View Full Version : Crabgrass or Daffodils (Practice 5/21 - 27, 2007)

Isk8NYC
05-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Crabgrass:
I thought we didn't have skating tonight, but we do - I have two students scheduled. I'm just worried that the third half-hour is going to be cancelled, so I can't book a third lesson.

Started working on off-ice jumps. I can't even do a full rev off ice anymore. LOL

Daffodils:
Did my off-ice exercises. Back's still tweaked, but it's not too bad. I love my new exercise equipment - a $4 mat and a $5 weight ball from "Five Below." (BTW, they have a lot of exercise things, name brand btw, for cheap!)

sk8pics
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Daffodils My surgeon released me today and said I can skate whenever I feel up to it.:) He also gave me one more month of PT, since while I have a good functional range of motion it's just not quite back to where it was. He agreed with me that it's much easier for the physical therapists to stretch my ankle than it is for me to do it, and said I should be pretty much back to normal in a couple of more months.

So, maybe the end of the summer I'll be able to skate again!8-)

Isk8NYC
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
CONGRATS!!!!
Did you want privacy or a SF Meetup to celebrate your return to ice?

LilJen
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Great news, sk8pics! (Remind me what your injury was? I have another 2.5 weeks before I can put weight on my broken left [and landing] ankle. Would be interested to hear about your PT.)

peanutskates
05-21-2007, 03:25 PM
daffodils
(I think) I landed a toeloop. Not sure if it was a toe-waltz, but it felt like a teoloop. Did something vaguely resembling a salchow! and also some waltz jumps which were OK-ish.
Forward spin coming along.

crabgrass
Forward spin travels around the world... my tracings are like __%()£(*£&(" instead of a nice ((())) (or you know what I mean...)
Backward spin is very cautious and not really a spin yet.
I started learning the loop, but keep trying to jump too early.

and the most annoying crabgrass of all is that my digital camera did not work at the rink. so no videos yet.

liz_on_ice
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
crabgrass: red-eye flights, jet lag, missing my kids

daffodils: visiting new rinks, feeling pretty good even after an all-night flight because skating just does that!

PS - did I see anyone here at Oakland 6:30 this morning?

Debbie S
05-21-2007, 04:06 PM
My surgeon released me today and said I can skate whenever I feel up to it.:) Woohoo! Congrats! I second Isk8NYC's suggestion of a Pond meetup - OK, maybe not the first day you come back...:halo:

Daffodils: Skated in my club's recital on Saturday. The good news is that I skated better than at the dress rehearsal. I actually did both spins correctly and did the forward scratch again in the finale (I don't know why, but that spin has been a disaster for me lately).

Crabgrass: Messed up both loops. Grrrr. Just further evidence that freestyle is not for me - lol. I still have the Chessie Open next month, but I think that will be my last comp for a while.

The show also included a judge's critique. 3 judges were invited, and the skaters were divided up between them - so they each had about 10 apiece. My judge was a nat'l level judge, who probably doesn't judge anything lower than Juv, so I'm sure seeing an Adult Bronze skater was quite a change for her - lol. She gave me some good feedback about my overall skating - she liked my spiral, said I covered the ice well and "listened to the music" - she says one thing she likes about watching adults skate vs kids is that adults listen to their music and relate to it. She said I had good flow and good transitions, but that I'm a bit scratchy (what else is new?) and should work on skating on my edges and getting more speed.

She also told me that, while she didn't count the overall revs in each spin, she didn't think I'd done enough for credit. I didn't argue, but I was pretty sure I'd gotten at least 3 on each foot in the combo spin and definitely more than 3 on the forward scratch. At the end of the critique (we each got 5 min), she handed me the paper she was using - the test chair had provided judges with each skater's level's WBP requirements - and after I left the room, I glanced at it and....it was totally wrong!!! I couldn't believe it - the WBP for Bronze were essentially the WBP for Masters - a max of 7 jumps, with an axel required (in Bronze...yeah, right! :roll: ), with doubles and triples permitted. And it said spins needed to be at least 5 revs total and 4 revs on each foot - no wonder she thought I hadn't done enough revs! Actually, I think I did get at least 5 on the forward scratch, but being a high-level judge, she probably didn't start counting until I crossed my leg over into spinning position - I know I didn't hold that for 5 revs, but hey, after the way things have been going with that spin lately, I was glad to be standing up.

The judge probably wondered what I was doing in Bronze, if I couldn't do a "required" axel or doubles or triples. :roll: Since she likely doesn't judge adult events very often, if ever, she probably didn't know what she was looking at was wrong. The other 2 judges there (1 in particular) do judge adult events, so they probably would have picked up on the error....but the issue is not the judge, it's the info she was given. Quite irritating.

The test chair apparently copied the WBP from the rulebook. Is the rulebook that messed up? I don't have this year's rulebook, just last year's, which has the correct WBP for Bronze last year.

I also noticed that the judge's notes seemed to be based on IJS. She had abbreviated each element and then wrote GOE numbers next to them (of course, the negative GOE's on my spins would probably be different if she knew that I did in fact achieve the required number of revs). She also wrote the PCS abbreviations with notes next to some of them - nothing next to CE or IN - perhaps that's an example of why Bronze, or any lower level program, should not be judged with IJS - there's just not that much to judge in each category - after all, how many transitions and choreo and interp can you really put into a 1:40 program that also has 4 jump elements, 2 or 3 spins, and a footwork/spiral sequence of some sort? Of course, if it had been a comp, she might have been easily able to fill in those 'boxes' and just left them blank b/c it was just a critique and she focused on the other areas, who knows.

sk8pics
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM
CONGRATS!!!!
Did you want privacy or a SF Meetup to celebrate your return to ice?

Hee, well, I don't know! My first time back skating will be with my rockstar8-) coach, so we'll see.

Liljen, I, too, broke my left ankle, and that's my landing leg. I, too, was not allowed to put weight on it for about 6 1/2 weeks. So, at about 5 1/2 weeks I ended up with a blood clot in each lung that had come from a blood clot in my leg. So, if you have any swelling or discomfort, run (okay, hop!) to your doctor! An ultrasound will pick up any clot in your leg and you can get it taken care of, instead of nearly dying as I did. (Not to be melodramatic...)

I have an appointment Thursday with the same physical therapist I started with, back in November. I'm expecting lots of funny remarks from him, and also that he will push me pretty hard. PT last time included lots of manipulation by the therapists, and it's really true that no pain, no gain saying. They also had me doing weight training, some cardio, and various balance exercises. It was excruciating to try to stand just on my injured leg, and even to balance for an instant was really difficult! By the end, I was balancing on 1 foot ona foam platform, walking a foam balance beam (on the floor, not elevated!), and standing with my feet on a slant board while I tossed a 7 lb ball at a trampoline backboard and caught it. I'm envisioning that he will put me on the trampoline thing for some balance exercises this time, but we'll see. Also by the end last time, they had to work really hard to stretch my ankle because it had loosened up so much. Hopefully it will only take a few sessions for it to loosen up to that point again, and then they can take it further now that they don't have to worry about screws breaking.:roll: And since it's all really well healed.

Liljen, feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the well-wishes!

cecealias
05-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Daffodils: Skating on miami beach and getting asked numerous times by kids if i was somebody famous er,..... like shizuka arakawa... hahaha...And, "Wow you spin really fast and jump really high."

Crabgrass: The tiniest *indoor* rink I have EVER seen. Having to cut down on every jump/spin entrance to accomodate the space available, plus the tots skating by. I think it was only 1/4 the size of my home rink, about 200ft long. And leg cramps?!? from I suppose dehydration or lack of postassium. That was a first, probably due to the weather. :giveup:

jazzpants
05-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Hee, well, I don't know! My first time back skating will be with my rockstar8-) coach, so we'll see.Pat, I'm so looking forward to hearing this news for a LOOOOONG time. It means that assuming everyone is still in NY come Christmas time when I'm visiting again that we'll have another New York Christmas skatingforums.com Meetup!!! (All you peeps out there that can drive in to Manhattan or Brooklyn for Christmas!!! Pencil me in for around Christmas!!! I'm coming back again!!!)

