View Full Version : Adult competitions...have to be 21 or older?

kittie067
01-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I am going to be 18 in April and am hoping to compete and skate as a young adult or adult skater. How do I do this?

Is there some sort of tests or something?

Thank you

~kittie

Joan
01-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I am going to be 18 in April and am hoping to compete and skate as a young adult or adult skater. How do I do this?

Is there some sort of tests or something?

Thank you

~kittie

When you are 21, you can compete as an adult. You do have to have passed some tests - if you already passed some tests in the standard track, you will have to cross over to the adult track according to your standard track level, or if you are novice or above, you will have to compete in "Masters" events. See this link for all the details:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/05Adults-ROA.pdf

sk8er1964
01-23-2006, 01:29 PM
When you are 21, you can compete as an adult. You do have to have passed some tests - if you already passed some tests in the standard track, you will have to cross over to the adult track according to your standard track level, or if you are novice or above, you will have to compete in "Masters" events. See this link for all the details:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/05Adults-ROA.pdf

Intermediate FS and above are Masters, not Novice and above. :)

kittie067
01-28-2006, 08:13 AM
thanx,
is there a young adult category then???

I thought I read that somewhere at a competition....

~kittie

sk8er1964
01-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Some adult competitions will have young adult events. It's not an official category at Adult Nationals and Sectionals, though.

techskater
01-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh, and some local comps allow 18+ to skate in the adult ranks as well

kittie067
01-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks!

~kittie

rlichtefeld
01-31-2006, 02:55 PM
kittie067,

We always have a Young Adult category at the Peach Classic:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic

We don't always have any entries, but if we get one entry we try our hardest to find a competitor for every event.

What level are you skating/competing?

Rob

kittie067
05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I know I've read somewhere that there are competitions for "young adult" skaters that are between the ages of 18 and 21. Does anyone know anything about this?

And if so, where are these competitions??

Thanx...
Kittie

P.S Sorry if I've asked this before. It's been awhile since I was around..:halo:

jazzpants
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I know I've read somewhere that there are competitions for "young adult" skaters that are between the ages of 18 and 21. Does anyone know anything about this?

And if so, where are these competitions??

Thanx...
Kittie

P.S Sorry if I've asked this before. It's been awhile since I was around..:halo:
Well, I know Skate SF has events for Young Adults! But that's in late October/early Nov.

TreSk8sAZ
05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
You really just have to look at competition apps as they come out, especially around your area. I think some of the all-adults have young adult as well, but it's a grossly underappreciated category (though usually based on the fact there are few entries in the competitions it does make it into).

kittie067
05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Thank you! Sorry I posted it twice...:halo:

flying~camel
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitation always offers Young Adult events. I did YA Bronze in 2004 back when the minimum adult was 25 and I was only 24.

It's held in Wyandotte, MI usually sometime between late January-mid February.

pennybeagle
05-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Of the local competitions I've been to, these have had young adult categories:

Peach Classic (Atlanta, GA)
Buckeye Adult Open (Cincinnati, OH)
Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitational (Wyandotte, MI)

Other competitions that might (but are not in my area, so I haven't checked the applications):
Halloween Classic (Aston, PA)
New Year's Invitational (Washington, DC)
Skate San Francisco? (SF, CA)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the last three!

Thin-Ice
05-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Most of the events in northern California offer Young Adult events. If there aren't enough, they'll either combine test levels (i.e. Bronze & Silver) or if that doesn't work, they'll ask the Adults (21+) if they would mind having the Young Adults skate in their group, since otherwise the YAs won't have an event. I've never heard of anyone saying "no... they have to have their own event"... but I've been told by one of our local referees, if that happened, they would probably just offer the YA skater the opportunity to skate an exhibition or possibly be critiqued by a judge after the performance.