View Full Version : Rebuilding soles

mintypoppet
05-21-2007, 03:59 AM
My dance coach has told me that he'd prefer it if I had two sets of boots - one for dance, and one for freeskate - because if I ever want to try for doubles, I'll need FS blades, and that he'd want me to use MK Dance blades rather than something like Coronation Dance. Rather an expensive solution.

However, I have an old pair of boots that I initially had problems with. They were only used for about six months, but the soles are full of holes from readjustments by various people. There's currently no space at all for new holes on one of the boots, and very little on the other. Is it possible to rebuild the sole so that a new blade could be mounted on them long-term? Or are they only fit for the bin?

SkatingOnClouds
05-21-2007, 04:17 AM
I think it depends how big all the holes are. I have plugged old holes and drilled new ones a few times, and the blades are staying put months later, even with the rough treatment I give them.

I used leather to plug mine, I bought a sole for re-soling men's street shoes, it is very stiff. I cut it into strips then used a sharp blade to trim it into rounds, then ensured each piece fit snugly in a hole with about 1/8 inch sticking out. I used contact adhesive, and when ready, pushed the strip into the hole, even tapping gently with a hammer to make sure it went all the way in.

If hole are very close to each other, I drill them into one hole, then cut leather a different shape, or pack it with a few pieces. It really does seem to work, at least for me. So perhaps it would work for you.

chantelly
05-21-2007, 05:01 AM
My coach told me once to plug any holes up with match sticks, really tightly and hammer it down so they really are stuck in there then they should hold as good as the previous sole. It worked for mine for 2 years anyway! I think we put wood glue in too to hold them stiff. HTH xx

kateskate
05-21-2007, 06:04 AM
My dance coach has told me that he'd prefer it if I had two sets of boots - one for dance, and one for freeskate - because if I ever want to try for doubles, I'll need FS blades, and that he'd want me to use MK Dance blades rather than something like Coronation Dance. Rather an expensive solution.

Off topic a bit but what blades do you currently have? I dance in FS blades with no problem.

Also, can you use bigger screws or has that been done already?

I've heard of the matchsticks and woodglue one too btw

mintypoppet
05-21-2007, 06:18 AM
MK Pro. And I regularly use you as an example for just that reason ;)

I pointed out to my coach that I'd been told I wouldn't need dance blades for anything other than gold level dances. He disagrees, and has muttered in the past about my tails and toepicks. I wouldn't want to switch to using them only, but if I have a spare pair of boots lying around that can be salvaged, it might be worth trying.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a go and see what happens! It's not like I'm going to lose anything by trying, as I hadn't expected them to be usable again anyway.