fun. If you don't have a coach that encourages you then it's time to change coaches. Find someone who is in it because they love coaching not because they are in it for the money. Rusty Blades you did the right thing!!!!

BlackManSkating

herniated
05-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi all thanks for your well wishes. Today, I feel a lot better. It seem when the humidity goes down I get relief. Weird huh?:lol: I read about this happening somewhere. Anyway, I still have my Dr. appt. next week of course! This has been going on too long. I have a lesson tomorrow and hope it will be good.

Chowskates, I can relate to your story about having an injury and not really know it. I think we are just conditioned to 'work through the pain'. I had a physical therapist who was amazed at the flexibiltiy I had even with my disc issue.8O Of course when the pain was severe I was crawling on the floor.:cry: I know when I first hurt my back 20 years ago I couldn't even walk at first. ( I was on kickline in college) But within three weeks I was back at practice and competed with my team:!: I was 22 at the time. Now...at 43 it takes a bit longer to recover. But, I do recover.:D

blackmanskating
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi all thanks for your well wishes. Today, I feel a lot better. It seem when the humidity goes down I get relief. Weird huh?:lol: I read about this happening somewhere. Anyway, I still have my Dr. appt. next week of course! This has been going on too long. I have a lesson tomorrow and hope it will be good.

My Mom says that she can tell when it's about to rain because it makes her knee joints hurt. I never understood that but I believe it has something to do with humidity. At first I thought she was just imagining things but after your comment, maybe there is some truth to this.

BlackManSkating

herniated
05-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Blackmanskating,
I think it was my physical therapist from a few years ago that brought up this theory. Something to do with the barometric pressure. Whenever a snow storm is brewing, like right before it when the pressure drops I get a wicked headache!!8O But, he did mention the humidity and pressure can affect the pressure within the body. :roll: blah blah blah. I have to research it online.

I wanted to say to AW1, I feel your pain. Literally. When my back goes out and I do mean out. I lose a lot of ice time. And I have to relearn a lot of stuff. If it makes you feel any better over the past two years I have had sinus surgery, a back issue where I could barely drive home from the rink and a hockey guy had to put my bag in my car for me8O , passing of several kidney stones (it is worse than childbirth) I called an ambulance for one of them:frus: , the flu, and now my current situation. Obviously I get down too, I started this thread because I needed support from my fellow skaters. I hope you find support and comfort here too. I also remind myself what skating does for me physically. So, far I am the only one in my family not on cholesterol meds, high Blood Pressure meds, or a Type 2 diabetic. It is all because of skating!! So, keep at it. I know it hurts but it is worth it.

herniated
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Ok, just did a little research onliine regarding the whole humidity and barometric pressure affecting joint pain. Well... there have been significant studies on the subject and the studies do show that people with arthritis feel worse on days that have high humidity and /or low barometric pressure:!: It is called being weather sensitive.8O Fasinating:halo: By the way, I do have arthritis. I left that part out.

singerskates
05-30-2007, 07:50 PM
In February of 2005 I had a work place accident that left me with two herniated discs in my upper back. At the time it was just 6 weeks to the 2005 Adult Canadians and I had another competition the weekend that it happened. I could not lift my arms for very long, turn my neck or check any spins or jumps. I may have came in last or next to last but I didn't give up. It took me a year and a half before I started to feel relief. I am still troubled by the herniated discs at times but most of the time, I have no pain. I went through physio and chiropractic. Both helped but mostly the chiropractic and time away from the rink. Make sure to see a sports doc (I didn't have one in my town) and get into chiropractic first to see if you can pop the slipped herniated disc back into place. Usually it's a nerve that runs to close to the discs in your back that gets pinched. At first the doctors thought it was just muscle pain. No such thing. Get yourself an MRI to see how badly the injury is. In time, you can return to the rink to freeskate.

Don't stop stroking on the ice if it doesn't bother you. Walk a lot. Ice, ice and more ice to relieve the sore irritated area.

singerskates

PS: My skating is just now starting to improve. Hopefully, I'll one day land a double salchow again. Never tested any freeskate yet because of injuries.

herniated
05-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks singerskates,
I did see an osteopath for the lower back herniated disc. They do manipualtions similar to chriopractic. I saw them for 10 years then moved on to physical therapy, ect. And, I will probably have another MRI. My Dr's are pretty proactive and want to get to the bottom of things!

herniated
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi all!
Well today I go to the orthopedist. Hopefully I'm not doing irreparable damage to myself.8O Was going to skate today but woke up to pray to the porcelin god! Lovely right? I also have kidney stones and one seems to be passing. When it rains it pours. Hope I can skate tomorrow. :lol:

AdultPairSkater
06-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone :)

"Quitting" can have several meanings. You can quit competing, you can quit training seriously for competitions, or you can quit skating entirely.

