View Full Version : Four tests in one day = nutty?

looplover
05-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm really eager to get through pre-bronze and bronze moves and freestyle. Once I get this backspin GRR I think I can pass the adult bronze free...was thinking of testing all four in one day, but is that ridiculous? I figure on the first try why not...maybe will have to repeat the bronze freestyle by itself another time. Is that weird? Thanks!:)

techskater
05-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I know of several people who have done it or before MIF - PB, Bronze, and Silver all in one day

dbny
05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
If you and your coach feel confident that you can pass them all, then go for it! I know a young skater who just took and passed Pre-Pre and Prelim MIF and Freestyles all at one test session.

Isk8NYC
05-16-2007, 08:13 PM
It's a lot of work in one day - two MITF tests PLUS two freestyle programs?

Given the cost of testing, I wouldn't want to take a chance on blowing a Pre-Bronze test and thereby forfeiting the Bronze test fee. Just MHO.

If you're cruising on your tests, go for it!

phoenix
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
PB FS isn't exactly taxing--no program/music, just separate elements. If you feel confident in both Moves tests, why not go for it? Good luck!!

I took my first 6 dances on the same day.

TaBalie
05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
It's possible, but tricky....

I did that -- well I tried to at least. But we were kicked off the ice before I could do my Bronze freestyle test (long story). I was very very comfortable with the elements (I skated competitively as a child/teen), but even I was a *little* wiped out after my third test. Not tired, but just drained from the nerves, etc.

But it is possible... If you feel comfortable, and have done tons of run-throughs back-to-back, go for it!

jenlyon60
05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
It may depend on what your test chair allows.

The MIF/FS test sessions at my club are so full that our MIF/FS test chair rarely allows contingency testing other than at the Pre-Prelim/Pre-Bronze level.

If a lot of people sign up for a given test session, the test chair may choose not to allow contingency testing or limit the number of contingencies. Technically (by the rules) requesting to take both Pre-Bronze and both Bronze tests is requesting 1 test definitely and 3 tests as contingencies (the Pre-Bronze FS and the Bronze MIF being contingent on the Pre-Bronze MIF and the Bronze FS being contingent on the Bronze MIF result). Some test chairs may not have a problem with it, some could (depending on time of year and popularity of the test session).

Debbie S
05-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I took my Pre-Bronze MIF and FS tests in the same session, but I can't imagine also taking the Bronze tests. I was so drained mentally and physically after MIF and I know that my FS elements were not done as well as I could have done them. I was good enough to pass, but I think a key factor in getting through the FS was that I didn't have to actually skate a program. I can't imagine doing 2 MIF tests, and then a series of FS elements, and then a program - eek!

Have you ever tested before? If not, I definitely wouldn't recommend such a marathon for your first testing experience. Why don't you take the Pre-Bronze MIF and FS tests in the same session, and then take Bronze MIF and then the FS, in different sessions? If you are confident about all the Pre-B MIF and FS elements now, discuss it with your coach and go ahead and schedule the tests. Once you have the Pre-B tests out of the way, you can work on making your Bronze MIF strong so you can pass that test without a problem, and then take your Bronze FS when you get that backspin. Good luck!

looplover
05-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks all! I'm probably overeager. I'm in ISI FS4 now and want to compete in USFSA Bronze, but I don't even have a coach in NC yet. I think I'll so both adult prebronze and then adult bronze. I hope I can have them taken care of by the end of the summer.

Sessy
05-17-2007, 04:09 AM
Nah, I tested 5 in one day in december last year, under the dutch system. Passed all 5. :lol: Was my first testing experience, too. I wasn't nervous for the first few cuz I knew I could do them without a problem (silly stuff like swizzles, stroking, shoot the ducks, spirals, stopping), but I did get a bit nervous about the other 2 but I knew I could do them and I did.

Thin-Ice
05-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Is this your first USFS testing? Or have you done standard track testing? Have you watched a test session where you plan to test?

If this IS the first time you've tested, I think you'd be a little nutty (JMO) to try to do all four in one test session.... unless you are so confident that you will pass the PB Moves & FS and Bronze Moves.. and all you're worried about is the backspin.

As one of the earlier posters said, you are actually putting 3 tests on contingency.. and that means if the judges are encouraging you by passing you on one of those tests, they could think "What is this skater doing trying THIS test? The other one was just marginal...".

And if this is your first testing experience, I think you should wait until you have a coach who can hold your hand through the process. It's nerve-wracking enough to have to go through the process when you have someone to talk you through it, keep track of when your warm-up is (for each test) and can be the emotional buffer if you don't pass a test. Also, if you have a question about something, your coach could always ask the test chair or judge(s) involved while you are focusing on your next test, if you are doing more than one that day.

A lot of the kids take the Pre-Pre Moves & FS test on the same day.. and a few have taken Pre-Pre & Preliminary Moves in the same day... but I think it's easier on the skater to not do more than 2 tests in the same day.. unless you skated as a kid and are just trying to get the tests over with because they are filled with elements you've been doing for years. (i.e. we had one skater who passed her 8th figure test as a kid and now wanted to coach but she wanted to experience the MIF test feeling. Even she decided to take Pre-Pre through Juvenile in one session, her Intermediate & Novice in a second test session, her Junior test, then her Senior test, so it took her four consecutive months to do all her Moves tests and she was doing it "for fun" and to build up her resume.. but it's not like she needed to pass anything to qualify for a competition by a specific deadline.)

MusicSkateFan
05-17-2007, 06:44 AM
I did Silver MIF and Silver Free in one day and I would NOT do it again! It was quite draining. I had missed all other test dates due to knee surgery and recovering from that slowly so in order to Qual for Nats at Silver It had to happen in one day.

