View Full Version : Landing jumps in programme vs training

Sessy
05-29-2007, 04:01 AM
Question... I mean everybody seems to be having difficulties with this, myself included. But why is it so much more harder to land a jump in programme than in practice? I mean in competition, there's nerves and stuff, no decent warming-up, etc, one could mess up.
But to jump a jump just in a programme while you're practicing, versus just practicing the jump alone, why is that different?

flikkitty11
05-29-2007, 05:20 AM
i think its cos:
a) your nervous
b) your focusing on the whole programme not just the jump you are attempting
c) there is alot of pressure
d) the warm up is way too short...
e) your tired at the end of your programme so its harder to land the end jumps

techskater
05-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Question... I mean everybody seems to be having difficulties with this, myself included. But why is it so much more harder to land a jump in programme than in practice? I mean in competition, there's nerves and stuff, no decent warming-up, etc, one could mess up.
But to jump a jump just in a programme while you're practicing, versus just practicing the jump alone, why is that different?

Because you need to practice the jump with the same set up outside the program that you have in the program (same for spins). If you don't, the speed and timing are a little different than out of the program just stroking around which makes all the difference. Once my programs are choreographed, I work on the elements outside the program as if they were in the program with the same set up. So for example, my combo spin comes out of the opening transitions of the program, so I do all the opening transitions up to and including the combo spin and I nail it in the program, the same way.

southernsk8er
05-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I am working on my first program and having trouble with this myself. I have to agree with the previous poster about doing the jumps with the transitions you have in your program. My coach has me work on sections of the program a lot so I can get the feel of the footwork into the jump, or the jump combo into the spin, etc. The very first time I did the whole program, I think I fell on every jump. Working the sections has really helped. As far as being nervous, I have no idea how I'm going to do it with my legs shaking... 8O

miraclegro
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes, everything is upped a notch or two when doing the elements in the program. I also have worked on segments around it, and recently (once again...ugh) have been jumping rope prior to getting on the ice to get those fast-twitch muscle fibers used to the hectic demand. Of course, nerves are another thing. and i've heard lots of "rememdies" for those. Recently, when people stop in to "sightsee" our rink, that is when i work on those parts of a program, as much as i get nervous in front of people, it gives me the opp to pretend these people are the crowd or that they are judges....
\
Of course i think anybody over the age of 38 should be allowed DOUBLE the warm up time! (that will never happen!)

doubletoe
05-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, whenever my coach asks to see an element, he expects me to do it in the location I do it in my program, and to start from the exit of the previous element and continue on to the entrance of the next element. That's how I practice every element, and it helps a lot when I actually do the elements in my program. Another thing that helps is to practice the last elements in your program when you are tired, so that you can still complete them at the end of your program (when you *will* be tired!).

blackmanskating
05-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, whenever my coach asks to see an element, he expects me to do it in the location I do it in my program, and to start from the exit of the previous element and continue on to the entrance of the next element. That's how I practice every element, and it helps a lot when I actually do the elements in my program. Another thing that helps is to practice the last elements in your program when you are tired, so that you can still complete them at the end of your program (when you *will* be tired!).

Same here!!! My coach makes me do all my jumps on the same patterns as my program. He says that when I do it this way, that I am training my program as well as the individual element. It's the best way to train. Maybe my programs aren't long enough yet but my adrenaline is rushing to much for me to feel tired. When I finally sit down, then my exhaustion finally registers to my brain.

BlackManskating