I have gone through periods over the past 11 seasons where I quit training seriously, quit skating completely for months on end, but I never quit participating in competitions (I wanted to remain as part of the community and participate).

I think for adults, skating can fit into your life wherever you need it to fit, and participation can vary from season to season without regret and based on your own personal circumstances.

Cheers!

herniated
06-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone,
Well, I do not have any fractures! :) I do have to go for an MRI of my lower back to see if my herniated disc has changed. The last MRI was in 2000. I will start Physical therapy next week too.

I will not skate tomorrow. I'm still not feeling well due to last night's stomach upset. It appears I have passed another kidney stone.

Adultpairskater - I meant quit for good. Everything regarding skating. Of course I won't but for the moment I had a little pity party. For a brief moment.

doubletoe
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone,
Well, I do not have any fractures! :) I do have to go for an MRI of my lower back to see if my herniated disc has changed. The last MRI was in 2000. I will start Physical therapy next week too.

I will not skate tomorrow. I'm still not feeling well due to last night's stomach upset. It appears I have passed another kidney stone.

Adultpairskater - I meant quit for good. Everything regarding skating. Of course I won't but for the moment I had a little pity party. For a brief moment.

Glad you don't have any fractures! And I hope you feel 100% better very soon!!

Sessy
06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Herniated, about the kidney stones... Have you considered a... well what is that called. Health resort/spa?

In the town my mom and I will go in summer to, there's this water underground that literally dissolves kidney stones. Well it dissolves your teeth too if you're not careful, but the reason people go to that town is the water. And it does work, the "sand" in my kidneys was gone and the "sand" and stones my mom had were as well for the most part (after 2 years of going there every summer), and the stones in her gall bladder were gone completely.
Now that's in the Ukraine (Truskavec), but somewhere in Germany or Czech republic or something there's a similar water, and maybe somewhere in the USA as well? it's somehow got to do with oil (yeah the stuff they make gasoline from) reacting with the minerals in the water somehow. The active ingredient falls apart after a few hours of exposure to air or light though so they don't sell it in bottles unfortunately.

kander
06-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I quit skating about 4 years ago because of 24/7 back pain. I always told myself that I'd quit if I couldn't sleep anymore. It took about a year before my back got to the point where I felt comfortable most of the time. During my off time I gained a lot of weight and turned into a couch potato. About a year and a half ago I joined a gym and got a personal trainer. I lost the weight (60 pounds!) and got in pretty good shape such that nothing hurts anymore. About a year ago I started skating again and haven't had any problems. The main difference between now and then is that I train in a gym as part of my regular regimen to keep strong. For every hour on the ice I would guess I'm in the gym for about 2 hours.

One theory, besides the obvious benefits of working out, is that the pain was caused by an imbalance in my core muscles. That is to say certain muscles get overdeveloped skating and others are underdeveloped. I find this plausible as it doesn't take much pressure on a nerve to make you miserable. Anyway, I haven't felt as good as I do right now since I was in my 20s and I'm able to do most of my old tricks on the ice.

Kevin

Sessy
06-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Kevin, what do you train in the gym? Which exercises?

Myself, my vertebrae is sunk in (to the point where you can't palpate it) and was probably cracked in a fall I took as a child according to the doctor who years later made the x-rays (originally I was misdiagnosed with hyperventilation at first, later with inflammation of the rib muscles). Skating has seriously helped with it. I can breathe freely for the first time in 10 years, and sleep on my back. I think it's because the core muscles are supporting my back instead of the pressure being on the spine. Bielman stretches probably helped a lot too. If I don't do that stretch for a few days, I can feel the pressure around that spot in my back again. I stretch my back and I feel great again.

kander
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Kevin, what do you train in the gym? Which exercises?

Myself, my vertebrae is sunk in (to the point where you can't palpate it) and was probably cracked in a fall I took as a child according to the doctor who years later made the x-rays (originally I was misdiagnosed with hyperventilation at first, later with inflammation of the rib muscles). Skating has seriously helped with it. I can breathe freely for the first time in 10 years, and sleep on my back. I think it's because the core muscles are supporting my back instead of the pressure being on the spine. Bielman stretches probably helped a lot too. If I don't do that stretch for a few days, I can feel the pressure around that spot in my back again. I stretch my back and I feel great again.

I try to work on all major muscle groups. The single most important thing is to avoid jarring motion such as you would get on a treadmill. For cardio I usually use either an elyptical or ramp machine. It's easy on the back and knees. I try to avoid using the muscle-specific machines as they can produce the type of core imbalance I'm trying to avoid. For example if you want to work on your bi-cepts it's better to use free weights than a curl machine because the curl machine doesn't work any of the stabalizing muscles.

