View Full Version : DallasSkater Update

DallasSkater
05-28-2007, 11:30 AM
:D It has been a while since I posted but I do occasionally peek in on you folks to stay in touch. Just thought I would give an update on me.

The most exciting news is that I hired a new coach at a different rink. I cannot tell you the difference this woman has made. She is professional, extremely talented in working with an adult that needs the verbal break down on what to do, and is just a good soul that I enjoy spending time with. I was so impressed when she was able to immediately identify why I was struggling on centering spins and just put in a few exercises that fixed it. I understand mechanically what I am suppose to be doing and that just makes worlds of difference in the actual behavior of doing. What I am most impressed by is her use of our time. It is always productive and her talents of assessment and immediate plan of correction makes it feel that I am UNDER paying for her service. It is little things too. Like she never fails to spend "free" time with me after our session to just chat, or offer insights or just discuss with the skating world. What a breath of fresh air!

I still have my coach at my home rink. I have severe loyalty issues and want to make sure I break with her respectfully. I felt it was not fair of me to leave her before I do my first competition with a program she choreographed. There are so many dynamics at my rink (worst with the recent firing of our skate director) that things are unsettled there now. I felt if I left now she would have other implications from the other staff. But I will do it and am only laying the foundation of doing it. She is threatened by my new coach but tolerating it well.

My little program has really come along. I feel so much more confident in being able to perform it. We replaced on spin with a camel spin (that I can not really do very well yet) but if it does not significantly improve by July then we do have an alternative. I only recently have been able to skate it clean consistently. Even impressed myself with having some stretch on a few more artistic-y moves that are in it. (this too is thanks to the new coach who made it look so easy!)

Only two weeks before I attend the Lake Placid adult week. This is my first camp thing ever! I feel like a little kid that gets to go! A bit worried that I may be the least skilled skater that attends but my excitement of being in that environment clearly overrides those concerns. I am ready for a break but one that includes unlimited skating ...well..I would give you a comparison of feelings..but it is inappropriate for a public forum...giggle. Yep, I think you guessed it.

One concern I have is that I am being heavily recruited for a position that would be a major career change. I am in private practice now that affords me opportunity to schedule in my skating. Wondering what the impact would be but this is a career opportunity that is hard to ignore. I will always skate. Worried about how often though.

That's about it! Good to see everyone.

(Oh, and Sonya...I know you are peeking in here...I told you I sometimes post here...now let's see yours!)

jazzpants
05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Glad to hear that you're still skating and doing well, DallasSkater. That's a tough issue to deal with re: coaches. And I'm probably the worst person to ask for advice about this issue since I've been with my primary coach for about 7.5 years now.

Think you can recruit SpaMama onto the ice anytime soon??? ;) (Hi, SpaMama! I see you started a thread too. Now let's see you break out the booties!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

Sk8pdx
05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Think you can recruit SpaMama onto the ice anytime soon??? ;) (Hi, SpaMama! I see you started a thread too. Now let's see you break out the booties!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

I second that motion!!!:lol:

Dallas, so good to hear all of the positive change going on. Even though the fear of the unknown can bring anxiety, In the end it will turn out for good. I think you have already seen the greatness come out of the lessons and improvements with your new coach.

As far as the job change thing, go for it! I went through a job change last fall and found it was something that wasn't for me and I was able to return to my former employer as I hadn't burned any bridges. I have found through hindsight, that it was all for the best. I have grown through that experience. I was fortunate to have open doors because of the a unique relationship I have with my old/new now present boss.

Wow! Came spins now. I am real excited for you! I remember seeing you in the beginning stages of "waltz hopping" across the blue hockey line.

Seeing how you have improved and getting to see SpaMama on the ice just might be worth making a trip there some day. :P (but not in the middle of freakin' July which I was able to avoid this year).

DallasSkater
05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Jazz: Thanks for your message. I remember when I first joined this board and heard you speak of your coach. I wanted one that good! I would stay with him for 7.5 years too!