Daffodils: The back sit is definitely getting close... I hope it stays this time... I think I also got in some relatively decent tries at camels too!!! There's hope I can make my "almost camel" a "definite camel" yet! Can't wait to see if I can make it a camel-sit and put it in my program! :D

Crabgrass: All jumps... it was quite crowded and I could not get enough room to set up for a jump w/o ending up jumping on top of a kid....

Daffodils: That said, I did get in a few GOOD flips tonight. A bit shaky and scary on the landing but not bad.

And MORE daffodils: I have a skater that was a former "show skater" complementing me on my skating, though obviously coming from her I was a bit :oops: about it! (I guess she noticed me when I was doing my straightline footwork for my program, huh?)

Mrs Redboots
05-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Mountain Cup next year, Pat?

I am using a public terminal at the airport and it is hard to type!

Isk8NYC
05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Crabgrass:
I swear my right boot is a different size than my left. It could be my foot has grown smaller or it could be from leaving my skates in the car. I need a Klingbeil appt! LOL I have to keep retying that right skate multiple times.

My turns and edges seem off somehow. If you don't use 'em, you lose 'em, I guess.

Daffodils:
Did some really good upright and sit spins.
Jumps that I did, even combinations, were pretty easy and strong. Must have been high because the little kids applauded.
The skaters tried to talk me into trying a camel, but it was too crowded.
Ran through the Dance tests with one of my students; seems like it might be a good fit for her.

My little student NAILED her FO three-turns and the one-foot upright spin yesterday.
(This one is a cutie - whenever she has a crummy lesson, she comes back twice as strong for the next lesson.)
My tag-along student (whom I love having around) NAILED both the FO and FI threes.
(Kid's got talent and we get along really well. I'm not sure how to approach the parents about privates since they work for the rink.)
My bigger student JUMPED during her Waltz Jump yesterday. Plus, she picked MUSIC that she wants to skate to this year. She doesn't want to compete or do a show, just wants a routine. Okaaaay... :roll:
(I think she secretly wants to perform...)

jskater49
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Crabgrass

So Saturday my daughter and I are both going to a graduation open house and she talks me into walking "since it's only a block or so" or so maybe a half mile, which wouldn't be a problem except I wore new sandals and by the time I was at the party I not only had two blisters on each foot - they had broken and were bleeding already.

So I bandaged and stuffed cotten around them and got my feet into my boots today and while it hurt terribly to put on the skates and walk down the steps to the ice, once I started skating I didn't feel a thing.

Started out slow today, and my left power 3 turns, which I usually turn too late, I noticed today my turn was too late in the arch. O well, that could be a good thing, means I can hold it longer.

Daffodils

Mohawks are coming along. My two foot spin really is fast and keeps on going except in my fs program I put my arms over my head and that is slowing me down. My toe loops are ugly and cheated but I am JUMPING and jumping pretty high for me. That's progress and I'll take it.

j

sk8_4fun
05-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Crab grass Its half term hols here next week and my sessions are cancelled :cry:

Daffs Passed the Passport Silver and Gold in dance today so I'll be starting Level 1 dances and Level 1 field moves this week! 8O

Mrs Redboots
05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Daffs Passed the Passport Silver and Gold in dance today so I'll be starting Level 1 dances and Level 1 field moves this week! 8O

Wow, congratulations! Will you be competing at Bracknell, do you suppose? It might be worth discussing this with your coach - the information you need is all here (http://www.bracknell-ice-skating-club.co.uk/competitions/2007-06-bisc-adult-opens.htm), and it's always good to see new people trying out at competition. I think the lowest level dances are the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango this year, and if you can pass Gold passport, these will hold no terrors for you!
(http://www.bracknell-ice-skating-club.co.uk/competitions/2007-06-bisc-adult-opens.htm)

sk8_4fun
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Wow, congratulations! Will you be competing at Bracknell, do you suppose? It might be worth discussing this with your coach - the information you need is all here (http://www.bracknell-ice-skating-club.co.uk/competitions/2007-06-bisc-adult-opens.htm), and it's always good to see new people trying out at competition. I think the lowest level dances are the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango this year, and if you can pass Gold passport, these will hold no terrors for you!
(http://www.bracknell-ice-skating-club.co.uk/competitions/2007-06-bisc-adult-opens.htm)

Hi Mrs Redboots, How was Estonia? Thanks for the link. I am hoping to get down to Bracknell, but purely as a spectator this year. I hope to start competeing next year when I have a bit more polish!? I can't wait to come down and cheer you all on though, and also get an idea of what its all about. My coach is very enthusiastic about my 'ambition' to compete so hopefully I will be in a position to do so by next season. Thanks again.:D

Rusty Blades
05-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Crabgrass! I was awakened at 1 a.m. by the outbreak of hostilities for World War III 8O no, wait, it's just thunderstorms! Managed to catch an additional hour (I think) in the lazyboy before leaving for the rink at 5 a.m.

Daffodils: Despite being less than awake, I had a good skate this morning and a good workout (puff puff puff!). I was pushing for deeper backward edges (minor improvement), longer backward glides (getting better), more backward speed (coming nicely), and worked on my weakest turns (CCW).

Crabgrass: Just wasn't getting the spins pulled in today - just ended up being fancy turns - LOL!

Unknown sprout: I have come to the conclusion that I have just about reached the limits of my present physical abilities/condition. To continue to advance in figure skating (which I love now even more than I did as a teen) I need to make some MAJOR lifestyle changes 8O 8O 8O 1 - QUIT SMOKING! 2 - Loose 35 to 40 pounds, 3 - Build fast-response muscles and improve my overall conditioning, and 4 - Make off-ice training a priority in my life (rather than "fit it in" where I can). I am on the threshold of starting jumps and these four things are a serious impediment to my progress. They are things I should do anyway and for other reasons but this time they are in the way of something I am passionate about. Time to "put up or shut up"!

Isk8NYC
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
<snip>They are things I should do anyway and for other reasons but this time they are in the way of something I am passionate about. Time to "put up or shut up"!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Good for you - now do it!

Congrats sk8_4fun !

phoenix
05-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Second that--you'll feel much better & even live longer too!!

Daffodils: Woo hoo--I skated for 15 minutes yesterday, & it did not aggravate my pulled muscles! It was very slow & careful small movements, & no knee bend on the bad side (which definitely hurts it). And after 15 minutes of basically skating around like a person on a public session, I was really tired & sweaty! Yikes--looks like the strength/stamina is shot! But I was happy that it held up and will try another 15 minutes tomorrow.

doubletoe
05-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I need to make some MAJOR lifestyle changes 8O 8O 8O 1 - QUIT SMOKING! 2 - Loose 35 to 40 pounds, 3 - Build fast-response muscles and improve my overall conditioning, and 4 - Make off-ice training a priority in my life (rather than "fit it in" where I can). I am on the threshold of starting jumps and these four things are a serious impediment to my progress. They are things I should do anyway and for other reasons but this time they are in the way of something I am passionate about. Time to "put up or shut up"!

Yep, that's the best way to do it! When certain habits are incompatible with a lifestyle you are committed to, it makes it a lot easier to change those habits (especially if you come up with specific goals you want to achieve in your skating). Replacing cancer sticks with celery sticks sounds like a great idea! :P

jazzpants
05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
GO RUSTY BLADES!!! GO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I've been in your shoes where I was definitely around close to 30 lbs overweight. As soon as I get the weight off, I felt a LOT better about myself and I was more confident with myself in doing the physical things that I have to do (like skating and just plain going SHOPPING for clothes!!!)

Now if I could only convince my primary coach to give up the cancer sticks... :roll:

Rusty Blades
05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys!

I have exchanged a series of emails with my coach this morning and she said "My goal for summer is to start to push you out of your comfort zone.. I think you are capable of doing more than you think!" Oh oh!

Then she sent me a copy of the Yearly Planner she has prepared for me OMFG! I had BETTER make those changes or I wont survive the coming year - LOL! If I can do 80% of what she has planned, I will be THRILLED!

Rob Dean
05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Dianne,

I'll second what everyone else says about lifestyle changes. I was looking for one when I took up skating -- and my weight has been holding at 55 lbs less than it was when I started (just over three years ago now) for most of the past year. It's been easier to maintain the motivation with the skating as the goal.