If you dont have anything pressing like that, why pressure yourself. Take the PB MIF and FS on the same day. Then sign up for B MIF/FS for the next 2 months later. (IMHO) I think the Bronze tests might be better taken at separate times.

Just a thought.

If you are a former skater just returning to skating then maybe you can handle all 4. It is a lot to think about for one day. I know in our club that would mean start testing at 8am and maybe not finish until 7pm!

jak0203
05-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks all! I'm probably overeager. I'm in ISI FS4 now and want to compete in USFSA Bronze, but I don't even have a coach in NC yet. I think I'll so both adult prebronze and then adult bronze. I hope I can have them taken care of by the end of the summer.

Usually you can compete up a level in USFSA. Meaning that if you've tested pre-bronze you can still skate bronze.

sk8er1964
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I know of several people who have done it or before MIF - PB, Bronze, and Silver all in one day

I did that. The intresting thing was having to do two different programs with different lengths of music (I just added a cut for the Silver test onto the Bronze music). However, if I didn't have to do it that way - I was trying to beat the MIF deadline - I would have taken them at seperate test sessions.

techskater
05-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Skater1964 - You were one of the people I had in mind when I wrote that comment! :)

coskater64
05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I have also done PB, B and Silver all in one day, it is rather taxing but not overwhelming. It does depend on your test chair, to allot that much time to one skater is a lot. As a test chair it has happened to me very often but if I only have 3 hours of ice I won't let one person use an hour of it especially if I have 15-25+ tests. Generally 20 tests depending is about 3+ hours unless you can get a double panel. If your test chair will let you then do it, but if I wear you I'd do the 2 FM tests first then once you have a flawless backspin do the 2 FS tests. Also remember it is okay to just keep going on the FM you can be on your novice or jr moves and still just be on your bronze or silver FS, believe me it is a huge advantage to have good edges power and flow.

Good luck!

:lol:

doubletoe
05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
If your test chair will let you then do it, but if I were you I'd do the 2 FM tests first then once you have a flawless backspin do the 2 FS tests. Also remember it is okay to just keep going on the FM you can be on your novice or jr moves and still just be on your bronze or silver FS, believe me it is a huge advantage to have good edges power and flow.

Actually, that's a brilliant idea! I have found it difficult to test MIF and FS on the same day because they are just such different animals. However, if you test two MIF tests on the same day, the first one gives you a great warmup for the second one (which is going to be the next set of moves in the series and almost always builds on the previous test).

Scarlett
05-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I would add that you could the two MIF test and the PBF on the same day. The PBF is actually easier than the moves tests as there is not a program just movements in isolation.

SynchroSk8r114
05-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Given the cost of testing, I wouldn't want to take a chance on blowing a Pre-Bronze test and thereby forfeiting the Bronze test fee. Just MHO.

If you're testing contigent, many clubs I know will refund or credit the tests that you are not applicable to take if you do not pass the previous one necessary. You might want to look into this...

saras
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm really eager to get through pre-bronze and bronze moves and freestyle. Once I get this backspin GRR I think I can pass the adult bronze free...was thinking of testing all four in one day, but is that ridiculous? I figure on the first try why not...maybe will have to repeat the bronze freestyle by itself another time. Is that weird? Thanks!:)

I tested those 4 tests on one day, and then when I started dance, I tested the first 6 dances on one day too (first two dance levels). If you're comfortable with all of the elements, go for it.

And for what it's worth, we threw together my FS program like a week before the test date. It was a LOT of work that week (I skated by butt off), but it was fine. For me, 1:40 was a short program, and after the test, I added music onto it, and morphed it into a Silver program. I think I did the Silver MIF and FS test on one day a few months after that.

Mind you, I was a returning to skating skater, and my FS was pretty solid Silver-test level at that point. I could not compete below Silver based on Juv figures and FS tests from 1981. I had no axel, but everything else was pretty much there. Getting the MIF elements sorted out took a bit of time, but not so much for the pre-b and b tests.

blackmanskating
05-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Wow!!! I am so glad I took a look at this thread before I decided to take all of my tests at once. I have never tested before however my coach and I are confident that I could pass through Silver MITF and Freestyle. I was just looking at my ability level, not at how the stress of testing would affect me. Maybe I should take it easy my first time around and do only Pre-Bronze Moves and Freestyle just to see how bad my nerves will be. If it isn't that bad then I'll test bronze through silver in one session if possible.

BlackManSkating

looplover
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
This is a great thread! I'm happy to get all of your input. I think doing the two moves and then the two FS is a good idea! I'm ISI FS4 but haven't done any USFSA tests and I know they're totally different, so I think that will be the plan.

Isk8NYC
05-18-2007, 07:27 AM
If you're testing contigent, many clubs I know will refund or credit the tests that you are not applicable to take if you do not pass the previous one necessary. You might want to look into this...
The rules vary from Club to Club. This is the standard disclaimer (which has to be agreed to and signed) in my area:
Since this is planned and paid for in advance, test fees are NON-REFUNDABLE (no exceptions, unless we cannot accommodate the test). If you sign up for a Moves and Freestyle test at the same level and do not pass the Moves test, the fee for the Freestyle test will NOT be refunded. If you take more than one dance test and one is of a higher level, you must pass the lower level test first in order to take the higher level test. If you do not pass the lower level test, you may not take the higher level test and the fee for that test will NOT be refunded.

I agree that the two MITF/two FS is a great idea!

Thin-Ice
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Oh yes, that's a GREAT idea, taking the Moves tests by themselves, and then using the PB FS test as the "warm-up" for your Bronze FS test.

My club also has the "standard disclaimer" on it saying if you choose to take tests on contingency and you don't pass the required test to take the second test, you forfeit the money. After all, the club has to pay for the ice no matter what the judges decide about the skater's performance.