Sk8pdx: Well, there you are! I never heard back from the last email and wondered if your email changed with the move? Good to see you. Thanks for the encouragement. And yes, I think you would see the improvement that a year more has made! If I recall correctly, I had only been skating 6 months when you were here...and I was mighty proud of those little waltz hops for this old mare progressing from wall hugging to hops in months! giggle. But they no longer require the blue line and actually look decent now! Don't be too excited about the camel...still working on consistency and revolutions...but it is my new challenge to get it in my program.

Ok guys,,,I gave Spa a real college try! I failed. I gave up a while back! I thought the blue boots would grow on her..but no such luck ...giggle. She is often outside the rink looking on and even worked crazy hours utilizing those Mama skills during our clubs big competition of the year. She was a bit of a cookie pusher but I forgave her quickly when there were even fruits as options! (I won't comment on the doughnuts right beside them!) The last thing my camel spin attempts need is a cookie hanging from my hips!

Good to see you guys and thanks for responding.

dbny
05-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Congratulations on finding such a great coach, making so much progress, and beginning the difficult job of breaking away from your current coach.

Don't worry about LP adult camp. You will not be the least skilled skater there (having been there myself, with the same worry). Don't forget, either, that in any level, some skaters will be better at some skills than others, who may well be better in different skills.

SpaMama
05-29-2007, 10:46 AM
You know, I am standing right here, I can hear you!!!

Seriously though, Dallas is doing great! She is so smooth on the ice, I
can't wait to be her surrogate skate mom for the comp!

I think I am afraid I will like it and will only be able to skate public sessions - because of $$$$$. Turns out my other DS is a talented rock climber and lots of the comps are out of town, like skating comps. We go to divisionals next week - 4 airline tickets, several nights hotel, you know the routine. We have had SO MUCH RAIN (no 100 degree heat yet!) that it has been hard to collect money from our business (swimming pools). So, no money for me right now!!!

But, now that the kids are on summer break, I do feel like our time is not so pressured, so maybe the blue booties will meet my feet soon................

SpaMama

jazzpants
05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
You know, I am standing right here, I can hear you!!!WOW!!! Impressive that you can HEAR a written post!!! 8O In any case, GOOD!!! It's INTENDED for you to READ anyway!!! :twisted: :P

I think I am afraid I will like it and will only be able to skate public sessions - because of $$$$$. Turns out my other DS is a talented rock climber and lots of the comps are out of town, like skating comps. We go to divisionals next week - 4 airline tickets, several nights hotel, you know the routine. We have had SO MUCH RAIN (no 100 degree heat yet!) that it has been hard to collect money from our business (swimming pools). So, no money for me right now!!!Yeah, I'm trying to keep a lid on my spending too! Just got hit with a HUGE bill for my car "maintanance!!!" :evil: :x :frus:

But, now that the kids are on summer break, I do feel like our time is not so pressured, so maybe the blue booties will meet my feet soon................Riiiight!!! Don't tease us like that, SpaMama!!! :twisted: I'll believe it when I hear from DallasSkater about it!!! :P :lol: ;)

DallasSkater
05-29-2007, 09:33 PM
DBNY: Thanks...good to know about LP. I wish you were going this year! I think I am the only one from here going in June. Would have been so wonderful to meet some folks in real time. Partner is going with me. Hopefully we will have opportunity to white water raft, horseback ride etc too. I think it is just going to be a pretty place!

SpaMama: It is hard to have two talented daughters. But being the step child is really tough as I do not have their talent nor their plane ticket!...What do you mean just FOUR TICKETS? You just are out of excuses on the blue booties...public ice is just as good as FS when school is in...in fact sometimes better! In blue bootie phase...it will be just fine in off season summer too! Just sayin'

soniaissuper
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey DallasSkater!

Congrats on all the progress! Folks I can be a typing testimonial for DS. Have fun at Lake Placid if I don't catch you in the rink before you leave. Can't wait to hear about it.

