View Full Version : A friendly note from FSWer

FSWer
05-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Hello everyone. It was suggested that I post this. I know this is a little off-topic. But since the majority of posters are skaters, I'd really like for them to know me, so I'll post it here. To start,it's been a long while since I've been here. So let me reintroduce myself. My name is Dana. I'm almost 40 and male. I really intruely LOVE Skating.My fav. Disciplines are Pairs,Dance,and Synchro. I don't know how many of you here are of what Discipline. But I find all 3 very,very graceful indeed. I surely enjoy going to Competitions and Shows. As well as watching Skating on TV. I also took a Learn to Skate Program just for fun,and even though I didn't pass a whole level,and just past Falling and recovery,as well as Forward Strides and Gliding. I still have my very own pair of skates. LOL,they are Hockey ones though. So anyway, I'm surely hoping to find some other chatters and skaters here who share my intrest in those Disciplines as well...and even if you do like Singles. I'll still be glad to talk with you. Please don't be shy or even scared. Also if we have any new people here who I haven't met yet....Please,oh please feel free to introduce yourself. As I'm very nice,and would love to make new friends.

sk8er1964
05-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi FSWer -

I know you from FSU :)

My name is sk8er1964. I like singles best, although I have done some pairs and it is very, very fun too! (I'm not very good for pairs, though, because I am kind of too big to lift :( ) I am an adult skater, and I love to jump. I also love footwork, and tolerate spins. I figure when I can't jump any more, I'll move to adult synchro and/or dance. I think it is very cool that you went to learn to skate, knowing how much you wanted to try! 8-)

I like mens singles best to watch. I absolutely love the way Johnny Weir skates - but I like Evan and Jeffrey Buttle and Eman (when he's on) too. I usually watch US nationals and worlds (and of course the Olympics), but if I miss a grand prix or two, it doesn't really matter much to me. Although I am not a dance fan, I know a couple of up and coming junior teams so I follow via the internet what they are doing on the junior grand prix circuit.

Raye
05-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi there: My name is Raye, I am 52 today and female and I love all skating diciplines. I practice figures as well as dance, freeskate synchro and singles. This past year I got together with another girlfriend and choreographed a similar pairs routine! That was so much fun that we decided to take it to Canadian Adult Nationals where we won the Silver medal for our number!

I am a true competition junkie and the queen of overdoing things! If I am going to travel anywhere to compete - I will be entering every event that I am even remotely qualified for. Not to mention there is no such thing as too much ice-time!

Nice to meet you:D

Clarice
05-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi, FSWer!

I know you from FSU, too. I took my first Learn To Skate class when I was 37. and fell in love with the sport. I did only singles for a long time, but started synchro a couple of years ago and dance just this year. Our synchro team just got enough members to be a "real" team this year - you have to have at least 8. Up until now, 4 or 5 of us skated numbers in shows, but in a couple of weeks the team is doing its first competition. We're very excited! It's only an exhibition, because we're the only adult team entered, but it will still be fun to skate in front of judges. I'm taking my first dance tests at the same competition. My female coach will be my partner for the test - I don't have a male partner yet. Maybe someday! But in the meantime I hope to start competing in solo dance. I have a daughter who skates, too. She does singles and is taking dance tests. This summer she hopes to do a fun number in the show with her boyfriend, who is a hockey player. They want to see what pairs or dance moves they might be able to do - it should be very interesting to see what they come up with, since he can't jump or spin!

Welcome back to skatingforums, and I'm sure that besides meeting many new people you will find that a lot of your old friends post here, too.

Clarice

Rusty Blades
05-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I am .... the queen of overdoing things!

Now you hold on there Raye - that's a might close race up here and I don't think the Queen has been crowned yet! ;)

Dianne, 57, skating for just over a year at my first Nationals just over 2 months ago (with Raye 8-) ).Did an Interpretive this year; going back next year with another Interpretive and a Free (just to bug Raye again - LOL!)