My coach is probably going to have to work on my comfort zones this summer, too. I've been working intensively on the fiesta tango this month, and I've come to the conclusion that fear of going flying at the mohawk is the main reason progress has stalled. I may take a cue from the Fear of Falling thread and apply a medicinal dose of something before my next coaching session on Thursday. You can call that my crabgrass for the week...

Rob

BatikatII
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
daffs: landed loop and flip in practice, even landed a loop loop.
even managed the flip in programme. Did both loop and flip for the first time succesfully in programme last week.

crabgrass: looop was a bit iffy in programme

ended up with an extra dance lesson directly after my free lesson as dance coach is off for two weeks after I get back from my hols next week and there are competitions approaching.

daffs: free dance is now complete and I can just about remember it

crabgrass: dance lesson was on the public session following patch and the local 'youths on probation' group were back on the ice (they seem to have been missing for a few weeks ). They are fairly wild teens who skate with no regard for their own safety or anyone else's so trying to do my free dance was a little difficult.

Also had worn my skating dress today thinking I'd only be on patch so was a little self -concious but actually dont think anyone really took much notice and it did seem to make some of them more ready to get out of my way when I was skating to my music so perhaps it was a good thing. And one of the regular beginner chaps did compliment me on it:D :lol:

Mrs Redboots
05-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi Mrs Redboots, How was Estonia? Estonia was great - I reported on it elsewhere (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=322705&postcount=11).

I need to make some MAJOR lifestyle changes 8O 8O 8O 1 - QUIT SMOKING! 2 - Loose 35 to 40 pounds, 3 - Build fast-response muscles and improve my overall conditioningAs the others have said, you have a reason to do this, so it should happen. But please go slowly - I gave up smoking after losing 40 lbs or so some years ago now, and then didn't know who I was any more. That was before I started skating, and the weight went back on and brought its friends with it, although most of it's gone again now. Not all....

Now if I could only convince my primary coach to give up the cancer sticks... :roll:I don't think that's possible. I had a go at him two years ago.....

As for me:

Daffodils: Skated last night and again this morning, with 45 minutes' of lessons with our two coaches this morning. Consecutively, not concurrently (we can't afford them both at the same time!).

Crabgrass: Was very tired indeed last night and not really feeling like skating, so we just messed about and tried to choreograph our very silly routine for next month. Willow waltz not great.

Daffodils: Had fun with our free dance this morning, which is looking good.

Skittl1321
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Crabgrass Scratch spin stinks. My shoulders just won't lean the right way. Also- coach and I have a different view of what "point" and "flex" the foot means (I point downward, and flex upwards- which I guess is dance terms, but not skating terms?) so I had an incredibly confusing lesson where I WAS flexing and he kept yelling at me- turns out he flexes down and points up. I had never heard it that way.

Waltz 8 also stinks. I can't quite get that last glide to start again and have to put my foot down to get enough speed, but if I have enough speed, my edge is too deep and I end up in the wrong place.

Also, the pick up my foot back crossovers are horrible. If I have to do these on my test, I'm failing. I much prefered the kind where I left my foot on the ice. I've never seen the other kind except ISI- so I'm not sure why I'm doing them this way now, but oh well, trust the coach- right?

Daffodils PB 3 turn pattern is looking good!

I did like 4 revolutions of a backspin! (well of a crappy one, but the actual spinning was good) Once again, I have shoulder problems on this one, so I lifted my one hand above my head and put the other in front of me and was able to completely stay on my sweet spot. I was so excited! Now I need to work on leg position- right now I'm just doing "knee up" to prevent the flying behind me leg- I'll have to get to "foot crossed" soon.

Oh and my worst jump- loop- was sorta done about four times while I was doing backspins, because to keep from falling I was hopping. My coach pointed out that that's essentially a loop :)

Rusty Blades
05-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Daffy-dills: :P Continued improvement on the backwards - growing strength, speed, and comfort.

In lesson today we did a little with spins, a LOT with 3 Turns, and I was introduced to two-footed jumps and shown a toe-pick practice to get used to transferring to the pick for jumps.

Poison Ivy! Continued frustration on the 3-Turns! For whatever reason, I am just not keeping that free foot out of the way. Is having the free foot in a position to "catch me" my psychological "safety net"? Is it my closed hips? Whatever it is, I need to figure it out and FIX IT - this is getting old in a hurry - I have turned good 3-Turns before - it just isn't happening now - GRRRR!

Orchids: When the ice was nearly deserted, I went back to backward edges, pushing for more speed and power - it's coming back, little by little and it feels OH SO GOOD!

[Taking liberties with the headings 8-) ]

jskater49
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
All Crabgrass

I was tired and nauseous and skated about 20 minutes then told my daughter she should take my lesson and went upstairs and slept in the lobby.

One Daffodil I did one pattern of power 3s and every single one of them was spot on top of the arch.

j

doubletoe
05-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Crabgrass Scratch spin stinks. My shoulders just won't lean the right way. Also- coach and I have a different view of what "point" and "flex" the foot means (I point downward, and flex upwards- which I guess is dance terms, but not skating terms?) so I had an incredibly confusing lesson where I WAS flexing and he kept yelling at me- turns out he flexes down and points up. I had never heard it that way.

Also, the pick up my foot back crossovers are horrible. If I have to do these on my test, I'm failing. I much prefered the kind where I left my foot on the ice. I've never seen the other kind except ISI- so I'm not sure why I'm doing them this way now, but oh well, trust the coach- right?

Daffodils PB 3 turn pattern is looking good!

I did like 4 revolutions of a backspin!

Oh and my worst jump- loop- was sorta done about four times while I was doing backspins,)

Hey, great job on the backspin and loop! But just because your coach knows skating doesn't necessarily mean he knows English, LOL! I've always heard "point" used to refer to extending the toes down to continue the leg line and "flex" as lifting the front of the foot upward to create a 90 degree angle between the leg and foot. Since freestyle figure skating is based on ballet, I can't imagine why it would be different, KWIM? ;)

Sessy
05-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Definately feeling flowery here.

Bielman is coming along ni-i-icely!!! I've got my bad-side bielman on rollers about as high as my good-side bielman was 3 months ago. My good side bielman is only an inch away from being over my head now, I grab the holding arm's wrist with the free arm now.
And for the first time in months, this week I've felt like my anckle might actually heal sometime indeed.

jazzpants
05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Crabgrass:

Forward crossovers still needs work! Need more underpush and need more "progressive"-ness. :roll:
My flip and loop towards the end of the session. I was just plain tired and didn't have any more to give during the lesson. (I did a A LOT of jumping today!!!)
Toe loop is being de-"toe-waltzed" at the moment... :frus:Daffodils:

But for a while the toe loop was so frustrating and secondary coach looked so bored telling me the same thing that I did a nice clean flip just to see if secondary coach is paying attention. (Yup! She did and called me on it, saying that it was a very nice flip but I want a TOE LOOP!!! :twisted: :lol: )
Did some really nice loops today!!! Some of them were very effortless...
More Weeds:

... but got progressively worse as I got more and more tired. I just didn't want to jump after about the 4 attempt at the loop. :roll:
More Daffodills:

Waltz jump was crappy at the beginning but got much better towards the end. I got back my nice big effortless kick-thru... and when secondary coach asked me to do a salchow, the kick-thru carried over to that jump too!!! (She said the salchow improved from the last time she saw them... ummm... she only saw ONE salchow... and we didn't have much of a lesson on those. Oh, well! She claimed it was better than the last time I did salchows, so who am I to complain? ;) )

SynchroSk8r114
05-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Daffodils: Passed my American Waltz and Killian today. Thank God - I don't think I could take another pattern of the American! I was contingent for the Killian, and when I found out I was eligible to test it, I was enthralled. Enthralled and almost shocked. 8O I mean, I knew there was a good chance that I would pass the American meaning that I could take the Killian, but it still seemed unreal. I've only been working on the Killian for a few weeks! Oh well, if the judges thought it was strong enough to pass, I'm happy. And boy, did they think it was good - I passed by all 3 judges and one even gave me an 8.2 out of 8.0 (8.0 was passing average). So, yes...I'm quite proud and can now get back to seriously working on the Paso, learn the Blues, and the Starlight Waltz. On to Pre-Gold dances! :)

WannabeS8r
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Daffodils: Today was a really, really fine day! My jumps were all landed *effortlessly* and higher than usual; I even did a couple of flip-loop-loops with actual flow on the landing. Axel preparation improved a lot, and when I thought I was ready to try an axel, I've attempted it five times. Three of them totally off, and two rather close. I hope to get it soon (maybe land a good one by June-ish!)! Spins were great today, my backspin also improved by a lot. :bow:

Crabgrass: A girl from my school kept picking on me. haha!