S

DallasSkater
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Soniaissuper is a great screen name... I love when women do not suffer from self esteem issue!
I will very likely see you this weekend as I will at your rink several times. But if I don't see you, thanks! I will give you details when I come home to better entice you to participate in this adult week next year!

Did you see how many on this thread are going the NJ one? Pipe up and you will pre meet some of your fellow skaters!

Figureskates
06-02-2007, 09:33 AM
You will have a great time in Lake Placid....

I have been doing the August Adult week for 7 years...

This will be my second June Adult Week...

DallasSkater
06-03-2007, 07:28 AM
FigureSkates: I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you in person there! I was not aware anyone else from this thread was going. Good to know that you have returned for more for that many years. Speaks well of the experience.

I intend to do quite a bit of private coaching. I have not scheduled with anyone as I would take group classes first and assess who would be helpful to me. They say the popular ones get booked up pretty fast. A little worried about that as I think they are booked for good reason. Do you typically do private lessons too? Any recommendations for a good freestyle coach for adults? Not sure which ones are the popular ones and I was told this by LP staff. I was not sure if I was told this because they just wanted a to advance book. I am close to my competition so want someone who could help with that. Any thoughts?

We have a whole ceremony of the "taking down of suitcases" prior to vacations that will happen today. It alerts my furry cold nose child. So as exciting as it is for us...it is the signal of alone time for him. giggle. He will cope as I love the anticipation of vacation!

Figureskates
06-03-2007, 08:38 AM
DallasSkater,

I take lessons up there but primarily figures...

Tell me what you are working on in freestyle and what level you are at and I can get you some names. I know all the coaches since the Skating Club of Lake Placid is my home club. My wife and I are going to retire to Lake Placid in a few years.

During the opening party Sunday evening is the time that a lot of skaters sign up with coaches.

You can't miss me at the opening night party as I am one of few males and I will probably have my LP club jacket on since we skate in the 1932 rink after the orientation for an hour or so and it's usually cool.

DallasSkater
06-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Figureskates: Thanks for the kind offer of names of coaches that might be a good fit for me. That will be helpful information. As a newbie to skate weeks..I feel a bit blind.

I am skating at the pre bronze level in USFSA and ISI 3-4. My objective for this week will be to first have fun and decompress in true vacation form but to really concentrate on preparing for my first competition that will be in July. If I learn something new there, that would be wonderful. But my intent will be to use the classes with elements in my program for additional input and practice..and the private coaching sessions to help me refine what is already in the program and work on presentation skills. I will also take all the endurance classes to help with a calorie burn! As a skater who has been skating only 17 months, I would like to have better grace on ice of those that have been skating longer. I can jump through single loop and am trying to get the camel spin consistent and good enough to be in the program. They are my newer challenges. The loop is not in my program...and good thing as it is really new to me!

I am not picky on the age or gender or even background of the coach as I am not that skilled to require a huge resume (but would not mind that too). I prefer a coach that is hands on, verbal in the mechanics of what they are teaching, and utilizes their coaching time in a serious manner. I love to cut up and chat,,,just not during my paid time! giggle. A good freestyle coach with more show/choreography type of experience would be my first guess at what I am looking for. I do not want a supervised practice style as much as I want instruction style. I am open to taking lessons from several different coaches while there to get varied input. I plan to take full advantage of the skating time and expertise! I read about one coach that had all the ballet background. Thought that might be an option as it would help with refining.

Good to learn that there is skating after the orientation. I was not sure about that. Sure makes a difference in what I would have shown up wearing! lol. So looking forward to meeting you. Sounds like you will indeed be easy to identify so I will approach you and introduce myself. Since I entered skating so late in life, I have not seen much live figures from someone concentrated in those skills. How exciting that I will get to see that! I will be peeking in on your lessons!

Again, thank you in advance for any coach specific insight you may have!