View Full Version : Riedell Figure Skates

Coldfete
05-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Does anyone have any experience / views / opinions / knowledge etc. of Riedell Red Ribbon 117, Blue Ribbon 121 and Bronze Medallion 280 ice skates in terms of comfort, quality and weight, and their suitability for novice skaters?

CanAmSk8ter
05-28-2007, 09:00 AM
If I'm remembering correctly, my old skate fitter used to put preschool beginners in Red Ribbons and elementary school-age beginners in Blue Ribbons. I don't think the Blue Ribbon has nearly the support an adult would need, even just to start out. I have a student right now who's probably eight years old and about sixty-five, seventy pounds and she just got the Bronze Medallions. My rink uses its own learn-to-skate program but she'd be about Basic 8 or Freestyle 1. That makes me think an adult true beginner would want the Bronze Medallion or the next one up, depending on size and the amount of skating he/she does, but that's just a guess on my part.

As far as fit and comfort, I despised the Riedells (even the C width was nowhere near wide enough for me) but the pro shop at my rink carries only Riedells and most of our kids and adults have no problem with them. Any of my students who have wider feet I send to the guy I go to about an hour away who carries Jacksons. If you have a shop near you with a knowledgable staff, go there. Ask some of the skaters and coaches at your rink where they go for skates. Chances are they'll carry at least a few different brands you can try on, and they'll be able to judge which boot you should have better than any of us can.

gt20001
05-28-2007, 09:05 AM
If I'm remembering correctly, my old skate fitter used to put preschool beginners in Red Ribbons and elementary school-age beginners in Blue Ribbons. I don't think the Blue Ribbon has nearly the support an adult would need, even just to start out. I have a student right now who's probably eight years old and about sixty-five, seventy pounds and she just got the Bronze Medallions. My rink uses its own learn-to-skate program but she'd be about Basic 8 or Freestyle 1. That makes me think an adult true beginner would want the Bronze Medallion or the next one up, depending on size and the amount of skating he/she does, but that's just a guess on my part.

As far as fit and comfort, I despised the Riedells (even the C width was nowhere near wide enough for me) but the pro shop at my rink carries only Riedells and most of our kids and adults have no problem with them. Any of my students who have wider feet I send to the guy I go to about an hour away who carries Jacksons. If you have a shop near you with a knowledgable staff, go there. Ask some of the skaters and coaches at your rink where they go for skates. Chances are they'll carry at least a few different brands you can try on, and they'll be able to judge which boot you should have better than any of us can.

I agree as to the blue medallion 121 i had those as my first skates as a beginning adult and i hated them i only had them a month becuase they were always hurting and didnt have good support i switched to the jackson elites and a better blade and was surprised what a difference the support and better blades made i wouldnt recommend them for an adult either, Also when i got fitted for my elites the pro shop was surprised that another pro shop had put me in those skates they said they wouldnt sell them to anyone over a size 2 that they are meant more for kids than adults,

DallasSkater
05-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I love the Riedell brand but it just seems to be a good fit for my feet. I seriously considered the 280's but ended up with customs for other reasons. The 280's are a good adult beginner boot with plans of freestyle as they are padded better than the cheaper lower numbered ones and are leather compared to plastic or what ever that is. They are still inexpensive enough.

I was warned to not buy too much boot for my ability as a beginner. But seriously glad I went with a better boot as I had no break in time and they do not have to be replaced as my skills improved over the course of 18 months. I would have already been replacing the 280's had I got them. My suggestion would be to try on all brands to see what your foot does well with and then get higher but not too high for your ability if you are beyond the super basic stuff. I skated the first few months in plastic cheapy ones that did just fine. Spending a couple hundred and then replacing to several hundred a year later is not a good idea in my opinion. The 280's come with a blade. But I made the mistake of getting better boots and then using the MK 21 blades (that come on the 280's) only having to replace the blade within a year. I would not do that again.

Good luck with finding what works for you!

CaraSkates
05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

I started in Blue Ribbons (Riedell 121 for adults, 21 for kids I think). I'm 5' 6", 140lbs and was 14 when I started skating. I wore them for about a year, only 6 months was actual serious skating with lessons, the first 6 I just skated open public sessions and messed around with little waltz jumps. I learned up through a toe loop in singles and all the half jumps. My coach refused to let me work on full flips and loops till I got better boots. I switched to old model Silver Stars (compare to Gold Medallion) and MK Pro blades, wore those for a year, landed all my singles, then upgraded to the new Silver Stars and stuck with my MK Pros. I've had these pair for 15 months and I'd like them to last through the end of the summer. My next boot will probably be another pair of Silver Stars. My coach has almost all her competitive students in Silver Stars at the moment with either MK Pros or Pattern 99s (skating levels No Test - Juv). So, I would say, an adult even to start out could start in Gold Medallions or depending on the person, Silver Stars. A couple people at my rink had problems with the new style Gold Medallions breaking down in a matter of three months so that concerns me a little. I do love my Silver Stars though!

Coldfete
05-29-2007, 02:38 AM
Thank you all for your comments which together with advice I have received from other quarters seem to lead to the conclusion that I should stay well away from the lower end Riedells.

Maris
05-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi!
I have Riedell Gold Medallion with Jubilee blade (have had them 2 years) and now I would like to buy new ones (something like next level). Is Risport RF3 next level or the same as Gold Medallion? I would like to try something else next to Riedell, to see the difference :). I have skated 3 years, can do all single jumps (exc axel). Is RF3 good choice? And which blade is good? I`ve red posts about boots and blades, but lots of these brands here suggested (like Klingbeil, Harlick) are not available here.
Thanks in advance :)
Maris