View Full Version : rinks in NJ

SpaMama
05-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey Gang, I have a friend moving to Short Hills NJ, and is looking for the closest rink to there for her daughter. I know you guys can help!

Thanks!

Spamama

xofivebyfive
05-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Closest would be South Mountain Arena in West Orange (http://www.essexskatingclub.org/arena/arena.html) which is about 10 minutes away(depending where exactly she's moving to in the town). I personally don't like the ice here, but it's a huge arena with 2 sheets of ice.

Mennen Arena in Morristown (http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/mennenmain.asp)(which happens to be my rink) is 15 minutes away from Short Hills. It's a nice little rink run by the Morris County Park Commission. Really warm, 3 ice surfaces, tons of FS time.. not too expensive.

Ice Vault in Wayne (http://www.icevault.com/indexb.php) is about 30 minutes away. This rink is really cold, but is a huge place and the ice there is really great.

Floyd Hall in Little Falls (www.floydhallarena.com) is about 35 minutes away.

Ice House in Hackensack (www.icehousenj.com/)is a nice rink, famous for producing great skaters like Sarah Hughes and such, but is about 40 minutes away.

all this according to mapquest.

das_mondlicht
05-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I lived in Short Hills for some years but I am moving to Seattle in a couple of weeks. There are some very nice rinks around within 15 to 30 minutes range. What xofivebyfive provided is pretty complete. Some details can be found from arena map (http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/NewJersey.htm)

Richard J. Codey Arena at South Mountain (West Orange, NJ)
Mennen Sports Arena (Morristown, NJ)
Union Sports Arena (Union, NJ)
Clary Anderson Arena (Montclair, NJ)
Floyd Hall Arena (Little Falls, NJ)
Ice House (Hackensack, NJ)

Many rinks in NYC also very nice! But it takes a bit of traveling.

Welcome to NJ!

xofivebyfive
05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
I lived in Short Hills for some years but I am moving to Seattle in a couple of weeks. There are some very nice rinks around within 15 to 30 minutes range. What xofivebyfive provided is pretty complete.

I haven't seen you in a while! Hi!!! :)

das_mondlicht
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen you in a while! Hi!!! :)

Hi!! I just got my house deal done and can rest a little bit. I hope to skate more to use up all my freestyle coupons at Mennen by mid June! Any interests?

In my list, I forgot Ice Vault Arena (Wayne, NJ) which is pretty neat as well. Also Bridgewater Sports & Ice Arena (Bridgewater, NJ) on route 22 West.

FallDownGoBoom
05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Is it my imagination, or did Bridgewater briefly have two ice rinks? They opened around the same time in the late 1980s/early 1990s?

das_mondlicht
05-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Is it my imagination, or did Bridgewater briefly have two ice rinks? They opened around the same time in the late 1980s/early 1990s?

You are right. Two are pretty close in Bridgewater, one on Rt22 E and one on Rt 22 W. The one on Route 22 E was closed few years ago.

SpaMama
05-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys!!!! You are great as usual!

Spamama

Isk8NYC
05-26-2007, 03:59 AM
You are right. Two are pretty close in Bridgewater, one on Rt22 E and one on Rt 22 W. The one on Route 22 E was closed few years ago.

I've only been to Bridgewater once or twice, and I never made it to Chimney Rock, but I remember the old directions to one of the rinks that reminded me of The Wizard of Oz: "Pay no attention to the rink across the highway!" LOL

Bridgewater Sports Arena's still open on 22W. That was the Chimney Rock rink that closed, right? I had thought they moved to Dunellen, NJ http://www.therockice.com/directions.htm Perhaps that's a new rink - I've never been able to get there.

Going back to Summit, NJ:

There is another small, indoor ice rink that's open year-round, but focuses on Hockey. I believe Jo Jo Starbuck teaches groups and privates there by appt. http://www.twinoaksicerink.com

In addition, there's a seasonal ice rink at the Beacon Hill Club, which is a private country club. http://www.beaconhillclub.org/ Several coaches I know refer skaters to "Joe D" in the pro shop at Beacon Hill for skates, adjustments, and sharpenings.

Figureskates
05-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Small world......

I grew up in Short Hills and skated at the South Mountain arena for many years...

2salch0w
05-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Chimney Rock moved from Rt 22 in Bridgewater to Dunellen (about 10 minutes away) in 2000 or 2001. It was shortly after I moved, and had I not, the rink would have been 1/2 block from my old house! Still, it was very very close. I learned to skate at Chimney Rock, then starting teaching there, then moved with them to Dunellen. The Rock Ice Pavillion is the new name in Dunellen and it changed owners about 1.5 years ago. Mostly hockey now - no freestyle at all and very few public sessions. Still some group classes, which I taught til recently. (moved again)

BSA has a lot of freestyle and is a nice rink. The only rink that hasn't been mentioned is Aspen Ice in Randolph, NJ. Never been there, but it isn't that far from Short Hills (off Rt. 10).

I'll also put in a plug for Mennen - nice facility, tons of freestyle, and best of all, WARM. Always. An easy drive from Short Hills on Rt 24.

