View Full Version : American waltz

*JennaD*
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
hey guys

sooo I have tested my american twice so far and failed both times...with all needs improvements!!! I was wondering if anyone has any tips on the dance...like what judges like and stuff?

The second tme I tested it, I was nto dancing with my normal partner, so that is probably why I failed, but I spoke to my coach at practice and he said that my dance should have passed!

So I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas about having a better "waltz style" and stuff? Thnks!!

jazzpants
05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Just for grins.... Did you get back the test forms from the judges from the second time you've taken the test? What did the judges say were specific things to improve on... or they just said EVERYTHING needs to be worked on? *confused*

SynchroSk8r114
05-25-2007, 05:07 PM
The American Waltz is just a dreaded dance, isn't it? I mean, a fast waltz?! You gotta be kidding me!

Well, I just tested this and passed (second time though). My advice (and the judges' main complaint to me the first time) is to look waltzy. Whatever it takes to get you there - do! Soft arms, great posture, pointed toe and straight knees. They teared me apart for the knee action the first time around, so I really worked on getting the down-up-down motion and they loved it. Plus, smile! It's the easiest thing you can do to create expression, and it also helps relax you and put you at ease. Finally, my partner suggested this and as stupid as I felt, it really helped: put the music on (if you have it available), stand in front of a mirror, and practice using your head, rolling through your back (lean), and just try and walk the dance out looking as waltz-esque as possible. I swear, you'll feel like an idiot, but do it in the privacy of your own room or something and it may be a little more bearable. Good luck! Keep me updated on your progess!

As for pattern, make certain that:
1. Your 3-turn in the middle of the ice is dead center on that red line! It's usually right in front of the judges and they'll fail you if it's not in place!
2. Your 3-turns on the end patterns are on the axis (which is the goalie line area, if you know where I mean).
3. Your 3-turns are at the top of your lobes (unlike the turns on the European, which are slightly past top). They'll fail you if your 3-turn points do not face into the tops of your lobes.

Oh, and as for what judges like - I know there's one judge who hates over-the-boot tights, insists on white, polished skates (which for me meant taking off all my beige synchro tape!), hates underwear showing (haha, who doesn't?), and generally wants you to be perfect. So, try to look as beautiful as possible. It can't hurt, esp. if you have a male judge. My coach said, "Just go out there, smile, and let them look at you!"

*JennaD*
05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Just for grins.... Did you get back the test forms from the judges from the second time you've taken the test? What did the judges say were specific things to improve on... or they just said EVERYTHING needs to be worked on? *confused*

I briefly saw the paper from my second test...and there were a whole bunch of complaints, nothing too specific...that judge was in a HORRIBLE mood...he madea t least 4 people solo in about half an hour...he was crazy!

*JennaD*
05-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Its true...I am beginnng to HATE this dance....first of all,its a fast waltz, and second of all because I've failed it twice!!

Thanks for hte suggestions...I think I am going to try that standing in front of a mirror thing...I bet it will help me...I am off the ice for a while until the summer session starts, so from now until then, I can at least work on the AMerican somehow! Hopefully my third attempt at this dance will be the charm! :giveup:

jenlyon60
05-25-2007, 09:33 PM
The big thing that bit me the 2nd time was that I was whipping the 3's somewhat and my timing was slightly off on some of the turns.

The first time I tested it, I stepped forward weird going into the last 3-turn of the 2nd pattern and stumbled and had to put my foot down early. Needless to say, it was right in front of the judges and I knew as soon as I did it that no matter how good the rest of the dance was (and it was okay but not spectacular) that I would fail it. (I did pass my Tango the same test session, 5 or 10 minutes later, though. We actually thought the AW was only possibly passable and threw it out for testing partly to serve as a distractor for me from the Tango. And I guess it worked.)

CanAmSk8ter
05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Does anyone like this dance? I've failed it... I think four times now. The third time I tested, two judges failed me and the third passed me .2 over standard. :frus: This is going down as "the dance that pushed me over the edge into adult tests so I don't have to solo anymore", LOL. I really wanted to at least finish my Silver test standard (I've got the Rocker and the Tango, just need the American) but I :giveup:

Needless to say, I don't have any great advice since I can't pass the darn thing myself. Timing was never my issue (not one of the main ones, anyway ;) )but I gather that for a lot of skaters it is- make sure the threes are turned on the ones and fours.

phoenix
05-26-2007, 06:51 PM
This one took me 3 tries. It's deceptively difficult.

Along w/ the other good advice here (once I failed it simply because the downs weren't DOWN enough & the ups weren't UP enough), I'll add a few tips.

--TIMING is deceptive on this dance! You think you're on time, but you're really the tiniest bit behind. You need to think of it this way: the ONE and FOUR are not on the step and the swing, but on the POSE that both of those create. So, you actually need to step the minutest fraction of a second *before* the beat, so that the pose (full leg extension) is struck on beat one.

--You must rebend *while keeping edge integrity* on the backward to forward steps, so you can get a good clean push. For me, this took a lot of work to get it cleaned up.

--They'll kill you on expression for this one. In addition to the downs & ups, I added lilty arms, tilted head, big smile, etc. It did make a difference.

But this is definitely the place where you'll learn to control those 3 turns & rebend out of them before the next step, esp. since the European solo requirement is gone. This is now the one where everyone gets stuck awhile. I did tons of the alternating 3 turn exercise from Prelim moves, but do it bigger & down the ice instead of across...and work on building speed, & making each new step neat w/ a knee bend/feet together/push as you do it, rather than the lunge onto the new foot as you fall off balance! THEN, do it with your hands behind your back. Seriously. :twisted:

CanAmSk8ter, don't give up on testing standard track!! It takes more work, a LOT more, but it's so worth it!!

*JennaD*
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
What's annoying is that all the people at my club pass EVERYTHING...there is one girl who learned the American about 2 weeks ago and im almost SURE she passed it...and I'vebeen working on it for the longest time and cannot pass! But its so true, its way harder than one would think....!

phoenix
05-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Have you ever had yourself video'd? That can be very helpful & enlightening.

*JennaD*
05-27-2007, 06:39 PM
No...although that is an excellent idea...might be kind of depressing since I THINK I skate better than I actually do :roll: but I think I will try that as soon as I get bak onto the ice

CanAmSk8ter
05-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Having someone tape you is a great idea. Seeing yourself on video (especially the first time) can be slightly, um, horrifying. It definitely was for me. But it can be really helpful.

SynchroSk8r114
05-28-2007, 09:33 PM
...and work on building speed, & making each new step neat w/ a knee bend/feet together/push as you do it, rather than the lunge onto the new foot as you fall off balance! THEN, do it with your hands behind your back. Seriously. :twisted:

Definitely agree with this tip! Judges hate to see lunging with any move, but with the American, it's important not to wide-step. Doing the above should eliminate any possibility of wide-stepping...

And my partner had me do these three-turns with my hands behind my back. It helps to teach control by forcing you not to whip the turns. It's quite hard this way at first, but it gets easier with practice and when you go to the dance reguarly, it'll be a whole lot easier!