By the way, for those of you who go on Sashafans, a full review of today is posted in the thread. ;)

jskater49
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Daffodils: Passed my American Waltz and Killian today. Thank God - I don't think I could take another pattern of the American!

Congratulations!:bow: :bow: My daughter hates the American - she's not really a waltz lover but that one makes her dizzy. It makes me dizzy to watch!

j

jazzpants
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Daffodils: Passed my American Waltz and Killian today.Congrats to you SynchroSk8r114!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: Paso Doble? I swear I'm hearing the music in my head already. LOL!!! (There was this one year where we had not one but TWO skaters taking Pre-Gold Dances and learning the Paso Doble at the same time! And of course, since it's a fast dance, I have to always keep an eye on where the dancer is when she's doing the Paso Doble... so I don't get RUN OVER!!! :P :lol: The piece was also played a lot too during my FS session, so the piece is now STUCK in my head! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:

SynchroSk8r114
05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Congratulations!:bow: :bow: My daughter hates the American - she's not really a waltz lover but that one makes her dizzy. It makes me dizzy to watch!

j

It's a dreaded dance (a fast waltz?) I totally feel for her - I'm no great waltzer either. I'm much more a foxtrot girl.

SynchroSk8r114
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Congrats to you SynchroSk8r114!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: Paso Doble? I swear I'm hearing the music in my head already. LOL!!! (There was this one year where we had not one but TWO skaters taking Pre-Gold Dances and learning the Paso Doble at the same time! And of course, since it's a fast dance, I have to always keep an eye on where the dancer is when she's doing the Paso Doble... so I don't get RUN OVER!!! :P :lol: The piece was also played a lot too during my FS session, so the piece is now STUCK in my head! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:

That's how the Killian's music was for me! My mom kept referring to it as "circus music." :lol:

phoenix
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Congratulations!! Killian has been the bane of my existance for longer than I care to think about....hopefully will test it (for the second time) in July or so...once I'm back on the ice full time. I can't wait for Paso & Starlight! Killian is just not my dance. :bow: :bow:

SynchroSk8r114
05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Congratulations!! Killian has been the bane of my existance for longer than I care to think about....hopefully will test it (for the second time) in July or so...once I'm back on the ice full time. I can't wait for Paso & Starlight! Killian is just not my dance. :bow: :bow:

I know what you mean. Judges think it is so easy because the steps are relatively simple, but with the speed and the quickness of edges, it makes it pretty darn difficult, especially those outside edges - yikes! :twisted:

phoenix
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I know what you mean. Judges think it is so easy because the steps are relatively simple, but with the speed and the quickness of edges, it makes it pretty darn difficult, especially those outside edges - yikes! :twisted:

Yep, that's what got me on the first test try. Now I try to take the first LO edge past 'center', if you know what I mean, but I can't do that up to speed yet.

Scarlett
05-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Synchroskater...Congratulations!

Daffodils: I have been really working on spins as late. Scratch spin is definitely improved. Camel and sit are improved but still unrecognizable.

Crabgrass: Toe loop is still very much a toe-waltz. I didn't feel like jumping today and stopped after two toeloop attempts.
I was looking at my blades today and not only is there no rocker left but I have no sharpening surface left. Looks like it is time for new blades which I am thoroughly not pleased about.

tidesong
05-23-2007, 09:19 PM
daffodils:
hit my 5 axels and 5 double salchows despite missing ballet due to tummy ache and tuesday's practise coz the rink closed early. The landings are slowly getting to be a better quality, definetly less ubrupt than last week.

worked on change edge sit spins, understanding more about them now!

Had one landed suspect for double toe loop, and alot of good rotated but fall attempts...

Rotated double loop (and fell) during lesson

I sort of almost succesfully attempted an ina bauer with the weight on the leading leg!!! I've never been able to get that weight off the free leg (meaning i've always been doing inside edge ones and they always go out of control too ....) but it seemed to work ... have to try that again

crabgrass:
I really really really want to land that double toe alot more than I'm doing :(

dbny
05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Daffodils: Passed my American Waltz and Killian today. .........
So, yes...I'm quite proud and can now get back to seriously working on the Paso, learn the Blues, and the Starlight Waltz. On to Pre-Gold dances! :)

Congratulations! This has me puzzled. Back when I was a roller dancer, the Killian was a higher level dance than the Paso, and the Blues was lower. I guess it's possible that it makes sense given the different skates and surfaces.

Daffodils:
I spent about 10 minutes in front of a full length mirror on Mon night just doing RFO and LFO threes in my shoes, and it seems to be paying off on ice. Still not properly checked, but closer than ever. All of a sudden, I've got the RBI Choctaw in the L side of Prelim power threes! I could hear my coach's voice saying "hold it, wait for it", and this time, I was able to. It actually seemed effortless.

Crabgrass:
Spins were off, and I think I'm giving up on the backspin until I get my new boots and blades, since the spin spot on the R blade has been shaved just a bit. I wanted to skate for myself this morning, but woke up with a very painful R hip and decided to rest instead. I can't even take ibuprofen now, so I have to make do with a long hot shower and rest. I'm skating tomorrow morning, and will have to try to take it easy with the R hip. B power pulls really do it in, as do CW B XO's.

Daisies (because they're fun):
I was chatting with some of the teens on the freestyle following the groups I teach, and one was saying that she spins and jumps the wrong way, since it is CW and she is a righty. I told her it's not wrong and that I know others who also do not follow the rule. Then I told the girls that I have my beginners face the wall and turn to me on command. The way they turn is usually the right way for them to spin and jump. I got "that's smart!" and "you're smart" from them, whereupon I had to confess that a friend told me about the trick: thank you very much, Isk8NYC!

jazzpants
05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I wanted to skate for myself this morning, but woke up with a very painful R hip and decided to rest instead. I can't even take ibuprofen now, so I have to make do with a long hot shower and rest. I'm skating tomorrow morning, and will have to try to take it easy with the R hip. B power pulls really do it in, as do CW B XO's.Three words: Epsom Salt Baths!!! But the rest is definitely better...

Daisies (because they're fun):
I was chatting with some of the teens on the freestyle following the groups I teach, and one was saying that she spins and jumps the wrong way, since it is CW and she is a righty. I told her it's not wrong and that I know others who also do not follow the rule.Like ME!!! :mrgreen:

Well, my skating coaches both follow other rules (like which eye is more dominant and when I do a BO edge, which side is stronger.) Both still think I should have skated CCW!!! Even my previous secondary coach, Mistress Coach, thought that I should have skated CCW and have often threatened to make me do my jumps and spins CCW unless I do what she tells me in my direction! :twisted: :roll: :lol:

Rusty Blades
05-24-2007, 04:13 AM
... my skating coaches both follow other rules ...

My coach simply had me do spins and jump entrances both ways and asked me which feels better (CW), said CW looked stronger so for now it's CW. No "rules" at all.

jskater49
05-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Congratulations[/B Then I told the girls that I have my beginners face the wall and turn to me on command. The way they turn is usually the right way for them to spin and jump. I got "that's smart!" and "you're smart" from them, whereupon I had to confess that a friend told me about the trick: thank you very much, [B]Isk8NYC!

Wouldn't work for me. I turn clockwise better - 3 turns and mohawks and pivots - but I spin and jump counterclockwise. Totally confused my coach when she realized it wasn't my foot that I favored when it came to 3 turns and mohawks but direction - then she was sure I should be spinning that way until I showed her how well I can spin cc. Shrug.

j

Scarlett
05-24-2007, 06:33 AM
I also struggled with the CW/CCW thing. When I first started (actually I posed the question to this board), I was really having problems deciding. I am right footed on some elements when skating but my turns are so much stronger clockwise. I am a lefty though.

