View Full Version : I'm missing the only page of the rulebook that I need!!

Jeanmarie
05-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Of course I lost the page I badly need.
Could someone please post the order in which I need to skate the elements for the Pre-Bronze MIF + FS tests. I think I have it figured out, but want to double check. I test tomorrow, and all I know is that I have to show up at 6:30pm with snacks for the judges. Any and all advice regarding testing would be appreciated ... even if it's just what judges like to munch on. These are my first tests, and I'm coachless, and not my rink = clueless as to what will happen tomorrow. :)

dbny
05-24-2007, 12:31 AM
I'll leave the skating order to someone else, but can tell you how things work at test sessions. First, you should be told at what time your test group is scheduled for. You and the others in your group will be given a brief warm up, and then called to skate the test one or two (rarely, three) at a time starting at different parts of the rink. Take the ice, skate over to the judge and introduce yourself to be sure there are no mix-ups. Then skate to your appointed place and watch the judge(s) to see when you should begin skating. After each move (or element on the FS), wait, watching the judge(s) to see when you can start again. You don't want to start skating if your judge is still writing. When you have finished, wait for the judge to nod that you are done and no reskates are requested. Leave the ice. After the judges hand in their papers to the test chair, you should be notified if you passed or have to retry, and later given a copy of your test results. Usually, the test results are given to the coach, who gives it to the tester, so be sure the test chair knows you are there without a coach.

Good luck tomorrow!

jazzpants
05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Here's the test form for Pre-Bronze Moves.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/JP_MF-Adult%20Pre%20Bronze.pdf

And for Pre-Bronze FS:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/JP_FS-Adult%20Pre%20Bronze%20Free.pdf

Thin-Ice
05-24-2007, 02:49 AM
As for what the judges like to eat.. make it finger food, something they can eat in one hand while holding warm coffee in the other. :lol: Leave the salads, casseroles, soup, etc. for someone else to bring. You need to focus on what you have to do.

Have you ever attended a test session at this rink where you're testing? I hope so. Make sure you check in with the test chair when you arrive and mention you are there on your own (i.e. coach-less).

Also when you take the ice and introduce yourself to the judge(s), smile. It will make it seem like you're more confident and give you one more chance to breath. Skate to your starting position, make eye contact and then do your first element. As the test goes on, don't worry if you forget what comes next. You can certainly skate over to the panel and say "I'm really nervous and I seem to have forgotten what the next element is." They will tell you and then you can go ahead and do whatever is next.
Most judges will just smile or laugh or nod in recognition of that feeling. When I took my PB moves test, I did forget the order. The embarassing part was I had been trial-judging with all the people on that panel.. and had just seen a bunch of these tests two days before! But that part of my memory just faded out... so I had to ask what was next on two separate elements. The judges found it amusing.. I was completely embarassed, but I passed... so that was the important part.

Best wishes and let us know how you do! Oh and remember to BREATH throughout the test!!! (I always seem to try to hold my breath for the entire test duration... silly idea, but for some reason my brain thinks if I hold my breath I'll be steadier.. and of course, I'm not!)

vesperholly
05-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Yes, smile!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As a sometimes judge, I like to see people smiling. It adds so much to the presentation, even if it is a stupid idiot grin. Inject a little humor into the so-serious test atmosphere. The judges WANT you to enjoy yourself and skate well!

SynchroSk8r114
05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Good luck and yes, smile! I tested (and passed!) and while I was waiting to begin I was standing right in front of the judges. My coach was funny; she said, "Start from right in front of them and just stand there and smile." Smiling really helps relax you and puts you - and the judges - at ease. Think about it: if you look comfortable and confident in what you're doing (even if you don't necessarily feel that way), the judges will be more likely to feel the same way: that you are confident in your ability to pass the test. Hahaha, and the best part was one of the judges smiled back. That really made me know that they're not out to fail me - they want us to pass! You just gotta put on a bit of a show sometimes!

Good luck w/ your test! Sk8 gr8! :D

Thin-Ice
05-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Deleted for silly mistake!

Jeanmarie
05-25-2007, 01:59 AM
I Passed!!! (YAY!)

Isk8NYC
05-25-2007, 07:36 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

froggy
05-25-2007, 08:11 AM
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scarlett
05-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Congratulations!

dbny
05-25-2007, 09:55 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

jazzpants
05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

(More confetti!!!) :mrgreen:

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/k010.gif

Mrs Redboots
05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/prutherford/GREETINGS%20AND%20ICONS%20ETC/Congratulations.jpg

SynchroSk8r114
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now it's on to bigger (& harder) things.. but bask in the glory of your tests through the holiday weekend! Look out Bronze here comes SynchroSk8r114!

Haha, thanks but I acutally tested my one contingent Silver dance (American Waltz) and Pre-Gold dance (Killian). I'm now going to work on passing my Paso, Blues, and Starlight Waltz. But congrats to Jeanmarie!

doubletoe
05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
YAY!!
Now that wasn't so bad, was it? Hee hee. :lol:

Thin-Ice
05-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Haha, thanks but I acutally tested my one contingent Silver dance (American Waltz) and Pre-Gold dance (Killian). I'm now going to work on passing my Paso, Blues, and Starlight Waltz. But congrats to Jeanmarie!

Oops! Sorry... that's what I get for trying to read SF and work at the same time... I mess up on the IMPORTANT stuff. :lol:

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS again to you on your dance tests!