Raye
05-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Dianne: You ARE a worthy contender for my crown :bow: :bow: :bow: - Let the games begin!!!

jazzpants
05-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Alright! I'll bite...

My name is jazzpants and I am YOUR age! (I see that you're 39 and you'll have a birthday in about a month. I turn the BIG 40 in November. 8O ) I am also on FSU as well and am sorry to hear that you're not able to get back onto that board.

I have been skating since June of 1999 - will be my EIGHTH year soon!!! 8O I am a relatively newly minted USFSA Adult Bronze FS lady and am quite happy and proud to say that I'm finally working on my Bronze FS program for my Adult Nationals debut at Lake Placid. (Those who have gone to Adult Nationals for many years knows that Lake Placid seems to be the place that Adult Nationals keeps coming back to every so often for some reason... and I want to go there once just to see why! :P )

My next BIG goals (now that I've completed the goal to qualify to compete at Adult Nationals ;) ) are 1) to finally land a clean axel, followed by 2) to compete at Championship Adult Gold Ladies event at Adult Nationals. :bow: I'm not expecting to meet EITHER of these goal given my lower back problems... HOWEVER, I would love to give these goals a good "ol' college try" and see if I can do this! Medals and placements means little to me other than to see if I have made any progress! My skating goals are strictly on what jumps, spins, footwork and skating tests I can do/pass. I think it's safe to say that it's a MUCH SANER and realistic approach to skating for me. But I do compete b/c to me it's part of the learning process of skating (see if I could do my program under pressure.) Besides, I like meeting my fellow adult skaters from all over the world and making new friends!!! :bow:

I have two wonderful coaches! Primary coach is a male and recently competed in Masters Interpretative this year but overall considers himself "a retired adult skater." He's QUITE popular in the Adult Skater's circles! Secondary coach is a female and is current just coaching and not skating herself (and SHOULD!!! :twisted: She knows she really wants to do this... :P ) When I visit my in-laws in New York, I also visit a third (male) coach that is just a spectacular coach and skater in his own right! :bow:

Like sk8er1964, I LOVE watching the men singles best! I LOVE watch men skate! Mo' men skating, mo' bettah!!! :bow:

FIGHT! FIGHT!!! Oh, it will be interesting to see who wins the crown for "Queen of Overdoing Things" over there -- Raye or Rusty Blades!!! :bow:

BelleBway
05-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi! I haven't posted here at all although I also know FSWer and others from FSU... so I figured this is as good a time as any to say hi. :)

I'm an adult skater; I started in Nov 2005 after having been on the ice maybe a handful of times in my entire life. I'd never done anything remotely athletic but I wanted to give it a try. Taking group lessons made me realize I liked the sport and I wasn't completely horrible at it. I really kicked things in gear last fall by starting private lessons. I can't jump or really spin yet, but I've been making lots of progress lately thanks partly to having a fabulous coach who is really committed to helping me and trying to get me not to over-stress myself (I'm a perfectionist). I don't have too many specific goals, but I want to go as far with my skating as I can wherever that takes me. I guess the one thing I would really like to do is to skate a program to music.

I've been watching skating for years (both on TV and traveling to competitions), but now enjoy getting on the ice even more.

Raye
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Welcome Belle! So glad you have joined us (in both skating and posting)

blackmanskating
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Nice to meet you FSWer. I love skating too!!!! It's done a lot for my confidence, self esteem, and most importantly . . .my waist!!! :halo: I lost almost 40 pounds since I started skating. I am addicted to singles skating. Mainly the Men's competition because the technical standard is so high and it's the event that I can relate to the most since I'm a guy. I haven't been skating long, (Only 16 months) but I've progressed pretty quickly. I'll be 25 next month.

I have never tested and I have never competed but I plan on testing through Silver MITF and Freestyle with a possibility of advancing to Gold level by the end of this year. I plan on making my competition debut at Adult Sectionals in 08 followed by Nationals if I perform well. My big goal for this year is to land my double axel and to move on to triples by summer 08. I am currently landing most of my doubles.