Sessy
05-24-2007, 06:59 AM
I discovered by chance I don't have a direction of preference. It's completely random, that is, if it takes strength to do I'll rather do it on my right leg, if it takes precision I'll rather do it on my left leg. But I can just turn things around in my head easily and do them right straight away even though I didn't do them in the cw direction before. Just takes a second for me to focus on doing things in the other direction. I can do most my jumps cw too, except not very clean because I don't practice them a lot. It's easyer to practice ccw because on public skating sessions and in group lessons everybody's skating ccw, save 1 or 2 girls.
But then I was going to school already (so like, 6 or 7) when I figured out the difference between left or right. Everybody would say to use the hand which you wanted to grab a spoon or pencil with, but with me it was just completely random which hand I'd use. LOL.
I think I have a *slight* preference for ccw, but only slight.

Skittl1321
05-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Daisies[/B] (because they're fun):
I was chatting with some of the teens on the freestyle following the groups I teach, and one was saying that she spins and jumps the wrong way, since it is CW and she is a righty. I told her it's not wrong and that I know others who also do not follow the rule. Then I told the girls that I have my beginners face the wall and turn to me on command. The way they turn is usually the right way for them to spin and jump. I got "that's smart!" and "you're smart" from them, whereupon I had to confess that a friend told me about the trick: thank you very much, Isk8NYC!

I'm a CW righty too! The only place it's caused a problem is my loop because my left leg is not my stronger leg- so taking off and landing on it is really hard. I've done a CCW loop before, but haven't tried the other jumps that way- because I'm happy going CW, since I just cannot spin CCW without feeling ill.

Our test was "swing a baseball bat" (but that put me the other way), hit a tennis racket (uh- I always favored my backhand swing), and of course turn around at the wall "hey Jessi"- I went CW there.

SynchroSk8r114
05-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Congratulations! This has me puzzled. Back when I was a roller dancer, the Killian was a higher level dance than the Paso, and the Blues was lower. I guess it's possible that it makes sense given the different skates and surfaces.

The American Waltz is a silver dance. I was contingent with this dance to test my Killian.

The Killian, Blues, Paso, and Starlight are all Pre-Golds. You can test whichever of these you want to first - there's no rule that states you have to pass them in any order, so long as you pass the levels listed below in the following orders. So you can't test any Pre-Golds until you've passed all your Silvers...

With ice dance, the levels go:
Prelimiary
Pre-Bronze
Bronze
Pre-Silver
Silver
Pre-Gold
Gold
International

Rusty Blades
05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Daffodils: Ok, I LIKE skating three days in a row - more productive - so next week I'll try 4 :)

Finally starting to get a handle on those @$#% 3-Turns and figure out what I am doing wrong - need lots of practice to clean them up but I think there's is finally hope.

In lesson, we (of course) spent a WHOLE LOT of time on @$#% 3-Turns, then BO edges, then played with spins again. We talked about direction and I said either is fine, so we played with a CW spin exiting directly into a CCW spin - that's fun - have to find out if it's "legal" and if it's worth points ;)

Crabby-Grass: Spring skating ends June 14, summer skating starts July 3 - coach has ordered me off the ice for two weeks!!! The nerve! She said it's non-negotiable, that I need a break. :cry: Maybe, but she doesn't have to live with me when I start climbing the walls!

flo
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Congrats Synchro!!!

Crabgrass: knees still sore after falling last Sunday.

Weeding: decided not to do the national showcase event. It's $120, 8O and adults go into the "Junior" parade of champions for what I believe are final rounds.

Daffodils: Talked over events with my coach and we're planning on the Peach and Halloween classic. I don't think I've had a program ready so early in the season (I needed it to be ready for a show), or not in quite a while! I'm skating to "Bring him home" it's one of those where I heard the music and knew it was the next program.

Mrs Redboots
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Daffodils: Passed my American Waltz and Killian today. Oh my word, that is so not easy!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/davidpaulsmom/icons/congratulations.gif

The Blues is one of those dances that is easy to do badly - but if you can do the Kilian choctaw, the Blues choctaw will hold no terrors for you. Here, I think it is on a lower level than either the Paso Doble or the Kilian; probably around level 7 with the American. A lot higher than I aspire to, anyway. I can stumble and kick my way through a Blues, but it's sure not pretty!

kateskate
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh my word, that is so not easy!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/davidpaulsmom/icons/congratulations.gif

The Blues is one of those dances that is easy to do badly - but if you can do the Kilian choctaw, the Blues choctaw will hold no terrors for you. Here, I think it is on a lower level than either the Paso Doble or the Kilian; probably around level 7 with the American. A lot higher than I aspire to, anyway. I can stumble and kick my way through a Blues, but it's sure not pretty!

Blues is level 8A here with the rocker foxtrot

American waltz is level 7 here with the 22 step

And interestingly the kilian is level 9A with starlight

icedancer2
05-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, if you put the dances in order of easy-ness, I would put the Blues first, then the Paso/Starlight sort of the same, with the Killian being the most deceptively difficult dance.

I would put the Blues in the same category as a Rocker, but that's just me I guess...

At this point I'm lucky to do any of them!! (although I went to my first social dance session since the foot fracture last weekend and intend to go again this weeknd.

looplover
05-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Daffodils: Finally made it to early a.m. freestyle at new rink (getting up at 5 is an achievement for me...) ... nice people, good ice...looks like great coaches - did a good loop, got low on the sit spin (but am still having trouble with it)

Crabgrass: Good coaches at new rink but I heard everyone is booked up and I may not be able to get a coach at the rink most convenient to work and home...which will seriously impact my skating in a crabgrass way :cry:

Two footed the flip.

No centering on scratch.

Definitely more crabgrass than daffodils today...NEED COACH DESPERATELY, GRR

xofivebyfive
05-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Daffodils: I like public sessions more than freestyle sessions. I don't know why. I had a freaking amazing spin day. With my scratch spin I was able to hold my leg out longer in the beginning like someone suggested to me a while ago and I was so centered that it was scary. And really fast. So cool.

I did a few good sit-change-sit s and was in the back sit position with my leg out for a good 5 or 6 revs before I got up. That was a really good feeling. Managed a few flying camels and I got 3 revs on the back after the jump which is the most I've ever done, so I feel accomplished. I've never seen myself do jumps other than a salchow before, so I had my mom tape a bunch of things, and my flip is a LOT better than I thought it looked like. And no wrap! YAY. (can't say the same for my loop, unfortunately)

And I did a tonnn of laybacks and I was so surprised at what they looked like when I watched them back. Leg position, good. Leaning back-ness... good. dizziness, none. really centered and it felt really powerful.

Ooh here's a video of my spins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWAoVH0i_gk

Crabgrass: For some reason my waltz jump sucks. I don't know why! It should be the simplest of the things that I'm doing.. Strange. Lutz has left me, and the toeloop is still really akward.

Morgail
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Daffodils: I like public sessions more than freestyle sessions. I don't know why.

I'm with you on that. I think it's because I (usually) have more space to practice on publics than on FS sessions. And I'm not getting in the way of anyone doing double combos or their programs or anything8O Plus, my pathetic camel actually looks good at a public session:lol:

Daffodils: Flip was on tonight, which was nice b/c I'd been having problems with it lately. I just have to remember to check before I pick. Actually, all my jumps were good tonight. I'm trying to get a sal out of a mohawk instead of a mohawk-3 turn, and it's getting better (although still puny). Sit-change-sit was also good. I did two that actually included a couple rotations on the back sit. And, LBO 3 turns are consistent now!