Tim

Dollys
05-29-2007, 07:40 AM
thank you Lorri .
we are all set for skating in NJ.
thanking every body for a prompt reply.
My daughter is 11 and she has been skating for the last 2 years. she has learning disabilities, and we are looking for an instructor who will be patient , understanding and firm. if anybody has an instructor with these qualities please give HIS/Her contact info to me. i greatly appreciate every bit of help i can get.
thanking you,
sumukha

das_mondlicht
05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Mennen might be a good fit at all aspects. I have met a couple of friends at Mennen and got to know their kids in a similar situation. I will PM you the instructors.

xofivebyfive
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
My coach seems like she would be well suited for your daughter. She is very patient, and understanding. Very nice, never yells.. she tries to say something positive about everything you do, even if it sucked. I'll PM you.

newskaker5
05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I have an NJ coach who works with Special Olympians- and he's a greatcoach all around - I'll PM with the info too :)

WannabeS8r
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Ice House in Hackensack (www.icehousenj.com/)is a nice rink, famous for producing great skaters like Sarah Hughes and such, but is about 40 minutes away.

Oooh, I am biased against Ice House. It's so dirty inside! I hate, hate, hate it! The way the rink is positioned there inside that building makes me feel claustrophobic. :cry:

I recommend Ice Vault (Wayne)! I know a few really good coaches (both local and international, that have coached champions) and the building and facilities are very sophisticated (compared to Ice House, at least).

By the way, the rink is not THAT cold, Laura. :-P

xofivebyfive
05-29-2007, 08:32 PM
By the way, the rink is not THAT cold, Laura. :-P
If you've ever been to my rink, it is.

Dollys
06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
hey guys,
i got some good info from all of you, thank you.
we are visiting both south mountain, and Mennen tomorrow(monday). after reading all the info, i am more inclined towords Mennen. will try to talk to Jackie, and try fining a good instructor. if any one of you has any perticular instructors name, i would really appreciate it.

thanking you all again,

Dolly's MOM.

Careygram
06-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Having been to most of them (haven't been to Mennen or Floyd Hall), I would have to say Wayne would be a good rink though the sessions get VERY crowded. I was just in Hackensack this weekend for some "unspecified" sessions and though not horribly crowded, there were skaters of every level and they had beginner group classes as well. I was doing singles and pairs and it was difficult to get anything in. Have you considered the Palisades Center Mall? Their rink is nice and the sessions I've skated on weren't bad at all. And if you like to shop, aside from the Short Hills Mall, there are outlets in Secaucus near the Ice House (just shopped there on Saturday....) and the palisades rink is right in the mall.....how convenient.
Hope that helps! Have safe travels:P

NoVa Sk8r
06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
I was just in Hackensack this weekend for some "unspecified" sessions and though not horribly crowded, there were skaters of every level and they had beginner group classes as well. I was doing singles and pairs and it was difficult to get anything in.Partly because of that coach who was STANDING on the ice (sans skates). :evil:

And if you like to shop, aside from the Short Hills Mall, there are outlets in Secaucus near the Ice House (just shopped there on Saturday....)Yes, your new coat looks FANCY! 8-)

Careygram
06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Well thanks for the compliment on my new coat. You looked quite handsome if I do say so myself. You can never have enough coats, right? ;)

Yes, the skateless coach strikes again. I have yet to see one fall though....

lovepairs
06-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey Girly,

This rink in the Mall--is it open for the shoppers to see people skate, or is it off to the side, and a seperate building, or entrance?

Kisses,
Lovepairs

newskaker5
06-27-2007, 08:44 AM
It is seperate - you have to enter through the mall, but it is up on I think the 4th floor and a completely seperate section. You can go in and just watch, but it isn't really near any shoppers

NoVa Sk8r
06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
And the weekend freestyle begins before the stores open. So when you arrive at the mall, it is a ghost town.

Isk8NYC
06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
This rink in the Mall--is it open for the shoppers to see people skate, or is it off to the side, and a seperate building, or entrance?
The Palisades Mall rink is on the top floor at the very end of the sprawling mall building, but there are almost no stores open in that section. It's a depressing-looking entrance from within the mall, you almost have to know where you're going to find the rink. (Bonus: the ladies' rooms have jet-engine hand dryers that actually make your skin move like you're on a roller coaster. Kept the kids entertained for quite some time. LOL)

I've skated there with my goddaughter a few times and there are really no spectators, except for a few curious people who watch for a few minutes then go back to the mall. Plus, parents watching their kids. The ice wasn't great when I was there and the elderly skate guard kept interrupting us to correct my teaching. :roll: He was just lonely and looking for attention.

When you leave at night, it's really creepy because the parking lot is empty and there are no security guards in site. (Maybe they have cameras?)

lovepairs
06-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Not to hyjack this thread, but does anyone know of a Mall rink somewhere on the East Coast where the shoppers are right there and can watch?

RoaringSkates
06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
There are security cameras in the Palisades Center mall, and in the parking lots. Security both watches and tapes. Unfortunately, that didn't keep all the trim from being stolen off my Honda Civic! But I was parked in the satellite parking lot at the time. I prefer to park in the lot between Filenes and Lord & Taylor to reach the skating rink.

It's nice ice, but that area of the mall feels a bit neglected.

The rink in Wayne, NJ is the newest in the region, and it shows. The snack bar there actually has pretty good food, too - not just junk, but also meals that aren't bad for a snack bar.

Also in this area of NJ is the Fritz Dietl rink, which is somewhere in Bergen County - I forget where. It's a strange little rink. It's SQUARE, and it goes right up to the building exterior walls, so in the tiny window, as you skate, you can see trucks rushing immediately outside the building. It doesn't have a website, but is listed in the yellow pages.

lovepairs
06-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Fritz Dietl's rink is in Westwood, NJ. That's where I learned to skate as a kid. When I was a kid, I thought the rink was huge. I went back to visit as an adult and was so blown away by how tiny it was!