Again it's good to meet you. 8-)

BlackManSkating

FSWer
05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Say everyone. I have also heard that some members here have actually met me in real life at Shows and Competitions. Gee,I wish I had known it was some of you when we did met. As I've always wanted to meet my chat friends in real life,and possibly even begin aa real life friendship. So everyone,if any of you should ever meet me either alone or with my mom or sister or anybody. Please always feel fre to say hi,and even say you are from the boards. Please don't ever be shy. I think we could all become best friends in real life too.

kander
05-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi!

My name is Kevin and I've been skating as an adult since 1992. I also skated as a kid back in the early 1970s. My base of operations is in the San Fransico bay area. I had to quit a few years ago because of back problems, but I got myself into a gym with a personal trainer about a year and a half ago. I've been able to skate (relatively) pain free for the past year. I really missed it and am glad to be back on the ice. My skating level isn't what it used to be, but I'm more than happy just to be able to do it again. I was also the proprietor of the "Technical Figure Skating Page", which had some noteriety and relevence before Youtube came along. I think it still exists somewhere on a Spanish ISP.

Kevin

flippet
05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Kevin--hey! Your Technical Figure Skating Page was awesome! It really helped me a lot when I was just beginning.

Great to see you on the boards! :D

blackmanskating
06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi!

My name is Kevin and I've been skating as an adult since 1992. I also skated as a kid back in the early 1970s. My base of operations is in the San Fransico bay area. I had to quit a few years ago because of back problems, but I got myself into a gym with a personal trainer about a year and a half ago. I've been able to skate (relatively) pain free for the past year. I really missed it and am glad to be back on the ice. My skating level isn't what it used to be, but I'm more than happy just to be able to do it again. I was also the proprietor of the "Technical Figure Skating Page", which had some noteriety and relevence before Youtube came along. I think it still exists somewhere on a Spanish ISP.

Kevin

Yeah Kevin I agree with Flippet. Your page helped me pick out skates and do my first forward scratch spin!!! Man I remember that!!! It was the first time that I rotated like that and I got so dizzy that I fell over. :lol:

BlackManSkating

looplover
06-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Alright! I'll bite...

My name is jazzpants and I am YOUR age! (I see that you're 39 and you'll have a birthday in about a month. I turn the BIG 40 in November. 8O )

OOH I am turning 40 in November too!

*toasts all scorpios turning 40 in November*

I'm Barbara, returned to skating in 2004 after a looooong hiatus and FINALLY passed ISI FS4 (was plateaued there for a bit) - recently moved and will join USFSA this month....really, really hope to compete in bronze at AN2008. Have to take four tests - first two will be in July, hope the next two will be in August. Just got a great new coach and like my new rink as well. Also liked old coach and old rink.

I have a new respect for ice dancing after fracturing my shoulder on a back inside three turn, but for now I really want to jump and get as far as I can get in USFSA. Goals listed below :)

I echo the rest...I LOVE to watch the guys skate, esp. crazily fast straight line footwork. Also love to see Sascha do that. Wish I could do crazily fast straight line footwork but I can't even get brackets down yet :P

I have AOSS, at work the other day I was daydreaming my olympic program complete with many triple jumps. Dreaming is nice!

FSWer
06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Kevin--hey! Your Technical Figure Skating Page was awesome! It really helped me a lot when I was just beginning.

Great to see you on the boards! :D

HEY FLIPPET!!!!!! LONG TIME,NO SEE!!!!! How have you been feelin' chum?

LilJen
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Hiya. Just turned 38 (I'm told my rinkmates guessed me in my late 20s/early 30s; whether I truly look young or they were just buttering me up--who knows??). I've skated recreationally here and there all my life (and reeeeeally wanted to take lessons as a kid, but it never happened), starting on a pond in New Jersey (dad wanted us all to play hockey like him!), but never took lessons until a couple of group sessions around age 30. Didn't know what to do next--I had no idea there were adults out there jumping, spinning, competing--so I left it behind while starting a family. Took it up again about a year ago after Nationals, Olympics, the trainwreck of Skating with Celebrities, and discovered this whole world of adult skaters who are just as fanatical as I am!!