Crabgrass: I ignored the lutz tonight, so I can't say anything bad about it;) Back power pulls and back cross rolls still need some more work, but they weren't really bad tonight. I had a good skating day:)

jazzpants
05-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Daffodils: Flip was on tonight, which was nice b/c I'd been having problems with it lately. I just have to remember to check before I pick. Actually, all my jumps were good tonight.OH!!! So THAT'S where all my jumps were today!!! Would you be kind enough to return it back to me in time for my lesson on Wednesday again, please??? :P

Crabgrass: Pretty much all my jumps went kaputs!!! Or at least primary coach was not pleased about it. I must have left it at my lesson yesterday morning. :roll: We also couldn't do our program today b/c there were a slew of little pre-school and kindergardeners on the ice and well, can't run the kids over now, can't I? :twisted: Primary attempted to change my footwork slightly so my bunny hop is a falling leap!!! That attempt got scrapped REAL FAST... b/c I can't even DO a falling leap from the footwork that he had in mind! :frus:

Daffoidils: I'm making progress on the camel!!! In fact, the last camel that I did in front of primary coach was probably the best one I did. It's ALMOST "in position" and I had at least 4 revs on that one! I guess it must have been good, b/c I sure got the attention of a couple of skaters. (Must have been coach's raving! :P ) Back sit is starting to get lower but it's still a LOST cause b/c I can get onto a BO edge and STAY on it!!! :frus:

Mrs Redboots
05-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Crabgrass: Our last skate before we leave for France, and we couldn't get the music at all! Barely tried any of the compulsories, except the Willow, which is still our weakest dance.

In our free dance, we still had opposite feet on the cross-rolls! Sigh....

Daffodils: The ice was lovely, and the rest of the free dance was great. I hope we get a chance to run through it during the camp, though.

Scarlett
05-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Had lesson with interim coach:

Daffodils: Bronze moves are making progress. My strongest move is actually the 5 step mohawk sequence. What are the odds on that?
Scratch spins are definitely much stronger. I think primary coach will be impressed when he returns.
Managed to land a waltz-loop though it wasn't pretty.

Crabgrass: That darn sit-spin :twisted:

And as a random aside:
For those who have multiple coaches, how does it work? My primary coach is leaving in a couple of months. I get along great with interim coach but in a strange twist of fate, I am moving about 10 minutes away from the rink where the primary coach teaches at which will put me an hour away from the interim coach :roll: I was considering keeping interim coach and starting with a coach that my primary has recommended who teaches at the closer rink. Any thoughts?

jskater49
05-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Crabgrass Coach was very chatty today, plus the rink was not opened until 10 minutes before my skate time (remember we skate at 5 am) and then of course I had to go to the bathroom, and of course I was wearing a dress with a t shirt over it...so we did not accomplish much in lesson today.

Daffodils Power 3s was all we worked on -- I'm getting them all on top of the circle! But I'm not finishing my crossovers back to the axis so they tend to move closer and closer to the boards. And I'm doing the 3 turns well enough that we worked on the intro and end pattern steps. Today I actually did my "bad" side better than my "good" side. This often happens because I concentrate more on my bad side.

Also found out both my freestyle and dd's competition events are on Sunday. SUnday's are usually all basic skills so I don't plan on Sunday...fortunately I have a few Sundays still to take off this year but I was scrambling to find a supply preacher. Also I've practiced my freestyle to music, about twice and the competition is in little more than a week....

j

Isk8NYC
05-25-2007, 08:27 AM
My primary coach is leaving in a couple of months. I get along great with interim coach but in a strange twist of fate, I am moving about 10 minutes away from the rink where the primary coach teaches at which will put me an hour away from the interim coach :roll: I was considering keeping interim coach and starting with a coach that my primary has recommended who teaches at the closer rink. Any thoughts?Well, first check out the new rink - you may not like it very much. Then, ask the interim coach if s/he teaches at that rink. Last year, I taught at three rinks. One of them was quite a distance away, so several students were shocked to find that I was on staff there. You can also consider some trial lessons with the recommended coach - you may find that his/her style isn't right for you.

Then, you can make an educated decision.

looplover - If my house were sold, I'd be there in NC to coach you, but alas, I'm still in NYC.

Crabgrass:
My jumps were awful yesterday - I almost blew a few simple things.
Didn't have enough time to really practice any spins.

Daffodils:
MITF were strong and good. Even did most of the threes-on-the-line pattern without touching down. It's usually the LFO3 that I touch down on now - must be my free hip.

Scarlett
05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will try to arrange a trial lesson in the coming months..the big issue is that the primary coach is moving across country so I have to find someone new. I am really lucky in that my area has quite a few ice rinks. It's just a matter of finding someone close to me in a rink with a good atmosphere who can tolerate my sardonic wit. It seems like the best choice would be to have two coaches. The interim coach is great but can't demonstrate a lot of the elements and I'm such a visual learner. I was just wondering how it works with those with multiple coaches.

Thin-Ice
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I have two coaches one at each rink where I skate (yes, they know about each other!)

I've been with my primary coach for 15 years, she's very show-y, a wonderful choreographer and understands my moods and various body parts that sometimes don't cooperate (I have a problem with the ankle of my landing leg... and there are days that jumps are JUST not going to happen). She doesn't really stay up-to-date on everything going on in USFS, but she figures I will.. and I do. She can explain things several ways in case I don't understand what she's talking about the first five times. But she teaches at a rink that is two hours away from my house, and I see her twice a week. She's also been a wonderful friend through some really rough patches in life and I think I've returned the favor for her.

I started working 2-1/2 years ago with another coach at a rink "just" 45 minutes away from home. She is more "professional" as in less friendly. I know a little bit about her personal life, but we don't talk about it much. She knows she's my secondary coach and we work primarily on technical things... especially moves or individual elements. If there's a question about how something should go, she usually says "Go with the way that works for you and run this idea past your other coach, and let her decide". I did have her choreograph one program... and it wasn't something that worked for either of us, although I like the elements she put into the program, it didn't feel like "me", where my other coach has known me so long, she doesn't even have to think about what's "me" and what's not.

When I wanted more lesson time, I told my primary coach I was going to ask the woman who is now my secondary coach if she would work with me on moves. Then I approached the secondary coach and said I was staying with my primary coach, but felt I needed someone with a more technical background to help me with some elements, and asked if she was available and interested. My coaches don't see each other often, and I'd be surprised if they ever called each other. But they do occassionally see each other at test sessions or competitions.

I have actually considered working with a third coach... because my secondary coach is considering a schedule change that doesn't work with my schedule. That coach, "the third coach", would talk more with my primary coach, since he coaches at both rinks where I skate and he and my primary coach know each other socially, as well as skate-wise.

But for now I'm still with the secondary and primary coaches. I wish I could afford to bring the third coach on board.. since he has other areas of expertise and actually likes having adult competitors as students. I'm my primary coach's only USFS student. She prefers ISI. And I'm the only adult competitor my secondary coach has, although she has other adults who test USFS. Strangely enough, I like to compete -- but neither of my coaches encourages their other students to compete... they don't discourage it, though either.

I know other people who have a coaching team, and those coaches work together (although at separate times) with a skater. Mine is more patchwork.. but it seems to be working for me. At least, I like it!

Probably a lot more information about multiple coach situations than you ever could have wanted, right?

Thin-Ice
05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Duplicate posting deleted

Sessy
05-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Sent an application for a summer skating camp in august. Now I need to figure out which skates to skate it on, and a few other "insignificant" things, one problem at a time is a good way to go methinks though.

Crossing my fingers that my anckle will be better by then.

doubletoe
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Crabgrass
Oh, brother, where do I begin?!
- Didn't get around to trying any double toes at all in my lesson today (to answer your question, Sessy!). Instead, my coach decided to spend the lesson time changing the toeloop entrance that I'd been using for the past year and just paid my new secondary coach to help me fine tune on Sunday! :frus:
- My head got in the way on my double loop attempts on the ice. Fear/doubt made me pre-rotate my shoulders and head. I must have done 50 setups, without anything that felt close to a double loop landing. :frus:
- Tripped and banged my knee in my program
- Couldn't do a flying camel at all
- Couldn't do a reverse sitspin to save my life. . . for the second morning in a row. I told my coach, "I have to stop doing these. I'm screaming inside!" :frus:
A skating morning like this is like PMS x 10.

