View Full Version : oopsie

Mel On Ice
05-22-2007, 11:03 PM
My club needed a warm body to compete the Canasta Tango at its competition next month. Thinking I had done it as part of a synchro program a few years ago (and having the ability as a "no test" to compete "up" a level) I cheerfully volunteered.

Except that the dance I learned was the Fiesta.

Comp's in a month, so I have a month to learn something and compete it. Again, I understand I'm a warm body with no chance of winning, but I know some of the judges that will be evaluating the dances, and worry about "offending" them by doing some half-arse tripping over toepick pattern.

I've watched a few people run through the dances (I'm competing Dutch Waltz too, against flying~camel) and think it won't be too hard to at least be competent.

Any tips?

jskater49
05-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Edges, edges edges.

j

Mrs Redboots
05-23-2007, 07:13 AM
kneebend, kneebend, kneebend.

Seriously, you need huge kneebend to get that end pattern anywhere near looking remotely respectable.

And as it's the hardest bit, everybody focusses on it, and forgets the side pattern, but you really need to work the side pattern, too. The two edges at the start are an opportunity for real extension, and a nice tangoish head movement. Remember to extend on the first edge of the run. The cross-in-front starts a new lobe, so you must really cross on to a RFO, and allow the lobe to come round. "If you can't put it back, don't take it out" was said by one coach about the next step, the cross-behind; it's fine to keep your feet close on the RFO X to make sure you get the LFI x-behind (and make sure it is an inside edge - you need to be continuing the lobe).

On the change of edge, make sure that your swings are staccato. Here, the timing is usually two full beats rear extension, two full beats forward extension and two full beats rear again, but someone did it differently at the Vana Tallinn trophy and wasn't penalised, as long as the edge takes the six full beats. But my coach likes to see the swings very staccato and really held at each end.

The inside edge of the RFO-I starts the lobe for the end pattern. Serious kneebend into the LFO, then you'll be fine for the Mohawk. Every step of the end pattern is two beats, except the Mohawk which is one beat each edge, two beats in total. You'll find it a lot easier to be on edges if you turn your upper body such that you are reaching back with your right arm and shoulder, and forward with the left. Look up the rink. If you feel secure enough, it looks good to drop your arms to your sides here, but only if - and make sure your shoulders are still pointed.

When you do the RBO, cross to LBI, it is very effective if you tuck your right foot in to the heel of your left foot, which means it is in the right place for the STF.

Which is evil, evil, evil! Remember you are stepping on to a RFI edge. Look where you are going - you can only do this if you look in the direction of travel. It is way easier without a partner pulling you off balance, of course. Your feet should be heel to heel, don't try to bring your R foot to the instep of your L foot, or you'll flat.

Hope this helps.

Sessy
05-23-2007, 07:40 AM
See if Hollywood is interested in making a film about this.

What? Dirty Dancing had a worse plot. :lol:

Clarice
05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Mrs. Redboots, you're talking about the Fiesta, right? I'm brand new to ice dance, and am testing my Dutch Waltz and Canasta in a couple of weeks, so I was interested in this thread - and then got confused for a minute when you mentioned Mohawks and back edges! I'll definitely refer back to your comments when I start the Fiesta, though!

Meanwhile, for Mel On Ice, if you can already do the Fiesta, the Canasta should be pretty easy. The hardest part for me is the end pattern, getting the swing roll to come around to start the repeat. You can begin it with a cross stroke (though they're very specific that it can't be a cross step), and I'm going to pay particular attention to that today to see what works better for me - the cross stroke or just stepping onto the RFO edge. I like the extensions on the slide chasses, and do them kind of staccato by count like Mrs. Redboots was talking about - 2 counts back, 2 counts forward. My coach says that if you start each step going in the right direction, the pattern almost takes care of itself. So on the side patterns I really try to start the first swing roll facing the end of the rink, then the slide chasse facing the side, etc. Coach thinks this one is easier than the Dutch Waltz, so taught it to me first. Good luck!

dooobedooo
05-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Be confident, keep your head up, smile, present, and don't wave your arms around. Look like you are enjoying yourself and glad to be there. Do this from the moment you skate onto the ice until the moment you've left it. If you make a little mistake, just smile and keep going.

Pay your coach for a half-hour lesson, or ask a friend, to be there for you for the competition and put you on the ice. They'll help you with any little formalities.

flying~camel
05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
My club needed a warm body to compete the Canasta Tango at its competition next month.

Same comp, and I volunteered to be the not-so-warm body to fill up the Dutch Waltz & Cha Cha. I'd have volunteered for the Canasta, but I haven't done it in 10 years and don't remember the steps. Maybe if someone has a rulebook handy tonight, we can go over it together :)

phoenix
05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Dang, if I was coming over to your side of the Lake for Mem. Day weekend, I'd give you a lesson on it! :P I take it you don't have a coach to help you? Maybe find one for a lesson or 2 to get you up to speed.

This is not a hard dance, but you have to pay careful attention to staying on true (and correct) edges throughout. As someone else mentioned, a big key to that is making sure your toes are pointing in the correct direction every time you take a step.

And to work on getting the cross roll quick/deep enough, I have my students do it as an exercise: progressive, cross roll, progressive, cross roll---down the ice, with the music playing so you can get used to the timing.

Mel On Ice
05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Dang, if I was coming over to your side of the Lake for Mem. Day weekend, I'd give you a lesson on it! :P I take it you don't have a coach to help you? Maybe find one for a lesson or 2 to get you up to speed.

I don't think there's any ice to be found this weekend. Yes, I can ask my coach, but we are also in the throes of finishing my interp number for the comp I originally signed up for.

fc, I have the Canasta and DW xeroxed and ready for dissection!