I breezed through all the USFS LTS levels last summer and was set to take the pre-bronze MITF test when I broke my ankle. Been off the ice for nearly 5weeks now and I hate it!! I'll be off for a few weeks more, I imagine, but I'm hoping to pick up where I left off, though jumping will probably have to wait a while.

kander
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah Kevin I agree with Flippet. Your page helped me pick out skates and do my first forward scratch spin!!! Man I remember that!!! It was the first time that I rotated like that and I got so dizzy that I fell over. :lol:

BlackManSkating

Nice to know my page almost caused an injury :) Right before I quit skating I had almost finished a brand new web site for technical skating. I tripled the number of example clips. I used it as an excuse to learn Javascript. I made this little Easter egg that had a zamboni drive across the page and "clean" it if you clicked on the right thing. I probably still have it on my computer somewhere.

Kevin

jak0203
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
My name is Jacki. I have been skating since January of 2006. I am currently skating at Adult Bronze. My goals are to land an axel and some doubles, and I would like to compete at Championship Gold at Adult Nationals. I am also hoping to go to my first Nationals this year at Lake Placid.

blackmanskating
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Nice to know my page almost caused an injury :) Right before I quit skating I had almost finished a brand new web site for technical skating. I tripled the number of example clips. I used it as an excuse to learn Javascript. I made this little Easter egg that had a zamboni drive across the page and "clean" it if you clicked on the right thing. I probably still have it on my computer somewhere.

Kevin

Sounds Awesome. What happened?? How come you never created the new site??? I'm sure there is a lot I could learn from more slow mo clips.

momsk8er
06-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I'm a 50ish skater, who skated as a child. I loved skating then, but never got past my single jumps. I came back to skating two years ago when my daughter switched from hockey to figure skating. I am slowly making my way back to my single jumps. Working on FS4 and my pre-bronze MIF. Started with my very own coach a month ago. How exciting! Definitely hooked on figure skating, and kicking myself for ever quitting. My daughter is mostly a lurker on this forum too. I will let her introduce herself if she wants to.:D

dbny
06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I was also the proprietor of the "Technical Figure Skating Page", which had some noteriety and relevence before Youtube came along. I think it still exists somewhere on a Spanish ISP.

Kevin

It's right HERE (http://oasis.dit.upm.es/~jantonio/personal/patinaje/index.htm)!

altamaleskater
06-09-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm Derek, 36, and last skated at Adult Nationals in Calgary (with Raye & Dianne). Currently at Prelim Dance & Freeskate. I have only been figure skating since Oct. of 2005, before that I had a little experience on the ice but knew almost nothing about figure skating moves.

jazzpants
06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
OOH I am turning 40 in November too!

*toasts all scorpios turning 40 in November*CHING-CHING to all you Scorpios, especially those turning 40 this year!!! :mrgreen:

I was also the proprietor of the "Technical Figure Skating Page", which had some noteriety and relevence before Youtube came along. I think it still exists somewhere on a Spanish ISP.I think I STILL have clips of this strange male skater from your very, VERY old website. I think the skater was from Psychosia (sp?) by the name of Nivek Nosredna! :P :lol:

Hiya. Just turned 38 (I'm told my rinkmates guessed me in my late 20s/early 30sI apparently seemed to have that same blessing myself. I was told by a skater last time I was competing at Skate SF that I don't look like I'm in group III. (I was turning 38 the next day then.) She thought "at least a II, if not a I!" 8O

BLESS YOU WOMAN!!! BLESS YOU!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :lol:

WOW!!! We got more male skaters here!!! Mo' bettah!!! Mo' bettah!!! :D