Daffodils
I'm having to dig through lots of crabgrass to find these little daffodils, which are almost wilted by now. . .
- Rocker-BI3-chocktaw was solid in my program again today. I've only been doing it for a week, so I'm still giving myself a little pat on the back for it.
- Toeloop takeoff looks like it's probably still clean after my new 2nd coach helped me clean it up on Sunday
- Landed a double loop on the floor on the first try (not that it did me any good on the ice. . .)

doubletoe
05-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Sent an application for a summer skating camp in august. Now I need to figure out which skates to skate it on, and a few other "insignificant" things, one problem at a time is a good way to go methinks though.

Crossing my fingers that my anckle will be better by then.

How much time would you have to break in your new boots before the skating camp?
Is there a really good shoe repair specialist in your area who could open up the ankle area of your current boots on each side and add a layer of leather in-between the existing layers to stiffen them up? That's what I have done with my right boot when it starts breaking down in the outside ankle (which always happens before the left boot starts breaking down).

Morgail
05-25-2007, 02:34 PM
OH!!! So THAT'S where all my jumps were today!!! Would you be kind enough to return it back to me in time for my lesson on Wednesday again, please??? :P

heehee! I'll send them back to you after my Tues lesson:lol:

herniated
05-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Crabgrass: Was totally intimidated today. Skated at a different rink and the skaters were all senior level. Made my skating look v..e..r..y slow. And I'm old enough to be thier mothers.

Daffodils: All the skaters were very nice to me and I became very comfortable with them by the end. And, I know skating with them will only help me improve.

Terri C
05-25-2007, 04:09 PM
First day back at the rink after testing last week.
As much as I tried and in my heart wanted to skate, it was all I could do to get myself in the rink.
Scratch spin- still having issues
Backscratch- okay but can be better
Sitspin- did some ones I thought were okay, but heck if I know if it was low enough.
Shared the ice with 3 girls between the ages of 10-12. You know the coaches are gone when they are goofing off like it's a public session and one of them brought a piece of pizza out onto the ice with them.
I am in such a funk. Any ideas on how to overcome it?

Sessy
05-25-2007, 04:53 PM
How much time would you have to break in your new boots before the skating camp?
Is there a really good shoe repair specialist in your area who could open up the ankle area of your current boots on each side and add a layer of leather in-between the existing layers to stiffen them up? That's what I have done with my right boot when it starts breaking down in the outside ankle (which always happens before the left boot starts breaking down).

A week. And no, there's no shoe specialists at all. There's only two places in the country where you can get your blades sharpened trusting them not to ruin your blades, let alone shoes. Most rink shops won't even stretch up the anckle for you (you know, to make room for the little bones at the side of your anckle). Sometimes I really wish I wasn't living in Skating Bananarepublic central, but on the other hand, where else is a 2axel enough to do nationals? Mwuahahaha I intend to learn one. I finally have this "pulling in" thing in the air figured out, it clicks in my head now. :)

Anyway I'm just crossing my fingers that Jackson is easyer to break in than Risport is. I'm pretty pain-resistant while on the ice for some reason, if there's blistering and skin comes off I'll live through that without a problem, just so long I don't get bruises. Although with these risports, my feet were entirely blue at some point and I was skating anyway, but it WAS holding me back on my jumps and that's undesirable for a camp.

Sessy
05-25-2007, 04:54 PM
LOL @ Jazz. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dbny
05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
There's only two places in the country where you can get your blades sharpened trusting them not to ruin your blades...........

Anyway I'm just crossing my fingers that Jackson is easyer to break in than Risport is. I'm pretty pain-resistant while on the ice for some reason, if there's blistering and skin comes off I'll live through that without a problem, just so long I don't get bruises. Although with these risports, my feet were entirely blue at some point and I was skating anyway, but it WAS holding me back on my jumps and that's undesirable for a camp.

I highly recommend the Pro-Filer (http://www.pro-filer.com/), which you can use without a professional sharpening for years on end.

Are your new Jacksons heat molded to your feet? If so, then they should break in considerably easier than the Risports. Bring lots of moleskin, and buy a good supply of those gel type bandaids. Check your feet after the first 10 minutes. If you see any red spots, then apply the moleskin or gel bandaids and you may be able to avoid any blisters. I would check again after the second 10 minutes. Take your skates off completely to check. It's possible to get blisters and not know until you have finished an hour or so on the ice, and then it's too late. I know it's a waste of ice time, but you can spare yourself some serious damage by being cautious.

doubletoe
05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
A week. And no, there's no shoe specialists at all. There's only two places in the country where you can get your blades sharpened trusting them not to ruin your blades, let alone shoes. Most rink shops won't even stretch up the anckle for you (you know, to make room for the little bones at the side of your anckle). Sometimes I really wish I wasn't living in Skating Bananarepublic central, but on the other hand, where else is a 2axel enough to do nationals? Mwuahahaha I intend to learn one. I finally have this "pulling in" thing in the air figured out, it clicks in my head now. :)

I agree that if your Jacksons are heat-moldable, you should heat mold them (just make sure you follow the instructions very carefully because I believe they require a convection oven, not a regular oven). If you find that your new boots are too stiff, try wrapping the ankles of your old boots with tape after you lace them up. It's an old trick but I guess people wouldn't do it unless it worked, LOL!

Sessy
05-26-2007, 04:02 AM
I think ice time will be the last I'll be worrying about before camp. :lol:
Thanks for the advise! What is moleskin?

I'd like one of those sharpening thingies but I've no idea what type I'd need, they have these different rockers and hollow sizes... And also, I don't know how it would be with customs. I've somehow always had a LOT of hassle with customs importing stuff from outside the European union and then had to pay lots of taxes over it too. I wonder if you can get them inside the European union somewhere?

Although it's really okay, one of the rinks you can get your skates sharpened at ok is our rink, the other is the rink in the city where my mother lives. :)

jskater49
05-26-2007, 09:10 AM
CRABGRASS CRABCRASS CRABGRASS!!!

Okay I'm going to have a mini temper tantrum right now. THEY CANCELLED MY BEST EVENT!! Adult pre-bronze compulsary. This is the one event where I actually earned a gold medal. Everything in it are my best elements - half lutz, beautiful lunge, fast two foot spin...okay well my waltz jump aint so good.

I really thought I had a chance, because if there were others about at my level, I do those well enough I can be competitive and if I competed against those folks who do bronze programs in freestyle...well they are usually working on real lutzes so their half lutzes are not usually so great and people who do advanced spins often forget how to do two foot spins. Pout pout pout.:x

Oh well. Remember, I'm the one who doesn't care how I place. ;)

j

Isk8NYC
05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the advise! What is moleskin?Moleskin is a adhesive-backed fabric that is used to cover "rub spots" inside shoes and skates. I believe it's flannel fabric, and sometimes it has a thin layer of soft foam as well, to further cushion the spot. You cut to fit. I used it on my old skates because the top edges were getting hard and causing abrasions on my calves.

Okay I'm going to have a mini temper tantrum right now. THEY CANCELLED MY BEST EVENT!! Adult pre-bronze compulsary. This is the one event where I actually earned a gold medal.

Oh well. Remember, I'm the one who doesn't care how I place. ;) Sorry "they" (who they?) cancelled it - could you skate up to the Bronze compulsory level? Are "they" refunding the fee? Anyway, you're mad about the event being cancelled, not about how you placed!

Daffodils:
I did three-turn Figures yesterday! Yay me, boy am I slow coming back to center; and I can't remember where to put my free foot - LOL

Crabgrass:
I drove an hour to teach a student who, for the second week in a row, didn't show up. The mother asked me just Thursday to save the time for her, and No Show. I'm charging her the lesson fee anyway, I don't care if she never comes back again or changes coaches - I'm p****d!

I wandered around doing Prelim MITF, but my heart wasn't in it -- there were a lot of kids on the freestyle with nosy parents watching, so I didn't really want to screw anything up. Wonder if there's a freestyle tomorrow at my "no one knows my name" rink?

jskater49
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry "they" (who they?) cancelled it - could you skate up to the Bronze compulsory level? Are "they" refunding the fee? Anyway, you're mad about the event being cancelled, not about how you placed!