I forgot to mention that equally important to working out is stretching properly. Strectching is critical to reducing or even eliminating pain. The problem is most people don't know how to stretch properly. If you do it wrong you can do more damage than good. If you over-do it you can do more damage than good. At the rink I see people stretching their legs out on the boards all the time and that isn't a good way to do it. There are a lot better and effective ways to warm up the hammy. The worst stretching excercise I've seen is where a person stands on one leg and grabs the free foot behind the back stretching the knee out. The only thing this excercise does is destroy the ligaments in the knee.

Sessy
06-07-2007, 05:11 AM
The worst stretching excercise I've seen is where a person stands on one leg and grabs the free foot behind the back stretching the knee out. The only thing this excercise does is destroy the ligaments in the knee.

sounds like a full bielman? or am I picturing it wrong here?

Sessy
06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
At the rink I see people stretching their legs out on the boards all the time and that isn't a good way to do it.

Why not? If I try to stretch as a split or lift my leg up and pull it up like in ballet (like Y-shaped, off a bent standing knee) it's a very active stretch so to speak, I can't hold the position for long. On the boards I can just ease into it and hold it for much longer, and it also stretches the leg a little to the side apart from just the muscles at the back, that I don't know of any other exercise that stretches those apart from the splits (which I stay with the part between my legs about a foot off the floor when I do those, so I need a ton of strength to keep that position for longer than 10 seconds lol)

techskater
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM
For two reasons:
1) Muscles are usually cold because people do one lap and then go stretch
2) It's cold in the rink which contributes to cold muscles

kander
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
sounds like a full bielman? or am I picturing it wrong here?

No, not a Bielman. Speaking of which, I could never imagine what it's like to get in that position. It looks quite painful.

kander
06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Why not? If I try to stretch as a split or lift my leg up and pull it up like in ballet (like Y-shaped, off a bent standing knee) it's a very active stretch so to speak, I can't hold the position for long. On the boards I can just ease into it and hold it for much longer, and it also stretches the leg a little to the side apart from just the muscles at the back, that I don't know of any other exercise that stretches those apart from the splits (which I stay with the part between my legs about a foot off the floor when I do those, so I need a ton of strength to keep that position for longer than 10 seconds lol)

The problem I have is bending over the boards puts pressure on the lower back, which can aggravate a person with a sciatic problem. There are other ways to stretch out the leg muscles without pressuring the lower back.

jazzpants
06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
No, not a Bielman. Speaking of which, I could never imagine what it's like to get in that position. It looks quite painful.
You're just talking about a standing quad stretch (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stretches.php?Name=Standing+Quad+Stretch), right?

The problem I have is bending over the boards puts pressure on the lower back, which can aggravate a person with a sciatic problem. There are other ways to stretch out the leg muscles without pressuring the lower back.Really!?!?! I've always stretched at the boards and I've never had a problem with the sciatic nerve doing those stretches. (And you already know I have had sciatica in the past...)

Hmmm? I'll have to skate with you sometime soon so I'll see what you mean. (I'll do the stretch though, so you don't hurt your back... :P )

kander
06-07-2007, 07:02 PM
You're just talking about a standing quad stretch (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stretches.php?Name=Standing+Quad+Stretch), right?

That's it. Or as I like to call it (if you overstretch), "The Knee Destroyer".

herniated
06-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi all!
Well, I had an MRI this morning of my lower back. This is my third one of my lower back in my lifetime. So, it shouldn't have been a big deal. And... I've been through numerous much more horrendous medical procedures before!! I HAD AN ANXIETY ATTACK IN THE THING!!!!!!:o 8O I had to get the technician to get me.. O...U...T!!!! I got all flushed, hot and nauseous!!! I was completely embarrassed.:oops: He had to turn me around so I went in feet first and talked to me during the whole @#*%ing thing. I tried deep breathing but the only thing that worked was visualizing myself skating. :lol: Imagine that.

Anyway, I'm still light headed and annoyed with myself. But, glad it's over. Later I go for my first ART session. (See ART thread)

Anyone have any MRI anxiety? Please share.And, by the way it was a closed MRI. I've been in a closed one about 18 years ago and the second one was open on both sides.

Rusty Blades
06-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I have been in an open MRI a few times but never a closed one. I am a bit claustrophobic and it would probably take every bit of my meditative power to stay reasonably calm. (However, if they were monitoring my blood pressure they would certainly know something was up! 8O )

Sessy
06-22-2007, 03:32 PM
For two reasons:
1) Muscles are usually cold because people do one lap and then go stretch
2) It's cold in the rink which contributes to cold muscles

Oh no I always stretch after a session of jumping. Definately on warm muscles. Is it okay that way?

techskater
06-24-2007, 01:59 PM
That's as it should be. It's when you stroke around the rink once, go over to the boards and fling your leg up on the and start stretching that you'll have issues.