View Full Version : screw doesn't screw in properly?

ouijaouija
05-28-2007, 08:20 AM
On both skates the same screw on the bottom doesn't screw in tight, you can just pull it out. Is this dangerous?

ALl the other screws are fne but the same screw on both the skates dont?

Award
05-28-2007, 08:29 AM
It's hard to say if it's dangerous or not right now. But finding loose screws is a cue for servicing on the skates. It is usually good to have all the screws doing their job.

jp1andOnly
05-28-2007, 08:32 AM
the hole is stripped. You can fix it yourself by filling it wil small pieces of wood and glue (like toothpicks and wood glue), let it dry and then put in a screw or you can take it to the skate shop to get fixed.

MQSeries
05-28-2007, 02:20 PM
On both skates the same screw on the bottom doesn't screw in tight, you can just pull it out. Is this dangerous?

ALl the other screws are fne but the same screw on both the skates dont?

You wouldn't want the screw to unknowingly dislodge on the ice, and someone trip over it. I would bring the skates to the shop and have them attach new screws into unused holes, if possible, or plug up the existing holes and put in new screws.

SynchroSk8r114
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I've had this happen to me before. Granted, my skates are 8 years old, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. In my case, the bottom of my boot has rotten away from water seeping in (thanks to a bad sealing job at the factory). I tried to have them plugged via a toothpick-and-glue method mentioned above, but that was a joke. :roll: I've also had a skate shop attempt to fix them, which also didn't help much. What did work (and I know it sounds bad for your boots, but it's not) was to sauter (sp?) metal (I think that's what I used) into the screw hole and replace the screw before the metal hardens and dries. Worked like a charm and I haven't had a problem since. It's worth a try! ;)

But whatever you decide, get 'em fixed! I had about three screws come out of my landing foot's boot a few years ago while doing a double salchow. Not fun! :??

Award
05-28-2007, 04:01 PM
was to sauter (sp?) metal (I think that's what I used) into the screw hole and replace the screw before the metal hardens...

Wow.....you used solder to fill the hole? That's one possible method to fix it up I guess. But some possible disadvantages here is that solder requires quite a high temperature to melt, and it could end up doing something to the sole of the boot (or something), and solder probably does not bind very well to boot material, unless the hole itself is metal. And if this method is applied to more screws on the boot, then it could become difficult to remove those screws again in the future. This is because you'd need to heat up every soldered screw at once in order to pull them all out simultaneously, which could be a fiddly task to accomplish.