It was cancelled due to lack of participants. Which is odd because the pre-bronze spins and jump events are still on. They will refund me. I can't do bronze because I can't even do a pretend salchow (like my pretend toe loop I'm dong for jumps) or a sitspin...but by goal is by January to compete in the bronze compulsary (that one does not require a sitspin)

j

tidesong
05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
daffodil:
I think I landed a double loop... i'm just really utterly confused now about how rotated it is enough to be called a double loop but its not definetly 100% clean (just like those double toe loop suspects....) haha...

double salchow and axel don't seem to be having too much issues...

crabgrass:
double toe... no good suspects today... all were pretty severly underrotated... just couldn't get into the feel for it.

this is very scary... i don't want to go into that whole oh maybe I have a double toe and double loop maybe I don't and then competition comes around again and then I have to drop them...:frus: I WILL GET THEM THIS YEAR...

spins... were okish, I worked on my change edge sit spins and they are still raw and new but just needs practise.

xofivebyfive
05-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Crabgrass: Oh man I took a really hard fall today. My first really bad one on a jump ever(I had one before and that was Wed. and it was more of a not landing on the toepick so i just kind of sat down fall). I was doing a flip, like I'd done about 6 times already and I landed funny and my legs went up in the air and I hit my head, my lower back, my elbow and somehow my knee. Can you say OUCH? I don't know if it was because I was skating in rink 2 instead of 3 where I usually skate, but it hurt really bad. My whole skate session today was pretty awful. I never fall, and I fell bad 3 times today. (maybe I shouldn't skate when I'm sick? lol)

Daffodils: I did manage to get some good height on my flip, despite being pretty scared to do them now. I used to just pick in and jump without any effort, so they were pretty low. But now I've learned that when I go to jump, to actually put some oomph into my jumping up, and it's helped a lot.(except that one time where I fell and died.)

liya_skatergirl
05-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Crabgrass:Only one hour of skating this week. I had my piano recital so I had to reschedule my lesson. I made it a point to go to the rink the next day, though. But I decided why not go to where my first ever competition will be held. So I did go. I guess the only crabgrass is that I had little time to get things done

Daffodils: I finally was able to get my spiral. Though I am only in Basic Alpha, I will compete this August, and my coach thinks I'd be capable of performing a spiral. I finally got over the fear of falling on my toepick, after getting some advice from a few people, and I was pretty confident with my balance since I similarly got tips. I am very close to holding it in a full split position, and maybe, if I work harder, I can get it there come the competition. I was also able to land my first ever waltz jump. Hey, who knows, maybe this rink means luck for me? I also found that the skating shop there is a dealer of riedell, and it's cheaper to buy skates from them than in my home rink. Actually, almost everything there is cheaper, so this means real luck :D

Sessy
05-27-2007, 05:13 AM
daffodil:
this is very scary... i don't want to go into that whole oh maybe I have a double toe and double loop maybe I don't and then competition comes around again and then I have to drop them...:frus: I WILL GET THEM THIS YEAR...

Do you think maybe you should skip the competition thing this year and focus on your skills? Get the doubles this year, then come back with a mean bite next year.

cathrl
05-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Daffodils:

After I don't know how many months, I finally passed the spin for my silver passport! Yay!

Not only that, but I've figured out how to get round the Foxtrot mohawk without skidding to a frantic halt and pushing off with the other foot afterwards :D

Crabgrass? Don't think we have that over here, but I guess it's bad:

Next up is gold passport, and for that I have to do the spin from a proper entrance instead of a wind up and toe push 8O

doubletoe
05-27-2007, 11:48 AM
daffodil:
I think I landed a double loop... i'm just really utterly confused now about how rotated it is enough to be called a double loop but its not definetly 100% clean (just like those double toe loop suspects....) haha...

double salchow and axel don't seem to be having too much issues...

crabgrass:
double toe... no good suspects today... all were pretty severly underrotated... just couldn't get into the feel for it.

spins... were okish, I worked on my change edge sit spins and they are still raw and new but just needs practise.

I'm working on those two jumps as well, and the thought of trying to get them into my program this season is stressing me out. When I think about how long it took me to get my axel and double salchow into my program, I realize that I will probably need to be landing the double toe and/or double loop clean (according to my coach's keen eyes) and at least 50% of the time before trying it in my program, and then I need to be landing it clean in my program 50% of the time before I should consider trying it in competition. So basically, I'm looking at next season, not this season, LOL!

phoenix
05-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Crabgrass: I foolishly taught in my skates for an hour Friday night, then HAD to teach in my skates yesterday for half hour, w/ a student who's testing in 2 weeks & needed to practice partnering. Now hip hurts more again. Not like before, but I did aggravate it. Luckily I have Sun-Mon-Tues totally off, so we'll see. I'm also thinking I will not teach on ice again the rest of this week.

So ticked at said student who's testing---last week had a great lesson, we made a lot of really good fixes. Then, he didn't practice once all week, so of course all the fixes were gone. I don't understand that at ALL...and this is an adult, who has plenty of time to practice. That short before a test, I'm eating sleeping & breathing the dance to be tested. :frus:

Skittl1321
05-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Today was birthday party sunday (apparently) so I only skated for 25 minutes before the little ones too over (very few skating, must running and then trying to slide as far as they could)

But the whole time I was skating the ice was all to myself!

I ran the PB MITF test 4 times. I need to work on waltz 8! And my crossovers, not having the hockey circles is really difficult. And CW perimeter stroking is really difficult, because with directional flow I rarely get to do that. My RFI 3 turn is the only thing holding my 3 turn pattern back. So I'm feeling good, but with this many things to work on, I won't be testing anytime soon.

jskater49
05-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Crabgrass:
So ticked at said student who's testing---last week had a great lesson, we made a lot of really good fixes. Then, he didn't practice once all week, so of course all the fixes were gone. I don't understand that at ALL...and this is an adult, who has plenty of time to practice. That short before a test, I'm eating sleeping & breathing the dance to be tested. :frus:

Just a little reminder that adults don't tell their coaches all the details of their lives and life sometimes does get in the way of skating and it really isn't always possible to eat sleep and breath skating. I had a coach whose life was skating and she had a real hard time understanding why that wasn't so with me.

j

das_mondlicht
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Completed run-throughs of Bronze moves as warmup. Moves are still in place! Compared to yesterday, today, I was extremely lucky to share whole sheet of ice with an ice dancer, working on her Gold dances and moves. I was in awe of her dances and effortless but poweful moves most of time. Inspired by her, I also worked on my F and B cross rolls and inside rolls. I did get some oomphs and rip sounds out of the forward ones. Worked on backward crossover power circle. I am getting the slow to fast rhythm and feel more comfortable to accelerate BXORs and glid out strong and fast with a nice-extension on BO. But, I still have a mental block on the forward power circle and can't get the acceleration at all. Overall, it was really a good work-out and practice (I did intentionally point my toes on all moves!) today. Counted as Daffodils.

tidesong
05-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I get what you mean doubletoe and sessy... well sessy I'm already skipping a competition in august for sure and I am trying to skip the competition in december too (right now its dead no... even if i miraculously get my double toe and double loop before that, I'll spend that time on my next double), so I can assess the situation then... (because usually application deadline for nationals is around end december) but I like going for nationals(should be around march)... its fun and I like seeing my detailled scores and I still haven't landed my double salchow in competition yet lol....

@doubletoe: yeah I only want to get the jumps this year, like land 50% in practise, I don't believe (although I do dream of it) I can really have them in my program either this season.

p.s. I don't know how (must have caught it from someone) but I managed to fall miserably sick after that practise, I was just only sniffling when I posted about it, but the next morning I had fever too and spent the whole sunday in bed.... (slightly better now...)

phoenix
05-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Jskater--

Yes, but he convinced me to rush into this test, & I based my final decision to let him do it based on that lesson. A coach is putting themselves on the line too, sending a student out to test.

Mrs Redboots
05-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Daffodils:

After I don't know how many months, I finally passed the spin for my silver passport! Yay!

Not only that, but I've figured out how to get round the Foxtrot mohawk without skidding to a frantic halt and pushing off with the other foot afterwards :D

Crabgrass? Don't think we have that over here, but I guess it's bad:

Next up is gold passport, and for that I have to do the spin from a proper entrance instead of a wind up and toe push 8O
Yay, well done!